Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 03:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149/149/126 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default No news from GP

Hi guys,

Well its been nearly a week now since I senta letter and a SAE to my Docs to get a copy of my results and have not received anything yet.......what on earth is going on with these people???!!!

I am feeling real bad this morning, even after a real good sleep, I am so tired I can barely keep my eyes open, and just feel like I have no energy at all......

I have been doing the Fat Fast as well, think I am going to stop that as haven't lost any weight (booooo!)...and that might be making me feel worse.....

Pretty depressed this morning...and God knows how long its going to be before I am referred to an Endo on the NHS normally takes forever doesn't it? Just wish I could see Dr Skinner..........

Becs
x
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 03:38

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 319/195/175 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Becs...
Come off that fat fast and do some decent eating. It won't work and will make you feel exhausted. Still, you've found that out for yourself now!
I would ring your doctor and ask them about the tests and that you've sent an SAE to them. Dont' be narky with them, just presume it's a hold up in the system.
And as soon as you get that Endo through, change your doctor for another one immediately. She's a disgrace.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 04:55

BF:
Talking

Hi Annabel,

Definitely coming off the Fat Fast now, I have so little energy its untrue...how I am keeping myeyes open at work I don't know! I get tired easily anyway but at the moment am absolutely shattered.

Would be realy interested to know what kind of diet you have found that suits you? As although I want to loose weight I still want to feel well, and don't know if I should up my carbs at all. Very confusing!

As soon as I see my Endo I am changing my GP , you are right she is a disgrace and just couldn't care ledd I don't think. I also think she doesn't want her judgement questioned and thats why she doesn't want to send through the results. Aren't the NHS great! :0(

Becs
x
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 09:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, just try to maintain your weight right now. Its about impossible to lose when you're hypothyroid.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 10:18

BF:

Nancy, Do you stick mainly to an LC Diet or do you add more carbs than myself? I usually have around 20g carbs a day.

Becs
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 10:25

BF:

Becs, that's too low. Have a look at the South Beach. You might as well eat well whilst you're waiting for your endo. It's nigh on impossible to lose weight until you're medicated, but you don't want to gain either!!!
The South Beach has a goodly amount of carbs to keep you sorted and give you energy.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 10:55
Experimenter

BF:

Well, there is some thought that being very low on carbs might make thyroid matters worse. I don't obsess over carbs all that much any longer, I discovered that ultimately it is still calories that count and probably most of us thyroid sufferers run into the same issue.

I try to keep my protein high, about 1g per kilo of body weight or more and the calories down while still eating as many veggies as I can. Sometimes on treat days I have a serving of potatoes or on super-treat days I have popcorn!

But I don't eat wheat at all, since I found it was probably what got my thyroid sick in the first place. And it was giving me IBS for sure.

Usually my menu is:

Breakfast: Cottage cheese with SF lemon curd (my own recipe) or turkey sausages or eggs

Lunch: Enormous salad with artichoke hearts, or asparagus and grilled chicken breast

Snack: Pickles or yogurt with SF syrup on top

Dinner: Meat and Veggies

Dessert: More cottage cheese with lemon curd or yogurt
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 11:15

BF:

Nancy, this is pretty 'south Beach' anyway (Phase 1) which is what I've discovered I can lose weight on. I discover I lose most of my weight on days I eat more cottage cheese - presumably because of the low calorie content?
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 15:47
Experimenter

BF:

Maybe so. I find I need about 260 calories in the morning so I can eat 260 calories of anything high protein and be ok until lunch. To me it doesn't matter if it is high fat or non fat, its more the calories. Although you get more protein if you eat the non-fat kind.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Nov-15-05, 18:06

BF:

I don't count calories, but I know on my 'lighter' days I do better. I haven't had my meds stabilised yet, but I'm getting there. I hope that some more weight loss will kick in soon. I lose very slowly at the moment but hopefully this might spead up as I go on. I figure any weight loss is good weight loss so if it takes me another two years to lose it, I don't care.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 05:05

BF:

Hi,

I was thinking of adding some oats or something like that and maybe some lc fruits to see if this made any difference.......don't know if this would help though...

Am really despairing to be honest...its like no matter what I do I can't loose anything at all...most of my clothes form last year don't fit anymore and it makes me so depressed...there's nothing worse than that is there?

Do you guys think I should do South Beach phase 1?? If so could you just let me know the basics of this??

Becs
xxx
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 07:05

BF:
Default I have results from Doc!!!!

Hi guys,

I have just got my results, and non of it makes any sense to me...there's loads on there as they tested for other stuff as well, such as diabetes at the same time, this is what I think is relevant;

T4 Dose - not stated to be on thyroxine
Serum TSH Level - 1.98 mu/L

Does this make any sense to you?????? I would realy like to know what you think, as I have no clue at all.......!

Thanks for all your help it really is appreciated.

Becs
x

Last edited by Becs101 : Wed, Nov-16-05 at 07:06. Reason: made typos!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 10:42
Experimenter

BF:

Post the ranges please. Numbers are different from various labs, really need the ranges for it to make sense.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Nov-16-05, 11:21

BF:

Yes, we need the lab range. The surgery should let you know if you phone them.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Nov-17-05, 04:49

BF:

Hi guys,

The lab ranges on the piece of paper I got, are;
0.27 - 4.20 for the TSH test.....does this make any sense, it really doesn't to me.

They didn't do any other tests for thyroid only this one......its all very confusing...

Becs
x