Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-04-06, 19:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Do you have a Trader Joe's around? Its just coconut milk.

I wonder if one could just purchase some acidolphilus stuff separately and use that? I think it is even commonly available in HF stores.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 09:47
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com has both coconut milk and coconut cream. Not to mention the best coconut oil I've found
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 12:24
Jen B

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

http://importfood.com/spct5601.html

This is a source for coconut cream powder. It mentions "yogurt" as one of the things you can make with it. It has dextrin it, but wouldn't that get eaten up by the culture?

My almond milk yogurt ended up being rather thin. It's edible and I'm enjoying it, but not at all like commercial yogurt. I'll probably try again, but will try coconut cream blended with water next. It may separate, but I'm going to give it a try anyway.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 13:52
Experimenter

BF:

I think the dextrin would get eaten, providing it is a sugar they can eat! Any non-milk yogurt is going to be thin, that's why I use gelatin to give it more body. Did you put any gelatin in it?

I've got some cocoyo brewing right now!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 07:53

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%

Thanks for the tips, ladies. Trader Joe's is too far for me to be worth the trip so I'll just have to order it online. I know Wilderness has other stuff I want; coconut flour and coconut spread.
I was also wondering if you can just get acidophilus and use it as a starter, but then I remembered there is no yogurt without the other two guys.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 10:30
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

I spaced out on the gelatin, but will use it next time. Ok, Nancy, what's cocoyo?
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 11:04
Experimenter

BF:

It's short for coconut milk yogurt!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 13:26
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
It's short for coconut milk yogurt!
I'm a little dense sometimes! (Duh!) I'll blame it on the candida die-off I'm going through. It is kicking my butt!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-06, 13:37
Experimenter

BF:

Kind of a catchy name, isn't it? Coco-yo!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 09:44
Experimenter

BF:

Just another note for newbie non-dairy yogurt makers. It takes a long time for the yogurt with gelatin to set up. Give it at least 6-8 hours to chill.

Last time I used I think 3/4ths of a packet and it was thick but still a bit soupy. I'm still trying to find the exactly right amount of gelatin. It is eluding me.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 19:06
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I made almond milk yesterday. I soaked the almonds over night and rinsed them. Then I blanched them and rinsed again. Trying to make them more friendly to my intestines. Then I put 1 cup with 3 cups of water in the blender and let 'er rip. Its been in the fridge overnight. I'll strain tonight and make the yogurt.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 10:17
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Nancy, did you slip the skins off the almonds?

I made almond milk on Sunday and after I blanched them and let them cool a little, I would just squeeze the nut and they popped right out of the skins. One or two of them ended up flying across the room when I squeezed! The skins came off so easy, I was amazed, and it was almost enjoyable to sit there popping them off. The pile of skins was formidable and very tough, so I was glad I took this step.

I then toasted the almonds for 15 mins and after they cooled, threw them in the food processor alone and let them be pulverized for several minutes. The result was almost like almond flour. Then I put in some water and processed some more. I strained it right away and it looked really creamy and very milk-like. There was virtually no pulp left after I put it through a fine strainer. I didn't use cheesecloth to strain it. I don't mind having a little nut residue in my yogurt. I hope this doesn't affect the quality of it or anything.

I started out with a heaping cup of almonds and added enough water to make about 40 ounces of milk. My yogurt maker holds 42 ounces. By the time I added the gelatin, starter, and maple syrup, it was the perfect amount.

It's been 24 hours and I'm putting the yogurt in the frig right now. There's just a tiny bit of separation, about 1/4 inch of water on the top. I'll post how the finished product comes out ...
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 11:08
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, that's what blanching is for. Yeah, I had nuts flying everywhere! Next time though, I think I'll set it up so I can do it while I'm watching TV. I had about 4 cups of nuts to squeeze (LOL! ok, read that the right way please!) and it took a long time standing at the sink.

I put them in the oven then to dry out and roast a bit. But they never got entirely firm after that.

I did same as you, just used a fine mesh strainer and it came out very much looking like milk! I put the almond "paste" into the oven on a pan and I'm trying to dry it out and use for flour.

The taste of the milk was nice. I hate what they do to commercial almond milk with all the sweetener and crap they add!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 12:36
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
I had about 4 cups of nuts to squeeze (LOL! ok, read that the right way please!)
I kind of like the humorous visual that comes to mind from reading it the wrong way! (Of course, I'm rather demented!)
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-20-06, 10:23
Jen B

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Nancy, how did your almond milk yogurt turn out? I made some using my non-dairy starter and maple syrup. It was not all that great. It wasn't very sour (which I love), and that was the main bummer. But there was also some separation. I did use gelatin (a whole packet in my 42-ounce batch), but that didn't seem to be quite enough.

All the trial and error was getting to me, so I decided to chance dairy again, and made 24 hour yogurt out of half-and-half. I don't seem to be having any issues with it. (Keeping fingers crossed.) Maybe it was the lactose I'm intolerant of and not the casein. I have to assume this is the case, as I'm doing fine.

I've been on an anti-candida diet using cultured vegetables and yogurt as probiotics and oil of oregano as my anti-fungal. The die-off phase was extreme, lasted about 2 weeks, and is now past. Maybe the healthier flora balance in my colon now is enough to make me tolerant of a small amount of casein. I just don't know.

But I'm still curious as to whether you got almond milk to work for you.

Last edited by Jen B : Mon, Mar-20-06 at 10:29.