Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Lazy Atkins
Stats: 130/115/110
BF:25%
Progress: 75%

Ice Breakers Mints are 1 carb each mint according to the 3 pack listing. There are lots of sugar-free gums in the grocery store. Health food stores also sell some as well as Atkins website/catalog.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:04

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 152/146/130
BF:BMI 26
Progress: 27%
Default thanks Biffy

Thanks! I noticed my favorite, Altoids is less than 1 carb each, but the main ingredient is sugar. I'll just not indulge too much.
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:23

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Sugarless gum?

Wouldn't sugarless gum do the trick? Or does it have hidden carbs?
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 13:43

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 152/146/130
BF:BMI 26
Progress: 27%
Default sugarless gum

Most of the sugarless gums I've looked at have 1 to 3 carbs per stick, which isn't bad if not chewing the entire pack.

Thanks!
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 14:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226/210/195
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Keto Milk??

Anyone have any experience with the keto milk? I like cold cereal, and there seems to be a number of lc cereals, but what good are they if there's no lc milk?
  #96   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 00:49

Plan: Mod. LC
Stats: 265/234/190
BF:
Progress: 41%
Question Keto Quick breads

Hey folks,

Was wondering if anyone had actually gotten the Keto Quick bread mixes to actually do the rising effect that they talk about on the can. I know that I didnt mix it for longer than 15 seconds, yet the bread still didn't rise. That being said it still tasted really good and is something I will buy again if I can get the darn thing to rise......

BM
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 18:21

Stats: 223/163/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/25%/23%
Progress: 77%
Default Keto Chocolate chip cookie mix

A little to sweet for my taste. Only eat when warm after that not good. Would not buy again.
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 09:13
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 240/185/175
BF:99%
Progress: 85%
Unhappy KETO "Food"

I recently purchased some KETO LC products from their website (KETO Canada in Brampton). I must tell you, I had a bad experience with almost all of them. Here's my summary:

Pizza Dough - Not bad (7/10). When mixed with tomotoes, meat, and cheese its quite bearable.

Bread Mix - Completely inedible (0/10). I checked the instructions several times to make sure I had prepared this correctly. I threw the whole batch in the garbage. It falls apart in your mouth and is too dry to even swallow. No taste, and a texture similar to sponge.

KETO bars - Horrific (1/10). Hard to get down. I had the smores flavour and it tasted like cardboard. Actually, I would have prefered cardboard. I find that a brand called "Strive" from Bio-Chem taste best, and I have tested several. Nitro-tech is really the best, but has more carbs; ideal for a meal replacement though

KETO Chocolate Pudding - Almost bearable (3/10). Looks nothing like it does on the package. You really need to add extra cream, so its not worth the bother. Just stick to Maltitol products like "Woodies" for a small endulgence. These are fantastic, and about 1.5 grams per stick (excluding Maltitol).

KETO Bread Crumbs - see KETO Bread Mix...it's the same crap, just partially chewed for you.

KETO Ketchup - ? They haven't shipped it yet! I'm sure it'll be okay.

I paid $88 bucks for all this, and it was a big waste of money. I do recommend the Pizza Dough, but at 7 bucks CDN a pop, it's a little pricey.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has had similar experiences with KETO. Also, has anyone tried Atkins brand bread mix. I want to try it, but its almost $20!!

Your comments are welcome.

Shutt22
Ottawa
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 02:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Shutt, I've tried many of the same products, and I will point out that all truly low-carb products (I think sugar alcohols are pretty borderline, they are low-glycemic but in MY opinion, they are NOT low-carb), especially mixes, that are 'substitutes' will cook up differently than the 'normal' product that caused us problems in the first place... and 4 years of LC tells me it takes a bit of practice and patience to work with alternative ingredients, too, instead of the cheaper sugar and flour of the 'normal' foods.

I found the bread mix, for instance, when left to sit (rather like the classic quickbread loaves) a day or 2 in the fridge, improved in taste and texture considerably. I also have developed many recipes and can assure you that the moisture-binding properties of sugars and starches are very hard to duplicate.

Finally, these kinds of products are intended to be treats, rather than staples. I approach them with caution, personally, and with altered expectations.... and I EXPECT the dollar value for protein to be higher.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Tue, Sep-17-02 at 02:56.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 13:34

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%

I just read through this loooong thread

and didn't see any reference to Keto Sweet. It is advertised as a granular form of Splenda but without a carb filler (maltodextrin I think that is?)

Anyway, I've been mixing sweeteners lately since I find that straight Splenda has a cloying aftertaste. (for example, in a recipe I use half Splenda, half Stevia)

I was excited to find this product since it appears to be carb free.

I would appreciate any comments from anyone who has used it - it would almost appear to have the same appeal as liquid Splenda, no?

Thanks, barefoot1
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 15:27

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

The keto products out weigh EVERY other lc product I've tried...they are awesome...and unfortunately Dr.Atkins low end over priced products are CRAP..i couldn't believe how gross some of those things were!

Anyways, I buy Keto EVERYTHING and love it all!
  #102   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: Mainly the Metabolic Diet
Stats: 330/219/170
BF:
Progress: 69%

On the Keto issue..... when I owned my lowcarb store, people either loved the Keto stuff or hated it. Most people didn't like the chips at ALL. Same with the macaroni and cheese. But their shakes are the best, IMO.
I still haven't tried their cookies....although I hear that the new ones are really good. Someone told me the Pleasantville Cookies were even better....anyone tried them??

Happy Lowcarbing,
Julee
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 06:04

Stats: 187.5/182.0/140 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm going to be on the road a lot over the next month and I'm trying out some products for emergency "dining". None of these beat real food, but for what it's worth here are some reviews:

Keto Cookies - Lemon Nut - Like a very dry biscotti cookie. It's edible but only just. The ingredient list is really good, no chemicals!

Keto Bar: Carmel Nut Crunch - I actually liked this pretty well. It is moist and sweet. I was surprised that there was no coating but it wasn't a problem. Tastes of the added protein but is quite doable and filling.

Pumpkorn: Original Flavor - This I really liked but of course it is basically a real food - pumpkin seeds with spices. They are delicious at 2 EEC per 1/3 cup. I think I'll need to prepackage them in serving sizes because I think I could down large amounts without knowing it.

More soon ...

P.S. I have the Keto shakes every morning for breakfast. I haven't tried any others for comparison but I haven't gotten tired of these yet.
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 03:23

BF:

Now I've tried out the La Tortilla Whole Wheat Low-Fat Low-Carb tortillas. This won't come as any surprise to the old pros around here, but they are really great! I had them as a substitute for blinis (with sour cream and caviar, yeah!) at a family get together and they worked admirably. I keep them in the freezer and heat 'em up in the microwave. At 3 effective carbs per tortilla, I can now occasionally have "sandwiches."

Yesterday, it was the Keto Chocolate Peanut Butter bar. This is amazingly good, though a little too sweet for my taste. I refrigerated it before eating it. There is a bit of acetone-like quality to it, but nothing too serious.

Last edited by Marie_D : Thu, Sep-26-02 at 00:15.
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 08:05

BF:

It's me again. I feel ridiculous replying to my own posts but the site won't let you edit after a certain period goes by. I'm still trying out some things and hope these mini-reviews will be of some use to somebody.

Keto Cookies and Creme Bar - This was the BEST YET. I ate it cold and it reminded me a lot of chocolate chip cookie dough in a thin chocolate coating. I really, really liked the thing - almost too well! It has no sugar alcohols but plenty of glycerine, i.e. lots of carbs (identified on label) that may or may not cause cravings or stalls in some people. If you can net the 14g of glycerine out, it winds up as 4g of delicious carbs and 24 g of protein. The bar also contains 600 mg of glutamine peptides, and maybe for that reason I found it satisfying over a several hour period.

Biochem Strive bar - Mixed Berry Crunch - This was not for me but it's not too bad. It has a crunchy filling (soy nuggets and "strawberry nuggets") surrounded by a strawberry icing. It was way too sweet for my taste. I was pleased that there was not an overpowering soy taste, however. Biochem shows only the "net carbs" on the label so you would have to do some math to find the hidden carbs. It does contain sugar alcohols.