Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 11:19
DRAGON SLAYER

Plan: yep- its a plan
Stats: 245/000/160 Female 62
BF:sz24/ sz16/ sz8
Progress: 288%

Hi everybody.......

Did my run last night (still at week 3) and let me tell ya... with this sinus cold... was very difficult.... but I did it and felt absolutely awsome afterward..... THEN.. I went to gym and did 45 mins of the circuit.....

I plan to run tonight, workout at gym tomorrow.. and run again on Sunday.

Tio.. hey hon.. don't worry about it... been there/done that.... you WILL get back out there.. I know you will...I think you've done great.

Neela... I am exactly where you are.... I am 3.5 fast walking and 4.5-4.8 jogging... I am slow.. but GEEZ... all that matters.. is we are doing it!!! You're doing great!

Welcome azzy... nice to have you with us!

Demi, Scotty and Christina.. you all rock.. Proud to know ya!!!!

Everyone enjoy the weekend...... and for you football fans..... enjoy the superbowl..... for me.. its.. GO Seahawks!!

XXOO
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 12:43

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 190/147/145 Female 61 inches
BF:39/??/20
Progress: 96%
Talking Starting Week 1 on Sunday

Well, I made it to the gym last night but it was very crowded. I got on the treadmill and after the 5min brisk walk, I did one cycle. At that moment, I felt silly jogging for 60sec then walking for 90. The guy next to me was running at 8.0 for about 15mins. He was looking at me like "you gotta be kiddin". I was so embarrassed...so instead of cycling, I just jogged at 5.0 for 20mins. So I plan on starting week 1 on Sunday at 8am. I'll have a little more privacy then. Call me chicken if you'd like but at Bally's in Rochester, NY there's just way too much competition. Lol.

-Avril
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 13:10
DRAGON SLAYER

Cool

Azzy... so why are you even doing the couch to 5K if you can already jog at 5.0 for 20mins... not sure what the point is...

How I feel.... I really don't give a sh** what people think of me while I am walking/jogging I am doing this for ME and nobody else.... so it really doesn't matter to me what kind of looks I get from others!! Sorry to be so blunt and to the point!!

Later!
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 12:48
DRAGON SLAYER

Just an update:

Friday.. did day 2/week 3.. was incredibly tough.. ended up walking most of the time.

Today, Sunday.. did day 3/week 3... again another tough one for me... (my legs felt like lead).. but pushed thru and completed it. Probably will do week 3 at least one more week.. especially since I've got this sinus/cough crap that I think holds me back a little..... BUT doesn't stop me.

Hope you all are having a great weekend.

Love to all!!
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 13:56

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I did another Week 1 wog on Friday - not too bad, but today, my hips (hip abductors) are really sore.

Was planning to walk today, but have been so busy with one thing or another, so it didn't get done. Am going to do some stretches later though and then have an early night.

My plan for this week is to wog on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, and I will be staying at week 1 as well. If this week goes well, then I may try week 2 next week.

Quote:
Originally posted by cathy44
How I feel.... I really don't give a sh** what people think of me while I am walking/jogging I am doing this for ME and nobody else....

Yes me too! One of the best things about getting older is that you really don't care what others think

Avril, if I was you, I'd just ignore everyone else and do what you want to do!

Cathy, hope the sinus/cough crap is easing up for you ... not fun, but kudos to you for not letting it stop you.

Hope that everyone has a great week wogging this week
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 07:41

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

Did the treadmill a bit ago. Yikers! Tough tough tough... I didn't quite fulfill the needs of day 1 week 4 (again), yet the total mileage was more than I've ever done before in 30 minutes. It was so hard, though. I know i gotta build it up, but holy crap, it's hard. S'ok though... I'll keep on PUSHing

Wow, CAthy, KUDOS to you big time for at least attempting to wog during a sinus cold -- regardless of what week you're on!! Just be sure not to knock yourself back down, though. Drink plenty of fluids and get some rest,too.

Happy Monday all!
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 13:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy44
Azzy... so why are you even doing the couch to 5K if you can already jog at 5.0 for 20mins... not sure what the point is...
Let this be a safe place. I belong here as much as you do. I hope to run a 5k someday and maybe even a 10k. We all are here because we’re in training. Although on the same plan, we all are at different stages. I am definitely not ready for a 5k run.

I think this plan can compliment anyone’s lifestyle. Even if you’re a regular jogger, you can challenge yourself on speed and endurance. Yesterday I started Week 1 and had one of my most physically challenging workouts. I walked at 4.0 and jogged at 5.7. I am trying to increase my speed as the weeks go by.

BTW, my message about being embarrassed at the gym was meant to be funny. I thought it interesting how much competition exists at the gym…but this has never stopped me from exercising. However, there are days when I head to the gym after work and I realize I’m not wearing a supportive bra…so do weight training instead of cardio. I guess I’ve always been a bit gym shy but hey everyone has their hang-ups.

Stay focused.

-Avril
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 13:57

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

Your story about the gym WAS funny, Avril... I think Cathy was just as surprised at me to see that you ended up jogging for 20 minutes while the rest of us woulda collapsed, knees buckled, hands/face slamming onto the running board until it carries off the treadmill! Hehe, just kidding (not really). Really though, Cathy is very motivational and cares a lot abuot everyone's progress; I really don't think she meant for you not to be here in this challenge with the rest of us...

Oh and I COMPLETELY hear you an the supportive bra thing -- thank GAWD I have a treadmill at home cuz I don't think I could run with others cuz the girls might end up hurting someone other than just me! Just kidding.

Keep pushing guys. Will get there -- one day!
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 14:06

Lightbulb

Thanks for that insight superaunt. I apologize for coming off harsh cathy. I guess it has been one of those mornings when everything rubbed me the wrong way. I agree, we all get there one day. I used to say to each his one but I truly believe we're in this together.

-Avril
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 06:06

BF:

Forgot to post here yesterday that I started Week 1 again yesterday (details in my gym log) - was disappointed that I found it quite a slog - was tired yesterday, so that may have been the problem.

Quote:
Originally posted by superaunt
I didn't quite fulfill the needs of day 1 week 4 (again), yet the total mileage was more than I've ever done before in 30 minutes

Never mind that you didn't quite make it - the fact that you achieved a higher total mileage than you have done before, more than makes up for it

Avril ~ agree with what Christina (superaunt) has said about cathy. Very often the written word can seem very harsh, when, in fact, that's not what was meant at all.

BTW, have noticed in your signature that you are a non-smoker as of 16 January Hope that's still the case - are you using anything - i.e., nicotine patches - or just going cold turkey??? If you need any help and inspiration, check out quitnet.com ~ I found it really helpful when I gave up over 3 years ago.

Happy Wogging Everyone
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 08:26

BF:

Here's the second in the Run for your life articles that are currently being published in one of the UK's more serious newspapers:

Quote:
The Daily Telegraph
London, UK

Run for your life: stretching
(Filed: 06/02/2006)

Pounding the pavement without stretching can lead to injury, says Michael Garry, in the second of our weekly runner's guide

Before I go into more detail about running, I want to talk about stretching: without the flexibility that stretches bring, you will leave yourself wide open to injury.

As we get older, our muscles get shorter and our range of movement becomes restricted. Aches and pains in the back, hips and knees are seen as part of the ageing process, and can put people off exercise. But all of these problems can be made better through stretching, which also helps with your posture.

Flexibility is perhaps the most neglected area of fitness, but it is one of the most important - and one of the easiest to maintain. Many people think they can skip stretches and go straight into their running, but runners who don't stretch - or who stretch incorrectly - get stiff necks and shoulders, pain in the knees and lower back, and tight hamstrings.

Just five to 10 minutes' of stretching each day will help prevent this from happening, and you will see improvements in your flexibility within four to six weeks.

Over the next few weeks, I will show you how to do different stretches, which can then be incorporated into your running programme. Stretches should be done after a warm-up - but before your main workout - and as part of your cool-down.

Bear the following tips in mind:

Warm up for five minutes with arm rotations, knee raises and shoulder shrugs, and do a bit of marching on the spot; this will help to lubricate the joints, and make the muscles more pliable for stretching.

Do your stretches in sequence, starting with your upper body and moving down to your legs and feet.

Hold warm-up stretches for 10-15 seconds and cool-down stretches for 15-30 seconds. Repeat each cool-down stretch three times.

Always maintain a good posture while stretching, keeping your abdominal muscles contracted. Stretch slowly, and take deep breaths in and out as you do them.

Don't force a stretch, and don't continue if you feel anything more than mild discomfort. Never stretch an injured muscle.

Stretching your triceps:

Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart, and knees slightly bent.
Raise one arm over your head, bending your elbow so that your hand is on the back of your neck.

With your other arm, hold the elbow for slight support.
Hold for 10-15 seconds, or 15-30, depending on whether it is a warm-up or a cool-down stretch.

Repeat with your other arm.

Stretching your upper back:

Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart, and knees slightly bent.
Stretch both arms in front of you, and interlock your hands with your palms facing outwards. Again, the duration of the stretch depends on whether you are warming up or cooling down.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/m...7/ixhright.html
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 09:01

BF:

Have just read this article and thought that everyone here might enjoy reading it too

I especially appreciated this bit:

Quote:
He tells me a good way to get into it: run for 30 seconds, say, then walk for three minutes. Repeat for as long as you can be bothered, but probably for not longer than 20 minutes to begin with. Do that every other day for a week or so, then up it to a minute of running, two minutes walking, and so on. It sounds boring, but it takes time for your joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones to get used to the mechanics and impact. Too much too fast might result in injury.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 11:13
DRAGON SLAYER

Hey everybody... Demi.. thanks for that great information.. very helpful!!

Christina.. woohoo girl.. look at you go.. you're doing awsomely with week 4.. I am SO proud of you!!!!

Demi.. we have our good and bad days.. and you're doing very well... very proud of you for getting out there... that's 1/2 the battle!!!!

Avril.... So sorry if my comments the other day came out rude.... I must have been PMSing that day! I re-read it and yes.. I did sound bitchy didn't I.. please forgive me.... you DO belong here.. and we want you here with us..you're adorable!!! Maybe I was just jealous that you could run 20 mins straight.. I am not even NEAR there yet.. so good job!!!

Tio... we miss you and hope to see you soon.

Same with you Scotty!!!

Take care ya'll.. I will be doing my 'wog' tonight and let ya'll know how it goes!!!!
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 11:14
DRAGON SLAYER

P.S. Avril... also noticed you quit smoking.. GOOD JOB.. I am embarrased to say that I am a smoker.. (about 5-10 cigs a day).. I've GOT to quit... so please share how you quit when you have a chance!!
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 18:57

Wink Cigarettes and Me

Cathy- No hard feelings. I understand.

Demi- I will definitely check out quitnet.com. Congrats on success quitting.

Thanks for the kudos guys. I needed that. I've never had the chance to share my story. So here it is...

My Quitting Story (Long but hopefully useful.)
I’ve been smoking since I was twelve. For the last 5 years, I’ve smoked at least a pack a day. I’ve tried to quit many times but never successfully. I always wanted to quit but had tons of excuses. Then I tried the patch around Thanksgiving last year. It helped but I kept getting caught having a few glasses of wine and beer (low-carb, off course) and going back to smoking. I then decided that I would quit on New Year's Day but that didn't work. So I set a new quit date and I took a vacation from work for two days. I had my last cigarette on Sunday, January 15th at 12am and then I just quarantined myself to the house for 48 hours. I stocked up on good low-carb food and movies. I only left the house to go for walks since I knew I wasn't in walking distance of a store or gas station where I could buy cigarettes.

I was successful in quitting this time. I first started slowly cutting back my number of cigarettes. I started out at a pack and half (yes, 30 cigarettes) in August 2005. Towards the end, I decided that I would only smoke when I REALLY needed one. So I was having about 6 to 8 cigarettes/day.

At first I couldn’t imagine my life without cigarettes. I smoked every time I took a walk, while driving and on coffee breaks at work. I started doing small things like driving without smoking and taking walks at lunch, leaving my cigarettes in the office. It was very important for me to imagine myself without cigarettes. It seemed like everything I did was linked to smoking. I think nicotine is only a small part of the addiction. Supposedly once you quit nicotine leaves your system within days. Most of the addiction is by habit because of all the linkages you make to cigarettes.

My advice to anyone who wants to quit is DECIDE to quit and tell your love ones that you need the support (even the smokers, too). Then do your research- don’t try to change right away; simply take note of when you smoke over the course of a week and that should give you a understanding of why. Are you smoking in morning with coffee? Do you smoke more on stressful days or weekends? Do you smoke when you drink? Then try to do some of those things without smoking (with the exception of drinking- you should try to avoid alcohol altogether, especially if it’s one of your triggers). This helped me realize that smoking was my way of coping with stress and also my way of even celebrating.

I hope this makes sense to someone. Most of this advice comes from my friends/family who have struggled with quitting. So buddy up with someone who has quit.

I hope this helped. I'm off to the gym for week 1 day 2 of wogging. G'nite.

-Avril

We'll all be there someday.