Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 21:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/190 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Eggs, cheese, chicken, steak and a low carb wrap to make a sandwich for lunch is what I've been eating (Veggies SUCK!!! ). I bug my wife pretty much everyday to make rare steak for dinner! I haven't gotten tired of rare steak and I've never been a big steak eater!

Pretty sure the very low carb approach helped me break into the 180's as I was kind of stuck in the low to mid 190's!

I hope Bear comes back, but I don't blame him if he doesn't.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob21370
I'm not quite ready to take the raw egg path yet

But boy do I love raw meat. Seriously. I love it when it's still even a little cool in the middle. I just have to get used to the occasional liver and deal with my fear of liver
Rob,

I have a lot more fear of raw meat, than raw eggs. But, I know my source of bison, so I really shouldn't. Does anyone know how long one must freeze deer to kill all the parasites? Are there some that cannot be killed in this fashion? It is true that there are many parasites in wild game meat. This is one reason I see for freezing some meat. That and getting it for $0.40/lb!

Frankly, I want to cook meat just enough to kill any parasites and bacteria. This may be crazy, but I am kind of microphobic when it comes to these little creatures! I know there are those who say your body will develop defenses against them, but I am just not ready to take the plunge completely into that WOE yet.

So, is the meat really raw inside your steaks? Or is it just cooked really rare?

Raw egg yolks are nothing to fear. The number of salmonella cases are so low, and if you are not immunocompromised, you will be just fine. I use brown eggs that I get from the grocery store that are mass produced on a farm in Texas (says on the carton where they come from). They are commercial eggs in every sense of the word. I just got bold though and started using them. Before, I had always restricted my eating of raw egg yolks to eggs I got from friends in the country (free-range). But, not now. During the winter or other times when their production is down, I just buy at the grocery store.

I think once you get over the squeamishness of eating anything raw, it is really no big deal.

Does anyone have extensive experience eating raw animal food? Would love to hear more about this... and incorporate more of it into my eating. I know it is very important to do some of this, in order to get all those good nutrients that are in animal food.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Mon, Apr-10-06 at 21:43.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 21:36

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks for starting this thread Rob. I read every page of theBear's original thread, only posted twice to thank theBear for the inspiration, etc. Mostly I was an innocent bystander I have started eating this way over the past few weeks. It hasn't been perfect but it is close to it. I drink more coffee than I should and I'm working to reduce that. I've given into chocolate a few times but I've got much better and haven't even had that lately.

I feel great, I don't ever feel hungry, and I finally losing weight.

Just wanted to mention as well, I am breastfeeding my 6 month old baby (sometimes my 3 yr old still). My milk supply is still wonderful.

I eat mainly rare/raw steak, some cheeses and cream, and eggs as well. Sometimes I use a tiny bit of sour cream with fish sauce for my steaks. I do like variety so I've been eating smoked salmon about once per week. I know some don't eat pork, but I get good quality pork from an Amish farm and that sometimes. Bacon sometimes but I've eliminated salt and find it too salty mostly now. Oh, and liver I do about once per month...raw. I just grate it finely and eat it with a spoon.

Looking forward to checking in here and reporting my progress. I've lost 5 lbs in the last 2 weeks, and 2 of those lbs are in 4 days time since being more strict and not eating chocolate.

Last edited by jaybird : Mon, Apr-10-06 at 21:45.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 21:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/190 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
So, is the meat really raw inside your steaks? Or is it just cooked really rare?

The way I like my steak is just seared on the outside, but pretty much raw on the inside. The inside is warm, but very rare. The steak is so much more flavorful and juicy like that. Cooking it too long dries it out and makes it tough. When prepared the way I like, the steak almost melts in your mouth.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 21:49
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Nice looking place ya got here-- very comfy lookin!

Last time Rob followed Bear's guidance he lost 120lbs. This time it's for life!

Coming soon again, baby!

ALOHA!

Last edited by Terranova : Mon, Apr-10-06 at 21:51. Reason: correction
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 21:49
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulm
The way I like my steak is just seared on the outside, but pretty much raw on the inside. The inside is warm, but very rare. The steak is so much more flavorful and juicy like that. Cooking it too long dries it out and makes it tough. When prepared the way I like, the steak almost melts in your mouth.
Thanks, Paul!

I will definitely have to give this a try. Right now, I just grill most of my meat in my broiler (under my gas stove). I put the broiler pan down from the heat as far as I can, and turn the meat after only about 5 minutes. I will try to cook it in some tallow, in a pan, or at least turn the meat after just a couple minutes perhaps.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 21:52
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob21370
This is my 47th day of being veggie, starch and low-carb-product free I'm already seeing real positive results physically. So much for the "you lose it slower the more times you do it" hoopla.
Way to go, Rob!

You will be able to get down to your proper weight with no problem... and live a long, healthy life, eating this way! Congrats on your progress so far!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 21:58

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have been trying my best to eat meat, eggs, fat and cheese for the past 2 weeks. I havent done it perfectly but i am working on it. I was on atkins induction and had come to a stall during my 4th and 5th week. Since i started eating per Bear's recommendations i have now lost 7 lbs in two weeks! The one thing i struggle with is wanting nuts or occasional peanut butter. I really dont miss the veggies. It is really hard to do this extreme WOE. i got really frustrated once and almost completely quit (well i did quit for a day and a half actually!). I am thankful for the support of all of you doing this carnivorous thing with me! I am trying to give it a chance. I am looking forward to seeing everyones results and comments. I really hope Bear comes in here and posts also! I miss TheBear!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 00:37

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 330/330/165 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

ATTN:

Bears thread will be open again Tomorrow!!

This is a post by the forum founder:

This thread will be re-opened tomorrow, April 11th, at 9 AM EST.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 03:17
Registered Member

Plan: M&E Maintenance <5carbs
Stats: 170/109.5/115 Female 5'1"-5'2" w/ shoes
BF:31.1%/21.3%/19%
Progress: 110%

Been this way now for 80+ days. Glad to see this thread Thanks Rob for the invite.

I do things a bit diff. I don't limit fat like most and add it to my food. I do the beef raw or VERY rare (seared on the grill), seafood (cooked and sashimi), no dairy except for an occasional shake if I am unable to have a meal, no veggies or grains of course. 2 small cups coffee a day and no soda. Just water all day.

Thanks again!

Last edited by MissSherry : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 03:48.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 03:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I'm gonna have a go at this too. gosh, people think atkins is bad "all that meat and fat" this should give em something to moan about LOL

Jo
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 03:59

Plan: Meat&Egg
Stats: 243/209.6/143 Female 5 feet 6
BF:38/?/22
Progress: 33%

Thanks Rob
I have been lurking on the bears thread.
Can't stand fighting.
Diane
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 08:23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntress
Thanks Rob
I have been lurking on the bears thread.
Can't stand fighting.
Diane
Hey, Diane!

Glad to see ya "over here". That other thread is too rife with squabbling to be productive! I think it may be beyond the point of no return... Bear's return, especially. Who needs the constant nit-picking?

Hey, do you know the answer to my question about freezing meat? Will it kill all the parasites (like in deer meat especially)? Are there some parasites that will not be killed by freezing? And, for how long, and how low a temp should one freeze deer to kill all those guys?

Thanks, Diane!

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Tue, Apr-11-06 at 08:35.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 08:33

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Here is what the USDA says about freezing meats and parasites:

Quote:
Does Freezing Destroy Bacteria & Parasites?
Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes -- bacteria, yeasts and molds - - present in food. Once thawed, however, these microbes can again become active, multiplying under the right conditions to levels that can lead to foodborne illness. Since they will then grow at about the same rate as microorganisms on fresh food, you must handle thawed items as you would any perishable food.

Trichina and other parasites can be destroyed by sub-zero freezing temperatures. However, very strict government-supervised conditions must be met. It is not recommended to rely on home freezing to destroy trichina. Thorough cooking will destroy all parasites.

And in the CDC fact sheet on trichinellosis,

Quote:

• Freeze pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 o F to kill any worms.
  • Cook wild game meat thoroughly. Freezing wild game meats, unlike freezing pork products, even for long periods of time, may not effectively kill all worms.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 08:37
Registered Member

Thanks for the info, Mike!

Diane, do you have anything to add?
Closed Thread