Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 03:19

Plan: making it up as i go
Stats: 290/290/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Any luck with the Vitamin D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnikx
but i have read that its only the case in people with pcos when it comes to every day tiredness, where as my problem is im never tired enough TO fall asleep but once i am asleep i can sleep 10hours with out waking

but intresting comment in the vit D thing, what foods can i get that in?

Hey there, this thread is old, but what the heck...I found this forum looking for info on sleep issues to see if there was a link to diabetes and/or PCOS (I have both). I have read about taking melatonin supplements but I'm curious about Vit-D now b/c I have psoriasis too! A new cream I got from my derm. is helping and it has vitamin D in it. So... have any of you tried Vitamin D or melatonin supplements for sleep probs and has it helped at all?

Also, can anyone differentiate between all the fish oil info... is cod liver oil the same as fish oil and/or do they relate to Omega 3's? I've heard of taking/eating all of these, but are they the same or different things?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-25-07, 06:52

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%

i have no idea about the oil but i would assume that fish oil is the same as cod oil

i dont take any suppliments for sleep, but do ocassionaly take sleeping tablets (tamezapam) when my pattern gets really bad and im wakin at 4pm
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-07, 03:53

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

The symptoms you mention are also thyroid related...
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 05:33

i have my thyroid tested about 5 times in my life, last time was with in the past year and each time its been fine
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 06:09

BF:

Great news.

They tested your Free T3 and Free T4 or just your TSH?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 06:24

no idea which it would have been, but im assuming it would have been all available cause the last time my doctor tested me i had to have a full health check before a operation, checking all my protein and calcium etc full works
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-07, 07:52

BF:

You should check.

Generally doctors only check TSH levels. TSH is Throid Stimulating Hormone which is put out by the pituitary gland in the brain.
Sadly it's a shockingly poor test and if you have Hashimoto's (the most common form of hypothyroidism), or perhaps nodules on the thyroid, or perhaps thyroid cancer, or something else, the TSH levels can appear to be within the 'normal' range, which the doctor then reports back to you that you're fine. (ha ha)
Doctors tend not to do FT3 and FT4 tests because they cost more ... but if you're having health issues, it would be good for you to check out whether they've done it or not.

Of course, I am not saying you have a thyroid issue at all but it's just this thread popped right out at me, so I thought I would put it out there.
I've struggled with thyroid issues for may years myself, though finally have good doctors and good meds to treat it.
Apologies if I seem intrusive and I hope I'm not repeating things you already know.

#23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 08:10

nah not at all, all input and new knowledge is good

im seeing my doctor thursday so il have a word, as far as i know i only have polycycstic ovaries that makes me fat

althought i lost half a stone on the weekend being on a product called lipotrim for two days, but i stopped it sunday cause i felt realy sick and weak
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 17:24

BF:

OMG! Half a stone? That stuff sounds dangerous... but in a perversely good way.

Sorry you felt sick on it though.

I've just checked where you are... UK, huh? Well I'll be amazed if your NHS doc checked your frees... TSH is the only one they do unless you're private. Though saying that, you just might have a good doc!
I'm from Bucks, but used to live in London = West Ealing... but Cheshire originally, now in Aus.

Be interested to hear what your doc says.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 15:41

yeh gota mention to her also about my ecema cause usually it flares up after a shower or just from getting undressed the cold air can make the patches appear, but the past week its been there constantly and its been itchy, so want to find out why its now doing that..

il mention the ft3 and 4 but have a feeling she will either not know what it is or will say its already been done

that stuff has a website its called lipotrim but i dont think its for me, iv put that half a stone back on though lol but could be cause i had a dominos pizza and a curry this week
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-07, 17:06

BF:

She will know what they are, if she's any good, but you should ask her what the result was and what the lab range is....
Your blood tests are yours so you should have copies or even just the numbers written down.
As the receptionist.... I hope she's nice and not the usual dragon you have to face in the NHS doctor's waiting room.

Pizza and curry... well, yeah, that can do it for you.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 11:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/316/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

Wow, I don't really have a problem with eczema but I do have a problem with dandruff and terrible trouble staying asleep at night once I can finally get there. Due to that I am tired a lot. I never equated either thing with PCOS. Interesting. I would be curious to read any info you guys come across regarding this.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 06:17

nothing as such but i do think there should be some kinda testing to see if pcos affects sleep hormones as well

i went to my doctor yesterday but i didnt mention the tsh thing, she was over run and had a lady in the room learnin about the computers and it just slipped my mind, forgot to ask about something else as well GRRR

but she did give me a losing weight tablet orstilat that im going to try
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 04:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/250/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Yes I have noticed that I have all sorts of skin sensitivities as I have had PCOS. But I especailly notice dandruff when I eat a lot of sugary stuff which of course is related to yeast growth as well. And speaking of yeast---does anyone with PCOS have increased vaginal yeast infections?
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 10:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 316/316/160 Female 5'7"
BF:

I get yeast infections very easily. I am also diabetic so that doesn't help either. I just wish I could get some sleep!