Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 14:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/245/175
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Keto brownies

I just made the Keto chocolate brownies (brownie / cookie mix). Considering I haven't had anything even remotely resembling bread / cookie / brownie since 1/6/02, I was really happy with them! Glad to be able to post a review!!

One of the major reasons I got onto this thread today was to ask:
Are the Keto products really A-OK - no "hidden carbs" that I keep hearing about? I just want to make sure before I go and order several items (thanks for the reviews everyone!!) and then find they're really not what I thought......

Thanks for your input!!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

A whole company or class of products can't really be 'classified' as having hidden carbs or not.

As ever, you must read the Nutrition Facts and Ingredients List for yourself for each product you try (and double-check the serving size to be sure). There is ALWAYS the Tools:Hidden Carbs Inspector calculator to use, see the orange menu bar above and click on Tools to take advantage of this excellent resource!

Please do report back here if the Brownie Mix, for instance, hasn't yet been reported on (have you searched the Products forum?) and let us know what you find...

Thanks!
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 16:09

Stats: 263/245/175
BF:
Default Keto brownies

Thanks, Judi!
I hadn't used the "hidden carb tool" - I guess I just need to spend more time (as soon as I figure out how to get more than 24 hrs in a day!! ) playing with all the neat things on this site!
Anyway, it looks like the Keto brownies are OK! Whew! I would have hated to have to pitch 'em - especially since I rather like them!
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 13:13

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default Keto quick bread

Hi...

Just tried the Keto quick bread last night (was going to make the shepard's bread recipe but couldn't find all the ingredients at the specialty store). I thought it was quite good and it couldn't be easier to make. The can cost me about $4, and it made one loaf, which I cut into about 16 pieces. You're supposed to be able to get up to 20 servings, but I couldn't slice it that thin. I put a little butter on it while it was hot, sprinkled a combo of cinnamon, 1 packet of Spenda and Equal, and it was really really good. And sweet. Would probably make good French Toast. Haven't checked for hidden carbs, but I don't think there are a lot, if any. And I'm not sure if I still have the can to do a check now, so if someone wants to do that, it would be great.

Looking forward to trying some of the other Keto products.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 19:02
Registered Member

Default Keto Quick Bread?

Which flavour, Joanie? There's at least 3, I think....
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 19:13
Registered Member

Default Keto Koolers - Cranberry

Small bottle, lots of servings in it! 1/2 tsp makes a full glass, it's lightly tangy and has supplemental vits & mins in it. Details at http://www.lifeservices.com/ezStore...=3_1_1_0_0_1_90

Overall, I think it's a good thing (and a nice change).
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 12:56

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default Keto bread

Island Girl, the bread I bought is Keto "Golden Original". My goal was to just have an ordinary type of bread, and this pretty much works. The bread itself didn't taste sweet to me, but when I added butter and AS, it was good. This is the first low-carb bread I have tried, so I have nothing to compare it with. Maybe someone else can try it and tell me if it is better/worse than other choices. Ingredients are wheat gluten, soy protein isolate, egg white powder, almond meal, enriched flour, oat fiber, nonfat dry milk, baking powder, etc. I'll see if I can find out whether there are hidden carbs, but nothing on that list makes me think so...
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 22:36

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 276/248/137
BF:
Talking

Hi everyone, I've tried three of the Keto breads...the cinnamon raison, french, and sour dough rhye.......they're not bad......actually, the cinnamon raisen bread is pretty dawgun good.....I spread cream cheese on it and I'm a happy camper. I didn't mind the cocoacrisps and milk either since I'm a fruit and cereal nut...The french left alot to be desired. So the icecreams aren't worth the money? That was my next project. I made a screamin' lasagna and a chocalate cheesecake and a New York cheesecake.......ooooohhhhh yeeeeeaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shelly........
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/252/195
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Great LC items.

I thought I'd contribute something to the forum after getting so much out of it. I went on a buying binge online for low carb foods and had a hit or miss experience with most. Here is a bigtime winner, keto pasta shells and ragu cheese sauce.

Keto pasta shells are available on the web (i got it at netrition.com) and Ragu cheese sauce at the local store. The pasta has 4 ECC for a 3/4 cup (dry) and the cheese sauce has 3 carbs for a 1/4 cup. The cheese sauce is the real deal, made for regular tastes, so imagine how good it tasted to me doing LC for over a month. The pasta shells taste a little odd plain, but with tomato sauce or cheese sauce are wonderful. I've had it as a main course with spaghetti sauce and meatballs, but the carb count was a bit high. With the cheese sauce it is a wonderful side dish, I love it with a steak. By the way, the cheese sauce stretched fine for me for 1 and half servings of pasta, so you don't need alot to get the cheese flavor.
Another bigtime winner to my tastebuds are LaTortilla Factory's whole wheat tortillas (3 ECC). They've been covered here already, but I'm here to say they are nearly as good as regular flour tortillas. Tip, Use Red Habanero sauce, its so hot/flavorful that a few drops will spice up your taco without all the carbs of regular taco sauce.

Atkins Muffin's are a mainstay in my house. I've heard other types of muffins mentioned here, but I won't even bother trying them. I've had blueberry and cranberry/apple. 3 carbs per regular, real world sized muffin. There is also a banana walnut that is even better, and its only 2 (!!!) carbs per muffin. Hot muffins with butter, I dare u to miss bread after u eat these.

If you are getting bored with LC, want more variety or just hate green veggies (yuck ), try these out.
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 17:35

Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Chocolate Peanutbutter Keto Shake

I just purchased the chocolate peanutbutter shake and all I have to say is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I've had it for 2 days consistently and oh it is good. At first I was like meal replacement I dont think so.

Now I have one for breakfast and I am satisfied until lunch time without having any snacks in between. I have all flavors but the vanilla and eggnog. I'm not a fan of vanilla shakes anyway so I'm in no rush for that one and egg nog... thats like breaking a tradition if you have egg nog before thanksgiving, its just unheard of!

But go buy and taste they are great! Thanks to Karen I also now combine my flavors for added variety. Like chocolate&orange, chocolate&banana, strawberry&banana and chocolate&chocolate peanutbutter.

I cant even remember the last time I ate bacon and eggs for breakfast! Yippie.

PS: I also purchased la tortilla factory tortilla's - see my new thread!

Shannon
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 16:36

Plan: combo of several
Stats: 276/258/145
BF:
Progress: 14%
Exclamation Keto Bread mix

I bought the Keto golden bread mix, and the pancake mix/muffin mix. I made the muffins first, they were edible, but did have that feeling ans taste of sawdust. I decided the bread would probably be the same so I used it for something else. I added salt, pepper, and a little red pepper and coated catfish pieces in it and deep fried them. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! This is the perfect way to use this mix in my opinion. Each piece had a nice crunchy coating on it. I would buy it again, but only to use as a bredding.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 15:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default More Keto reviews

Here's the few Keto products I've tried and my reviews of them:

Keto tortilla chips: Don't waste your money. They taste nothing like regular tortilla chips as the package promises. Still...smothered in melted cheese, they were tolerable.

Keto Ketato: NASTY, NASTY, NASTY! Hubby said he's had wood glue that tasted better (don't ask how he knows) I tried it once and threw the rest of the package away.

Keto Oatmeal raisin bars: Wonderful, IMO. They tasted very similar to an oatmeal raisin cookie, but much denser. Great with coffee as a morning snack or as part of breakfast.

Keto Strawberry bars: Also good, but not as good as the oatmeal raisin, IMO.

Keto Bread crumbs, Cajun flavor: Used them to make meatloaf and I can tell you, they definitely have a kick. Next time, I'll use less of them, though, because they soaked up all the meat juices and made the meatloaf dry.

Keto Mac and Cheese: GROSS!!! 'Nuff said.

Keto Fruit Spread: I've tried the grape and the strawberry. Not bad, but for the carbs I think I'd rather have Macadamia nut butter or some cream cheese instead.

Keto Cookies (the pre-made biscotti style): They weren't horrible, but I probably won't spend the money on them again; dry and not very tasty.

Keto Pizza Dough mix: Pretty darn good, IMHO. Hubby even liked it. The dough is somewhat hard to stretch into the pizza pan and I used my bread maker knead and rise the dough, but the crust was pretty good. Consider, too, that I haven't had "real" pizza in about 9 months.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sat, Mar-23-02 at 16:23.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 17:48
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%

This thread hasn't been touched for days...but here goes. I'm wondering if anyone has searched the web for the lowest prices on the KETO shakes? I'm having a hard time finding the banana cream pie and choc peanut butter flavors.

Thanks ahead of time.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 18:42
Registered Member

Try getting on the mailing list of the makers of the Keto products, they REGULARLY send out email coupons which helps bring the price down considerably.

http://www.ketofoods.com
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 19:28

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 270/232/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:Yes, unfortunately
Progress: 32%
Thumbs up Keto OJ

We just tried the Keto OJ, and even my 6 year old son likes it. It doesn't taste "just like fresh squeezed", but it was still really good - not too sweet. I think I'll keep it around! I might try the Cranberry Kooler - we all like cranberry juice. I like to keep something besides soda in the fridge for my son to drink, and it's a nice treat once in a while.

I have to say that overall I haven't had much luck in trying L/C products - tried the Keto tortilla chips, HATED them. Tried the Just the Cheese - DISGUSTING, sawdust, blech, blech, blech.

I'm thinking of trying a couple of the shakes - more for convenience than because I'm tired of bacon and eggs - I just don't have time in the morning always, and we do have a blender at work! Also, I think I might try the Keto Mac and Cheese, probably with some additions. My son really likes mac, so I wouldn't mind having one that we can all have!

Regards,

Theresa