Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 08:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I've started adding kale to soups. I put it in towards the end before serving when it still retains just a hint of crunch. The kids even love it.

2of3- The seeds of the pomegranate are the part I eat!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 01:37

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Pears are this week's featured seasonal food on Eat the Seasons, and are suitable from Phase 2.

Quote:
Phase 2: FRUIT
(Start with one daily serving, gradually increase to 3 total servings daily)

Apples - 1 small or 5 dried rings
Apricots - 4 fresh or 7 dried
Banana, medium-sized (4 oz.)
Berries, all - 3/4 cup
Cactus Pear Fruit (Prickly Pear)
Cantaloupe - 1/4, or 1 cup diced
Cherries - 12
Grapefruit - 1/2
Grapes - 15
Kiwi - 1
Mangoes - 1/2 medium (4 oz.)
Oranges - 1 medium
Papaya - 1 small (4 oz.)
Peaches - 1 medium
Pears - 1 medium
Plantain
Plums - 2
Prunes - 4
Tangerines
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 01:55

BF:

From today's SB Daily Dish free newsletter:

Quote:
Winter Fruits: Cranberries

Cranberries are much more than just a traditional Thanksgiving side dish. They're a tart but tasty fruit that offers many health benefits. Research has found that cranberries are a unique source of the phytochemicals (plant chemicals) known as proanthocyanidins. Studies show that these compounds prevent harmful bacteria from adhering to the lining of the urinary tract, thereby preventing painful urinary tract infections.

While frozen cranberries are available year-round, now is the perfect time to enjoy fresh, unsweetened cranberries. They're in season from September through December. You can enjoy unsweetened cranberries starting in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet.

Buying
At this time of year, cranberries are available fresh or frozen. If you're purchasing fresh cranberries, make sure they're firm and bright red, with no signs of discoloration. If you're buying frozen cranberries, make sure they aren't packaged with added sugars.

Storing
Keep fresh cranberries in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, or freeze them in an airtight bag or container for up to a year. (Freezing is an especially convenient storage method for cranberries because they don't need to be thawed before cooking.)

Preparing
Cranberries, which are too tart to be eaten raw, become tangy-sweet when cooked. They make a vibrant holiday relish and a tasty addition to salads and home-baked, whole-grain breads. More delicious options: Add cranberries to homemade compotes, toss them in wild rice or other warm-grain salads, or combine them with other fall fruits, like apples and pears, to create delicious, fruity and whole-grain crisps. However you choose to use them, make sure you offset their tartness with other ingredients.

http://www.southbeachdiet.com/publi...dd_20071102.asp
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 02:51

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 170/144/135 Female 165cm
BF:no idea
Progress: 74%

I'll definitely be on the look out for the fresh cranberries in the supermarket.
I think I'm going to enjoy experimenting with them.

2/3
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 15:22

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 165/135.1/130 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:36%/27.5%/26%
Progress: 85%

Thanks, Demi! My mom makes a delicious cranberry relish at Thanksgiving and Christmas that is amazing piled on top of turkey! It has a lot of sugar in it, but I'm going to experiment with using Splenda instead this holiday.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-07, 03:55

BF:

Brussels Sprouts are this week's featured seasonal food on Eat the Seasons, and are suitable from Phase 1 onwards.

One of the recipes featured is Creamed Sprouts with Chestnuts and Bacon.
As someone who 'hates' Brussels Srpouts, I was intrigued to read the following:
Quote:
Some people think they don’t like Brussels sprouts. Try this simple and delicious concoction on them and ask them to think again. It works as a great accompaniment to the Christmas roast, be it goose or turkey or (especially) a hot, glazed Christmas ham. But it’s also a nice winter supper dish on its own.
http://www.rivercottage.net/Seasona...tid=591&cid=152

FYI, to make the recipe more SB-friendly, you could substitute the double (heavy) cream with FF cream cheese, for example.
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-07, 09:30
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

From Today's South Beach Daily Dish:

Quote:
Wild Rice, Dried Cranberry, and Walnut Stuffing (Phases 2 & 3)

Serves 8

Description
Although we call it stuffing, this colorful dish is almost too pretty to hide inside the bird. Be sure to use cranberries without added sugar, available at natural food stores. Tip: Leeks can be gritty. The easiest way to clean them is to trim off the root end, then thinly slice. Put slices in a colander and run cold water over them, separating layers with your fingers to wash away any hidden dirt.

Ingredients
4 cups reduced-sodium
chicken broth
2 cups wild rice, rinsed
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium leeks, trimmed, thinly
sliced and cleaned
2 large celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup (4 oz) dried cranberries
(unsweetened)
5 tsp chopped fresh sage
Salt and black pepper

Instructions
1. Place broth in medium heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in rice; cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 45 minutes or until the rice is tender and liquid has absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, warm oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat.
Add leeks and celery; cook 10 minutes, until softened, stirring. Transfer to large bowl.
3. Stir rice into bowl with vegetables. Add walnuts, cranberries, sage, salt, and pepper.
4. Use mixture to stuff turkey. Alternatively, coat a large casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray; add stuffing and an additional 1/4 cup broth. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for about 20 minutes.

Make-ahead tip: Stuffing can be made 1 day ahead, through step 3. Cover and refrigerate. Let come to room temperature before continuing with recipe.

Nutritional Information:
336 calories
13 g total fat (1 g sat)
86 mg cholesterol
48 g carbohydrate
11 g protein
5 g fiber
13 mg sodium

Herb Roasted Turkey Breast (Phase 1)

8-10 servings

Description
Skinless turkey breast is an excellent lean protein choice -- during the holidays and year-round. Unlike traditional roasted turkey recipes, we've added the rub to the both the meat and the skin. Since the meat is seasoned, it tastes fabulous without the skin, which is how you should eat it. Tip: To ensure a thoroughly cooked bird, stick a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the breast. The turkey is done when the thermometer registers 160°F and the juices run clear. For a moist bird, let the roast rest before slicing; this allows the juices to distribute throughout the meat.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 medium shallot, chopped
Salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 bone-in turkey breast (6-7 lb), rinsed

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. In a food processor, combine all the herbs, shallot, and salt and pepper; pulse to combine and further chop herbs. Add oil and mustard; pulse until the mixture forms a loose paste.
2. Pat turkey dry with paper towels and place on lightly oiled V-rack in large roasting pan, skin-side up. Using a sharp knife, cut and discard any extra flaps of skin. Using your fingers (and a knife, if needed), loosen skin from meat of breast. Slip half of the herb paste over each side of breast, using your fingers to spread it around. Rub remaining herb paste on turkey skin.
3. Place pan in oven, wide neck facing oven rear. Roast for 15 minutes; then rotate pan and roast an additional 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°F. Roast another 45 to 50 minutes, or until the meat thermometer registers 160°F. Rotate pan 15 minutes before cooking time is over. Remove from oven; transfer to cutting board and let rest 15 minutes before carving.

Nutritional Information:
278 calories
4 g total fat (1 g sat)
153 mg cholesterol
1 g carbohydrate
55 g protein
0 g fiber
103 mg sodium
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-07, 09:41
Attitude is a Choice

That looks great Demi....I made brussel sprouts a new way for me the other day and I have to say that it came out fabulous!! I saw it on Rachel Ray but modified it to me: Brussel Sprouts and onion

Ingredients:
1 onion finely chopped
1 pint of brussel sprouts
olive oil
5-6 garlic cloves
crushed red pepper to taste ( I use about 1 tsp)
2 slices of turkey bacon crumbled
splash of vinegar( I used raspberry)
1 tsp caraway seeds

In a frying pan, heat up the olive oil, chopped fine garlic cloves and crushed red pepper for a few minutes until the flavor is releases from the garlic, when you smell it cooking, add in the chopped onions and let it sweat until the onions are translucent.

While the onions are sweating, cut off the ends of the brussel sprouts and slice them thinly as you would a cabbage. They are mini cabbages, after all.

When the onions are done, add in the crumbled bacon, sprouts, caraway seeds and vinegar and sautee for several maybe up to 10 minutes, or until done.

This came out really yummy!!
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-07, 04:18

BF:

Turnips are this week's featured seasonal food on Eat the Seasons, and as a root vegetable, are suitable from Phase 2 onwards.

Quote:
turnip Notes: Turnips can be roasted, boiled, steamed, or stir-fried. Select small turnips that feel heavy for their size. Substitutes: rutabaga (larger and sweeter than turnips; takes longer to cook) OR kohlrabi bulbs (similar flavor) OR black radish (more pungent) OR celeriac OR parsnip OR carrot OR salsify OR daikon
http://www.foodsubs.com/Roots.html
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 13:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
Runner beans are actually a type of bean similar to standard green beans actually so different than sugar snap peas. Just a different term used in a different area of the world fyi. Both are very tastey and nutritious though of course.

I was going to say that those beans looked identical to the fresh green beans I bought at the store for Thanksgiving ...
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
That looks great Demi....I made brussel sprouts a new way for me the other day and I have to say that it came out fabulous!! I saw it on Rachel Ray but modified it to me: Brussel Sprouts and onion ...

I love ANY recipe with Brussel Sprouts.

I had never had a brussel sprout until I was a teenager at my friend's house ... I had always seen them on TV shows where the kids never wanted to eat them. So I always thought they were something gross. It happened to be a veggie that my mom never cooked (she cooked every other veg under the sun) ...

So when I first tried them I said "I LOVE THESE ... I'VE BEEN CHEATED ALL THESE YEARS!!"

Now my 8yo eats them with me all the time ... I sold them to her as "baby cabbages" ... she loves anything in miniature!
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-08, 03:49

BF:

In season: purple sprouting broccoli

Vegetable gardens in some regions may still look like Narnia — new life suspended under ice and snow — but something is growing; something colourful, crisp and good for you: purple sprouting broccoli (PSB).

Compared with the densely packed green heads of standard broccoli, PSB is more “free range”, the flower heads loosely packed and the leaves well spread. Look for tender, crisp stems, rather than large, floppy ones.

Keep the cooking simple and the flavours compatible. Steam or boil for about six minutes, or cut into small pieces and stir-fry for three minutes.

PSB goes well with bacon, anchovies and garlic; with chilli, olive oil and pasta; with hollandaise or balsamic vinegar; and with soy, ginger and Chinese rice wine.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/li...ticle729005.ece
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 12:21

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Any one cook with real Ginger?

I've been thinking about trying something but not sure if I'll like it. I'm not fond of ginger snaps (cookies) that is the only thing I know of ginger. So any insight would be helpful.

I found this on the eating well web site.
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/c...=EWHNL#desserts

Thanks.
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 16:11
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippie

I've been thinking about trying something but not sure if I'll like it. I'm not fond of ginger snaps (cookies) that is the only thing I know of ginger. So any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

I know that its used in a lot of asian dishes.....maybe look up asian recipes to see if there is somehting that you'd like to try.

I know that I like pickled ginger when I eat sushi.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Feb-29-08, 04:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippie

Thanks.
If you're thinking about using real ginger, you might find it this article interesting and helpful: Ginger Winner

I do use it myself, and something I really like is to use it, as the article suggests, to make ginger tea