Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 10:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/264/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:46.7/46.7/??
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Pizza crust isn't difficult. I used to make it all the time. Especially easy if you have a kitchen aid or cuisinart you can "kneed" the dough with.

OK, so spill! how do you make it?! (I do have a KA mixer with bread hook)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Truly, as KevinPA has already suggested, he's got brownie AND pizza recipes with instructions on his Recipe Index 2 link below his signature (just float your mouse over it).

As a new forum user and a new LC cook (I remember years ago when I was a new LC cook, and there wasn't the forum or hardly any websites with recipes then...), the very best and most straight-forward thing you can do is to try out other peoples TNT (tried n true) recipes, especially those who have tried new ground. Use the methods written up in their recipes and learn as you go.

It's actually much faster and more effective (and less food waste) than trying to answer one question at a time.

Good luck to you!

#18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 11:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Truly, as KevinPA has already suggested, he's got brownie AND pizza recipes with instructions on his Recipe Index 2 link below his signature (just float your mouse over it).

As a new forum user and a new LC cook (I remember years ago when I was a new LC cook, and there wasn't the forum or hardly any websites with recipes then...), the very best and most straight-forward thing you can do is to try out other peoples TNT (tried n true) recipes, especially those who have tried new ground. Use the methods written up in their recipes and learn as you go.

It's actually much faster and more effective (and less food waste) than trying to answer one question at a time.

Good luck to you!

Thank you, but I did look at his 2 recipes. I don't want the chicken crust and I don't have the items listed (almond flour or protein isolate - I don't even know what protein isolate is!) for the cheese cracker crust. The biggest problem with the TNT recipes that I've seen are that the use things I can't find locally and my hubby will only let me order minimun $'s from netrition. (or any other online source) And hubby wants pizza NOW - made with the carbalose flour I (actually, he) just paid for.

It also doesn't help when people use abbreviations for ingredients in their recipes. Glad everyone else is such an awesome cook that they instantly know what 1C E is or 1/2C WPI or whatever...
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 14:13
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin12265
The biggest problem with the TNT recipes that I've seen are that the use things I can't find locally and my hubby will only let me order minimun $'s from netrition. (or any other online source) And hubby wants pizza NOW - made with the carbalose flour I (actually, he) just paid for.

Like this WOE (Way of Eating), this is also a new WOC (Way of Cooking). If you are looking to cook more speciality items that are as close to the real thing as possible, you will have to invest in restocking your pantry with speciality items such as PolyD, almond flour, more than just one sweetener, xanthum gum, wheat protein isolate, etc..Unfortunately, almost all of the items need to be ordered off the net. With that said...

These are worth the investment in the long run because otherwise you will be trying to re-create an item and will just not be satisfied with the results.

Sounds like if your husband wants it and wants it to be good, then he'll have to pony-up the $$. Can't have it both ways!

I agree with Island--there really is no reason to re-invent the wheel--most of it is done for us by the wonderful experimentation by Kevin, Scott, Island, and the many more wonderful and innovative LC cooks out there!! I'll try a "tried and true" before anything and then tweak it to suit my taste.

Also--no reason to have to find "new" internet sources. Most of us use the same sources because they are reliable, good customer service, and reasonable shipping--such as netrition, honeyville grains etc.

Good luck!!

Lisa
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 14:52
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Thank you, but I did look at his 2 recipes. I don't want the chicken crust and I don't have the items listed (almond flour or protein isolate - I don't even know what protein isolate is!) for the cheese cracker crust. The biggest problem with the TNT recipes that I've seen are that the use things I can't find locally and my hubby will only let me order minimun $'s from netrition. (or any other online source) And hubby wants pizza NOW - made with the carbalose flour I (actually, he) just paid for.

It also doesn't help when people use abbreviations for ingredients in their recipes. Glad everyone else is such an awesome cook that they instantly know what 1C E is or 1/2C WPI or whatever...

Robin, I'm sorry I was not able to help you. Since your hubby seems to be demanding a return on his investment I suggest you take your pizza dough skills and apply it to your carbalose flour. To date I dont think I have seen a recipe for pizza dough made from carbalose that people said tasted like the real thing and still was low carb.......Good Luck to you in your efforts.
BTW, when you do develop that crust be sure to come back and share your effort with us.

Last edited by kevinpa : Mon, Aug-28-06 at 14:58.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 16:17

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Actually Scott 123 came pretty close to a NY style pizza (using carbalose), and I've continued to experiment along those lines. Those recipes are around here somewhere.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 16:35
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira
Actually Scott 123 came pretty close to a NY style pizza (using carbalose), and I've continued to experiment along those lines. Those recipes are around here somewhere.

You might want to share your experiments with Robin then.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 16:40

BF:

Pizza crust...based on Scott 123' s recipes and adapted by me.
3/4 cup carbalose
1/4 cup WPI 5000
2 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
2 tsp dry yeast
3 Tbsp resistant starch
1 tsp polydextrose
1/2 tsp splenda
2/3 cup cold water

Mix dry together
Mix wet together
Combine the two. Mix thoroughly. Form into a ball and place in lightly oiled baggie. Refrigerate overnight, punching down once during that time.

Take dough out of fridge, punch down, form ball, return to baggie and leave on counter an hour and half.

Preheat oven to 500. Make sauce, grate cheeses (mozz and parm reg). Form crust by pressing fingers into center and pushing the dough outwards. Outer rim should be about 1/4-3/8" thick, middle crust no thicker than 1/8". Dust crust liberally with carbalose, place on aluminimum cookie sheet. Quickly add sauce, cheese and spray lightly with water.

Bake, bottom shelf at 500 until bottom of crust has a nice color and cheese is bubbly/brown.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
Robin, I'm sorry I was not able to help you.

I hope I didn't offend you in any way. It was not intended. DH can just be a real jerk about wanting 'the real thing'. We've gone through 5 different LC breads till he found one he would eat. (but heaven forbid I spend that money on myself/something I'd like to make - that's my lot in life, because I'm a stay at home mom and do not contributing to the income.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
I suggest you take your pizza dough skills

HAHAHAHAHAHA - I have no pizza dough skills. So he's stuck regardless. He expects Pizza Hut taste and texture...

If I do figure out something, I will post it.

As always I appreciate the help everyone has given me - it's confusing to learn to cook a new way when I wasn't THAT great of a cook to start with. I don't understand what all these strange named ingredients are and even when I kinda figure them out (by product descriptions on Netrition) it still doesn't tell me how to use them.

When we started eating LC again the first thing DH said was "I'm not eating those egg things again! They were lousy bread!" (meaning rev rolls) But we're both tired of steak, chicken, pork - day after day - with boring salads (we're not very adventureous with new veggies) and broccoli.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 16:43

Ira - But what on earth is WPI??????? I may have seen that recipe doing a search, but since I don't know what the ingredient is, I passed it by. I've also never heard of resistant starch.

I'm a mess. Sigh.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 16:54

BF:

WPI is wheat protein isolate, avaialable from netrition and honeyville grain. It's mostly protein, and resistant starch is kind of like cornstarch without the starch..
If you can get the ingredients, the resulting pizza is pretty close to the real thing.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 17:30

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira
3/4 cup carbalose
1/4 cup WPI 5000
2 tsp dry yeast
3 Tbsp resistant starch
1 tsp polydextrose
1/2 tsp splenda
2/3 cup cold water

this looks great - do you happen to have carb counts or ECC for this recipe?
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 17:50

BF:

.. I think that pizza crust is about 12 ish net carbs for the whole crust, or about 2 net per slice.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 18:11
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira
3/4 cup carbalose
1/4 cup WPI 5000
2 tsp dry yeast
3 Tbsp resistant starch
1 tsp polydextrose
1/2 tsp splenda
2/3 cup cold water

Mix dry together
Mix wet together
Combine the two. Mix thoroughly. Form into a ball and place in lightly oiled baggie. Refrigerate overnight, punching down once during that time.

Take dough out of fridge, punch down, form ball, return to baggie and leave on counter an hour and half.

Preheat oven to 500. Make sauce, grate cheeses (mozz and parm reg). Form crust by pressing fingers into center and pushing the dough outwards. Outer rim should be about 1/4-3/8" thick, middle crust no thicker than 1/8". Dust crust liberally with carbalose, place on aluminimum cookie sheet. Quickly add sauce, cheese and spray lightly with water.

Bake, bottom shelf at 500 until bottom of crust has a nice color and cheese is bubbly/brown.

Quote:
The biggest problem with the TNT recipes that I've seen are that the use things I can't find locally and my hubby will only let me order minimun $'s from netrition. (or any other online source) And hubby wants pizza NOW - made with the carbalose flour I (actually, he) just paid for

Well ira as I said before I have not come across any that just uses carbalose that resembles the real thing. As you can see Robin stated that she could not order the other ingredients that is necessary to make your crust
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 18:51

So, I try it with just plain carbalose this time...if it isn't good to him, too bad, so sad. Maybe then he'll listen to me (sharing what you all have told me) that next time it's in the budget to order from netrition, I'll be able to get some of these other things.

My next question/pondering would be, is Splenda sugary enough in nature to 'feed' the yeast?