Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-06, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/281/200 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 42%

Now I'm really curious... I ordered a sample, and went to the Sweetzfree site to check it out...

I have an online store and am wondering if I should be talking with Tate and Lyle about carrying it... I find the Sweetzfree order process really strange... Order window? Huh? I've never seen that before...

Plus I'm in Canada, and there's an extra charge for us to buy the product from them... I have the feeling that they're charging a fortune for bottles of this stuff... it would be nice to be able to sell it at a more reasonable price...

I don't quite get whether it's legal or not in North America though... Why does Tate and Lyle only sell this product in Europe?

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-06, 17:11

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

ok, I guess I need sharpening here. I clicked on Sample request bar on the left - but never got a dialog to put in any information or message -- is that what you all do?

nevermind - my IE had popups blocked - no worries now. put in the request - we'll see what happens.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-06, 13:33

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

I was foolish enough to supply an email address and got a response from Tate & Lyle - did you all get one and if so, how did you answer?
Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry concering sucralose. In order that we can
direct your enquiry to the correct department please provide us with
more inforamtion regarding your business and end use for sucralose.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-25-06, 14:52

Stats: 266/264/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:46.7/46.7/??
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS
I was foolish enough to supply an email address and got a response from Tate & Lyle - did you all get one and if so, how did you answer?

Hmmm....I don't remember if I got one or not. If I did, I'm sure I said it was for baking and wanting to be able to work with the diabetic market more.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 13:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Wow... 25% sucralose would be 600/4 times sweeter than sugar by weight, I think.

That's exactly correct. This is the commercial liquid sucralose, brand name SPLENDAŽ, as used by manufacturers and developers. They buy by the drum. This sample is for commercial users looking to develop applications and (hopefully, from Tate & Lyle's perspective) buy drums later.

#21   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 13:51
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBGuy
Now I'm really curious... I ordered a sample, and went to the Sweetzfree site to check it out...

I have an online store and am wondering if I should be talking with Tate and Lyle about carrying it... I find the Sweetzfree order process really strange... Order window? Huh? I've never seen that before...

Plus I'm in Canada, and there's an extra charge for us to buy the product from them... I have the feeling that they're charging a fortune for bottles of this stuff... it would be nice to be able to sell it at a more reasonable price...

I don't quite get whether it's legal or not in North America though... Why does Tate and Lyle only sell this product in Europe?

What do you guys think?

It's all about licensing. Tate & Lyle sold the North American sales/rights to somebody else a while ago, a year or two?

They (sweetzfree) are selling retail, if you want to resell it, I recommend you ask them if they have a wholesale price for you.

Legality is another question altogether. It's about licensing, and this commercial sample is intended for food and product developers. The sweetzfree and other repackagers (FiberFit, Liquid Gold, the original Zero Carb Syrup Base), unless they are either buying their sucralose from a knockoff sucralose producer or have convinced Splenda Inc that they are producing a legit food product, are operating without a license. Could be shut down at any time, if so.

Interesting system.

BTW, this subject has been discussed off and on, in the Canada, Products and this Kitchen Talk forum, since 2001.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Wed, Sep-27-06 at 23:54.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 14:19

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm sure sweetzfree is unlicensed. At least as of today. They're buying the bulk concentrate from a middleman company without Tate & Lyle's (or whoever own's the license) knowledge. It's not illegal, but if the manufacturer of splenda found out that sweetzfree was re-selling their product, they'd go to great lengths to shut them down. Over the years, Tate & Lyle has gotten quite a bit lax about persuing this type of gray marketeer- splenda re-sellers used to get shut down all the time and have to find a new source.

The reason why sweetzfree is successful is that they fly under the radar. This is why it's done through paypal. It's all hush hush.

Fiberfit is completely above board/fully licensed, but... it costs a lot more.

SBGuy, since sweetzfree is buying the liquid splenda from a middleman who is probably marking it up, all things considered, it's extremely competitively priced. Per cup sweetening equivalent, it's only pennies more than the Walmart brand, which, as far as I know, is the cheapest form of splenda you can buy. Considering the demand for sweetzfree in recent months, the owner (Diane) could have increased the price exponentially but didn't, which is a credit to her way of doing business. I really think she's committed to the LC community rather than being committed to making a huge profit.

If you wanted to bottle/sell the concentrate yourself, you'd have to find a company willing to sell you their concentrate on the down low, without charging you much of a markup for it. It isn't easy.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 16:47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I guess that isn't much help. You'd have to figure out how much a drop weighs.

Well wait... lets say you got an ounce of the stuff. So multiply that weight by 150 (600/4) and that's how much sweetener you have total. So... 150 oz or almost 19 cups of sugar.

But then you've got to go from oz to spoons or drops.

My brain is melting... can you call them?

No need to call them, 4 fl oz = 96 Cups of Sugar Equivalent OR 24 Drops = 1 Cup Sugar Equivalent (per Scott123's posts and Sweetzfree's website).

Just FYI :
1 Drop = 0.0648524 MilliLiter (and since it's mostly water, also 0.0648524 MilliGram).
...OR...
1 Drop = 0.01315752 TeaSpoon
...OR...
1 Drop = 0.00219292 Fluid Ounce.

Just the facts, ma'am!

#24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 20:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I got the same email asking for more information about what kind of business I have and what the uses for the sulacrose would be.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 21:56

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

I got the email demanding my intentions - but with a twist! Despite using the EU part of the site, I was told that as I lived outside the US, I couldn't have the liquid, just the powder.
So much for my excitement at the thought of getting liquid Splenda over here .... rotten spoilsports
Babs
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 00:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
I got the email demanding my intentions - but with a twist! Despite using the EU part of the site, I was told that as I lived outside the US, I couldn't have the liquid, just the powder.
So much for my excitement at the thought of getting liquid Splenda over here .... rotten spoilsports
Babs

You should try to get your mitts on that powder sample, Babs! All you need then is to mix the (very very fine and dusty, take care) powder with a 3:1 ratio of filtered water and you have your 4 fl oz of 25% solution making about 96C! I.E., if you get a 1 oz by weight sample of pure sucralose powder, mix it with 3 ounces/85mG/85mL of filtered or distilled water (better for long term storage).

I've got both items and I can assure you, that's all the pure 25% solution is. And it will last you a VERY long time.

Go, girl!

#27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 05:09

Jude, is the powder not the granulated stuff? I thought it was the normal kind you buy in a jar that had maltodextrin mixed in!
Oh dear, I won't be getting my free sample now after the snotty email I sent to them I had to say that I was trying to devise a diabetic range - not strictly untrue but the range is all for me
Babs
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 05:29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
Jude, is the powder not the granulated stuff? I thought it was the normal kind you buy in a jar that had maltodextrin mixed in!

Not!

Quote:
Oh dear, I won't be getting my free sample now after the snotty email I sent to them I had to say that I was trying to devise a diabetic range - not strictly untrue but the range is all for me
Babs

Try again with a follow up email...it's worth it.

#29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 19:47

Oh well, I suppose I can eat crow if I have to - it IS low carb after all
Babs
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-30-06, 17:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 243/238/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I got one email asking my intentions so I responded but now I have a second email asking for the name of my company, what products I plan to produce, etc. I don't think I'll get anything out of it. They may be getting pickier.