Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 12:27

Plan: wholesome foods
Stats: 139/130/125 Female 5'7"
BF:?
Progress: 64%
Default Alcohol and low-carbing. Experiences?

How many of you have completely given up drinking when eating low-carb? Have you found that your results are quite a bit different (as far as weight loss), or do you find that if you do it in moderation (w\out the munchies of course) that you are able to get the results you want? I was just wondering since I know I have a very social life and I am older, what it was like for you college students\teens to resist the alcohol. I know at that age it's a huge part of social functions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 17:47

Plan: Organic/Dr. Berg
Stats: 239/201.6/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 42%

When I started Atkins, I had a very stressful job. At the end of the day I would drink wine until I felt normal again. I did lose about 15 lbs while still enjoying the wine, but after the first 15 lbs, I couldn't get the scale to move. I quit drinking the wine, and wa-lah, the weight started to come off again!

PS: I wouldn't consider 30's "older"
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-06, 00:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I don't drink very often, but when i do drink, I REALLY DRINK and there is no way i'm giving it up...i just had to find something LC that i could drink and drink as much as i wanted to...my favorite is rum and diet cherry coke...NO CARBS!!! rum has no carbs so you can mix it with any diet drink you want...i think vodka is also no carb, but i'm not positive. You just have to watch out for the flavored hard liquers...they use sugar in the flavoring.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 16:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/142/105 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I don't drink anymore and never did very heavily but socialy, i would have a Mike's Hard Lemonaid makes/made a low-carb versoin.. It was pretty good... better than rum and diet coke, if you ask me.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 17:04

Plan: whole foods/low carbd
Stats: 240/220/159 Female 67
BF:35.1
Progress: 25%

i have drank vodka martinis or vodka and diet 7 up and hasnt stopped me from losing.. but be aware ( spooky music).. you will feel the affect from the drinks VERY fast .. so dont go overboard!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 12:57

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

I'm a party girl, lol, so I drink quite a bit. I stick to captain and diet. After a night out I usually hit McD's and get a couple burgers without the bun. Sometimes I have a hard time controlling the carb cravings and give in to pizza or whatever but I allow myself 1 cheat day per week. I am losing weight pretty steadily so I don't really see a problem. I'm not in a rush to drop the weight as I only have a few lbs to go.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 18:20

Stats: 163/143.0/130 Female 5foot3inches
BF:42.4/37.0/?
Progress: 61%

I was wondering about this as well- because I am in college- and everyone I know drinks like 3-4 times a week- and especially this week is spring break for us, so there is even more pressure- me n my friends are pretty much party animals, but ive decided to give up beer for good- and when i do drink this week- drink diet drinks with either rum or vodka- and try my hardest to not overeat after drinking! Annndddd.......... make sure I get my 2 workouts a day done early!

Anyways...... id like to hear more from ppl who have drank on their diet and still lost!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 15:49

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 227/202/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 32%

heh, i don't drink a whole lot, but before i definitely had friends that made some great mixed drinks, the different sugary martinis and such. Ever since being more hard-core about LC, I've switched to just plain hard liquor + diet cokes.... (captain or jacks)... naturally, they hit me WAY harder... but it's been fun.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 06:35
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach Phase 1
Stats: 165/145/140 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 80%

I really like crystal light and any vodka. I used to suck down jim-and-diets til the cows came home, but now they dehydrate me so badly that i am sick the entire next day (although i still do it ha!). There is a solution, but it might be embarassing, depending on the crowd you are in, but you keep crystal light to go in your purse. order a glass of water and a shot of raspberry stoli (or any other kind of vodka) and mix it witht he crystal light... you might get weird looks, but if all else fails say you are diabetic. people can take that, but they can't take "low carb diet". you can also just order vodka and water, but they don't give you a large enough cup for it to last...
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-06, 05:18
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 192/188/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Alcohol and awful headaches since LCing

I started LCing about 3 weeks ago. I go out Friday and Saturday and usually drink 6-10 vodka and grapefruit. Since low carbing it's vodka and seltzer. At first I felt fine, now after one drink I have a terrible headache and if I keep drinking I get a thumping headache the following day. I also don't get that wonderful buzzed feeling.
Before LCing I very rarely got hungover. Anyone else have headaches and no buzz with alcohol since LCing?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 09:31

Plan: CKD
Stats: 144.4/144.4/124 Female 5'5
BF:30/30/20
Progress: 0%
Default Absolut and Dry Wine

Hi, I am on CKD plan and during my low carbing I drink Vodka or dry wine...Next morning ....kethosis ...The plus is u get drunk quickly..so u dont need to drink much

Last edited by sharinka : Thu, Jun-15-06 at 09:51.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-15-06, 10:32

Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

I've been doing Atkins for 3 years (I think......) and have continued to drink Jack and Diet 7-Up the entire time. It has not efffected me at all, however, I exercise AT LEAST 5 x's a week.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-06, 12:35
Registered Member

Stats: 138/135/110 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I also just started atkins last wed. today is my 6th day. I was tempted to drink this last weekend but I didn't. I was worried about drinking and LC eating also. So flavored rum or vodka isn't ok, but regular is? With something diet?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 15:23
Registered Member

Stats: 320/205/170 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 77%

my tolerance has definately gone up as I've gotten older. whether that's indictative of any sort of LC effects, i'm not so sure. i know that sometimes when I'm terribly ketogenic, I get buzzing REALLY quickly.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-07, 10:58

Plan: Gen LC, Atkins influence
Stats: 264/251/135 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Well... let me preface this by saying that it works for me, and I don't know how well it would work for others.

Anyone seen those alcoholic energy drinks? There's TILT and SPARKS that I know of for sure, and Sparks makes a lower sugar version (blue and silver can) that has 5 carbs for the entire can. I tend to drink one of those, and then follow it with a rum and diet cherry coke. Usually I get a buzz from that, no hangover the next morning, and have the added bonus of a pound or so gone due to the energy drink revving up my metabolism while I'm asleep.

Now, again, let me say that I don't know how well this works for anyone else, and it's an odd trick for me indeed, but I wanted to share since it was asked.