Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 20:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Low Carb Doesn't work for Everyone

"Low Carb Doesn't work for everyone".

This is something I hear a lot out there. But it confuses me why people who are low carbers would think this.

After reading NeanderThin and looking at the theory behind why Low Carb diets are better for our evolved bodies, I find it hard to believe that there is another way to eat that would bring the same benefits.

Sure we can lose weight on Low Fat diets or we can get cancer/get fat on the SAD diet, but what is the optimum diet for nutrition?

How come everyone I see in my daily life that implements low carb properly gets health benefits and loses weight ?

Losing weight/being thin is not the same as good health.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 22:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 291/275/170 Female 5'3"
BF:Way too high!
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC_Dave
Losing weight/being thin is not the same as good health.

I couldn't agree more. I know people that are overweight and drastically healthier than thin folks.

We have been victims of food propaganda. The sugar folks don't want us to know that they are peddling poison.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 03:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

It depends what people mean when they say low carb doesnt work - is it that they dont lose weight? is it that they dont feel the health benifits? and have they been following it correctly?.

Personally I think the two latter questions I've raised are probably cos people havent been following it correctly or need to look at what and how they eat. As for the weight loss or lack of it, that could be down to 101 reasons.

I do get annoyed when people say it doesnt work or its unhealthy though. Why on earth would not eating bread, potatoes, sugar or flour hurt anyone? None of those products are particularly dense in any vitamins or minerals

Just my opinion though
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 07:50
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that there is another way to eat that would bring the same benefits.

I find it hard to believe you missed all that data I have shown on the other large thread in this section.

In the end no matter what diet you are on, if you consume too many calories regardless of the composition of the diet you will gain weight or won't lose anything. It may be that low carb works in a way that prevent hunger so it's easier to lose the weight, but if a person on atkin (lowcarb) ends up consuming 4000k/cal a day it is not going to work, is it?

Almost any diet out there will work if done properly. People blame these diets, including you! Just seen your profile about weight watchers, that wasn't weight watchers fault, it was yours. It's real simple, eat healthily and don't eat excess calories. Do whatever macronutrient diet you want, it does not matter!

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Feb-08-06 at 07:56.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 08:10

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Regardless, if you watch your calories you are doing your body a disservice if you ignore the balance of insulin and glucogon. Yes calories are important, however, low carbers tend to consume a higher amount of calories than other dieters and still get benefits of weightloss. With the reduction of carbohydrates and a slight increase in protein and fats, I improved my bone density. My joints no longer ache and my migraines have vanished. There is more to low carb than weightloss. Weightloss is a result of controlled insulin. Where before my insulin levels were out of control. Was that in your research? Just wondering.

Being a low carber, I do feel that this lifestyle would benenfit everyone. I, naturally, ate low carb as a kid because I didn't like many carby foods such as bread and rice. I ate everything that I wanted and could not gain weight . I was one of the rare few who tried to gain when I was a kid. I began gaining weight after I fell in love with the foods that I once turned my nose up to. This resulted in hypoglycemia and a raging appetite. I don't want to see a return of my itchy skin and I like the fact that my gray hair is a lot less gray.

What I have experienced, on low carb, has made me an advocate and true believer of this lifestyle and justice for all!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 08:37

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I also think all things being equal (for example calories on different diets), lowcarb is healthier due to the control of insulin and not having to fight more with your hunger and cravings. Insulin is the hunger hormone. Doesn't matter if I eat low GI high carb whole food -- I get hungry due to the rise in insulin. Is high carb on whole foods, adequate calories healthy? Of course! I have done both and my body just feels plain better on low carb whole foods.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 10:27
Registered Member

Well whatever works for you best Im just saying diets work if you stick to them properly. It just happens that some are more easier than others. Like I didn't need to go on any diet but I didn't find any problem lowering calories... I don't get hungry all the time because of the quantity of food that I can eat and lots of complex carbs and I ate like 60% from carbs earlier on last year..

I just think that keeping carbs lower like < 100g, rather than 5g a day is fine. But you say it works for you then great !

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Feb-08-06 at 10:32.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 10:45
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoa182
I find it hard to believe you missed all that data I have shown on the other large thread in this section.

Is this the same large thread where you failed to answer basic questions of biology and some of us were too embarrassed for you to continue posting?

Quote:
It may be that low carb works in a way that prevent hunger so it's easier to lose the weight, but if a person on atkin (lowcarb) ends up consuming 4000k/cal a day it is not going to work, is it?

Sorry to burst your bubble, and destroy the cornerstone of your argument, again, but yes, the scenario you just described works just fine. I did it for years, and everyone else that I know without other serious metabolic disorders who has done it has lost weight and would never go back to calorie restriction.

Quote:
but I didn't find any problem lowering calories... I don't get hungry all the time because of the quantity of food that I can eat

Do you not see the contradiction in this? Define "quantity" to help me understand. Volume? Weight?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 203/160/140 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Do whatever macronutrient diet you want, it does not matter!
It does not matter?! So low-carb = low-fat = low-calorie = 40-30-30? Sorry, I vehemently disagree.

Quote:
I just think that keeping carbs lower like < 100g, rather than 5g a day is fine.
Again, I disagree. If I consume more than 40g carbohydrates a day I get really bad cravings due to fluctuating blood sugar levels. Maybe you can eat as many carbs as you want, but I cannot.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 12:39
Registered Member

Quote:
Is this the same large thread where you failed to answer basic questions of biology and some of us were too embarrassed for you to continue posting?

What?

Quote:
Do you not see the contradiction in this? Define "quantity"

I basically meant that I eat a lot of food, upto 26 different foods every day that are all low in calories but nutrient dense and this prevents me from getting hungry. I couldn't physically consume more than 2000k/cal from all the low cal foods. You don't think I eat a leaf of spinach and a leaf of lettuce for dinner or something do you? I might eat anything from 4 - 5 lb's of vegetables a day! I don't know the exact number but i've never felt hungry from doing it this way.

Quote:
Again, I disagree. If I consume more than 40g carbohydrates a day I get really bad cravings due to fluctuating blood sugar levels. Maybe you can eat as many carbs as you want, but I cannot.

Weird... You feel bad if you eat something like Porridge? These kinds of carbs are fine and shouldn't cause problems, but give you good amount of energy for longer periods of time.

my breafast for example is quite big and nice!

58g Porridge (quaker rolled oats), 28g almonds, 80g blueberries, 2 brazil nuts, strawberries, 6g essential mix, 25g whey protein powder, 5g raisins, small banana, 2g dark chocolate bits over porridge, 100ml skim milk.

My breakfast sometimes hits 700k/cal on occasions. Hardly what I call starvation and keeps me going for a long time throughout the day.

Last edited by Whoa182 : Wed, Feb-08-06 at 13:01.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 12:43

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Whoa,

Have you ever done low-carb?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 12:49
Registered Member

No, I get around 200g +/- 40g a day. Do you want me to try it for a few weeks? Without the saturated fat lol. I could possibly take my carbs down to 100g, but after my next blood test.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 13:11

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Two weeks wouldn't give your body the time it needs to switch from glucose burning to fat burning. What's wrong with sat fats? That's the fat type that the body makes from excess carbs.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 13:32
Registered Member

Stats: 342/330/230 Male 6' 1"
BF:who knows
Progress: 11%
Talking ?

would'nt that breakfast you described be fine in the final stage of the atkins diet? and i'm wondering if you have ever been seriously overweight and known the struggle of being addicted to carbs or sugar to the point you feel helpless or powerless, and then start low carbing and feel like you have control again. or have you always been thin and just preach the eat less do more approach.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 14:34

Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

[QUOTE=Whoa182]

but if a person on atkin (lowcarb) ends up consuming 4000k/cal a day it is not going to work, is it?

QUOTE]

I consume on average 4000 cals a day and have done since starting Atkins nearly 3 years ago. During that time I've lost over 80lbs and maintained for a year!

Jo