Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 11:33
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

* Exported from MasterCook *

Refried Beans

Recipe By : Martha Rose Shulman, Mexican Light
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Crock Pot Side Dishes
Vegetables

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound dried black beans or pintos -- washed and picked over
14 cups water if discarding the soaking water -- 2 quarts if not
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion -- chopped
4 large garlic cloves -- or more to taste, minced or pressed
2 teaspoons salt or more to taste -- (2 to 3)
2 large fresh epazote sprigs or 2 heaped tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons pure ground mild or medium-hot chile -- not chile powder

Soak the beans in 6 cups water overnight or for at least 6 hours. Drain if desired.

Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a heavy bean pot over medium-low heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until the onion softens, and add 2 garlic cloves. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add the beans and 2 quarts water, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Add the remaining garlic, the salt, and the epazote, cover, and simmer for another hour, until the beans arre soft and their liquid is thick and soupy. Taste and adjust the salt. Remove from the heat.

Drain off about 1 cup of liquid from the beans, reserving it in a separate bowl to use later for moistening the beans should they dry out. Mash half the beans coarsely in a food processor or with a potato masher. Don't puree them, however. You want texture. Stir the mashed beans back into the pot.

Heat the remaining oil in a large heavy nonstick frying pan over medium heat and add the cumin and ground chile. Cook, stirring over medium heat, for about a minute, until the spices begin to sizzle and cook; turn the heat ot medium-high and add the beans (this can be done in batches, in which case cook the spices in batches as well). Fry the beans, until they thicken and begin to get crusty on the bottom and aromatic. Stir up the crust each time it forms and mix into the beans. Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often and mashing the beans with the back of your spoon or a bean masher. The beans should be thick but not dry. Add some of the liquid you saved from the beans if they seem too dry, but save some of the liquid for moistening the beans before you reheat them if you're serving them later. Taste the refried beans and adjust the salt. Set aside in the pan if you're serving within a few hours. They will continue to dry out. Otherwise transfer the beans to a lightly oiled bakind dish and cover with foil.

(Refried beans will keep for 3 days in the refrigerator and for several months in the freezer. Keep the reserved liquid in a jar so that you can moisten the beans before reheating. The frijoles can be reheated in a nonstick pan or in a lightly oiled baking dish. Cover the dish with foil and reheat for 30 minutes in a 325 degree oven. However, if you are storing the beans in the refrigerator in a baking dish, cover first with plastic or wax paper before you cover with aluminum, so that the beans don't react with the aluminum. Remember to remove the plastic before reheating.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 54 Calories; 5g Fat (77.1% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 3mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.

NOTES : Most people are skeptical when I tell them I make my frijoles without lard -- until they taste the beans. My feeling is that as long as the frijoles have a "big taste" they will please; and although it isn't authentic, that taste needn't be the flavor of lard. I season my cooked beans with lots of garlic, onion, and cilantro or epazote and my refried beans with cumin and ground chile. If the pot of beans is incredibly savory to begin with, the refried beans will taste even better, since all of the flavors intensify as the bean broth is reduced. That's what this recipe is: beans that are mashed and cooked in a reduction of their broth. Black beans are best, but the recipe works for pintos as well.
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 11:45
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Caribbean Jerked Chicken

Jerk sauce has gone from being a national specialty of Jamaica to something you can order in many American restaurants. Of course, the first time you hear "jerk sauce," it is hard to take it seriously in a culinary sense, but it has a long and beloved history. The sauce was cooked by Jamaican slaves, who found their freedom after escaping from the sugar plantations on the island. One of their classic dishes was pork seasoned with a rub of local spices and hot chiles, cooked over an open fire until completely dried out, which preserved the meat. These spices can be used to season chicken or beef, as well as pork. When cooked in the slow cooker, the jerked meat is moist and succulent. Serve this with long-grain Brown rice, minced green onion, and papaya slices.

Serves 4

Cooker: Medium or large round or oval
Setting and cook time: LOW for 5-6 hrs

1/2 c sliced green onions
2 T grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 t ground allspice
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1 T olive oil
3 jalapenos, seeded and coarsly chopped
1 t black pepper
1/2 t salt
pinch red pepper flakes
1-2 cloves garlic, to your taste, pressed
2 T firmly packed dark brown sugar(sub splenda and sugar free maple syrup)
1 T cider vinegar
1 T orange juice
2 t Worcestershire sauce
4 bone-in chicken thighs, with skin on, and 4 drumsticks(skin off)

1. In a food processor, combine the green onions, ginger, allspice, cinnamon, oil, jalapenos, black pepper, salt, red pepper flakes, and garlic and process until very finely chopped, almost smooth. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar, orange juice, and Worcestershire to form a paste. Using a brush, apply the jerk sauce so it completely coats the chicken; use up all of the sauce.

2. Put a wire rack in the slow cooker. Place the chicken on the rack. Cover and cook on LOW until the chicken is tender and cooked through, 5-6 hours. Serve immediately.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 11:57
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Here's an idea. I have made it a few times and it freezes well. I used boneless/skinless chicken. The comments below are not mine, don't recall who posted their notes. It's all CORE! I am also doing CORE.

We also love the Smothered Chicken & Barley, I have always made it w/boneless chicken breast. It's so healthy & tasty

SMOTHERED CHICKEN & BARLEY

1 TEAS. GROUND CUMIN
3/4 TEAS. CHILI POWDER
1/2 TEAS. GROUND CINNAMON
1/2 TEAS. DRIED MINT FLAKES
1/8 TEAS. GARLIC POWDER ( I USED FRESH GARLIC)
1/8 TEAS. GROUND RED PEPPER
6 (4OZ) CHICKEN THIGHS, SKINNED (4 BONELESS CHICK. BREAST)
1/2 TEAS.VEGGIE OIL
COOKING SPRAY
1 1/2 C. CHOPPED ONION
1 C. CHOPPED RED BELL PEPPER
1 TA. LOW-SODIUM SOY SAUCE
3 1/2 C. LOW-SODIUM CHICK. BROTH
1 1/4 C. UNCOOKED PEARL BARELY
1 (14 OZ) CAN DICED TOMATOES, DRAINED
6 TAB. CHOPPED GREEN ONIONS

1. COMBINE FIRST 7 INGRED. IN A SM. BOWL, AND RUB CHICKEN W/ 1/2 OF SPICE MIXTURE.

2. HEAT OIL IN A LARGE NONSTICK SKILLET COATED W/ COOKING SPRAY OVER MED-HIGH HEAT. ADD CHICKEN; COOK 1 MINUTE ON EACH SIDE OR UNTIL CHICKEN IS BROWNED. REMOVE CHICKEN FROM SKILLET.

3. RECOAT SKILLET W/ COOKING SPRAY; ADD ONION, BELL PEPPER, & SOY SAUCE. COOK OVER MED-HIGH HEAT 3 MIN. OR UNTIL VEGGIES ARE LIGHTLY BROWNED. ADD BROTH, BARLEY, TOMATO, & REMAINING SPICE MIXTURE, STIRRING WELL. ADD CHICKEN TO SKILLET, NESTLING INTO VEGGIE MIXTURE. BRING TO BOIL; COVER, REDUCE HEAT, & SIMMER 55 MINUTES OR UNTIL CHICKEN IS DONE. LET STAND 15 MIN. SPRINKLE W/GREEN ONIONS.
(I COOKED FOR 40 MIN BECAUSE OF USING BREAST)
YIELD: 6 SERV.
cooking light
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 11:59
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

I don't use cutlets---just flatten the breasts with a mallet, or cut them in half lengthwise. I've also used whatever jam/jelly I happen to have on hand.

Caramelized Onion Chicken

Sautéed green beans make a great side dish for this sweet, spicy chicken.

1 pound chicken breast tenders
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup sliced onion
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam( no added sugar or made with SS)
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon bottled minced ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 2 minutes. Add chicken to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove onion and chicken from pan.
Add jam and remaining ingredients to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk. Return chicken mixture to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces chicken and 1 tablespoon sauce)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 246(10% from fat); FAT 2.6g (sat 0.5g,mono 1.2g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 26.6g; CHOLESTEROL 66mg; CALCIUM 19mg; SODIUM 521mg; FIBER 0.5g; IRON 1.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 28.5g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 2002
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 12:10
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

DEEP DISH PIZZA QUICHE

4 oz fat free softened cream cheese
4 eggs (or 1 cup egg beaters to reduce fat)
1/3 cup fat free half and half
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
1 T chives
1 t tsp Italian or pizza seasoning
2 cups shredded 2 % reduced fat cheese (I use mozzarella/cheddar mix)
1/2 tsp wet garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup lowest carb tomato or pizza sauce( hunt's makes no sugar added tomatoe sauce)
1 cup 2 % reduced fat mozzarella cheese
Toppings to taste (I use canadian bacon and turkey pepperoni, onion, peppers, mushrooms, whatever!)

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat together cream cheese and eggs till smooth (I use a blender).
Add half and half, parmesean cheese and spices.
Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with PAM.
Put 2 cups of shredded cheese in dish and pour egg mixture over.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Remove from oven.
Spread with sauce and then add your toppings.
Cover with mozzarella cheese.
Bake till cheese melts...2 % doesn't melt well
Let cool and slice into 6 pieces

ENJOY!

This freezes well also. I think it's just as easy to make two, then bag and freeze individual portions to throw into my lunchbox. I microwave them for about 3-5 minutes.

This recipe was modified from Deep Dish Pizza Quiche(forum.lowcarber.org)
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 12:41
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Stuffed Bell Peppers in Crockpot

4 large to medium green peppers, tops removed, cored and seeded
1lb ground turkey
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 cup of your favorite No Sugar Added Pasta Sauce

1 Cut a small hole in bottom of each pepper
2. Combine turkey eggs garlic parmesan cheese parsley salt and pepper in a bowl. spoon mixture into peppers do not pack down
3. Stand peppers upright in the slow cooker stoneware. Spoon tomato sauce over each of the peppers.
4. Cover and cook on Low 4-5hrs or until peppers are tender and meat thermometer reads 170 degrees

4 Servings
I might add some brown rice , someone else said 2 % mozzarella cheese.
Chari

3fatchicks
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 23:27
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Pan-Seared Steak with Mushrooms

A classic combination, steak and mushrooms are the heart of a meat-and-potatoes, Chicago steak house dinner. Serve with Potatoes Lyonnaise and Creamed Spinach, and pair the dish with a hearty red wine.

Steak:
4 (4-ounce) beef tenderloin steaks, trimmed (1 inch thick)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon butter(sub evoo)

Mushrooms:
1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1 pound large button mushrooms, quartered
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley

To prepare steaks, sprinkle beef evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Rub 1 minced garlic clove over both sides of steaks. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks; cook 3 minutes on each side until browned or until desired degree of doneness. Remove steaks from pan; keep warm.
To prepare mushrooms, add shallots and mushrooms to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Add 2 garlic cloves; sauté 30 seconds. Add wine, Worcestershire, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook 3 minutes or until liquid is nearly evaporated. Remove pan from heat, and stir in parsley. Serve mushroom mixture with steak.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 steak and about 1/2 cup mushroom mixture)

CALORIES 282(43% from fat); FAT 13.6g (sat 5.5g,mono 5.5g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 26.6g; CHOLESTEROL 87mg; CALCIUM 47mg; SODIUM 381mg; FIBER 0.4g; IRON 2.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 10.4g
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2005
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 23:37
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Beef Stroganoff

2-lb filet of beef or boneless beef sirloin (if using sirloin, sprinkle with instant unseasoned meat tenderizer) Note: I usually cut up a London Broil.
4 tablespoons butter or margarine(smart balance or EVOO)
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
4 tablespoons flour(whole wheat)
2 tablespoons catsup(carb options)
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 can (10-1/2 oz) condensed beef broth, undiluted
1/4 cup dry white wine
Note:I usually use sherry if I don't have a bottle of wine open
1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill, or 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
1-1/2 cup nonfat sour cream

Garnish: 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or parsley

1. Trim fat from beef. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Cut each slice across grain into 1/2-inch-wide strips.

2. Slowly heat large, heavy skillet. In it, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add just enough beef strips to cover the bottom of the skillet. Over high heat, sear quickly on all sides. With tongs, remove beef as it browns. (It should be brown on the outside and rare on the inside). Add butter as needed. Brown rest of the beef and set aside.

3. Add remaining butter to same skillet and saute onion, garlic, and mushrooms until onion is golden - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add flour, catsup and pepper; stir until smooth. Gradually add beef broth; bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

4. Over low heat, add wine, dill and sour cream stirring until well combined. Add beef; simmer just until sauce and beef are hot.

5. Serve stroganoff over hot, Pasta or brown rice. Sprinkle with dill or parsley.

Makes 8-10 servings.
cooking light
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 00:04
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spiced Chicken Thighs

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3/4 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup onion -- vertically sliced
2 teaspoons garam marsala**
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
8 chicken thighs -- (about 2 1/4 lb)
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 cup fat-free chicken broth
3 Tablespoons fresh parsley -- chopped

Heat oil in Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium high heat. Add onion; saute 3 minutes. Remove from pan.

Combine garam marsala, salt, and curry powder; sprinkle evenly over chicken. Add chicken to pan; cook over medium high heat 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Add wine and vinegar; cook 30 seconds, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add onion and broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is done.

Stir in parsley.

Cuisine:
"Indian"
Source:
"Cooking Light"
Serving Ideas : Serve with brown or basmati rice.
**Emerils.com

GARAM MARSALA

Ingredients needed:

2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons cardamom seeds
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick, cut into pieces
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg

In a sauté pan, over medium heat, add everything except for the nutmeg. Toast until dark, about 12 minutes, shaking the pan, often. Remove and cool. Grind the spices in a spice mill or coffee grinder into a powder. Remove and stir in the nutmeg.

Yield: about 1/2 cup
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-06, 14:31
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Broiled Flank Steak with Salsa Verde

This piquant green sauce makes a great accompaniment to broiled or grilled pork, or steamed white fish. A little goes a long way, so use it sparingly. Serve with roasted potato wedges.

Salsa:
1 cup cilantro leaves
1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons capers, rinsed and drained
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 cornichons(Tiny little pickled cucumbers, bite size, fresh and crunchy and imported from France )
1 garlic clove, peeled

Steak:
1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak, trimmed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray

Preheat broiler.
To prepare salsa, place cilantro and next 8 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Place sauce in a bowl; cover and set aside.

To prepare steak, sprinkle each side of steak evenly with salt and pepper. Place on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray; broil 6 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices; serve with salsa.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3 ounces steak and about 1 tablespoon salsa)

CALORIES 279(46% from fat); FAT 14.3g (sat 4.6g,mono 7.4g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 32g; CHOLESTEROL 62mg; CALCIUM 37mg; SODIUM 364mg; FIBER 0.3g; IRON 2.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 3.9g
Cooking Light, JANUARY 2006
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 13:54
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Martha's Vineyard Raspberry Chicken
Posted by Chyrel at recipegoldmine.com 10/9/2001 6:10 pm

Spicy Raspberry Glaze
1/2 pound raspberry jelly or jam(No added sugar)
2 ounces chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 ounces maple-raspberry vinaigrette dressing (see below)

Raspberry Chicken
4 (8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup maple-raspberry vinaigrette (see below)
4 teaspoons pine nuts, toasted
1 cup spicy raspberry glaze (see below)

Maple Raspberry Vinaigrette
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar (see below)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup maple syrup (sugar free)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons dried tarragon leaves (or 4 tablespoons fresh)
1 dash salt to taste

Raspberry Vinegar
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup red vinegar
1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries

Glaze: Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes. Cool mixture and hold for use.

Chicken: Prepare Maple-Raspberry Dressing, pour vinaigrette evenly over chicken breasts and marinate for 2 hours.

Grill chicken breasts. After turning once, brush each breast with 1 ounce of the Spicy Raspberry Glaze and continue to cook. When chicken is done, place on plate and brush each breast with an additional 1 ounce of Spicy Glaze. Top with 1 teaspoon of toasted pine nuts per serving.

Maple Raspberry Vinaigrette: Whisk together ingredients in a bowl.

Raspberry Vinegar: Combine vinegars with 1/2 cup raspberries. Cover and let sit 48 hours. Strain the vinegar and store at room temperature.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-06, 14:30
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Need to put last five or so in the link
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 12:48
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Thai Seared Salmon with Thai Vegetables

Serving Size : 4

Rub:
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon splenda
12 ounces salmon fillet

Dressing:
6 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon splenda

Rice:
1 tablespoon smart balance
1 cup basmati rice
1 cup water
2/3 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
2 Tablespoons canola oil

For Salmon: Mix first 7 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Place salmon fillets, skin side down, on rimmed baking sheet.

Sprinkle 1 1/2 teaspoons spice mixture over each fillet. Cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.

For Dressing: Whisk vinegar and next 5 ingredients in small bowl to blend.

For Rice: Melt margarine in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and saute until rice begins to turn opaque, about 2 minutes.

Stir in 1 cup water and coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low; cook until rice is cooked through and liquid is absorbed, about 18 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add salmon fillets, flesh side down, to skillet. Sear until brown and crisp, about 3 minutes.

Turn fillets over and sear skin side until salmon is just cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Spoon rice onto plates, dividing equally. Top each serving with seared salmon fillet. Drizzle dressing around and serve immediately, passing extra dressing separately.

Thai Vegetables:

1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 large red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into strips
6 ounces shiitake or button mushrooms, stemmed, thinly sliced
3 large green onions, thinly sliced on sharp diagonal
3 cups thinly sliced shanghai baby bok choy

4. Vegetables: Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 20 seconds. Add bell pepper and mushrooms; sauté until pepper is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add green onions and bok choy and sauté until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

5. Spoon rice onto plates, dividing equally. Top each serving with seared salmon fillet, then Thai Vegetables. Drizzle dressing around and serve immediately, passing extra dressing separately. I reversed the order and put vegetables on rice and then topped with salmon.

from Epicurious
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 13:02
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

Easy Salmon Cakes
Winter 2004

If you are trying to boost your intake of omega-3s, try this easy classic. It is a great way to use convenient canned (or leftover) salmon. The tangy dill sauce provides a tart balance.

3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
15 ounces canned salmon, drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked salmon
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 3/4 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Cooking Tip)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Creamy Dill Sauce (recipe follows)
1 lemon, cut into wedges

1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley; remove from the heat.
3. Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork; remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard; mix well. Add onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
4. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.
5. Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Creamy Dill Sauce. Serve salmon cakes with sauce and lemon wedges.

Makes 4 servings.
323 calories per serving; 13 g total fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 133 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrate; 32 g protein; 7 g fiber; 672 mg sodium.

To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice makes about 1Ú3 cup.

Creamy Dill Sauce

1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill or parsley
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.

Makes about 1/2 cup.
28 calories per tablespoon; 2 g total fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrate; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 50 mg sodium.
  #90   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 14:09
Lovin' The GI Diet!

BF:

From Eating Well magazine:

Roasted Halibut with Banana-Orange Relish

Serves 4

Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
To Make Ahead: Cover the relish and refrigerate for up to 2 hours

Soft, sweet banana really stands up to the powerful tang of orange and lime in this accompaniment to roasted fish. Try the relish with other seafood or even tucked into a tortilla with pulled chicken.

For the fish:
1 pound halibut, Pacific cod, or other white fish
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. kosher salt

For the relish:
2 ripe bananas, diced (yellow light) be ok for a treat
1/2 tsp. freshly grated orange zest
2 oranges, peeled, segmented, and chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbs. lime juice
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. kosher salt

1. To prepare the fish: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

2. Cut fish into 4 portions. Mix coriander and salt in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly on both sides of the fish. Place on the prepared baking sheet.

3. Bake the fish until it is juicy and almost flakes when pressed with a knife, 8 to 12 minutes, depending on the thickness.

4. To prepare the relish: Meanwhile, stir together bananas, orange zest, chopped oranges, cilantro, lime juice, coriander, and salt in a medium bowl. To serve, spoon the relish over the roasted fish.

Per Serving: 210 calories; 3 g fat (0g sat, 1 g mono); 36 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrate; 25 g protein; 3 g fiber; 298 mg sodium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (70% daily value), Selenium (60% DV), Potassium (24% DV).

* A-Rod's note: I added some very finely diced red onion and jalapeno to the relish for a little kick! I also used mango instead of the orange since they were cheap at our grocery store - SO GOOD. We used swordfish for this and it turned out really well.