Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 370/240/180 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%
Smile Getting to know everyone Roll Call.

Hiya all,

This board seems quiet wonder if we can perk it up a bit, I have been a lurker here for a while but wnated to introduce myself.

Im Ruth from Inverness in Scotland 31 and I have been on atkins since Aug 2004 and gone from 370 to 204 lbs in UK speak thats 26.6 stone to 14.7 stone. I was told me and my dh needed IVF to concieve and I had to get to 14.7 stone to have the IVF we needed. Well we had 12 insemination cycles while I lost the weight but they all failed. I got to 14.7 in December and we had our 1st IVF which worked but unfortunately ended in miscarriage at 8.5 weeks.

So I am back on atkins want to get to my 2nd goal which is 12.7 stone or 175 lbs. We will have another IVF in about 6 months so I want to lose as much as I can before then.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Ruth x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 15:38

Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmit02
This board seems quiet wonder if we can perk it up a bit, I have been a lurker here for a while but wnated to introduce myself.

Go click on 'Quick Links' (on the middle green bar) and then scroll to 'New Posts (no journals) and you'll see it's not quiet at all around here.

Congrats on your great start. Welcome to the boards!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-11-06, 16:31
Registered Member

Stats: 370/240/180 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

LOL I menat quiet on the UK board thought there must be 100s of UK low carbers out there!

Thank you for the welcome!

Ruth x
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/ m+e
Stats: 170/164.2/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:27.4%/26.5.%/22%
Progress: 17%

Hello Ruth.
I'm at the other end of the UK on the south Coast in Sussex.
I've come across a few UK posts on other thread but agree it sure is dead in here.
So sorry about your miscarriage. I'm sure you'll make it next time. Getting that weight down will surely help.
I need to dump another 30 lbs of fat which I piled on when I stopped smoking. I've been restricted to a few garments of fat clothes for what seems like forever and desperately want to be able to wear my other stuff before it's so dated I have to forget it!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/172/140 Female 5.8
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi ruth, Im ruthy! I live in france but lived near muir of ord half an hour from inverness isn't that funny!!!!!you are doing really well. I started last october after ten years at weight watchers!! I'm sorry about the baby. I have miscarried twice and i remeber a very kind lady saying to me you'll have your time, when everyone else in hospital was being ultra efficient. i have three boys now, so I hope your time comes x
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 16:27

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Unhappy

I've been lc since summer of 2001 and hanging around this forum for maybe 3-4 years. In that time, I've yoyoed all over the damn place. Am a chronic carb addict and I fall off the wagon too often. (But I always get back on.)
Good luck with the IVF, anyone as determined as you deserves a good result.
/edit/ and no, unfortunately, my current weight isn't 139, it's gone back up to 143 after a week's wipeout. But refuse to update the stats in the hope that I'll be back down again soon.

Last edited by ezandreth : Fri, Mar-17-06 at 16:29. Reason: honesty...
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-19-06, 15:31

Plan: Atkins M&E
Stats: 142/140/122 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

hi guys, i'm english too. i live in ingatestone, essex.

i'm glad i've found some english people doing atkins, all i've encountered until now is negativity. everyone keeps telling me how ill i'm going to make myself without having any proof to back their statement up with.

down with the naysayers!

good luck with your ivf ruth.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 07:12

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Woo WOo, what a good idea. i'm always popping in here to see if theres anybody about- but nay, always deadly quiet.

I am Gem. I am 21 yrs old, I am at UEA in Norwich (biggest hippy uni ever- everybody is a vegan, veggie or just wants to be cool and not go crazy on meat- so super hard keeping to plan- I do slip every so often).
I am currently trying very hard to stick to meat and eggs (under 5g carbs a day) although the idea of no veggies did not go down well at home and neither does my B/F tolerate it- very frustrating because it does get me results.

Ruth, my step mum and my pa have been throguh IVF 3 times. They are both now too old to consider another cycle but I wish you all the luck in the world with your next bash at it. I live in the holidays in the family home which is in North Essex- seems to be a high concentrate of IVF produced children there as we know many successful families with the treatment. I've got everything crossed for you.

Ezandreth- I hear you on the on -off plan thing, I go through months of dedictedness then give up for a month and then get back on when i can no longer stand the blood sugar issues. Only recently have my size 12's become a little less snug and I am contributign that entirely to my hard core sesh's on MEat and egg- the deep ketosis seems to keep you from thinking about food at all and stops my binges mostly.

Nice to meet you all,

Gem.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 06:58

Stats: 175/133/138 Female 64 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 114%

Hello everyone I'm Jue, I live in Yorkshire and have been low carbing since 9th jan, this forum is great
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-06, 07:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I dont normally come to this bit of the forum, I usually post in the "lc research/media" and "warzone" headings. But Hi everyone, I'm from Worthing, Sussex, I've been following Atkins for 3 years now and lost 6 stone (84lbs) in the first year and have maintained eversince at around 9st and love it!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 10:30
Registered Member

Stats: 220/212/133 Female 5ft 3"
BF:37.8/27/22
Progress: 9%

It's nice to know that there are still some people on Atkins in the UK now that the fad has passed!

I discovered LC in 2001 when doing some internet research after being diagnosed with PCOS (caused by insulin resistance). I'd never heard of Atkins before and neither had anyone I knew. I lost 4 stone in about 2 months, started having regular periods for the first time in my life, stopped having heart palpitations, brain fog and acne and even got a little less hairy (another PCOS side effect). I went LC to tackle the PCOS but it totally transformed my life. I'd been overweight since adolescence and I gained self confidence I had never had before.

Three years ago I moved to Britain - just as the Atkins craze hit. I suddenly had access to all kinds of low carb foods and treats that I hadn't been able to get where I'd been living. I didn't know that they could cause stalls and weight gain and slowly (actually not that slowly!) the weight crept back. Even though I've never fallen off the LC wagon I'm now 3 stone heavier than I should be and most of my beautiful clothes don't fit. Fortunately my periods are still regular. I've noticed that I've started to be a little more reclusive because I'm ashamed of how bad I look.

I can't believe it's taken me this long to take action but I've ditched the polyols and treats and am embarking on the Meat & Egg fast to get me back on track. I have a very low tolerance for carbs and can't go much above induction levels so I think M&E will get me started again.

I'm pretty mad at myself but grateful for this forum - which I have been lurking around for months. This is the first time I've written about my experience and it's not been easy for me to do.

It's great to hear the stories from all you UK-based LCers and I do hope this part of the forum will remain active and a source of encouragement to us all.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 13:14

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Hi Kellycool,
Nice to meet (!) you .
I agree about ditching the polyols - just wish I could follow through on it like you have. I NEED to get exercising too and have made a slow start by beginning to walk a couple of miles per day. When I started 2 yeasr ago, I was doing 3.5 miles EVERY day AND sit-ups without fail and the weight fell off. Unfortunately, once I stopped, some of those pounds found me again! Ah well, onwards and downwards! I still LC 95% of the time and love it, though.
Babs
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 14:30

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 273/240/170 Female 5 2
BF:
Progress: 32%

hi all

I'm in lancs uk started my diet 23 of feb lost 33lbs up to yet

hope to keep coming back for chats
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 14:22

Stats: 228/225/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I just wanted to say hello, I hope no one minds if I am not from the UK. I am in Chicago, IL and thought I would say hello to my fellow lc in the UK. I have been on and off Atkins for 5 years, I think this is the first time I am actually following the program correctly. I started last week on 3/27/06 at 228 lbs and I am down to 214.5 on 4/5/06. The one thing I have added that I never really did before was exercise. Also, there is a great new book that has helped me a great deal. It's the Atkins Essential, which was written after Dr. Atkins died by the Atkins center. It has helped me to follow the correct way of eating. Anyway, thanks for listening and hopefully you will let me write again. Take care.

Michelle
228/214.5/130 3/27/06
Chicago, IL USA
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 08:26

Stats: 156/152/132 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hello to all you UK followers of the low carb woe. I have been following Atkins on and off for about 3 years. In between I joined Weight Watchers last year and lost about 17lbs. I then broke my ankle and it was all downhill from them. Had to give up my aerobics and gym work for quite a while. Over the summer period I managed to stay at around 10.5lbs (I am 5'3"). I felt quite slim at that height but I crept up to around 11 stone again around Christmas. I think winter is an awful time and always put on at least 7-10lbs during the winter. Anyway I got bored with WeighWatchers and paying the £5 each week. So thought I would try and give Atkins a go again. Anyway I am down to 10.11 lbs and looking to get below the 10 stone mark very soon. Had a bit of a lapse yesterday, had a very nice open sandwich at an Italian Deli in Cheltenham, smoked ham/bacon, romaine lettuce smothered in a basil olive oil dressing but it was all served on two very nice slices of toasted wholemeal bread - I needed something to mop up the oil. Anyway it is nice to read all your stories - I have been hunting around for low carb stuff in the supermarkets. Tesco do a nice chocolate replacement drink (bit like a chocolate milk shake, very thick and about 99p). However, I dont think these drinks and choc bars are allowed on induction so its back to cheese or sauages for breakfast, smoked salmon & philli salad for lunch and chicken (with the skin on from tesco) plus salad. I make a nice corned beef quiche the other day (old Slimming World recipe). V.nice. Anyway I am sure you are all bored of me by now so I will be back soon.