Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 21:00

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Hello Joann!

You asked about cream for coffee...I use hvy unsweetened whipping cream...1C per TBL and I use it for my Hot Cereal also...Flax-O-Meal...I don't do the caffeine as my headachs have really reduced dramatically...although I do have a migraine as I type this now but it is most likely from the chinese buffet (MSG) in my veggies...we had for lunch...so I'll be paying for that for a while! Your in the right place so Keep up the great work and enjoy all the informative posts on this forum!

Happy New Year Yall'

Bsayne
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 07:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Hello!

I am wondering if creams are different????????
The reason being, everyone tells me they use the heavy whipping cream for their coffee, and in my stores, here in TEXAS., the half and half is 2 Tablespoon =1Carb, whereas the whipping cream has 1 carb for only 1 Tablespoon.
So, in my case the half and half has the least carbs???
Does anyone have a comment on that matter?

JO Ann in TEXAS
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 10:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/167.5/130
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey Joanne,
One of the very very best things I got from this forum at the beginning was to go to www.fitday.com.

It is free, has a carb counter, will allow you to keep track of everything you eat, drink, exercise and a journal - all for free and I have really benefitted from it.

For me unless I have something to keep me honest - I will be cheating and not know it! Then I get frustrated and quit.

The carbs in 1/2 'n 1/2 are about 2 times more than for heavy cream - makes sense because 1/2 'n 1/2 has less fat.

Good luck!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 11:40

BF:
Default Cosima......

............but that is not the way my cartons read:

Half and Half 2 Tablespoons = 1 carb

Heavy whipping cream 1 Tablespoon = 1 carb

Maybe it is how they make the different brands. I am buying Walmart's brand of the half and half. I have to feel like it is the truth since it is on the label. That is the best I can do. I don't want to make this diet complicated................so I am going to go by the labels I find here at my stores. I am thinking some brands are different than others?????????

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-01, 15:14
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
That is the best I can do. I don't want to make this diet complicated

With taking on a new way of life, finding out all the information you can about products you can consume will give you tools you need to be successful. Questioning and researching gives you the power to make informed decisions.

Check the ingredients to see if there is dextrose or some other
-ose or any kind of starch is in it. Hidden carbs are everywhere! Here, Dairyland brand 33% whipping cream has dextrose and 36% does not. Manufacturers can have a lower fat content - makes it cheaper - while creating texture by using thickeners and sweeteners. If labels were always true, then Atkins bars wouldn't cause stalls in some people.

Always use an impartial source like the Low Carb Tools at the top of the page.

Karen
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 07:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Whipping cream

Hi
All three local companies put dextrose in their whipping cream here so I have been using coffee cream which is 18% our blend is only 10% up here. The labeling on products in Nova Scotia leaves a lot to be desired. I have noticed that we have come a long way as far as products availabe in the produce department but the low carb stuff hasn't arrived yet. Smaller population base I guess. It sure is great to have such a supportive group here, my weight watcher friend is even starting to look at my uplifted personality and wonder if low cal. is the answer for everyone she says that I always seem a lot happier and healthier when I'm low carbing. Now that I've found this site I really want to make this My Way Of Life. Thanks for all the info and support.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 01:45

Plan: none right now
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default on Atkins vs. Eades suggestions

I read the Atkins book twice, the PP book twice, and am rereading the PPLP at the moment. Not that this was all in the last few days mind you, and I don't remember every detail.

But as far as the differences between them, in my opinion, it's not significant. On PP one _may_ get more protein and less 'bad' fats; on Atkins one _may_ lose weight more quickly (depends on the person, really). Their exact count suggestions for carbs and supplements etc. vary somewhat... not drastically... they are really pretty similar when you line it all up in context.

Kinda like a holy book... it's one idea. People interpret it differently. In practice, every individual's body is as unique as they are anyway, and the differences in programs blur if one is experimenting and adapting their habits to what their body responds best to.

Atkins works in cardiology primarily; his first focus is on weight loss and dropping blood pressure, as those are the things most threatening to his patients. The Eades appear to (I am not certain) work with a focus on insulin-related disorders and the like; their first focus is on regulating blood sugar and insulin response, as those are the things most threatening to their patients. It's essentially the same eating plan modified slightly for the "focus" each of them hold.

Just my opinion of course... free advice may be worth what ya pay for it.

Regards,
PJ
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-02, 07:15

BF:
Default Howdy PJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your comment and opinon is worth a whole heck of a lot to me! I appreciate you taking your time to distinguish the two diets, in your opinon.

I have read some of each of the books and they kinda started to "RUN TOGEHTER" in my mind. So, I agree, the Atkins and the Protein Power are a whole lot alike. I plan to take the best of the 2 and combine them.

However, with as slow as I am losing on the Induction......I probably will stay with the Atkins 20 carbs until I lose at least 10-15 pounds, then I might start adding some carbs slowly. It appears that I might be one that is not going to be able to add too many more than the 20.

I am on my 11th day and I have only lost 5.5 pounds. Lost those all within the first 3 or 4 days, then now I am just DEAD LOCKED on the scales. I am hoping I might be losing inches instead......................HOPEFULLY?

Thanks again PJ, for your explanation between the two popular books! Either one obviously works.........one might move a little faster than the other, for some people. But, eventually, we will all lose, if we just stay with the program.

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 19:41

Stats: 243/243/150
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy HELP!

I am looking for someone who can help me figure the correct amount of protein that I should be getting per meal. My calculations have come out very low.
Let me know if someone can help me. Thanks
Lynn
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 14:04

Plan: protein power, Atkins
Stats: 275/254/175 Female 70 inches
BF:53/41/21
Progress: 21%
Default Doctor recommended

Hi Joanne

I started the Protein Power Plan at the end of November and to this date am having GREAT success! But, in the beginning I like you was concerned for my overall health. I had been on many not so good diets in the past and this time wanted to do it right. So, before I started I took the informational packet to my Doctor.(This packet came with the protein power plan I ordered off an infomercial I saw late one night.) I gave her the time to read it then scheduled another visit to discuss her thoughts and feelings. Due to the amount of weight I need to lose (100 lbs) and the shape I was in she gave me the green light! Said she found absolutley nothing wrong with it. In fact she was a believer it was actually better than most diets she read about as it included "real" foods with "real" fats. You will find yourself eating more vegitables and salads and "healthier" foods than you ever did before. She told me the more we stay away from pre-packaged foos the better. They are packed with preservatives and additives our bodies don't need!

Go ahead! My doctor approves, she did however stress the water intake a must! Said it will help keep the kidney's working properly.

Good luck to you and your sucess!

Messy
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 17:06

BF:
Default Jkrohn

..................thanks so much for your response and encouragement!
Good luck on your journey!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 22:34

Stats: 292/255/200
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi Joanne,

Well I've been on a lc since before the new year. I'm having the same confusion about which one and I've been reading, rewatching the video, etc.

One difference that I haven't seen mentioned is that PP recommends that if you're doing the program to loose weight...guess that would be us...that you should be careful about the cream, cheese and nuts. The things that are very high in fat.

I lost 12 pounds the first two weeks and several inches. In the last two complete weeks I haven't lost any weight or inches. For that time I had been doing the Atkins diet. So I'm experimenting with this new idea of keeping the high fat down to see if it makes a difference.

In regards to your doctor, many med professionals are against the lc wol. You also have to remember that until recently most doctors haven't had any training in nutrution so they are really going on guidelines of the usda. Things are starting to change though especially after your doctor sees how good your doing in loosing weight and the difference in your blood counts. Many say what ever your doing keep it up!

I've also heard that people tend to stay on these diets longer and are more successful. I'm finding that my cravings are really gone and it seems pretty easy most of the time to eat this way. I even went on a business lunch that I thought would be awkward but it was fine

Either way you go is good. I'm pretty sure I'm switching to PP because the lower fat and little bit of extra carbs makes sense to me. It seems like more people are doing atkins though.

I wish you the best.

Laurie
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 15:49

Default Avoid cheese and nuts!!!

ARG! Laurie, HELP!!

I have been on PP since the end of November and I eat cheese A LOT!! Like, everyday. And nuts are my favorite snack (only 1/4 cup) but I still have them close to everyday.

Doing quite well! Lost 5 lbs just this past week . Will this slow due to the cheese and nuts?? I don't loose 5lbs every week but since the beginning I have lost 2-3 lbs every week with no stalls ??

Please advise!

Thanks much and keep up the good work!

Messy
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:00

Stats: 292/255/200
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Cheese and nuts

Quote:
Doing quite well! Lost 5 lbs just this past week. Will this slow due to the cheese and nuts?? I don't loose 5lbs every week but since the beginning I have lost 2-3 lbs every week with no stalls ??

He Messy,

You are doing great! I thought about it after I posted that the issue I was talking about really pertained to me and what seems to be a giant stall, either due to something I'm doing wrong or something that's not working right with Atkins so I'm experimenting to see controlling the fat a little more helps. But 2-3 pounds a week is exactly what they estimate. You're right on track girl! If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Laurie
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 16:05

Default laurie

Thanks for the encouragement! I really need it. So far so good but since I'm far from being a pro I still get confused and need reassurance I'm doing it right. But, you're right I am loosing at a good pace. We'd all like it faster I'm certain. But we didn't put it (the weight) on overnight and we aren't going to take it off overnight!

Good luck to your in your continued success. The best thing I can suggest to get over the stall is step up the exercise. This always worked for me during prior dieting.

Stay strong it will happen!!!

Messy