Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%
Default The real human diet is a totally carnivorous one: The Recipe Thread

Just starting a thread which can contain carnivore recipes... all in one thread so we don't have to keep searching.

Please contribute.

Thanks!

For related threads... see:

The real human diet is a totally carnivorous one: The Support Thread

and, of course, everybody's favorite:

The real human diet is a totally carnivorous one. (just watch your back in there!)

oh... and I think I already mentioned... it's a conspiracy!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 14:55.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 14:48

Plan: General LC
Stats: 240/235/155 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Dean,
What are the rules for recipes here? Meat, obviously, but what about spices, mayo, other dairy? Any restrictions apart from veggies and nuts?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 14:51
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteaks
Dean,
What are the rules for recipes here? Meat, obviously, but what about spices, mayo, other dairy? Any restrictions apart from veggies and nuts?
Kate,

Spices are absolutely welcome... even some herbs, garlic, etc. Mayo and dairy products... as long as it is all close to zero carb. Dairy fat is a nice way to create dishes that are not boring. Without some cheese and cream and butter, I don't know how I would eat this way.

I sure hope Bear posts some of his recipes in here! Since he obviously has had the most experience in eating (and cooking) this way.

Where is our "fearless leader" anyway?

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 15:45.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 15:03

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Here's my favorite:
Take a 12 -16 ounce steak of your choice. Season it with garlilc powder, cayenne pepper and chili powder. In the meantime, get cast iron skillet nice and hot and add your favorite fat. Sear each side for 60 seconds. Put one or two tablespoons of butter on the steak. Serve with a side of a couple of ounces of cheese and enjoy!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 15:37
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

I have a few in my journal that I will go and hunt down and post. Great idea!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 16:14
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
Just starting a thread which can contain carnivore recipes... all in one thread so we don't have to keep searching.

Please contribute.

Thanks!

For related threads... see:

The real human diet is a totally carnivorous one: The Support Thread

and, of course, everybody's favorite:

The real human diet is a totally carnivorous one. (just watch your back in there!)

oh... and I think I already mentioned... it's a conspiracy!

Did you pop through here and pick up bear's ice cream and the corrected "Bear -naise" ? would be nice of you to add those to your thread

I was thinking about opening the thread:

The real human diet is a totally carnivorous one: The Bowel Movement Thread

What do ya think?

Last edited by Terranova : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 16:19. Reason: typo
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 16:20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova

What do ya think?

ROFLOL!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 17:06

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

We cant forget the cheese eggwich ...and the Roasted Chicken with the cream cheese inside...i will post them later..busy now..
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 17:12

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

Bears chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBear
Hmmm.

Try this: A large chicken, 4-5 lbs (2.2+ kg). Carefully separate the skin from the meat by passing your hand gently through the evisceration opening in the abdomen- try not to tear the skin.. Make a mixture of 4 oz (100gm) of unsalted butter and the same amount of Philly cream cheese. Mix spices, like curry or chilli powder, 2 teaspoons with the softened (not too soft) cheese and butter to make a uniform paste- I like a spice mix used in Argentina, called Chimi Churi- a spice preparation which I buy here in Oz from Peter Watson in Melbourne Vic. But it is not required what spices you use, try different mixtures. Using a spoon, place the mix through the opening, some on each side, and squeeze it out between the skin and meat to form a thickness of 1/8" (3mm). Take the last bit and smear it over the skin, place on a rack over a pan in a 350F (180C) oven, preferably a fan-circulating one, and roast for 60-70 min. It is hard to stop eating this bird. The drippings make a wonderful gravy. I like this style of chook so much that I often roast two birds at once- two people can completely devastate one between them.

........................................................................ ....................................

Last edited by unitydkn : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 17:18.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 17:18

Bears pemmican
Quote:
PEMMICAN- how to make the real stuff.
I HAVE made jerky and pemmican for 47 years. Avoid any commercial 'jerky' or 'pemmican'.
YOU have to make your own, but it is simple, really. The principle is low, controlled heat, no additives like salt or 'marinade' and very fresh meat and fat.
I OFFER the correct way to prepare true pemmican, based on the principles developed by the Native American plains people. It has been done this way for countless generations. I do not recommend making 'holiday pemmican' containing dried fruit- it willnto keep and has far too many carbs.
WE will use beef.
I RECOMMEND bottom round, with very little marbling- marbling makes drying slower, but while it may taste better as a partially dried, short lived and leathery jerky, it is counterproductive for making fully-dried jerky for pemmican.
THE RULE for drying jerky is use only very FRESH, NEVER FROZEN MEAT.
CUT into 1/8' slices/strips, ADD NOTHING.
DRAPE over rack, in oven- with door slightly ajar (adjust).
PLACE an incandescent light bulb of about 100w in the bottom and connect up through an adjustable thermostatic switch, with the sensor placed on the top shelf. Set to hold 104F/40C. Test with a good quality thermometer- jerky is going to be comparatively expensive to make, so you don't want to mess it up.
DRY only at precisely 40C (104F) no more, no less. Dry until dark in colour and very brittle/friable. The commonly seen 'leather-dried' jerky, while it might seem nice to chew on, will not keep very long without refrigeration, and cannot be used to make pemmican. Fully dried jerky is very tasty but is crumbly in texture, not 'chewy'. Store fully dried jerky in an air tight container, and check the smell from time to time for signs of deterioration.
DO not use marrow-fat, it spoils very quickly and will go rancid. If you use 'cod fat', that is,suet from the outside of the carcass it will yield a softer and perhaps nicer flavoured pemmican, but the hard 'kidney suet from around the kidneys will give a firmer and much longer-keeping pemmican, if that is what you are after.
RENDER the suet into tallow by placing 3/4" think slices on a rack in a pan in the oven at NO MORE than 250F. A higher temperature gives the tallow a burnt smell and taste and discolours the fat, lower temps take forever and may not properly dry out the tallow.
PROPER, long keeping pemmican is an even mix of dried lean and fat, 50/50 by WEIGHT (80/20 by calories). No berries or additives of any kind should be used, as they will cause rapid spoilage and are inappropriate if you are on a zero carb or very low carb diet.
WEIGH a portion of the crispy-crunchy totally dried jerky.
POWDER the jerky thoroughly. It will crumble to a powder very easily if it has been properly and thoroughly dried. It is best to process the jerky while still warm from drying to make sure it is very dry.
COOL the rendered liquid tallow to warm but not uncomfortably warm to your skin.
WEIGH AND POUR an equal weight of the warm liquid tallow onto the dry powdered jerky, mix and compress into a firm greasy mass- excluding all air.
PACK the fresh, soft pemmican into a dry container- fill until all air is excluded and seal tightly against moisture. It will keep at a cool room temperature, without refrigeration, for up to 30 years if it has been made with kidney suet/tallow. Perhaps less long if from cod suet. Jerky will not usually keep a year- even in a sealed jar. I doubt anyone will be able to store pemmican long enough for it to be a problem anyway- if you like it, unless you have enough ambition to make a lot of it.
TO EAT: Warm up some water (not hot), cut off a lump of pemmican and mash it in the water until you have a warm gruel. It is very greasy and hard to eat dry, but is very tasty as a gruel. To keep all the nutrients, it must never have been subjected to a temperature above 40C/104F. It will feed you as a single food, with no deficiencies in nutrition for a year or more, it even prevents scurvy.
JERKY requires added fat, to balance the protein. Unless you can add fat from another source, it is not good to eat it straight for very long by itself. Alone, lean jerky soon causes dysentery and debilitation from 'protein poisoning' (i.e.,'rabbit starvation').
Quote:
I sometimes make beef jerky. It can be an excellent snack, but lacks fat and is therefore not a complete food, some supplemental fat is necessary. It can be made into pemmican, a complete food, by adding fat. The instructions are pretty simple, take lean (heavy fat marbling slows drying, and can lead to spoilage) meat, slice to about 1/8" thickness, and dry with heat at 104F (40C) max. This is very important any higher will cause the loss of nutrients, lower will not do the job quickly enough. Never use any salt or other additive, just clean, fresh lean raw meat. I have used a gas oven with a pilot light and the door left ajar, but you must check it empty with an accurate thermometer to be sure it is not too hot. If no pilot, such as in an electric oven, use an incandescent lamp, try different wattages to select the right size. Jerky is dry to crumble in about 8 hours. To make pemmican, powder the jerky and add an equal weight of, not hot (melted) tallow made from rendering beef suet. This is a greasy mass and is not really very palatable as is, but can be added to warm water to make a sort of soup. Jerky should be very dry and not leathery like the commercial junk- which means it is still too wet and will spoil. Pemmican can be kept for up to 30 years so long as it is kept sealed away from air. More information on jerky and pemmican can be found in either Fat of the Land or The US Army Arctic Survival manual 1944, by Stefansson.

Last edited by unitydkn : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 17:35.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 17:20

Bears Ice Cream
Quote:

I make a wonderful zero-carb ice cream with raw egg yolks, heavy cream, lactose-free milk protein and various flavours like vanilla and espresso. I use a very small amount of aspartame as a sweetener, since ice cream seems to need it. I have two sizes of White Mountain churn. Typical: 16 egg yolks, 2 litres heavy cream (35% mf), one cup water with two heaping tablespoons of a 3 to 1 mixture of calcium caseinate/ion exchange whey (or use lactose free 'total milk protein'- if you can find it), 1/4 teaspoon aspartame (Nutrasweet), three cups double short-black espresso, 2 tablespoon of high quality vanilla extract. Use a 6 qt churn with coarse salt and broken lump ice. Don't let the churn go too long, or it will turn to butter. You can skip the milk protein, but the texture will suffer.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 17:27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova

What do ya think?
ROTFLMAO!

Terranova,

That would be a real s****y thing to do!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 17:33.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 17:33

Bears cheese eggwich

Quote:

Ok, here is another of my unique recipes- this one is for you egg lovers out there.

The -wich story. A ham 'sandwich' could be called a ham 'breadwich'. In this way you can construct various names for other meaty dishes by substituting something else for the bread covers.

Eggs and cheese can make two kinds of -wich, the cheese eggwich and the egg cheesewich. The eggwich has eggs on the outside, and is a hot dish- the cheesewich has cold poached or fried egg between thick slices of cheese, good for a bag lunch. We are going to describe how to make the first one, usually eaten as a hot lunch or brekky:

In an 8 in (20cm) skillet with butter (Scanpan Ceramic Titanium is best) on low heat, break three eggs and break their yolks.

Add a very light sprinkle of chilli powder (like Texas Gunpowder, which is dried jalapeņa) and fresh grind on a little black pepper (don't over-do the peppers). Other spices can be experimented with, but the two peppers do just fine. Layer on thin slices of cheese, like cheddar, Jarlsberg etc.- enough to cover the eggs.

Break on top, two more eggs and break their yolks. Carefully see to it that the cheese is covered with egg. Add some more butter. Watch closely and when the bottom eggs are just jelled, carefully flip the mass over, cook for a short additional time and serve.

It will take some practice to get it right, but once you do, it is easy and a true delight. It is one of our favourites around here. Properly done, the melted cheese is nicely sealed between two layers of egg, with a pleasant colour on the outside. Kids love it.

In fact- everyone loves a cheese eggwich.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 17:34
Registered Member

Sweet/Spicy Mustard (great for dipping)
Spicy brown mustard mixed w/ liquid splenda to taste and some melted coconut oil to smooth and thin. This WILL thicken when you put it in the fridge so I take out some a few minutes before I eat.

My Wings
Mix apple cider vinegar half and half with Franks Red Hot. Add 1/4 liquid oil of choice and soy sauce to taste. Soak wings at least 24 hours in this mix tossing frequent.

Drain wings and towel dry. In a gallon bag add 1/4 cup crushed pork rinds with 1 cup Bayou Cajun spice (or your favorite spicy blend). Add wings and toss. Lay on a cooling rack over a baking dish and bake at 350 until crispy done. Eat as is or with your favorite dipper...

Prebaking:

All done:

I have some sesame wings marinating now and will post those results in a few days...
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 17:34
Registered Member

Unity,

Thanks for these Bearecipes!