Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 06:36
Zuleikaa Zuleikaa is offline
Posts: 16,659
 
Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/350.4/160 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Maryland, US
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesGG
I just got the D3 this weekend and I started out taking 2000 ius, 1000 in the morning and 1000 at about 4 pm.

How do you know how much to take? I have read that it can be toxic if you take too much.
Vitamin D3 is NOT toxic. Given where you live, especially if you have symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, 2,000 IUs is not enough.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Jun-09-06, 19:25
Zuleikaa Zuleikaa is offline
Posts: 16,659
 
Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/350.4/160 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Maryland, US
Default

Update******
Reply With Quote
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Jun-10-06, 00:03
ProfGumby's Avatar
ProfGumby ProfGumby is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,927
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%
Location: In Da U.P. eh? Menominee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Vitamin D3 is NOT toxic. Given where you live, especially if you have symptoms of vitamin D deficiency, 2,000 IUs is not enough.


I can second that!

She's GG, I am currently taking around 10,000 iu of D-3....if you have not done so, read this entire thread, it is extremely enlightening!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=266549
Reply With Quote
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 10:34
ShesGG ShesGG is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 296
 
Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Location: NW Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
I can second that!

She's GG, I am currently taking around 10,000 iu of D-3....if you have not done so, read this entire thread, it is extremely enlightening!
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=266549


Do you take 10 capsules a day? I would like to find more than a thousand IUs if they have some somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 10:52
Zuleikaa Zuleikaa is offline
Posts: 16,659
 
Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/350.4/160 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Maryland, US
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesGG
Do you take 10 capsules a day? I would like to find more than a thousand IUs if they have some somewhere.
There are drops that contain 2,000 IU per drop. It's called Bio D Mulsion Forte. You can do a search for it. I usually purchase it from DC something.
Reply With Quote
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 18:30
ProfGumby's Avatar
ProfGumby ProfGumby is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 2,927
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%
Location: In Da U.P. eh? Menominee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesGG
Do you take 10 capsules a day? I would like to find more than a thousand IUs if they have some somewhere.


I take 5 at breakfast, 4 at lunchtime and one at dinner. All before food. I also take a Cal/Mag/D suppliment and my multi vitamins have D as well. Then there is the 235 or some such IU that are in the Cod Liver Oil suppliment I take at lunch time.

I suspect there is some D in my Omega 3 capsules too, but can find no info on it's amount....

I will be cutting back on the D very soon as I am nearing the end of the megadose period and have been getting a better amount of sun lately......prolly down to around 4,000 IU from the D supps and leave the rest as is. I will go back up to 8,000 for the winter months.....

Also worth noting, I take approx 1000 mg of C....three 1000 mg at breakfast, 3 at lunch and two at dinner. There is also C in my multi vitamins.....that too will drop at the same time as the D, but not a whole lot...maybe cut in half.

I like that everyone in the house has been sick at least twice, and many that I know have been sick, but not me since I have upped the C and D and A!

I take a fair amount of pills in one days time, close to about 40 individual pills....as well as the L Glutamine Powder I add to my protein shakes or ice cream or yogurt.
Reply With Quote
  #67   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 05:25
Zuleikaa Zuleikaa is offline
Posts: 16,659
 
Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/350.4/160 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Maryland, US
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfGumby
I like that everyone in the house has been sick at least twice, and many that I know have been sick, but not me since I have upped the C and D and A!
Yeah, I like that, too!!! Everyone at work has been hacking and coughing but not me!!!
Reply With Quote
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 10:22
mdwilson43's Avatar
mdwilson43 mdwilson43 is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 111
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/225/160 Female 68"
BF:30%
Progress: 68%
Location: Buffalo, New York
Default Not one cold for an entire year.

It does work, as I posted in another thread. I am almost completely off my diabetes meds. No more dry skin on my legs, my hair is growing in better. I have lots of energy and I sleep great (no more potty calls).

I've got my husband on Vitamin D and Calcium/Mag. He's not overweight, but it's done wonders for his skin. His hands and feet used to crack and bleed. No more.

Margie
Reply With Quote
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 15:37
ShesGG ShesGG is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 296
 
Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Location: NW Ohio
Default

Ok, I'll up the dose to
4000 IU a day of D
2-600 mg calcium and 300 mg magnesium Each Pill

I already eat cinnamon in the morning and drink organic vinegar 3 times a day

My hair is getting thicker, I have been taking 10 mg. Biotin a day. It's not growing in fast enough for me though.

I have bladder cancer but had part of my bladder removed and no tumors have returned in 8 months. I take green tea extract for that.

My regular blood tests for diabetes, blood pressure and thyroid have been good for a year. I feel so much better since I have been taking some supplements but I want to get it right.

Sorry for all of the questions.
Reply With Quote
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 17:01
Zuleikaa Zuleikaa is offline
Posts: 16,659
 
Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/350.4/160 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Maryland, US
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesGG
Ok, I'll up the dose to
4000 IU a day of D
2-600 mg calcium and 300 mg magnesium Each Pill

I already eat cinnamon in the morning and drink organic vinegar 3 times a day

My hair is getting thicker, I have been taking 10 mg. Biotin a day. It's not growing in fast enough for me though.

I have bladder cancer but had part of my bladder removed and no tumors have returned in 8 months. I take green tea extract for that.

My regular blood tests for diabetes, blood pressure and thyroid have been good for a year. I feel so much better since I have been taking some supplements but I want to get it right.

Sorry for all of the questions.
With a history of cancer, I suggest upping it to at least 7,000 IU/day and more during winter.

Also, I think you need another cal/mag.
Reply With Quote
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 07:00
ShesGG ShesGG is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 296
 
Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Location: NW Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
With a history of cancer, I suggest upping it to at least 7,000 IU/day and more during winter.

Also, I think you need another cal/mag.


Thanks,

I found the drops online at DC. I have a lot of the capsules left so I'm starting with 4000 this morning and will take another 3000 at lunch. I will also add an additional cal/mag.
Reply With Quote
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-06, 08:50
Zuleikaa Zuleikaa is offline
Posts: 16,659
 
Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/350.4/160 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Maryland, US
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesGG
Thanks,

I found the drops online at DC. I have a lot of the capsules left so I'm starting with 4000 this morning and will take another 3000 at lunch. I will also add an additional cal/mag.
Don't be afraid to up the vitamin D even more if necessary. You can guage if you're near the correct D dosage by examining any habitually dry skin patches on your body. When they start to heal and turn smooth, you're at a good dose for you.
Reply With Quote
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 11:31
ShesGG ShesGG is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 296
 
Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Location: NW Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
Don't be afraid to up the vitamin D even more if necessary. You can guage if you're near the correct D dosage by examining any habitually dry skin patches on your body. When they start to heal and turn smooth, you're at a good dose for you.


It's only been about a week and I am feeling much better. I have a high stress job and I have been much more calm. Thanks for all of the info.

I wanted to ask if you follow a very low carb diet along with all of supplements. I don't and my blood sugar is still fantastic everyday. I do exercise and eat a lot of veggies and some fruit.

I am curious about everyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 11:36
ShesGG ShesGG is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 296
 
Plan: Atkins Carb Counter
Stats: 000/000/130 Female 5'-7
BF:
Progress: 0%
Location: NW Ohio
Default

Looking back through the thread, it's only been about 4 days really.
Reply With Quote
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-06, 11:43
Zuleikaa Zuleikaa is offline
Posts: 16,659
 
Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/350.4/160 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 7%
Location: Maryland, US
Default

During the summer I follow low carb. From Thanksgiving to spring it's more high carb.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Sat, Jun-17-06 at 11:54.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:46.


Copyright © 2000-2018 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.