Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 07:54

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

I cannot say for sure, but based on what I know, I'm sure it varies a lot. Anywhere from several sets broken out over an entire day, to every other day, to maybe even as much as 5 times per week. I would say the tempo is somewhere around 214, 204, 203, 215 etc. Not to be confused with the 'super-slow- mo' training. The frequency and tempo are just two variables that make up a training cycle. Typically, one or maybe two exercises are used. Training volumes are usually very hight, so adding several exercises is not usually the case.

Are you wanting my opinion on tempo or something else?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 09:15
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 130/129/116 Female 5' 2.5"
BF:24%/21%/12%
Progress: 7%

Sure, what tempo were you working with when you were into MA? I usually alternate weeks of exploding up, and maybe 4 counts down with 1-0-1
  #63   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 11:53

I was doing a lot of explosive interval training with ballistic type movements (cleans, jerks, snatches) alternated with a 2-1-3 (average tempo) on the grind type exercises (squats, deads, presses, pull-ups etc). Used various combinations of sets, reps, rest periods, exercises and %1RM. I also incorporated a lot of strongman/highland games style exercises as well.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 12:16
Registered Member

Thanks again kbfunTH!

I am still working on my new training program and I am trying to make sure I train for-

strength
speed
power
endurance
coordination
flexability
agility
balance

Your input has really helped.

Sandy
  #65   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygrady
Thanks again kbfunTH!

I am still working on my new training program and I am trying to make sure I train for-

strength
speed
power
endurance
coordination
flexability
agility
balance

Your input has really helped.

Sandy

Happy training. Be ready to start moving some serious weight in the next few months. You should notice a considerable difference in the toneness of the muscles before long.

Two other things to keep you busy with.
Synaptic Facilitation (link to get you started - http://www.cbass.com/Synaptic.htm)

myofibril hypertrophy (http://www.redwhiteandbluefitness.c.../ShowPage/32296)
  #66   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 16:49

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

your list of skills/fitness area's sounds like it would fit well in the crossfit page - if you haven't read the materials there you might like them - many there use crossfit as their base fitness routine to support their martial arts (or parkour) sport.
www.crossfit.com
and 2 intro articles - the first lists 10 fitness areas and reviews energy systems
http://crossfit.com/cf-info/what-fitness.html
http://crossfit.com/cf-info/what-foundtn.html

warning: they are very into the Zone in terms of nutrition and will tell you to eat more carbs if you ask for diet advice <G>
  #67   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 18:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS
your list of skills/fitness area's sounds like it would fit well in the crossfit page - if you haven't read the materials there you might like them - many there use crossfit as their base fitness routine to support their martial arts (or parkour) sport.
www.crossfit.com
and 2 intro articles - the first lists 10 fitness areas and reviews energy systems
http://crossfit.com/cf-info/what-fitness.html
http://crossfit.com/cf-info/what-foundtn.html

warning: they are very into the Zone in terms of nutrition and will tell you to eat more carbs if you ask for diet advice <G>

The crossfit methodology is definitely intense. I found them about a year ago now and enjoy reading about the training that goes on over there. I've added some things from there to my own training. I was impressed with some of the girls over there and how many pull-ups some of them are doing. They fall into the catergory (or close to it) of 'physical bad a$$.'
  #68   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 11:33
Registered Member

Thanks Lisa,

The work outs look intense! What a great resource! I am sure I will be referring to them often. I love how they change workouts/challenges daily.

Thanks for the heads up on the zone diet mentality too, I'll keep that all in mind.

Sandy
  #69   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 13:15

their workouts are intense, but scalable. if you can't do the weight listed, just scale it back. BrandX in the forums section usually lists 3 or 4 versions of the workout in the Crossfit WOD section, scaled to different abilities to give you ideas.
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/
  #70   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 15:26
Registered Member

oooh, thanks Lisa!!!
  #71   ^
Old Wed, May-17-06, 19:19

I also like the workouts at Coach Rutherford's blog - they are the same style as crossfit, sometimes the same workouts, but many times I find them more "approachable".
http://coachrut.blogspot.com/
  #72   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 11:17

http://kettlebell-training.com/arch...gy-ket-110.html

"This article was written by Bill Cullen, RKC (Russian Kettlebell Certified instructor). This workout routine is highly sought out as a grueling cardio-builder and fat-loss regime. As the title states, it is a man-maker and I would suggest you start out on the easy end of it lest you want to give yourself a heart attack.

On to the article:

Okay, comrades, it's been eighteen months since I picked up my first kettlebell. I'm a retired Army Special Forces Master Sergeant and a certified kettlebell instructor. After twenty years in the Army, I thought PT had to be four to ten miles of running a day along with the daily dozen (pushups, sit-ups, you name it!) My lower back was shot. My knees and ankles ached from years of parachute landing falls and countless days under the pain bag (anyone who's been there knows).

As soon as I retired, I was hired by a government agency and became partners in pain with Jeff Martone, who is one of Pavel's excellent kettlebell instructors, a master of physical fitness and combat. Jeff designed a super physical training program for our agency using PTP concepts, bodyweight exercises and kettlebells. Within three months of working with Jeff, the KBs, and our PT program, my body started to recover. Then in February 2001, I went to Pavel's RKC instructor certification program in St. Paul, MN. It was fantastic, plus training under the "Evil One" was worth the price of admission. Now, eighteen months later, my back feels great and my legs are like tree trunks. What I would have paid for this fifteen years ago!

I keep my routines simple. I run thirty minutes twice a week and work KBs three days a week, consisting of presses, and snatches, in between KB sets I do one legged squats or Hindu squats for a duration of 20 to 45 minutes this will really keep your heart rate up. I finish with an ab drill. I feed a towel through the handle of a KB and swing it around as if doing a hammer throw. This really works the abs and the rib cage muscles along with the legs and forearms. It is also a very good balance exercise, perfect way to end a KB workout, but be sure you grip the ground with your toes. You can vary your swing and increase the difficulty by varying the height of your swing and the length of your towel. It feels great and it works.

A sample workout: 50 snatches each arm, 1 minute rest, then 3 to 5 one legged squats, or 50 Hindu squats, 1 minute rest. 40 snatches each arm, 1 minute rest, 3 to 5 one legged squats, or 50 Hindu squats. Continue down to 10 snatches with each arm, and keep up the squat sequence. You may break the number of snatches up as 50 snatches 25 reps right, 25 reps left and repeat to 50 reps; do not let KB’s touch the ground. Once snatches are done I’ll do 3 to 5 sets of either the simultaneous or the see-saw press for 10 to 15 reps. I prefer the simultaneous press you can get more leg action. Keep doing one legged squats or Hindu squats between sets. I finish with 3 sets of the ab routine mentioned.
When I’m feeling crazy I have a smoker of a workout seen in the June 2002 edition of Muscle Media, page 93. I do snatches for high repetitions; for those new to KB’s or weak of heart swings can be used. Do 10 to 75 snatches with each arm depending on your ability level, be sure that you use good form, dig your toes in, and at the top of your snatch or swing hold for a second. Breathing is important, get a good rhythm going. Once done with your snatches jog -don’t run! - quarter of a mile, jogging lets your heart and body recover, if you are running fast it means you didn’t do enough repetitions with your KB.

Continue this routine for 2 miles or farther or till you leave a lung on the ground. This is a fat buster and a cardio gut check but the great thing is you can always make it harder or easier by tweaking the number of repetitions. Comrades, as the Evil One says, you’ll be dead meat – but much leaner dead meat. De Oppresso Liber.

A sample workout: This workout consists of the same snatch routine, high rep snatches, but no rest and no squats, just a quarter mile jog. 50 snatches, 40, 30, 20, 10 with each arm, and immediately into a quarter mile jog. If you need more time to get your heart rate down jog a little more. Also you can add or subtract reps, but this routine is guaranteed to please.
Lessons Learned:

1. Do not run prior to the kettlebell workout, the KB will win.
2. When possible train without shoes.
3. High repetition snatches are a beautiful thing.
4. People of all ages can benefit from KB training.
5. KB training will help your run times.
6. KB training in a park will get lots of looks and questions. Convert them."
  #73   ^
Old Thu, May-18-06, 12:32
Registered Member

Lisa,
Thanks for the link, some of the exercises do look like crossfit, but then there were others I did not remember seeing before. Unless I just missed something. Definately a great resource!

kbfunTH-
I think the Evil one is just down right sadistic!! The workouts almost look fun though! So, what does that make me?? Definately something I would need to make sure I had a break in training before attempting, But I would love the challenge...???

My mini break is now over, and I am back to training. Since I have class tonight, I kept it simple-

Chest press
warm up 12x12, 20x12
BB chest presses 70x4, 60x6, 60x5
unilateral DB chest presses 25x9, 25x8
flyes 25x6, 25x5
unilateral flyes 15x6, 17.5x6

slow hanging straight leg raises 6, 5, 5

Tonights class should be a lot of kicking drills and plyometrics!

Sandy

Last edited by sandygrady : Thu, May-18-06 at 12:38.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 16:09

Thought you might enjoy reading this.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/martialkettle.htm
  #75   ^
Old Mon, May-22-06, 22:05

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I really wish I could do the kettlebell exercises. I found a soft kind of kettlebell, but just 8 #, at Target. It's basically a weighted ball with handles on either side, but I could use it to start.

Unfortunately my ceilings are only about 6.5" high and I'm 5'7''. Working out outside is out of the question.

"Hey, mom, why is that fat lady swinging and cursing? What does that word mean?"