Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 16:36

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Um...Jane....

Since I guess I qualify as a veteran, and have a tendency to preach, I just wondered what it is about veterans that you find particularly annoying? Sometimes I'm more abrupt than kind, I know--but usually in the spirit of sharing what has worked for me, in the hope of giving someone a new clue (as others did for me countless times in the beginning).

I don't mean to imply that all veteran posters annoy me, any more than all newbies do; I wouldn't be here if anything close to that reaction was true. I meant that most of the time I find myself doing a it's at a veteran's post and I'm thinking "S/he should really know better".

FWIW, I've never seen you be anything but kind and encouraging, especially to new members, and the board is fortunate to have you. But some of us, not so much.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 16:47

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
There are many more nutritious foods to choose from, but if you had to choose a candy, the peanut M&M's wouldn't be the worst.

This is too funny. DH and I were having a similar debate on the way home from an outing last night. Somehow we got on the topic of why I never buy white bread anymore. My response was along the lines of "why would I feed something to our kids that even rats won't eat?" His response was, "Oh and I suppose that Snickers bar you let them split earlier was better for them?".
When I responded that I was reasonably sure that it was at the very least more nutritious and lower on the glycemic index, my DH questioned my sanity.
So....just to prove my point, I hit Fitday when we got home and compared 1 slice of white bread with half a Snickers bar. Guess which one came out on top nutritionally? Half of a Snickers bar was higher in 11 vitamins and minerals than that slice of white bread. Sad but true.
Not that I'm at all advocating a regular diet of Snickers bars, but as a once-in-a-blue-moon treat for my kids, I could have made worse choices.
  #78   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 16:49

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

Okay, I know I have my noobie moments like, "What the hell do I do with flax?" but just recently I read a post by a member with over 500 posts in this forum asking questions you would expect from someone who has never read the book and only been trying this WOL for two days. These are people that claim to have read every book out there yet know nothing. That really irks me.

I've also found that aol speak really annoys me. Things like "UR" and "B4" are irritating. I can handle "LOL" and "OMG" but atleast make a decent attempt at sounding coherent. No punctuation, poor grammar and spelling (I know I'm not that great but I try), and shortening words that don't even need it are other big peeves of mine.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 16:50
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

That reminds me of the Bill Cosby routine about how his kids talked him into letting them have chocolate cake for breakfast...

"There's eggs in there...and MILK.... and..."

#80   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 17:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

When I first started eating low carb I was probably one of those newbies that really irritated people. I had switched from Michael Thurmonds six week body makeover, and during induction did not lose a single pound in spite of sticking strictly to the guidelines. I think my body was in shock going from
no salt, no fat, complex carbs like rice, potato, oatmeal, etc A-OK to liberal fat, and no complex carbs etc.

I asked lots of questions then, and hung in there , listening to the sage advice. Here I am having lost 109 pounds, and being rewarded for not giving up when all seemed hopeless. I even endured a six month stall last summer, and the scales are once again moving.

I think the posts that annoyed me the most were from the people who weighed 130 pounds and were trying to get down to 120 because they were sooooo fat. I just could not relate. Starting at 280 pounds, the last time I weighed 130 was in the fourth grade. I guess it goes to show you how some people are very sensitive to issues of body image. I just could not relate. If they thought they were fat at 130, what must they think of me at my heaviest?

Anyway, I have become much more tolerant of low carbers with much less weight to lose. As my self image has improved with my weight loss, I am much less sensitive, and much less critical. I realize the weight they would like to lose is just as important to them, as the weight I had to lose. I also realize we are all in this together.

Now I am one of those experienced low carbers that is desperate to know what do I do about all this loose skin. Anyone know? LOL

Thank you all for giving me a good laugh.
God bless
Karen
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-06, 17:43
Fully Caffeinated

Quote:
I don't know what happened, but somewhere along the line telling a person they're wrong became taboo. Part of taking an adult perspective on life is being able to point out error, and being able to withstand being told that one is in error.

It's easier to withstand being told one is in error if it's not delivered with the force of a sledgehammer, when a flyswatter would do!

I've seen people venture a question or offer an answer, only to get pounded into the ground with how WRONG they are when it would have been sufficient to point the person to the correct answer and leave it at that.
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 02:30
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I've seen people venture a question or offer an answer, only to get pounded into the ground with how WRONG they are when it would have been sufficient to point the person to the correct answer and leave it at that.

It's the human tendency towards generalization. We're all familiar with our parents loosing their temper when they have to tell us to behave for the fourth or fifth time. When we tell people they're wrong, we don't always process on an other-than-conscious level (especially on the Internet) that the next person we tell is wrong isn't the same person as before.

By the time we get to our tenth argument over the same subject, we loose our cool.

And, Nakkira? Just remind them that it burns more calories to type using whole words.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 02:33

Plan: Neanderwannabe
Stats: 160/125/115 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
And, Nakkira? Just remind them that it burns more calories to type using whole words.

OH MY GOD! (I totally used your method there) That is TOO priceless. I am laughing my ass off (did it again) over here.

*goes off to calculate calories burned*
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 03:06
Autistic Carnivore

I've gone from friendly, to concerned, to frustrated, to angry... to jaded.

Now rather than telling people that what they're doing is unhealthy, I just tell them they lack taste if they can seriously even think about eating that, how icky gross.

The important thing is for me to control what I eat, not what others eat. As long as I keep that in mind, I'm tolerable.
  #85   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 11:14
Fully Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
It's the human tendency towards generalization. We're all familiar with our parents loosing their temper when they have to tell us to behave for the fourth or fifth time. When we tell people they're wrong, we don't always process on an other-than-conscious level (especially on the Internet) that the next person we tell is wrong isn't the same person as before.

By the time we get to our tenth argument over the same subject, we loose our cool.

That makes a lot of sense. It doesn't make it any easier on the poor tenth person, however. (And yes, I know the next nine COULD have used the search function to find the answer... )
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 22:13
Autistic Carnivore

Search functions are notoriously bad on UBB boards.

I think the key is that there are two ways to get knowledge from a book. One is to read it, the other is to ask someone who's read it.

Those who are in the latter category are violating the Kantian Moral Imperative: Act in a way that you would want to be universal law. If it was universal that no one read books and everyone just posted questions on boards to those who did, this forum would be nothing but questions mixed with an occasional experiential pronouncement. I became so annoyed with one poster (who confessed almost with perverse pride that the only book she read in her entire life was the Bible, and even that was not out of an expression of her Faith but because she had to for her job), who became a drama-queen and started a thread about how I didn't like her, that I started using the Kantian Imperative as part of my signature.

A good way to look at Kantian morality would be litter. There are people who litter and people who clean it up. If everyone littered and no one cleaned it up, our cities and towns would soon be covered with trash. If everyone who saw litter cleaned it up, and no one created litter on purpose (there are still accidents, like a raccoon getting into your trash can), our cities and towns would be clean and friendly-looking.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:19

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%

Something's been on my mind, and I think this is the place to post it. I've never been overly annoyed with any one person, but now I have something to say.

I've come across someone who's been very successful with her plan, who gives advice left and right, and sets herself up as the expert. I have noticed on more than one occasion that she can be quite abrupt and cross (as if she has the right to be rude and not understanding) if a newbie uses the "wrong terminology" or if someone makes a comment or suggestion she doesn't like. Most of her "followers" have no idea about this side of her.

What bothers me is that she has everyone fooled into thinking she is the greatest thing since sliced roast beef ( ) , so nice and kind, when in reality she can be quite the beotch, and and enormous know-it-all.

It just goes to show, that even if you think you 'know' someone from a bulletin board, it takes a long time to get the whole picture, and I've learned not to be too quick to judge who I like and who I'd rather avoid.

And as long as I'm letting it all out, what about those people who don't capitalize!? My shift keys are uncommonly quirky and you have to push really hard to get the capitals to work. I've sent the thing back 3 times, until I just gave up, because that's just how this model keyboard is. I actually have to go back sometimes and correct my typing for just that thing, yet there are some people so lazy they can't even hit the shift key? Gimme a break!

Thank you. My rant is finished now.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 08:40

Quote:
Kantian Moral Imperative: Act in a way that you would want to be universal law.

Hybrid, I never heard of this before, but I like it. Thanks! It's sort of like the Golden Rule... Do unto others, etc.

Not a bad thing to strive for! Even on a BB.
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 11:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Kantian Moral Imperative: Act in a way that you would want to be universal law.

I like it too, Hybrid...thanks.

I admit I've been following this thread but avoiding posting in it. Talk of veterans and regular posters has made me a bit paranoid but I've decided to log in on this finally. First, while I do post fairly regularly... I hope I'm not at the root of anyone's annoyance out there (zajack stuffs some paranoia back deep inside where it belongs). And I'll apologize in advance if my (...)'s annoy anyone...I just cant seem to write without them.

Meanwhile...to the question at hand:
I think personality does come out...not always (as lowcarbbarb said) in every post~but over time. I believe most of the people on this board are good and caring individuals. Personally...while I've had some good debates with a few people and some great discussions with others...I've not been annoyed with 99% them. There's always something to learn about when a good discussion is broached...even if you're on opposite sides of a particular concept. Have I had a difference of opinion? yup...but it rarely involves actual irratation.

The only time I've found myself getting TRULY annoyed is when a troll hits the board and spouts nonsense or when someone creates their own plan that isnt lc or healthy and then wants to know what's wrong. Dont get me wrong...a personalized plan can be great when created with knowledge and research and is combined with personal experiences. Its the ones who've just started "Atkins" and are really doing long term meat & eggs or a franken food fest (eating the stuff for b,l & d)...that make me nuts.

Oh...and "Adkins" gets under my skin, too, although I've restrained myself so far and managed to avoid commenting on it.

Last edited by zajack : Sat, Jan-14-06 at 11:26.
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 11:41

Quote:
Oh...and "Adkins" gets under my skin, too, although I've restrained myself so far and managed to avoid commenting on it.

zajack, as I was reading your post, I thought I'd post about Adkins, &/or adkins!

Thank you!