Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 06:51
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malulani
Good to know b/c I have been. But I think it's been knocking me down so hard with the die off that I've been too exhausted to notice.....

Don't take it after 5 pm assuming bed time would be? How many hours NOT to take it before bed?
4-5 hours.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-06, 22:35

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

okeedokee...........
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 00:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm afraid that I believe candida overgrowth and chronic candidiasis are very, very complex problems with no obious one cause. In my case, I had mercury poisoning, acidification, and bad bowel pH. All of which contributed. Then there were the antibiotics, poor food choices, etc.

I'm also not convinced that the candida diet is of benefit except for providing relief from symptoms. I fear overconsumption of meat makes an unfavourable habitat for natural bowel flora. I may be wrong in this though.

This thing is REALLY hard to get rid of. Good luck to all
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 05:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 258.5/244.5/180 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Yakumo,

I don't think anyone is OVERconsuming meat. I think theres nothing wrong with the candida diet which is meat, veggies, eggs, and theoretically good for you yogurt. its basically SCD, which i thought you were also following.

this is what i eat, usually.

Breakfast: eggs (2-3 scrambled in butter), coconut oil in water with a dash of cinnamon
Lunch: big salad of romaine lettuce (i should/will add some spinach) with turkey, dressing
Dinner: chicken breast pan fried in olive oil with broccoli, cauliflower on the side.

no where in there am i over consuming meat. sometimes i dont even hit the recommendation that they say i should have in protein power. yes, the calories are quite low, hence the olive oil and coconut oil. its really not that bad.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 06:44

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I don't overdo the meat either, I try to incorporate more higher fat oils instead.

Candida, I really think the only thing to do is to try to manage it, and hopefully after getting my tooth pulled it will be much better...
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 06:49

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Think about the eskimos: all meat and fat diet and enjoyed excellent health. That of course before grains were introduced into their diet.
As long as you're eating considerably more fat than protein, it's all good...
The candida diet is not bad at all. I do miss fruit and cheese though....
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 13:48
Registered Member

Plan: candida
Stats: 175/159/135 Female 65in
BF:
Progress: 40%

I haven't eating meat in recent history........tuna, salmon, chicken, eggs, veggies
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 02:24

BF:

Sorry, that came across wrong. I'm not accusing anyone of overconsumption of meat. I'm just warning anyone not to do it. I did it, and it made my intestines worse.

I must say, I've tried every "natural" remedy to no effect. I'm now going to take some Sporanox. I have sypmtoms many of you share: low progesterone, low DHEA, allergies, rashes, food sensitivities, pains, foggy thinking if I eat carbs, sore throat (always), swollen lymph, high thyroid antibody count, low free testosterone, Candida, Chlymadia and Rickettsia.

I'm on an antibiotic course for the Chlymadia and Rickettsia, but the yeast is out of control. So, starting tomorrow I'm taking the sporanox, and I'm going to throw in some oil of oregano too. It never helped me before (the OOO), but maybe because I wasn't taking enough of it? Then I'm going to take a ridiculous number of probiotics
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 11:00

Yak...I can relate... The antibiotics are obviously making it worse... I try to take yogurt when prescribed antibiotics until you finish the antibiotics and two weeks post.... That is supposed to help.... I try not to take them anymore...I use natural antibiotics like garlic....

Unfortunately, I just think, as I've said before, that the yeast is a result of some other underlying condition that we are not treating...treating only the symptoms...but I too have tried everything! FRUSTRATED, FRUSTRATED, FRUSTRATED...

The coconut oil was helping somewhat, but I have had significant weight gain with that so I am backing off...
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-06, 02:32

BF:

Funny, I've eaten a LOT of coco oil and it a) did not help and b) did not make me fat.

Yeah, I agree. The real question is <i>why</i> does our body not naturally kick the Candida into submission? There is some underlying condition that needs to be treated. Could be hormonal. Could be lots of things. In my case, my one doctor believe it is primarily the rickettsia and chlymadia infections which weaken my immune system and let the candida creep in. I think it may be the other way around though.

Unfortunately, "natural" antibiotics are useless against the infections I have. I'm not convinced of their efficacy in general. They work brilliantly in vitro, but otherwise... I think only useful for mild infections. But I'm not sure.

There are many days when I just think "Give me Amphotericin B IV and the consequences be damned". It's such a drain on your system, all these infections, all the time.

If you can handle yoghurt, try Kefir. It is supposed to be more powerful with microbes that both take up resisdence in the GI tract (unlike yoghurt) and also actually fight and compete with candida. It's also a very healthy drink and much easier to make than yoghurt. I used to drink it, but it makes me feel bad. Not sure why. Perhaps unfermented lactose or perhaps it's a leaky gut thing. Many people seem to feel it's great though. There are places on the web you can get kefir grains just for the price of postage. Run google for "Dom's Kefir"
Great place to start
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-06, 05:45

Thanks a lot for the info about the kefir. I have tried it in the health food isle and it is very bitter. Maybe I will get some this weekend...

I'm really not certain if the weight gain is due to the coconut oil or the overeating I was doing with it lol... I usually don't add oil to my foods and when I think about it that ws the only change except..maybe cheese....but I'm tracking my weight daily now so that I can find the culprits...
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Apr-07-06, 08:25

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Coconut oil does not make you fat, it burns very quickly, your body prefers these medium-chain fatty acids.

Kefir is good, I think it has some kind of yeast in it. But yogurt is good, too, and the bacteria do take residence in the intestines. I talk about real yogurt. If you ferment it for 24 hours it becomes virtually lactose-free, so lactose shouldn't be a problem. I think the SCD yogurt works better than most probiotics. There is a thread in the General section called Probiotics-what a rip off, someone tested several brands and they all failed to grow.

Coconut oil is great but it does not seem to work well for candida problems, at least for me. I think it's because the caprylic acid content is not high per tablespoon. Garlic does a better job. I think natural antifungals are always a better choice as the fungus can become resistant to antifungal drugs after a while.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Apr-08-06, 11:33

BF:

I'm not sure if store-bought kefir is the real deal. Better to try get grains and ferment your own. Cheaper too and I find it a fun hobby.

Kefir is full of tons of bacteria and yeasts in a highly synergistic system. Supposed to be very powerful stuff. I LOVE that sour taste too. Although yoghurt tastes good too. Easier to make than SCD yoghurt also.

Some probiotic pills are good. Some are rubbish though, I agree. My favourite probiotic is definitely sauerkraut! Mmmmmmmmm
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 14:18

Hmmm...now please tell me why sauerkraut is a PROBIOTIC????
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 14:39

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

not sure about the sauerkraut myself, but I DID have some last night!!! heh heh heh