Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, May-05-06, 21:27
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Hey Wooo!!

Where do you find that Touyfan?

I know they sell it at a local supermarket chain called shoprite, near the bakery section.

Here is the product:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...lance&n=3370831
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 07:00

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Touyfan (murdered that spelling) makes a really awesome LC pita. It's only 7 carbs and the way I count cals says it's 90 cals, which is great, since half a pita is like a serving for anything I would need it for.

I used to love flat bread, I will have to look for that for SURE.

I've found a package of LC pita bread ONCE in one of my local grocery stores, and it never appeared again.

Stores are really clearing out the LC items, which I guess is a good thing, but I have to have some sort of bread, at least in moderation.

I came across LC bagels for the first time at my new Super Walmart, and ohh, they are delicious! Only 12 carbs for a full bagel....I'll eat a half with butter sometimes in the morning, or use a whole bagel when I have a craving for a good cheeseburger.

I've tried an Atkins pizza (terrible) and found a Tony's brand that was decent....but both were 20-25 net carbs and pretty small.

For those of you that haven't tried Quiznos, they pride themselves in serving deli meats that are not processed (I have a slight reaction when I eat Subway Wraps, never w/Quiznos). Our local actually keeps their flatbread stocked just for me, and has offered to sell me their flatbread by the package....unfortunately, tho, at .84 a slice.

Quote:
I think in maintenance, we have to continually tinker with our eating to find just what works best for us - and I suspect that what works for me simply does not work for another person. Even between my husband and me, I have to make modifications - for example, he can tolerate only 1 cup of coffee a day (blood pressure rise) and limited salt - but he can eat a quarter pound of almonds and/or macadamias with no impact - I have to be super careful with the nuts (weight gain) but the coffee and diet Cokes don't do a thing to my bp, and salt makes me swell up but doesn't raise my bp.....

As I said, we're all different.....

It is a little weird how we react so differently. I struggle with getting enough salt.....I listened in weight loss mode how salt can bloat you, so took extra care in buying items with low salt. Result was a struggle in low potassium.

I have to supplement with 600 mg. of potassium a day (I can drop to 400 if I don't exercise and sunbathe in the same day), use salted butter, bacon, etc. With my dad (also on an lc diet), OHTH, even traces of salt will shoot his BP sky high. The no salt sub. tastes terrible to me, and I don't like using a regular salt shaker either.

I have problems with sugar. Anything over 8 g. will bloat me up and give me a headache and "hangover" the next day.

Last edited by MeBLady : Sat, May-06-06 at 07:13.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 14:36
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

I have seen the LC flatbreads in my grocery store's bakery section, but I haven't tried them. Just thought if you were looking for them, you might look there as well as with the packaged breads (our store has these in different places). Making a pizza with one sounds like a great idea.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, May-16-06, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog
I have seen the LC flatbreads in my grocery store's bakery section, but I haven't tried them. Just thought if you were looking for them, you might look there as well as with the packaged breads (our store has these in different places). Making a pizza with one sounds like a great idea.

I found the flatbread at Super Walmart in the deli section (thank you, Nora!). Haven't tried it yet, but pizza is on my menu for this week :-)
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-06, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Hmmm Maybe I need to post somewhere else. I am one of those that reached goal and did this for 130+ days and would still be doing JUST meat and eggs had it not be for the fact that family stresses w/ eating is having me transition some. I feel better on my carnivore days and even on my cycle days I add in carbs it is no more then usually 3-4 net... My DR has oked this and is amazed and had even recommended this to others due to my success in maintaining glucose control and lupus signs. I know this WOE is not for everyone but some of these posts were making ME feel very uncomfortable. I have done other plans (ADA, SB, Atkins). None worked this well...
  #66   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-06, 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSherry
Hmmm Maybe I need to post somewhere else. I am one of those that reached goal and did this for 130+ days and would still be doing JUST meat and eggs had it not be for the fact that family stresses w/ eating is having me transition some. I feel better on my carnivore days and even on my cycle days I add in carbs it is no more then usually 3-4 net... My DR has oked this and is amazed and had even recommended this to others due to my success in maintaining glucose control and lupus signs. I know this WOE is not for everyone but some of these posts were making ME feel very uncomfortable. I have done other plans (ADA, SB, Atkins). None worked this well...

Hi Sherry,

I hope that you will change your mind and continue to post here....IMO, it doesn't matter what plan you went with to lose weight, you've hit goal and maintenance is a whole new ballgame with its own share of struggles.

I would hate for you to feel that you cannot share support with maintenance issues because some of us are uncomfortable, for ourselves, with the WOE that got you to this point.

The most important thing here for all of us is to maintain our weights, our now improved health, adjust to this as a WOL and have some people to talk about our issues with.....isn't that the same goal that you have?

Not all of us have everything in common, not all of us have the same issues. However, there are enough of us here for someone to be able to relate to a specific problem/issue someone else is experiencing....and it helps.

Congrats on making your goal weight, and welcome :-)
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-06, 08:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Miss Sherry..did I miss something??? i dont know abt anyone else but I love your posts.....they encourage me..please dont't stop...people may disagree abt specific plans ideas etc...that just adds to the mix!
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-06, 16:21
Registered Member

If it does not matter why such negativity? I come here for support and to give support and meet others like me. Some of the posts in this thread are none of the above... You may not agree with my way of eating and I am a big girl and can handle that but maybe you should think of how others feel when you all post. Most of us doing this do it as a WOL just like most of you all. You all have slip ups just like we do. Noone is perfect. We are all healthy and feel our WOE is healthy for us long term. This is my preferred WOL. I will eat some veggies due to peer/family pressure and just trying to see how they play into my BG and lupus but honestly I would prefer not too.... I do not believe they are needed for optimum nutrition (and my lab works backs my feelings) but more for variety and taste.

I am not mad nor am I upset. Just saddened that I would come and see this here of all places..
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-06, 16:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
If it does not matter why such negativity? I come here for support and to give support and meet others like me. Some of the posts in this thread are none of the above... You may not agree with my way of eating and I am a big girl and can handle that but maybe you should think of how others feel when you all post. Most of us doing this do it as a WOL just like most of you all. You all have slip ups just like we do. Noone is perfect. We are all healthy and feel our WOE is healthy for us long term. This is my preferred WOL. I will eat some veggies due to peer/family pressure and just trying to see how they play into my BG and lupus but honestly I would prefer not too.... I do not believe they are needed for optimum nutrition (and my lab works backs my feelings) but more for variety and taste.

I am not mad nor am I upset. Just saddened that I would come and see this here of all places..

I'm sorry you feel this way Sherry.

I feel that we each need to find a way to live with our chosen plan and make it work in our lives. I started this thread in response to the debate about only meat eating is the "real human diet" as I saw way too many newbies abandoning their plans in hopes of faster weight loss on M&E based on the debate.

I'm truly happy for anyone that finds what works for their individual bodies. I'm happy for you that you've found a way to eat that helps not only your weight but your health issues.

I don't think that this was negative at all....just a place for others who have had success to share what worked for them without it becoming another debate.

In the end, how many of use actually make it to our goals?...not many compared to the huge number of people who start. We each have modified our plans to suit our individual tastes and lifestyles. I hope that you can accept us too.
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-06, 22:36

Quote:

I understand where you are coming from, especially from seeing all these debates in the War Zone on this subject.

But, IMO, you gotta realize that the posts upthread are coming from the mindset of those who are past weight loss stage sharing their own experiences and what worked/didn't work along the way. As you work your way through transitioning from weight loss mode, your input could be very valuable for the many others out there that are wanting to make M/E a lifestyle...cause you've done it first hand.

There are plenty of places for those still in weight loss mode to obtain support for whatever plan they are doing or issues they are having, this area is for US...and for YOU, as you're a maintainer now!

With that said, you state above you are eating some carbs now, but don't seem too happy about doing it....are you feeling forced to eat stuff at this point that you don't want?

All of us have had our share of issues, that initial transition was certainly the hardest for me. Weight loss mode was actually much more "fun" than maintainance.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 05:58
Registered Member

Actually the idea of this thread is super. What hit me hard was the criticizing of 0 carb diets. Especially when noone making the posts had really done them (and I mean more then a week long journey in). SO not having BTDT why post - things about that when enough of that was/is already donein the war zone...

That was my point and as far as I am concerned that aspect can be closed.

I ameating very limitedveggies. My hesitation comes from how I feel vs. whatis acceptable socially.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-06, 08:36

Quote:

I ameating very limitedveggies. My hesitation comes from how I feel vs. whatis acceptable socially.

I had some added pressure to add "forbidden foods" from those around me once my weight was off....I do think this is just a lack of understanding of dieting in general? Any WOE has to become a WOL to work, or one will simply end up back where they started.

If you stand your ground, those around you may let off and realize that this is a WOL for you, and not just something to lose weight.

All of those I have personally seen in the past that did m/e long term had a desire within themselves to increase carbs at some point, and had trouble when they tried. With that said, I think you are very smart to add things very, very slowly....and be prepared that it may take a while for your body to adjust/stablize.

I do think, tho, that if you are eating according to what is socially acceptable v. what you feel is liveable for you, you may have some additional struggles ahead of you. Do you feel you can eat 0 carb and stablize your weight loss and health, and is that what you would prefer to do? If so, why not say the heck with society and do what is best for you?
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Jun-08-06, 08:14

BF:

OK..the warzone is a different"beast"...you can say the blunt outrageous things....you wouldnt dare say anywhere else...

I was lurking on another board where there seems to be an all out WAR over m/e etc.
What i object to is the militancy....I have enough trouble keeping my own life going without critiquing someone elses...now the warzone is where I can do that with the ground rules being its moderately outrageous..

those of you who know me....know that "blaming" is what sets me off...not necessarily plans.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonahsafta
OK..the warzone is a different"beast"...you can say the blunt outrageous things....you wouldnt dare say anywhere else...

I was lurking on another board where there seems to be an all out WAR over m/e etc.
What i object to is the militancy....I have enough trouble keeping my own life going without critiquing someone elses...now the warzone is where I can do that with the ground rules being its moderately outrageous..

those of you who know me....know that "blaming" is what sets me off...not necessarily plans.

There does seem to be, at minimum, a lot of tension on this subject.

I think IKWYM by the militancy, but I am trying to understand some of the defensiveness. We are all in the position of having our WOE critiqued by people in our real lives, I'm sure the last place someone wants to experience that is in a support forum.

What I find disheartening is the encouragement/acknowledgement of the average newbie that jumps to this type of WOE before giving their first chosen plan a chance to work in desperation to get the weight off, rather than a personal eating preference. This is based on my seeing SO many that did this long term and struggled really, really hard.

I think as we see more people doing this WOL come into maintenance, there will be a better understanding.

At any rate, there is no doubt that this type of plan can work for weight loss mode......but does it work for maintenance, and how?

Sherry, being new to maintenance, do you have any set plan on how to maintain long term? Are you wanting to slowly move up the carb ladder, cycle in and out, eventually drop all carbs together again keeping cals/fat high enough to no longer lose?
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 08:13

BF:

ok SORRY i AM BACK TRACKING...BUT I FOUND THE TOUYFAN AT pUBLIX YESTERDAY...