Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 13:21
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheneas
First, your cells burn glucose, not carbs, so she's wrong right off the bat there. Second, the majority of the cells in the body function just fine on ketones instead of glucose

Glucose is the most basic form of carbohydrate so that part ofyour statement is actually inaccurate here. All carbohydrates break down into the simplest form which is glucose which is what the cells use for fuel, but you are quite right in that cells also function very well on ketones. It is like converting a car from petrol (carbs) to diesel (ketones) it runs more efficiently but if you put petrol back in it you are royally screwed.

The statement was not innacurate. Lisa N was trying to illustrate that there is no real requirement for carbohydrate, since we are capable of synthesizing our own glucose just fine. I'm sure she is well aware that glucose is a form of carbohydrate.
People falsely state the body has a minimum requirement for carbohydrate, because they are incorrectly believing carbohydrate is the only (or "best" defined as "natural healthiest") source of blood glucose.
In fact, depending on carbohydrate for ALL our glucose is not a good idea, since the body is designed to make it's own sugar. Depending on dietary sugar (carbohydrate) leads to hyperinsulinemia and metabolic disease in those susceptable.

It's like if someone said you needed to eat meat to get protein. This statement would be inaccurate. While meat supplies a lot of amino acids and is the best source of protein around, it is not essential to eat meat to avoid protein deficiency. There are other sources of amino acids and one never need to eat a piece of meat to survive. In fact some people have tollerance & allergy issues with some/all meat products which make avoiding it in quantity a good idea for them. Same deal for us and carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 13:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It is so ironic that you mention kids and diet causing ADD. My brother is now 32, but when he was 8, they wanted to put him on medication for what they called "hyper activity." My mother refused and changed his diet; taking out pop, sugar, etc. His behavior changed dramatically.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 13:50

Stats: 150/150/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I went to the dr for a checkup and she is dieting low carb! She feels that any way to get people to eat natural un-processed food is the way to go! I felt worlds better after I heard her support it. It has taken a long time for that to happen. 8 years ago, a different dr. warned me about low carb. He was extremely overweight and told me that I just needed to get some more exercise.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 16:30
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
I thought that in normal metabolism the body maintains homeostasis with ketone levels preemptively by controlling lipolysis (storing excess dietary fat as body fat, or, refusing to convert more body fat into ketones).
If we peed out our ketones, this would break the body's ability to conserve energy and lead to starvation.
It could also lead to pH upset & mineral deficiencies (due to frequent urination and the fact that ketones are acidic and are to be neutralized with minerals to maintain pH... thus ketoacidosis).

The T1 diabetic can't control ketone levels and they accumulate because of their insulin deficiency. Metabolism of energy is an insulin dependent process; when insulin deficiency is that severe everything goes to hell and death is quick.

Well, I meant we pee 'em out as needed. They don't just build up and build up. Everyone who's ever bought those pee-on strips to test for ketones knows very well that we can pee them out!