Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 22:03

Plan: CALP, VegLC
Stats: 205/170/150
BF:
Progress: 64%
Smile HI guys!!!

I just wanted to add a thanks to SimplyMe! I have been struggling with this whole "low carb" thing for a month and a half now and I kept feeling as though I was hitting my head against a brick wall!! But thanks to this particular thread...I have renewed confidence that I will find a way to succeed!! My hubby took me book shopping today and believe it or not I found the Hellers book at Half-Price Books in the clearance section for ONE DOLLAR !!! I hope it helps me like it has helped you!!! THANKS AGAIN!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 22:16

Plan: don't know yet
Stats: 253/253/170
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

Hi .. I'm a newbie here -- been veggie for thirty years or more and shocked to discover I have very high cholesterol and deposits in my heart arteries -- shocking ! But you are inspirational to me ... I just took the quiz, and oh, yes, I am such a carbo addict !!

Anyone here working on high blood prssure or cholesterol ? I'm concerned because I think I need to do no-cheese and dairy, and few eggs -- very limiting !! Any ideas much appreciated.

Today, inspired by you all, I have bought the Heller's heart-health version of the locarb WOE, but it still has a bunch of cheese and eggs, What do you all think ??

I am SO HAPPY to have found this board !

Thanks -- looking forward to this adventure ! ( And I'm in New Zealand so some foodstuffs may have different names ..... )
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 08:46

Plan: CALP
Stats: 270/224/160
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Welcome!

I hope that you guys find the information helpful! I do believe in this WOE (Way of Eating/Living) for me. I do have to tell you all that I bought a new scale because I just DIDN'T trust the old one. <sigh>
It says I have a LOT more to lose then I first expected. It is hard for me to figure out how much I have really lost now but I believe it is somewhere around 25 lbs. I know that is really good and I will take whatever I can get! Much better than gaining it!
In regards to the question of cheese and eggs. You can also try tofu as a part of your protein sources. I use low carb bars for breakfast just so that I don't have qute as many eggs. Some people say the low carb bars aren't really low carb but my best friend, myself and my mom are all using them with success so... I say HORRAY! The only ones I like as I mentioned before are Carb Solution - Toffee Hazlenut. I don't think they taste very toffee like but they are pretty darn good.
I also have found that by not eating carbs twice a day that I eat far more veggies than I ever have.
I hope this helps!
Thanks for the notes! : )
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 19:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/186/143
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default thanks, veg friends!

wow, I am so psyched after reading this thread. I posted a few months ago about low carbing as a vegetarian and I got some wonderfully supportive replies. I did it for about 3 months, and felt good and lost over 10 pounds, but eventually I lost track of things and went back to my old "bread ways".

now after reading all this new info, I can't wait to go check out these new resources and websites!!! thanks!!!

Laura
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 15:28

Plan: just try to have very few carbs
Stats: 161.00/151.00/135.00
BF:
Progress:

Since the low-carb diet contains so much cheese etc., are there any other suggestions to what I can compliment my diet with? I did the low-carb very closely and lost 17 lbs., but plateau-ed and have gained a few back again. I found that I had to take Lactaid constantly to be able to digest the cheese and even with that I had problems. Please, does any one have any suggestions to what we can really eat on the diet, and how am I able to cut out so much meat? It seems my options for food are very limited on the low-carb diet. Please does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks and God bless you
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 06:45

Stats: 190/170/155
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default vegetarian

Jericho,
Good for you wanting to try the low carb diets. I am also vegetarian and was dismayed to read in Atkin's book to "reconsider" my beliefs. I have been on Atkin's for 2 1/2 years and although it is not as easy as meat eaters, it is possible. I live off the protien bars and cheese. I am funny about eating eggs so I only eat them when I feel I can stomach them. Good luck to you!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 06:56

BF:
Default musicmam

Jericho, Musicman and the rest of the veggie people,
There are some very good meat substitutes. My two daughters are also vegetarians and they were the ones who started to buy meat-like products. I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years and have never missed eating meat so I wasn't interested in trying them but I finally took a taste and was amazed. My entire family now eats only the vegetarian products and loves them.
Morning Star is the tastiest of all the burgers and we have tried them all. Some of them my dog wouldn't even eat! They also have a bacon and breakfast sausage that would trick the pickiest meat eaters, my family.
LightLife is something that we have recently discovered. They have a chub of Italian sausage that is delicious. They also have chik'n strips, which is easy to cook up and make a luncheon salad or stir fried for dinner. They have meat strips, and ground beef-like stuff but we have narrowed ours to the sausage and chick'n strips. But please try them all. They are relatively low in carbo's so they are conducive to this diet.
Most regular food stores are now carrying both brands although I buy mine at Trader Joe's because they have the cheapest prices on them. Good luck on finding them and enjoy!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 07:16

BF:
Progress:

Thank you, McTrish. I will look for those products and try them.
God bless you
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 08:45

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Trish --

A word about the protein bars -- on many other forums on this site, people have been warning about "hidden carbs" in them. apparently, the label information is not always to be believed. Some have gone so far as to say there are NO true low carb protein bars.

Your mileage may vary, but I gave them up last week in favor of more tofu and nuts, and I feel a lot better.

--Rhu
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 17:05

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking MEAT!!!

I can't help it! I love the stuff!! You know, my very own daughter...my flesh and blood, can't stand the thought of meat! I've met others like that. Now, me, that's another thing! I just love meat. I also love veggies...I think my main problem is that I just love FOOOOOD! If it even resembles food, I love the stuff. Now, if you have moral feelings, I can understand that, even if I don't agree with them...it's a free world, although you vegetarians are responsible for the reduction of most of the species of the world because of your nasty agriculture...HA! HA! Only kidding! Even if there is a grain (get it GRAIN) of truth in what I said. HA! HA! What the heck! If it isn't one thing, it's another that will eventually kill us all! After all, Life's a terminal illness, and nobody, to my knowledge has made it past much more than 100 or so years! Then, we all assume room temperature and rot. I love Emily Dickinson's poem about "Dust." I tried that vegetarian lifestyle once... made it a whole day and a half. I was so full of morality and health! Then, I smelled a burger cooking and it was all over. Call me a sellout. I couldn't resist. I COULDN'T! I think I'm just a product of my genetics over the last 3 million years. Yeah, I'm a throwback!
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 17:42

BF:
Default Rhubarb

Thanks for that tidbit on the protein bars. I did read about that on this site. Unfortunately, vegetarians are extremely limited. I limit myself to one or two a day. They are so convenient! I also think that if they are that far off, why hasn't some gov't agency demand they alter their content listing? I dunno!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 17:51

BF:
Progress:

I'd bought a whole bunch before hearing a lot of negative about the low-carb bars too, and , only to wonder whether I should be eating any or not..... I am not a vegetarian, and have a lactose intolerance which I treat with Lactaid. It is just a little hard to fill up if you don't use cheese etc. I hope I can find some information on how to balance the cheese intake as a protein and other tasty filling things.
God bless you
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 11:47

BF:
Progress:

Does anyone have any insight to the protein powders? It lists 230 calories, 2 g fat and 3 g carbs. ProM3 is one among others. It seems to be food for those lactose intolerant, but I was wondering if anyone had used them or found them to have hidden carbs or to contribute to the plateaus or stalls?
Thanks
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 19:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default Re: MEAT!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by captxray
...it's a free world, although you vegetarians are responsible for the reduction of most of the species of the world because of your nasty agriculture...HA! HA! Only kidding!

I hope you were just kidding: cattle, pigs and chickens don't grow on trees; they have to be fed massive amounts of grain.

I was about to go into a big veg/*an schpiel here, but forget it: http://www.veganoutreach.org/whyvegan/ sums it up nicely.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-02, 20:53

Plan: CALP, VegLC
Stats: 205/170/150
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Kristine

DITTO FOR ME....I love the site you mention too....Maybe we can convert some folks!!

GOOD JOB!