Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:03
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnx
Pot...Kettle...you know the rest.

Except I never said she was less. Find the quote, but I never said she was less. I said she was basking in her obesity and I said I didn't think it was healthy, but for pot/kettle to be true, I'd have to have said she was less of a person for being fat, and I've consistently stated just the opposite.

But thanks for showing that you're not reading my posts.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, the implication seemed pretty clear to me that in your opinion, anyone who is overweight and doesn't lose that weight - as you have done - is somehow a lesser person than you are.
JMO.

Rosebud
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:10

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 203/196/193 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
It's really sad when people BASK in their obesity.

http://eastbayexpress.com/Issues/20...ws/feature.html

Riiiiight. Because the quote above has zero negative connotations and no strong negative judgement? How about the thumbs down icon?

How many calories can you burn by backpedaling? *smirk*

L
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
It's really sad when people BASK in their obesity.

http://eastbayexpress.com/Issues/20...ws/feature.html

I've been all over the map on this issue: first being offended by fat activists, now I think they are doing a great thing... and they're incredibly intelligent, independent, and brave. To resist fat bias in this society takes a special person.

Really, clear the cobwebs. Why is it "sad" to love yourself as you are? Some people are just bigger. If today I decided to just eat and to keep eating as much as I wanted (that is as much as my BODY wanted), I would probably wind up my true size - which is definitely not 115. That's who I am... a heavier person, not skinny, probably not even thin. NEver have been thin eating normally, probably never will be.

I only restrict food and weight to feel good about myself. Not to be attractive or healthy, but to feel worthwhile enough to exist in the world.
So do almost all other dieters. On some level, we are all doing this because we don't feel good enough or acceptable as we are.

I wish I could actually believe those messages from that "yay scale". Imagine how much more free we could feel if we all loved ourselves no matter what?
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:13
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnx
Riiiiight. Because the quote above has zero negative connotations and no strong negative judgement? How about the thumbs down icon?

How many calories can you burn by backpedaling? *smirk*

L

I said that basking is being morbidly obese is wrong. I stand by that. I didn't say she was less of a person for it. I said she basking in something that I firmly believe is unhealthy.

Geez. You guys really like to twist my words, don't you?

Go back and read goddess' posts. I agree with her. Yet she doesn't get bashed and I do and we are in agreement.
  #96   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:17
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Really, clear the cobwebs. Why is it "sad" to love yourself as you are? Some people are just bigger. If today I decided to just eat and to keep eating as much as I wanted (that is as much as my BODY wanted), I would probably wind up my true size - which is definitely not 115. That's who I am... a heavier person, not skinny, probably not even thin. NEver have been thin eating normally, probably never will be.

It's sad to bask in something unhealthy and I believe that's what she's doing.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:18
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Yet she doesn't get bashed and I do and we are in agreement.

Newbirth, this is the War Zone. As I see it, this is a debate, not a bashing.
Maybe you should avoid posting here if you feel are feeling "bashed?"

Rosebud
  #98   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:19
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I'm not stepping on anyone. Everyone who is here is here because they WANT to lose weight. This woman is saying overweight people shouldn't lose weight. To accept yourself and want to change is one thing; to accept yourself and feel there is no need to change is quite another.

Please give me an objective reason why it is unacceptable to tolerate an individual who does not want to change a socially undesired weight.

Keep in mind we are talking about WEIGHT here, NOT lifestyle (that is diet and exercise). Even if we assume all fat people live "bad" lifestyles, and this is the basis on which you refuse to tolerate fat people... now you have to give me an objective reason for that. Why is it intolerable to make a choice to not exercise and to eat poorly? We all have flaws, no one's perfect. Liking physical comfort is such a small one if you really think about it.

Your entire argument seems to be that fat people offend you, therefore, should change themselves.
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:21

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 203/196/193 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 70%

Please show me where in the article Ms. Wann has talked about people who diet as being "lesser than" as a person.

You won't find it.
  #100   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:24
Registered Member

BF:
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Please give me an objective reason why it is unacceptable to tolerate an individual who does not want to change a socially undesired weight.

Keep in mind we are talking about WEIGHT here, NOT lifestyle (that is diet and exercise). Even if we assume all fat people live "bad" lifestyles, and this is the basis on which you refuse to tolerate fat people... now you have to give me an objective reason for that. Why is it intolerable to make a choice to not exercise and to eat poorly? We all have flaws, no one's perfect. Liking physical comfort is such a small one if you really think about it.

Your entire argument seems to be that fat people offend you, therefore, should change themselves.

I never said any of that, but that's okay. It's clear after 6 (no, pardon me...7 pages that no one is listening to anything that comes from MY keyboard, so go ahead and believe all that about me if you want. The fact that you have totally mistated my argument hasn't mattered before so it won't matter now.

I stand by what I said. The same sentiments come from someone else's keybopard and it's okay, so there's clearly something about the WAY I say thing that people don't like. If it were the ideas themselves, people are opkay with it.
  #101   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:25
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
It's sad to bask in something unhealthy and I believe that's what she's doing.

She's basking in herself.

Perhaps you have never been obese enough to know what it feels like... but htere comes a certain weight where in which you stop feeling human. You begin to feel invisable, and people treat you as if you were just worthless. Fat activists aren't celebrating their obesity. They are celebrating that they have a right to be considered human beings with worth, value, self-empowerment, and absolutely nothing to apologize for.

Weight shouldn't be an issue, and you can't tell how "healthy" a person is (lifestyle) by their weight necessarily. Even if you could, so what? If I see a man who smokes or a woman who drinks I don't think all this crap about how shameful they are and how they need to change. Being fat - liking food and not liking exercise - is a relatively *harmless* indulgence compared to sooo many others which are ironically more acceptable sociallys peaking (like, for example, drinking, smoking, casual drug use, being a shopaholic, being narcissistic, etc)
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:25
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Newbirth, this is the War Zone. As I see it, this is a debate, not a bashing.
Maybe you should avoid posting here if you feel are feeling "bashed?"

Rosebud

So letting people belive all sorts of lies about me is better? Right. Whatever you say.
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:29
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
So letting people belive all sorts of lies about me is better? Right. Whatever you say.

Lies? Newbirth, I honestly think you are overreacting a bit here. You are such a useful, productive member of this board, and I hate to see you getting this upset.
How about leaving this thread for a while if it is distressing you this much?

Rosebud
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:32
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Lies? Newbirth, I honestly think you are overreacting a bit here. You are such a useful, productive member of this board, and I hate to see you getting this upset.
How about leaving this thread for a while if it is distressing you this much?

Rosebud

Yes, lies. People have been saying all sorts of things about me...ascribing motives and thoughts and even words to me that I have never said or thought.

For example:
Quote:

None of that is true. And yet it is stated as fact.

Last edited by Newbirth : Thu, Sep-21-06 at 17:42.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 17:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
"What a paradox, that dieting should be such a lucrative industry in a country with such high obesity rates. Someone is obviously profiting from fat phobia in a big way. Take a nation of insecure people, bombard them with images of impossible beauty standards, and they will greet the latest fad with open wallets. Couldn’t those billions of dollars be better spent? Instead of trying to buy happiness, think of all the good that money could do if diverted to cancer research or stamping out hunger."

It's freaking sad that, as I saw the words "stamping out hunger" and "billions of dollars spent"... instantly my mind came to this conclusion: I can't wait for the day when researchers figure out how to stomp-out diet related hunger!

Then the shame when I actually read it, and realized how screwed up, comfortable, and shallow my life is.
Quote:
Oh please, Ms. Barto. There's no conspiracy to trick people into thinking they are fat to get them to buy weight loss products. Have you looked around lately? There are a LOT of people who are FAT! It literally breaks my heart to be in a public place like a restaurant and see someone whose belly sticks out in front of them at least two feet. My first thought is, "God, I can't believe that's how big I used to be." Then I remember the hard work I put into losing my weight and wish so desperately to help these people get healthier, too.

Ever notice how many people who recently lose weight seem to :
a) have a severe intolerance for fat people, and/or
b) have a missionary-like zeal to "save them" from a life of fat hell?

I went through those phases, too.

Ok, jimmy, and anyone else who may agree with him: this has nothing to do with fat people, but ourselves. Helping (or hating) obese people makes us feel more control over our own weights.

The problem at the nexus is and always was intolerance for ourselves.
If we loved and accepted ourselves, we wouldn't be fearful afraid or controlling about weight - we would only do things that were good for us, and we would trust ourselves enough to make the right choices as we perceive them to be.