Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 15:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 203/160/140 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
Weird... You feel bad if you eat something like Porridge? These kinds of carbs are fine and shouldn't cause problems, but give you good amount of energy for longer periods of time.
Yes, grains make me feel sluggish and bloated then set off horrible cravings for sugar/starch. It's not wierd when you understand basic biochemistry. These kinds of carbs may be fine for you, probably because you are not yet insulin resistant. For many of us who are however, these carbs are not fine.

You don't follow a LC diet but you're on a LC message board? I'm confused.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Am I not welcomed to take part in discussions on a board which is about a type of diet that I don't take part in?

I originally come here because I typed in Calorie Restriction in google and there was a discussion about CR going on, some things that bothered me were people making wrong assumptions about it and the people that do CR.

Now that I have taken a look around I wish to learn about this kind of diet, the people that do it, I like to take part in active discussions and some people around here are cool and intelligent

Quote:
probably because you are not yet insulin resistant
}

I doubt i will...
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 203/160/140 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Am I not welcomed to take part in discussions on a board which is about a type of diet that I don't take part in?
Everyone's welcome as far as I know, was just curious as to your motivation. Though I haven't read all your posts, those I have gave me the impression you object to LC.

Quote:
I doubt i will...
I hope you never do!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 18:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:

Whoa, if you check the forum rules (to which you clicked "I agree" when you joined ) you'll see that as a non-low carber you are welcome to post here - but only here in the Low Carb War Zone.

Personally I find it rather confusing why somebody who does not believe in low carbing spends so much time here.

Rosebud
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 19:03

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Whoa...what the heck IS your point?????
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 20:47

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i didn't realize non low carbers were so limited. i do appreciate though that whoa isn't a spammer, at least not that i've seen,
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 21:17

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I've been enjoying Whoa's posts. It's good to get a different and fresh perspective on things.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 21:17

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Almost any diet out there will work if done properly. People blame these diets, including you! Just seen your profile about weight watchers, that wasn't weight watchers fault, it was yours.

You have just made it personal.

There is no need for that. I have noticed you have been insulting towards every post that I make.

That is disapointing for you, because I am not a bad person.

I am not an idiot either.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 04:23
Registered Member

Dave I was basically agreeing with you, sorry that you misunderstood or that i never explained myself properly.

Quote:
How come everyone I see in my daily life that implements low carb properly gets health benefits and loses weight ?

This is right, but wouldn't you agree that most diets or healthy eating plans will work if done correctly? I was pointing out your critism of weight watchers, I have nothing to gain from defending WW but people that fail on that plan really didn't stick to it properly or resumed their old eating habbits after doing it.

It's the people that that fail, not the diets?

Quote:
I am not an idiot either.

I didn't say that you were
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 07:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I dont think its the people that fail, THE DIETS FAIL THEM BY NOT ADDRESSING THE ADDICTIONS THEY HAVE.

I did appallingly on WW, L/C, L/F etc.. I felt a failure. But when I tried Atkins I realised I was like a junkie where carbs are concerned, an addict and I hadnt realised. THATS WHY I FAILED ON THE OTHER EATING PLANS. Take the sugar and bad carbs out of my diet and my uncontollable cravings for these foods go.

you dont tell an alcholic hde can have one small drink a day, moderation blah blah...

jo
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 08:51

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
It's the people that that fail, not the diets?

You probably don't realize, but 'them's fightin' words' around here. It is a fundamental misunderstanding of insulin resistance that has made so very many of us miserable for years.

For people who are insulin resistant, low calorie high carb diets only work for a short time. Yes, if you cut your calories low enough, most everyone can lose weight. However, for the insulin resistant person, losing weight via high carb low calorie is a sentence to be ravenous all day, and to reduce their life to an endless round of 'what do I get to eat next'. Even before you begin to discuss the elevated insulin, and therefore triglycerides. It is unpleasant, and very, very damaging for the body.

Plus, eventually your body adjusts to that level of calorie restriction, and the insulin resistant person will begin to gain weight.

It may be annecdotal, but it happened to me over and over for years, and there are many people here who all tell the same story. It seems unlikely that we'd all be making up exactly the same story.

Even though I am nowhere near thin and am probably still medically classed as dangerously obese, within 9 mos of going low carb, I got off a handful medication, including oxygen for a breathing disorder, and high blood pressure meds which I've been on since I was 20, and at my lowest adult weight. Since I am not thin at all, something else must be going on to cause that kind of improvement.

I respect your interest in low carbing, and personally I'd like to see you stay, but before you get too excited about advising people according to your beliefs, please do us the courtesy to read some good literature on this subject and become more aquainted with our perspective.

I highly recommend that you read "Life Without Bread", which was researched outside the US and has some of the best science I've seen assembled, and "Protein Power Lifeplan". In my opinion, those two books will give you an excellent grounding in the LC perspective, from which you can then make a more informed decision to agree or disagree.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 09:09
Registered Member

I did order that book, i have it right here and intend to read it after I have read " the okinawa program "
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 09:40

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Whoa..are your stats correct..? How tall are you? and I assumed you were male from the avatar.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 09:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 145/131/128 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:

I find it hard to believe you missed all that data I have shown on the other large thread in this section.

In the end no matter what diet you are on, if you consume too many calories regardless of the composition of the diet you will gain weight or won't lose anything. It may be that low carb works in a way that prevent hunger so it's easier to lose the weight, but if a person on atkin (lowcarb) ends up consuming 4000k/cal a day it is not going to work, is it?

Almost any diet out there will work if done properly. People blame these diets, including you! Just seen your profile about weight watchers, that wasn't weight watchers fault, it was yours. It's real simple, eat healthily and don't eat excess calories. Do whatever macronutrient diet you want, it does not matter!

It's not that simple, sorry. I can eat < 800 calories a day (low-fat, complex carbs only) with my 8-10 hour a week combination of cardio and weight training and fail to lose fat. Eating a wonderfully "healthy" low-fat, low-GI, restricted calorie diet combined with daily exercise for years (dancing seriously since I was 14) has LOWERED my metabolism, if anything. Eating lowcarb at about 1000-1200 cals/day I can maintain and sometimes lose. On my previous "healthy" regimen I must go below 800 calories simply to maintain.

I don't call exercising 8-10 hours a week a lack of willpower. I really doubt I'm just "failing to follow plan" when I do not lose body fat on WW or similar plans.

When I was in high school and decided I wanted to "become" a serious dancer I weighed about the same as now: 133. I lost weight and kept it off (to kick the dancer stereotype, I lost it without eating disorders, thanks) for 2-2.5 years on a moderately LF, low-cal diet. My average weight during this 2 year period was 107-115. I too thought it was ridiculous that "all these fat people couldn't stick to a diet." I was a personal testament to successfully losing fat and keeping it off!

After 2 years, I started gaining weight though NOTHING about my eating, exercise, or lifestyle had changed. Honestly, my problem was that I had TOO MUCH willpower and stayed on plan religiously. Unaware of the problems it would pose, I replaced much of my fat and protein with complex carbs to the detriment of my body.

No, I don't think someone eating 4000 calories a day on Atkins is going to experience success. I also know someone who follows your advice to "eat healthily and don't eat excess calories" may lose in the long run. Maybe YOUR body works with that plan. Bravo. Don't apply your personal physique to everyone else. Plenty of us have willpower in spades but don't have the physiological composition to succeed on your advice.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 09:43
Registered Member

Quote:
Whoa..are your stats correct..? How tall are you? and I assumed you were male from the avatar

I am 5ft 7"