Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 11:21

Plan: SBD + Exercise
Stats: 218/211/135 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Keto shakes to go

Hi all,
I just finsished a chocolate Keto shake, pre-made boxed drink. I refrigerated them as soon as they came yesterday afternoon. I drank one this morning for meal #2 and it was very "doable". These will be ideal for the traveling we will be doing this summer. I believe the price through Netrition was around $2 (USD) per box and they come as a minimum 3 pack. I will be trying the vanilla tomorrow and will let you all know of my personal humble opinion concerning that product.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sat, Jun-29-02, 16:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Yup. Just released THIS MONTH from Keto Foods of LifeServices,
www.ketofoods.com
www.lifeservices.com
in Milk Chocolate and Vanilla (so far).

The ingredient list looks very high quality and they should be good!
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Jun-30-02, 13:20

Plan: atkins-ish
Stats: 398/391/299 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Keto Mac n cheese

Hello all!

I just wanted to post this again in defense of the Keto Mac N cheese. I've read several reviews that say that this is a nasty product and not worth the money...before you make that decision I'd like for you to give this recipe a try. I firs thought that this was a gross product but what I realized is that when you are trying to create meals with LC products you have to be VERY creative. It is a rare find that you can just make it directly as it says on the box and expect it to taste good...that goes the same for "regular" boxed food as well, right??? We often have to "doctor" foods to make them taste like home cooked meals...same here.

Anyway, so if you want to give the mac n cheese a try and possibly add a WONDERFUL side dish or MEAL to your options then check this out!

follow the directions on the box (it doesn't hurt to boil the pasta about 2 or 3 minutes longer than suggested on the box) but when making the cheese sauce use all cream instead of water, then add:

1/3 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese
1/3 cup of shredded med/shrp cheddar cheese

and one of the following-
1/2 cup of seasoned ground beef (for a hamburger helper taste)

OR

1 small can of tuna and a sml handful of green peas (for a delicious tuna casserole taste)

salt and pepper to taste.

If anyone out there decides to try this PLEASE post your thoughts and let us know what you think!

Peace to all!!!!

Star
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 19:23
Registered Member

Plan: Lazy Atkins
Stats: 130/115/110
BF:25%
Progress: 75%
Default Keto Chips

A few people have mentioned that they don't like the Keto Chips...

Ultimate Nachos!

My husband and I fixed them by spreading a bag out on a pan, adding to the top a lb. of cooked taco meat and sharp cheddar thick on top.

Bake it in the oven for a few to melt the cheese and I served it with lettuce & sour cream --

It's not bare bones low carb but it's not too bad. The entire bag of Keto Tortilla chips is about 15g for 5oz. and the 3 of us here finished maybe half of the pan.

It was very tasty.

Enough cheese can hide anything

---------------------------------------------------

Shakes & Bars

I **cannot stand** Atkins Bars and most protein bars and shakes that I have tasted to date. They sent me a free box and I swear they tasted like Lemon Pledge smells. I spit it out.

I have tasted every Atkins shake both pre-made & powder. My husband says they are drinkable. I just can't force myself. **gag**

I have not tasted the Keto shakes or bars. We did buy some though.

-----------------------------------------------------

Dessert Stuff

I don't get into the debate about hidden carbs. I treat myself occasionally with these desserts.

Pure De-lite http://www.puredeliteproducts.com/
The De-lite candy bars rock --- All of 'em. Creamy! I use the white chocolate ones in Cheesecake. They also have little "treasures" and bon-bon things that are great. Dark, Milk, Milk Almond, Milk Coconut, Milk Mint, Milk Orange, Milk Peanut, White

De-lite makes a "gummy-bear" animal shaped candy... If you happen to eat these, Have Gas-X or a comparable product handy, cause they will make you STINKYYYY!

The Pure De-lite High-Protein, Sugar-Free Cookies taste like ---protein bars-- I won't buy it again. Bleh!

Daskalides
If you can find Candy Bars by Daskalides you will know true happiness. Belgian sugar-free nummy goodness. My most favorite is the Milk/Coffee ganache filled. They have many flavors (Maltitol sweetened) http://www.daskalides.com/
I usually nibble just one or two small pieces off the bar. It's so rich it satisfies the craving.

Atkins
The Atkins chocolates are fair. I loved them until I found others.

My husband is a Reeses cup nut and I ordered him a Atkins peanut butter cup to try. He thought they were not bad. The peanut butter was not as thick. Creamy (Ya know how Reeses are a tad gritty?)

Atkins also has a brownie mix that I thought had a wonderful texture. Next time I make them I will try adding some nuts or maybe chunk up a sugar-free candy bar into the mix for some variety.

Atkins Cheesecake in Key Lime was very tasty. Expensive though.

Keto
Keto Vanilla Ice-Cream is ok. It tastes kinda Egg-y to me (like a custardy flavor) and not like the vanilla I was expecting. I'd much rather make a regular recipie ice-cream and sub out the sugar for splenda.

I tried a chocolate biscotti thing from them too and it had an okay taste although I thought it was kinda like a stale brownie.

Other
Sugar Free popsicles! 3 carbs per bar. Nice summer treat. I can't remember the brand. I got them at a regular grocery store.

Whipped Cream is a spray bottle is not as bad on carbs as I thought. I put it on top of Sugar free Jello.

We tried the Meringues from Atkins and I thought they were so-so, my husband really liked them.

-----------------------------------------------------
Pancakes, Muffins and Breakfast

Atkins muffins/bread mixes are awesome. I have tried them all. I like the Banana Nut best. Makes a nice Banana Nut Bread too. I have their corn muffin mix to try.

Atkins Pancakes/Waffle Mix - These are beautiful as can be when you cook them. They taste really egg-y too if you follow the instructions. I don't quite know if I like them yet or not.

Atkins Syrup is just nasty brown water with an after taste.

Log Cabin Sugar Free Syrup is buttery and tasty. It lists as 12g carbs.. but those are all Sugar Alchols and as I said before, I don't do the hidden carb debate. I don't eat this daily so dang it, I want taste!

Flax-o-meal Pancakes in Apple Spice. I thought the texture was so-so, taste was good, but I was biased by the awful Atkins Syrup on top. I need to try this again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other stuff

Cheeters Crackers - just... odd I guess. They are making bread and mini pizzas as well, although I have not tried them.

Heavenly Dessets is a no-sugar added cracker I bought from atkins and its very good. I laughed though when I noticed that they are actually a little higher in carbs than Club crackers from Keebler.

Just the Cheese were nasty salty yuckiness - Threw it AWAY.

Low Carb Pasta:
Keto Pasta - Nasty
Due Amici Pasta - nastiness and ugly to boot!
Sugar Busters makes a decent pasta, but it's still higher than most of the "low carb" pastas. If you must have pasta it is the best choice as far as taste.

I know there are alot more items I have tried.. I just can't think of them all right now.

-Biffy

Last edited by Biffy : Thu, Jul-11-02 at 20:30.
  #80   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 21:49

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

I got a free Keto Bar w/ my netrition.com order so I picked chocolate fudge. I hate to waste food but after I managed to eat half, I threw the other half away! YUCK!
  #81   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 22:20

Plan: Atkin's Modified
Stats: 184/176/150 Female 65"
BF:32%
Progress: 24%
Default Keto

Keto Kooler -Pink Lemonade Pretty good, not bittersweet like you normally would get with koolaid. Easy to fix and you can fit the bottle in your purse.

Keto Chips - Plain and Nacho Cheese
I thought these were a great substitute for regular chips. Especially with taco fixings. You can use them to scoop or break them up for a taco salad. Not as crunchy as regular, but still pretty good flavor.

Keto Banana Cream Shake Mix
Just got it. Use really cold water or put it in the fridge for a bit. It taste pretty darn good! and thick and creamy if you use the blender to mix it up. Definitely makes a better shake than Atkin's mixes.

Keto French Vanilla Coffee
Okay, I may have added more than 6-8 oz of water to my 1 tsp. It tasted a little too watery. For 2 carbs, I can make my own coffee with cream and SF syrups. Not worth the money!

Keto Icecream Strawberry
I didn't have an icecream maker for this, so I stuck it in the freezer. Scooped it out when it was like a slushie. Pretty good flavor and it will work in a pinch for something sweet. I'm gonna have to invest in an icecream maker!

I know this is the Keto Forum, but I do love the Atkin's Blueberry Muffins. Almost too much, you have to be careful and freeze them or share them! I also love the capuccino shake mix. It is wonderful mixed with a bit of Designer Chocolate Protein Powder. I also like the Atkin's Hazelnut Syrup and Raspberry. The regular Atkin's Pancakes are pretty good even with the syrup and they freeze well. My kids didn't care for the Atkin's Pancakes and syrup, so I make their batch regular and make my batch! Best of both worlds.

Atkins' Endulge bars were the best until I found Carbolite chocolate bars and Pure Delite! Just to reward myself every now and then

Thanks a bunch hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 22:53
Registered Member

Hrmm I forgot Keto Spread...

I tried the Plum on a little bit of home made cheesecake... NUM and low carb bread w/ cream cheese & a tad of this is nummy.

Tried Keto Coffee Swiss Mocha and it was watery. Added some extra & a little whipping cream and it was a tad better.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 07:57

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I love the atkins capuccino mix too. Mix in the belnder with some heavy cream and ice. Then add a peice of dark chocolate delite bar and blend more. You get these frozen dark chocolate chips in your shake.....mmmmmmmmmm....so good.
  #84   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 08:22

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Post Gator's shopping samples

KETO SHAKE BANANA CREME PIE:
Great! I definately prefer it in a blender with ice and cream.

DR. ATKINS BARS (any):
They taste like chalk (although I haven't tried chalk lately).

KETO CARAMEL BAR:
Yummy!

KETO SMORES BAR:
Yuck. Like an Atkins bar.

KETO PIZZA CRUST:
Very good.
  #85   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 13:14

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Default chocolate bars

I wholeheartedly agree with everyone who says that the Atkins bars are horrid... I tried the brownie one the other day and spit it out. And that's saying a lot... I can usually stomach anything. Tasted NOTHING like a brownie. I'm afraid I can't post specifically what it tasted like, as it would be vulgar.

On the other hand, the CarboLite bars are AMAZING. Just the perfect little nip after a meal to satisfy my sweet tooth. Creamy, chocolaty, and sweet (but not too sweet). They're blissful.
  #86   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-02, 20:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I have tried the Keto ice cream mixes and they were all quite good. The Orange Dreamsicle tasted just like those orange creamsicles Good Humor makes and we liked it a lot.

We also liked the vanilla and chocolate flavors.

The only change I made to their directions was using all heavy cream instead of 1 cup heavy cream and one cup skim milk (yecchh and more unnecessary carbs). The ice cream is easy to make, too; I like making my own custard ice cream, but not when it's 85 degrees!

The IC is very creamy and, while it does become hard in the freezer, if you let it sit in the frig for awhile or put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes on low, it is still creamy.

Karla
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 10:48
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/-
BF:
Progress: 23%

After a weekend of cheating (*sigh*) I decided to try the Carbolite Chocolate Almond bar because I just needed some chocolate! I was surprised they were so good... nice consistency, no "sugar-free" aftertaste, great with the almonds added in and only 0.2g net carbs! It's not as great as eating a real melt-in-your-mouth piece of fine milk chocolate - but it satisfied my craving - so I'm HAPPY!

Also, someone above mentioned the sugar-free popsicles... they are the "Popsicle" brand and I agree, they're really good!

I'm also looking for the sugar-free Fudgesicles and sugar-free Creamsicles (my grocer doesn't carry them) - not sure of the carb count on them, but worth checking out.

**EDIT**
Found another post here regarding the hidden carbs in the Carbolite bars... so sad! I'll definitely save these for one of those "I must have something sweet, the craving is not passing and I'm going to eat a pan of brownies" moments! lol

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=53554

Last edited by Lunula : Mon, Aug-12-02 at 11:03.
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 11:27

Plan: Combination
Stats: 164/159.5/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Default Disgusting

I am not known for spitting things out, but after I baked a golden brown loaf of Keto Bread last week, I nearly hurled. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever attempted to eat.
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:24
Registered Member

The brand is Popsicle you are quite correct! Good Humor-Breyers is the maker. There are 2 flavors - Regular (Orange, grape and cherry) & Tropical

Sugar-free Fudgesicles and sugar-free Creamsicles non-existant from that company! I have coveted the no-sugar added variety on many occassions.

No-Sugar added Fudgesicles (Serving Size 2 Bars, 1.75 fl. oz. each) are 17g Carbohydrates with 1g Dietary Fiber

No-Sugar added Creamsicles are much better at 6g of Carbs (no fiber) while the regular ones have 18g (Serving size: 1.75 fl. oz)

I don't know why they list the serving sizes like that - 2 bars for one and 1 bar for the other. Maybe they are packaged like that as well.

----------------------------------

OH.. and Keto brownies have the consistancy of a kitchen sponge! Nasty nasty! Go for the Atkins brand. Much much much better texture! I don't think I screwed up the Keto ones when I made 'em either.

Atkins Corn Muffins were ok... I screwed up in that I put the muffins in the oven and looked over to realize the oil that was supposed to be in the muffins was sitting on the counter in the measuring cup They were better than I thought they were going to turn out though.

Keto Koolers in the Cranberry brand was a big waste of alot of money in my opinion. I'd rather buy -15- 2ltr bottles of Diet Rite than waste it on the Keto powder.

Last edited by Biffy : Mon, Aug-12-02 at 12:38.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 12:50

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 152/146/130
BF:BMI 26
Progress: 27%
Default low carb hard candy or gum?

Does anyone know of any low carb hard candy (like mints?) or gum? Something to get this awful taste out of my mouth throughout the day. Ugh . . . Thanks!!