Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 13:39

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
And as far as M/E being endorsed by doctors, I really don't care. America often operates on a "doctors know best" mentality until the newest study comes out disproving a practice that's already been in place for fifty years. My mother actually happens to be my practitioner and is an emergency room physician. She is well aware of my eating my habits, intense exercise, and WOE. She is an Atkins advocate and supports a very patheolithic lifestyle and has even tried a week of M/E (even though she doesn't need to) just to see how it made her feel.

I hear ya on the "doctors know best" mindset...and I can't say I disagree. However, for me, I do feel more comfortable that someone knowledgeable has researched my WOE so I can feel confident that I am doing something healthy and safe....even if it is contraversial, and LCing as a whole is still considered contraversial.

There was a debate in the War Zone awhile back on this, I remember reading an article about a meat/fat lifestyle -- the specifics sounded healthy (not necessarily enjoyable for me personally), but quite different than the trendy/tweaking of the m/e fasting that I've seen develop since my own LC journey started.

*I don't feel good after a week of lowering my carbs in the 10/15 range. My body tells me that *I need some healthy carbs in order to function properly.

You said you cycle in and out of induction as well, so you aren't totally on the m/e all the time, right?

I am interested in seeing how maintenance goes for you, and hope you will join us soon to share your progress.

Quote:
SIDENOTE: As far as the Prednisone, I definitely didn't gain muscle. Over the course of three weeks I lost eleven liters of water after diuretics. Swelling ankles do not equate muscle gain to me.

The increased weight gain you had....was it just water weight?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 14:40
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoryBlain
I've been cycling M/E and Induction since January of this year and have dropped seventeen pounds. I don't get bored with my food choices, I enjoy the appetite suppression, and I feel healthier than I have since last September when I was diagnosed. My activity levels are WAYYY up (I ran five miles in 46 minutes yesterday and lifted), my skin is soft, and my hair is shiny. I could do this forever and would be most satisfied. I'm not some Atkins rookie, and I've kept the better part of 55 pounds off for over three years.

Continuing my theme of honesty here, I will lay it all on the table. Could I continue M/E for life? Most definitely. However, I do not personally want to at this point. I DO find myself becoming immersed in the "carbphobia" and realize that while I look at food as fuel, I enjoy fruit, nuts, and whole grains, so I plan to add them back in. However, I am going to do it the old-fashioned rung way--5 carbs a week. I never took my time to properly work through all rungs of Atkins, so I want to do it now.

Thank you for your experience and opinions Amory.

But your cycling between M&E and Induction levels of carbs is not the same as stayng on M&E as a plan forever. That was the point of this thread in the first place. Personally, I have no trouble at all, with using a M&E fast as a stop gap to end a stall or plateau. But when so many new members are seduced into thinking they will have fast weight loss doing M&E and not bothering to do it the way it was originally written, +5 grams carbs at a time in OWL.....then this is not even a conversation.

You are a very bright and educated young woman. At 5'10", I'm sure that you are stunning at your current weight. Even at your high weight, I'm sure you wore it well but probably did not feel very well. I'm happy for you that you've found a system that is working for you.

I've used carb cycling to break me out of 2 stalls as I lost my weight. I could not sustain very low carb long term as I did not like the way it had me feeling physically.

To each his own!!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 15:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I've used carb cycling to break me out of 2 stalls as I lost my weight. I could not sustain very low carb long term as I did not like the way it had me feeling physically.

Not to change the subject, BUT, LOL.....carb cycling is another subject we haven't covered as maintainers.

Judy, you said it broke two of your stalls...how did you do it?
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Apr-28-06, 16:41
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBLady
Not to change the subject, BUT, LOL.....carb cycling is another subject we haven't covered as maintainers.

Judy, you said it broke two of your stalls...how did you do it?

I'm going to answer you on this in private Lori!!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-02-06, 10:33
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

So few of us actually reach our goal AND stick around to talk about it that it might be a bit early in the game to have many folks doing full time M&E to talk to about this particular part of it as a maintenace/pre-maintenace WOL.

I guess time will tell. It wouldn't be my choice, but I was fortunate that Atkins worked for me and I didn't have to/want to try anything different.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 07:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming
So few of us actually reach our goal AND stick around to talk about it that it might be a bit early in the game to have many folks doing full time M&E to talk to about this particular part of it as a maintenace/pre-maintenace WOL.

I guess time will tell. It wouldn't be my choice, but I was fortunate that Atkins worked for me and I didn't have to/want to try anything different.

I'm not so sure about that....perhaps they are merely sticking to their own support threads, with pop ins everywhere else when their WOE is discussed.

Maybe I have been around this forum too long at this point -- I remember during my weight loss mode, there was tons of support for sticking to your plan as written, avoiding processed foods and trends, etc., which I found to be a tremendous help.

With this subject on the mind the past few days, I've been browsing the main areas more thoroughly, and M/E fasting, lifestyle -- whatever is literally everywhere.

Is this the new WOL for success? The lower the carb, the better?

I will say that I am very glad that I found this forum when I did, over a year ago.....can't say I would have been able to obtain support, or even be successful in my plan, if I was constantly advised to eat only meat/eggs -- or raw meat.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 13:12
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Judy, great thread.

I see a crucial difference between SB and an atkins like plan, and that is the emphasis on fat. Fat is the only metabolically "neutral" energy source - that is to say, it has nearly no effect on insulin but it energizes as carbs or protein might.

I think a high fat (atkins-like) is better suited for a person with a more advanced derrangement of metabolism, because right away it starts you with a base of food that can't possibly upset you. Eating very high fat and no carbs really lets you understand what normal feels like... and for me, the line between normal and sugar unstable is really thin.

SB I think is better for someone who has a less extensive sugar insensitivity, and the primary issue is eating the correct foods in correct balance. Or, alternately, if you have an issue really making a more radical change work, then SB can help you eat more "normal" (conventional) but still get the most significant benefits of low carb.
Personally, I've reviewed SB menus and I could never eat that way. The lack of fat, and the fruit and grains, would leave me very sugar unstable, hungry, and just not happy. For me, it's really all about fat. Protein does not do it and actully upsets me if I eat enough of it.

With that said, I also find that zero carb is not the best either. My sweet spot where I feel most energetic is more than 30 carbs, but less than 50. More than 60 and I'm in trouble, less than 30 and I'm not doing good either.
Right now, I eat nuts EVERY day, berries almost every day, plenty of veggies and non sweet fruit. I definitely do not eat a carnivorous diet, but, my diet is rather low in carbs and higher in fat; I just feel best that way.

Originally I lost weight by eating more carbs than I could handle, but I was restricting so much that it wasn't that much of a problem (restricting allows me to better tolerate carbs). Now I realize that to truly maintain and be happy I must eat high fat, mod protein (30%), and very low carb - I shoot for an average of 40.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 13:19
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by treefrog
Great post Kristine.

I think what I have been doing is following Atkins OWL for the most part, and going back to an "almost Induction" when cravings start to get the better of me (like now). For me, that will be meat, eggs, LC veggies (salad, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, cabbage, asparagus, etc.), nuts, berries and ricotta cheese. So the berries, ricotta, nuts, and extra cheese are where I vary from strict induction.

I have found it very hard to increase carbs in some planned way, to really determine what my personal carb level is. Maybe that is because my level is pretty low, and every time I start to add some extra carbs my weight jumps up. Maybe it is because the extra carbs cause cravings, and that leads to out-of-control eating on my part. Or perhaps I haven't done things correctly, slowly enough or whatever, to allow my body to adapt and accept it. Whatever the reasons, I am frequently having to go back to this "almost induction" state to curb weight gain.

This causes a dilemma for me as I don't really feel like I am in maintenance. But since I have been holding my weight between 120 and 130 for more than a year, I figure that is a kind of maintenance.

Just recently I tried doing meat and eggs. I did it for three days, and I have to admit that I didn't have cravings or feel the need to snack in the evenings, which I constantly have to battle. But I don't think my weight reacted any differently by doing that, then it does when I go back to my "almost induction". And it was rather boring, I'd rather be able to eat my veggies and cheese, thank you very much.

I remember feeling like I HAD to suddenly eat all different things because I was done.

I'm way over that. I eat nuts, berries, veggies, meat, dairy. Ya know what? Those are the real foods, and I'm fine. I no longer have a desire or a longing for fruit and I don't feel like I"m not really working this because I eat basic. I am very happy with what I eat now, much more than before when I was forcing myself to eat more carbs and always feeling hungry and having to restrict 24/7 from the frequent weight gain.
  #39   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 14:38
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Hi Woo,

Yes I am hoping, and sometimes confident, that I will find that right balance for myself. I figure, since I haven't let my weight get really out of control over the last year, I am actually doing fairly good.

Quote:
Personally, I've reviewed SB menus and I could never eat that way. The lack of fat, and the fruit and grains, would leave me very sugar unstable, hungry, and just not happy.
Ditto
  #40   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 14:58
Still Wicked

Plan: none currently (WFPB now)
Stats: 235/112/120 Female 151 cm (4.11 1/2)
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
I remember during my weight loss mode, there was tons of support for sticking to your plan as written, avoiding processed foods and trends, etc., which I found to be a tremendous help

I have been on the board since Sept. 03, and I remember this incredible upswing in interest in carb cycling in the winter of 04. It was as least as strong a trend as the meat and egg stuff is now. These things happen on boards from time to time.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 14:58
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Personally, I've reviewed SB menus and I could never eat that way. The lack of fat, and the fruit and grains, would leave me very sugar unstable, hungry, and just not happy.

I thought this too, but have you actually tried it?
I thik you cannot possibly KNOW that would happen unless you tried it. Not trying to encourage anyone to do that, but I think this is a generalized statement and not one based on fact so much.
just my 10c's worth.

H
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 15:04
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:

Ok.....no problems here ...to each his own and if its working for you...great!!

I miss certain aspects of fat and I still eat some brie cause I like it....so there SBD!!

I bought boneless and skinless thighs simply because I do enjoy the juicy taste of dark meat and I was tired of breasts.....I spent about an hour cutting away as much fat as possible. Even with all the trimming, I got a taste of a piece of fat and it made me want to puke!! Not to my liking!!

But seasoned and crunchy skin?? Sure..I miss that too!!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 20:15

Quote:
I have been on the board since Sept. 03, and I remember this incredible upswing in interest in carb cycling in the winter of 04. It was as least as strong a trend as the meat and egg stuff is now. These things happen on boards from time to time.

Oh yeah, I've been on other boards long enough to see topics/interests go in cycles as people come and go....this is my first stint in any type of dieting forum tho.

Sounds like with any trend, this too, shall eventually pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
I thik you cannot possibly KNOW that would happen unless you tried it. Not trying to encourage anyone to do that, but I think this is a generalized statement and not one based on fact so much.
just my 10c's worth.

H

SB isn't for me either, but my reasons are completely due to personal eating preferences. I don't like Atkins for myself either, when I first researched in order to choose a plan for myself, the induction phase seemed just a little too harsh for what was liveable for me.

PP stuck out to me as the plan that was closest to my previous WOE based on foods I liked, as well as the easiest one for me to personally follow.

In maintenance, I think all three of these plans are interchangeable. I can have grains and starches in moderation and still stay on my own plan, and the higher I go in carbs (according to PP), the lower my fat should be....after going without them for so long tho, I'd rather keep them out than risk missing them once I get a little taste.

What carb level is everyone at now, or do you still even strictly count?

I'm doing between 50-60 most days (I think, I don't record every little carb anymore), when I just don't feel like eating, I'll still lower them down to 20-30. I'd like to see if I can get them over 60 without a reaction, but for me, that would take adding back in some of the bad stuff....I just don't crave 70 carbs worth of veggies/fruit per day.

Last edited by MeBLady : Thu, May-04-06 at 20:40.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 22:14
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
just my 10c's worth.

H

I have never formally followed SB but for weeks, months, etc I tried very hard to eat lower fat and higher carb. I ate more fruits, such as cantalope, apples, oranges. I ate grains, such as oatmeal. I reduced fat using no and low fat products, although diet was still rather high in fat at around 45%.

It was not worth the heart ache of going to bed worrying whether or not "tonight would be the night" where I became near bingy and unsatisfiable, or, if i could go to sleep feeling reasonably okay. AT first I tolerated it well, for a few reasons. Reason one was I was used to hunger, being in weight loss mode and used to never eating enough. Reason two is that I started eating this way while restricting cals, and restricting cals allows me to tolerate carbs better (since my body is burning its own fat in restriction, this attenuates insulinogenic potential of carbs). When I tried to maintain, it was not well, I could only feel "okay" if I were under eating. If I tried to eat normally I became hungrier and unsatisfiable right away, and I had *frequent* hypoglycemia.

Since returning to a fat based very low carb diet (haven't had oatmeal, apples, oranges, etc in so long and I really don't miss them - low carb cereal and berries are just fine thanks) this "more I eat the hungrier I get" thing still tends to happen (probably because weight is low, but it is not nearly as exacerbating now that my carbs are much lower. I almost never have hypoglycemia now wheraes before it was like after every MEAL i would be wondering if I'm going to be shaking and feel real crappy or not. I eat and don't worry because I KNOW I won't.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 23:30

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Just a note for accuracy. There is, ahem, another board with several people who have lost all their weight doing no veggies, some of them having started in TDC territory. There is a diet plan, called Stillman's, that is no veggies. The notion that no one succeeds on meat only, or that it has no track record of success is not exactly true; in fact, they have a page on Donaldson's all meat plan right here on this website.