Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 14:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
day is suppressing an overactive GNG in some people

GNG is what? No fair sneaking in new acronyms when I'm not paying attention!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 14:55

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

GNG = GlucoNeoGenesis.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, May-23-06, 09:39

Plan: mumble
Stats: 273/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:yup
Progress: 59%

A weird experience...

I've been experimenting with this gimmick for a few days, and frankly hadn't noticed any effect at all. I was using extra virgin, rather than extra light, olive oil, because it was what I had at home. EVOO, of course, has some taste, and especially an acidic aftertaste. In any case, I noticed no alteration in my appetite, and no weight loss.

Keep in mind that I've been doing the modified "warrior" diet, with a single large fairly lowcarb meal a day, but I've not been very strict about it for the last week or so. Didn't lose any weight either.

Anyway, yesterday I went food shopping and decided to pick up a bottle of extra light olive oil. When I got the stuff out to the car, it was about 3:30, so I decided to open the bottle of ELOO and have a little nip. About a tablespoon. It was very bland and tasteless, as advertised. I was already pretty hungry while doing the shopping, so I got one of those cooked rotisserie chickens that smell so good.

We didn't eat until 5:45, by which time I was *famished*, and thinking to myself, If this ELOO is supposed to diminish my appetite it's not working. I was hungrier than I usually am at that hour. I got a call from my daughter saying she wouldn't be home for dinner, and my first thought was Thank God, because that's more of that chicken for me!

So, I put about 6 ounces of chicken breast on my plate, fully expecting to have more soon, and a stalk of broccoli and a tossed salad, with jalopeno ranch dressing. That was all. Now the weird part: By the time I finished this plate of food, I couldn't eat another bite. I had to force myself to eat the last chunk of tomato in my salad. I was...done. Didn't have another bite for the rest of the evening.

I've never experienced anything quite like this. I hadn't had a bite all day, and I was *really* hungry when I sat down to eat. I fully expected to have second portions of everything, because that would have been normal under these conditions. But by the time I finished this fairly normal plate of food, I had no interest in eating any more.

Obviously, I don't know if this had anything to do with the ELOO. It may have been just a coincidence. If it *was* the ELOO, it didn't work the way I would have expected. That is, it didn't diminish my appetite prior to eating at all, but somehow accelerated my satiety. I really don't see how a sip of ELOO two hours and 15 minutes before a meal could do that.

I'll repeat the experiment today and see what happens. I just thought this would be of interest to the other voodoo fans here.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, May-23-06, 22:22

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Woo.Woo.Woo. This is some voodoo! Bet it happens again. And again.
When I make broth from boiled beef and bones it has a thick 1/8-1/4 inch thick layer of fat on top (most apparent when congealed). When I eat that (oily) beef broth it greatly diminishes my appetite. Different substance, but same principle.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, May-23-06, 22:32
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
A weird experience...

I've been experimenting with this gimmick for a few days, and frankly hadn't noticed any effect at all. I was using extra virgin, rather than extra light, olive oil, because it was what I had at home. EVOO, of course, has some taste, and especially an acidic aftertaste. In any case, I noticed no alteration in my appetite, and no weight loss.

Keep in mind that I've been doing the modified "warrior" diet, with a single large fairly lowcarb meal a day, but I've not been very strict about it for the last week or so. Didn't lose any weight either.

Anyway, yesterday I went food shopping and decided to pick up a bottle of extra light olive oil. When I got the stuff out to the car, it was about 3:30, so I decided to open the bottle of ELOO and have a little nip. About a tablespoon. It was very bland and tasteless, as advertised. I was already pretty hungry while doing the shopping, so I got one of those cooked rotisserie chickens that smell so good.

We didn't eat until 5:45, by which time I was *famished*, and thinking to myself, If this ELOO is supposed to diminish my appetite it's not working. I was hungrier than I usually am at that hour. I got a call from my daughter saying she wouldn't be home for dinner, and my first thought was Thank God, because that's more of that chicken for me!

So, I put about 6 ounces of chicken breast on my plate, fully expecting to have more soon, and a stalk of broccoli and a tossed salad, with jalopeno ranch dressing. That was all. Now the weird part: By the time I finished this plate of food, I couldn't eat another bite. I had to force myself to eat the last chunk of tomato in my salad. I was...done. Didn't have another bite for the rest of the evening.

I've never experienced anything quite like this. I hadn't had a bite all day, and I was *really* hungry when I sat down to eat. I fully expected to have second portions of everything, because that would have been normal under these conditions. But by the time I finished this fairly normal plate of food, I had no interest in eating any more.

Obviously, I don't know if this had anything to do with the ELOO. It may have been just a coincidence. If it *was* the ELOO, it didn't work the way I would have expected. That is, it didn't diminish my appetite prior to eating at all, but somehow accelerated my satiety. I really don't see how a sip of ELOO two hours and 15 minutes before a meal could do that.

I'll repeat the experiment today and see what happens. I just thought this would be of interest to the other voodoo fans here.

Which is it--Evoo or Eloo?
  #51   ^
Old Wed, May-24-06, 05:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Which is it--Evoo or Eloo?

ELOO is what I switched to, and am now using.

Incidentally, my experience last night was similar, though not as dramatic. I took the ELOO at about 4:45, and didn't eat until 7:00, by which time I was quite hungry. I was at a restaurant and ordered a steak salad with crumbled bleu cheese and a pint of ale (so much for low carb). The salad had vinaigrette dressing. It's hard for me to estimate the calories, but there wasn't that much meat on there--maybe four ounces. With the cheese and dressing, it was maybe 600 calories, tops. The ale was about another 200 calories, and 20g of carbs. So, that's 800 calories. I finished and, once again, had no desire for any more food, or ale, for that matter. That was it for the night. Although 800 calories is plenty for a single normal meal, my usual "warrior" meal would normally be at least twice that. In fact, if this ELOO effect persists, I'm going to have to add another meal to my schedule to avoid undereating.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, May-24-06, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ubizmo, perhaps you could try using olive oil (with taste) again, and report your results? Just to be sure that there truly is a difference between regular and light olive oil, and it wasn't just a fluke...
  #53   ^
Old Thu, May-25-06, 07:57

Well, this isn't the controlled experiment you were looking for, but yesterday I forgot the oil altogether, but I still got the fairly quick satiety effect. Possibly my stomach is gradually contracting from the IF plan I'm following, and I'm just noticing it. If so then that's a confounding variable and I can't really experiment with shangri-la voodoo at the same time.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, May-25-06, 11:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Well, this isn't the controlled experiment you were looking for, but yesterday I forgot the oil altogether, but I still got the fairly quick satiety effect. Possibly my stomach is gradually contracting from the IF plan I'm following, and I'm just noticing it. If so then that's a confounding variable and I can't really experiment with shangri-la voodoo at the same time.

From an analytical, clinical viewpoint it may be a disappointment, but sometimes you hit upon a synergy that is inexplicable.
Confound it! Explain 'lossohydrates' to me....No? Oh well, they somehow work.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, May-25-06, 14:03

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:

According to other Shangri La dieters, the effects spill over. I don't know, because I haven't missed a day yet.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, May-26-06, 02:01

Plan: shangri-la
Stats: 173/173/140 Female 165
BF:
Progress:
Default shangrila- la diet rules

Please I need a clear confirmation of when to take the Oil or sugar solution.

Is it 2 hours before food or one hour before food then another hour after food.

I have ordered my book from amazon but it will be a few days before it arrives.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, May-26-06, 08:17

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi,
It is at least one hour after eating take the oil or sugar water then wait at least another hour before eating.
Pat S.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 05:05

Plan: low carb dabbler
Stats: 180/175/140 Female 5'5
BF:37%/36%/20%
Progress: 13%
Smile it workes

starting from Thursday I decided to give this Shangril- la diet thing a go, got the Extra light oil and sugar water, it's usually outing's that send my diet into oblivion, but i noticed that I was able to contol my eating at all the outings i went to on all the nights(Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday). I am a believer.
No weight gain whatsover.

Holidays come on.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, May-29-06, 08:33

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

That is the thing I like best about Shangri-la I can go out and with the reduced appetite I don't gain any weight.
Good Luck to you
Pat S.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, May-30-06, 04:17

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Same here. I went to a Memorial Day bbq yesterday. There was lots of good food, and I had decided beforehand to have a few more carbs than usual. I filled my plate, tasted some of everything, enjoyed it, but left most of my food unfinished.

I really love not having special occasions like that ruined (as they always have been) by my obsessing over either eating too much or restraining myself and feeling deprived and left out.

As of yesterday morning (I'm trying to weigh only on Mondays) I have lost 5.4 lbs. since I started the Shangri La diet on May 15.