Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 10:23

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 214/193.0/135 Female 5 foot 1 inches
BF:??/39.3/??
Progress: 27%
Post Numbness/tingling in left pinky finger

I have been having numbness alternating with tingling in my left pinky finger for the past three days. I know it could be from a multitude of things (i.e. pinched nerve, vitamin deficiency, poor circulation, etc), but I am taking supplements, eating right, drinking lots of water (gallon a day). I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

It's getting really annoying because of the constant tingle/numbness. It almost feels cold at times. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tari
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 13:24
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Could be a sign of vitamin b-12 deficiency, which will show up in standard blood tests because of overly large and immature red blood cells. However, vitamin B-12 is notoriously difficult to absorb, and just as a suggestion (provided you're actually b-12 deficient) you might want to try a separate sublingual b-12 supplement that contains at least 1,000 micrograms. You could ask the pharmacist in your local grocery store about this - which b-12 supplements are best in terms of absorption.

Like you said though - it could stem from any number of things, such as a kink in your neck that isn't being worked out or whatever.

Might wanna go see the doc to find out what is causing this.

Hope it goes away soon.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 16:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

do you do a lot of mousing with your left hand? or any other repetitive motions with it? I had several fingers go numb, had to learn to use my mouse in the other hand, took care of the problem....

Last edited by BKM : Thu, Jan-26-06 at 16:59.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 16:52

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

I was going to suggest B-12 or the computer. Looks like I'm not the only one!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 02:32

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

Have you tried stretching the hand or alternatively gently but strongly pulling the joints apart; it could help if something is trapped or out of alignment. That's my 2cents worth.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 03:08
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TariLuinwe
I have been having numbness alternating with tingling in my left pinky finger for the past three days. I know it could be from a multitude of things (i.e. pinched nerve, vitamin deficiency, poor circulation, etc), but I am taking supplements, eating right, drinking lots of water (gallon a day). I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

It's getting really annoying because of the constant tingle/numbness. It almost feels cold at times. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tari

Any tingling or numbness in the finger next to the pinky?

Tingling and numbness in these two fingers can be associated with the Ulnar nerve and Corpal Tunnel Syndrome. Not to be confused with Carpel Tunnel Syndrome which is associated with the thumb and other two finger on the hand.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 03:14
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I too had terrible pins and needles in my hands when I first started out....someone suggested it was a mineral deficiency, and I started taking a heavy dose multi vitamin, it stopped within a few weeks, I think sometimes it can be the increase in water flushing out the things you need.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 07:43

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 214/193.0/135 Female 5 foot 1 inches
BF:??/39.3/??
Progress: 27%

When I took the youngest to the doctor last week, I asked the doc about my hand. He told me that I needed to quit putting weight on my elbow. It was the Ulna nerve that was causing it. Until then, I hadn't noticed how much I was restricting that nerve. Now that I"m concious of it, and not putting pressure on it, it has eased up.

Thank you all so much!

Tari
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 10:20

Plan: keto <50 net carbs
Stats: 183/163/140 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 47%

I too, when first starting out, got some pins and needles throughout my body. It was when I crossed my legs, or doing things that have made my legs tingly in the past, just the feeling came a lot quicker. Don't know why, but I do know it went away after a few weeks.

I liked to think that, with lesser and lesser fat on my body, it brought the nerves closer to the surface, though that's probably wishful thinking lol
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 14:12

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

Quote:
When I took the youngest to the doctor last week, I asked the doc about my hand. He told me that I needed to quit putting weight on my elbow. It was the Ulna nerve that was causing it. Until then, I hadn't noticed how much I was restricting that nerve. Now that I"m concious of it, and not putting pressure on it, it has eased up.

Thank you all so much!

Tari

glad you figured this out - too bad I didn't see this earlier to save you the trouble. I have the same thing - and for me it comes from leaning on that elbow while typing at work- I put a mousepad under that elbow to cushion from the hard desk - and voila` , no more troubles.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 15:21
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

My doctor told me to put a padded knee pad on my elbow when I was sitting in a position where I might lean on my elbows......the tingling improved after that......but never went away.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 05:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/165.5/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:

Tari

This was me back in november.. I was on meds for back pain. (vicodine/muscle relaxer/anti inflamatory meds.. And I woke up one morning and from my middle finger to pinky was numb/tingly/cold.. it drove me nuts lasted for 3 days.. I'm guessing it was a pinched nerve.. Drove me nuts.. It has never happened before.. Once the inflamation went down in my back everything was back to normal..

charmed
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-06, 09:52

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 245/230/215 Male 75 inches
BF:
Progress:

sounds like unlar nerve entrapment - i have had 2 surgery on both arms to correct this. Happens when you spend to much time on the computer
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 19:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/240/210 Male 71
BF:
Progress:
Default numbness in left pinky

Hi,
I was inquiring via google about a symptom I have had in my left little finger, and was introduced to your general health site, where I found some great information.
So, I popped a sublingual B-12, am watching my left elbow closely, as I notice my tendency to put it on the desk when I am doing a lot of mosue work with my right hand. And, I am optimistic.
Based on that and the conversation in general, I looked at the site, and it looks like it will be a great resource
I have been around a couple times with Atkins, and have decided to get serious for the holidays.
So far so good.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 21:38
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

One of the reasons I use the Logitech track ball mouse.