Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 16:15

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 190/145/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Why are so many calling their Diets "My Own"

Okay, first time post in the "War Zone", but I have seen so many people asking to have their menus checked, when they state that their "doing their own thing" diet. When they describe their menu it's basically a typical Atkins or South Beach menu. So many people think that Atkins is MEAT and EGGS only. Many have never gotten past the 2 week Induction. Then these same people complain about being "stalled". Do they not realize that after Induction, we start adding in more veggies, fruits, nuts, and EVEN potatoes?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 16:23

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The ones that really make me scratch my head are those who list 'my own' in their plan, but when you check their profile for books read, it says "none".
Huh? You've read nothing about what you're doing and are now wondering why your self-styled plan isn't working out?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 16:56
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Now my opinion is this...

(disclaimer: My opinion doesn't mean diddly squat)

People say they are doing there own plan, because they don't want to actually give up some of the carbs or sugar or whatever it is that other plans insist on for success.

So they say their own so they can basically eat whatever they want or have the excuse that nobody is telling them how to eat.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 17:12

Plan: between plans again
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
QUOTE=notskinny: Why are so many calling their Diets "My Own"?

Why are so many viewing their way of eating as a "diet"?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 17:27
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

I just read a post in another thread about evaluating someone's menu with a "My Own" plan. I wondered what we were supposed to evaluate because if it is your "own" how do I know what is allowed on your plan? I could judge based on MY plan...but it wouldn't be the same.

Interesting topic...thank you for bringing it up!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 17:28

BF:

I refer to my eating habits/food choices as my "diet" though I'll be on this particular "diet" for the rest of my life. As in "McDonalds foods are a regular part of my diet". (NOT!!)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 17:32
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I personally call my plan "My Own" because I've borrowed from more than one plan, experimenting and adapting to try to find what works for me.

That, and I got tired of being sniped at for listing Atkins as my plan when I wasn't DOING IT RIGHT. I got tired of having to explain and justify having more carbs, for instance, in the mornings... not to get away with eating off-plan, but because if I don't, I can't stretch, lift and transfer my 130+ lb son and get him ready for the day.

That's just a part of it, but I hope you can see where I'm going with it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 17:55

Plan: Atkins' OWL
Stats: 294/237.6/149 Female 5'8"
BF:oodles
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by klc145
I just read a post in another thread about evaluating someone's menu with a "My Own" plan. I wondered what we were supposed to evaluate because if it is your "own" how do I know what is allowed on your plan? I could judge based on MY plan...but it wouldn't be the same.

Zactly. And many of the same people make references to Induction or Phase 2, etc., which makes no sense to me because those are plan-specific terms. I respect the ability to cobble together something that works, but wonder why the person was unable to find a single LC plan that had already paved the way.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 18:00
7 yrs and counting!

Plan: Vegan/Crossfit
Stats: 285/212/199 Female 5'7
BF:33.4%
Progress: 85%

Maybe they just..like potatofree said...kinda took parts from more than one plan and made them work..isn't that what LCing is all about anyway..making a plan work with your life and your body? Maybe they just want some advice on how to make it a little better, or just want someone else's insight..sometimes an outside opinion can help us see that maybe something we're eating on a daily basis should be a weekly treat instead.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 18:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I got tired of being sniped at for listing Atkins as my plan when I wasn't DOING IT RIGHT. I got tired of having to explain and justify having more carbs, for instance, in the mornings... not to get away with eating off-plan, That's just a part of it, but I hope you can see where I'm going with it.

I do understand eating more than Induction Level Carbs. Or doing what works for you. And I understand that we're all different too. That's what great about these forums. We all share things that work for us and can learn from each other. BUT, If I was doing my own thing, and let's say I was eating Pasta, every other night, and I wasn't losing weight, then maybe I'd cut out the pasta, or whatever it is that is NOT on the Low Carb Menu? Does that make sense?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 19:39
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
That, and I got tired of being sniped at for listing Atkins as my plan when I wasn't DOING IT RIGHT.

When I see "My Own" under someone's plan, I often think that this is the reason. I've seen post after post where someone, pointing to Atkins in someone's profile, says "You aren't doing Atkins if you aren't...(fill in the blank)", whether it is following the OWL ladder exactly or cutting out caffeine or they are also counting calories or whatever.

I used to have "general low-carb" in my profile for that reason, I changed it back to Atkins OWL because that's what I do mostly, Atkins was the book I started with and the principles I started with. I don't follow the ladder exactly (or even at all, really, didn't do the 5 carb increments either, I actually don't even count my carbs really ) but on the whole I'm doing Atkins. If people don't like that I call what I do Atkins, that's too bad, I don't really care.

Val
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 19:54

Plan: between plans again
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieL
I used to have "general low-carb" in my profile for that reason, I changed it back to Atkins OWL because that's what I do mostly, Atkins was the book I started with and the principles I started with. I don't follow the ladder exactly (or even at all, really, didn't do the 5 carb increments either, I actually don't even count my carbs really ) but on the whole I'm doing Atkins. If people don't like that I call what I do Atkins, that's too bad, I don't really care.

Val

(Val, you must be doing something right! Look at you!! )
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 20:32
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by notskinny
Okay, first time post in the "War Zone", but I have seen so many people asking to have their menus checked, when they state that their "doing their own thing" diet. When they describe their menu it's basically a typical Atkins or South Beach menu. So many people think that Atkins is MEAT and EGGS only. Many have never gotten past the 2 week Induction. Then these same people complain about being "stalled". Do they not realize that after Induction, we start adding in more veggies, fruits, nuts, and EVEN potatoes?

People tend to do their "own" plan not because they think Atkins is bad, but to avoid the inevitable person who shows up and says they're doing the plan wrong.
Speaking personally I don't like committing to a plan; I like having freedom to make my own choices without being confined to some rules which are arbitrarily defined and may or may not work for me. I know enough about nutrition to not need it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 21:13
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by notskinny
I do understand eating more than Induction Level Carbs. Or doing what works for you. And I understand that we're all different too. That's what great about these forums. We all share things that work for us and can learn from each other. BUT, If I was doing my own thing, and let's say I was eating Pasta, every other night, and I wasn't losing weight, then maybe I'd cut out the pasta, or whatever it is that is NOT on the Low Carb Menu? Does that make sense?

You bet it does... so when they ask people to evaluate "their own thing" menu, it's the perfect opportunity to bring up that fact.

I personally feel a person needs to read, read, read, then you have a good base of knowledge to draw on when you need to change things later on down the road. Some people go by trial and error, and others just start by cutting out sugar and work their way down from there. If they get frustrated winging it, they might be ready to do some research and they might start that ball rolling by asking a few opinions.

Val, you're right. I shouldn't give a rat's rump if someone else thinks I'm doing Atkins, Half-Asskins, or FatAsskins. <shrug> It just got old hearing it. The finger-wagging and assumptions I hadn't even read the book when I could practically, at one point, quote DANDR chapter and verse... because I experimented with CAD, then started applying what I learned to my own situation. I realized that even though I didn't agree with everything the authors of CAD had to say, I did lose better if I cut out snacks, and I could still lose adding certain carbs to certain meals (like my breakfast) but then you get "Dr Atkins says...."

I've even read "Low Carb Dieting For Dummies" and *gasp* applied some of the Dr Phil system into my plan... and I'm finally getting going again after some hard times.

To each "Their Own" I guess.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-26-05, 22:50

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

I think we all make adjustments to what ever plan we start on to suit ourselves as we get more experience and knowledge of how low carb works for us (although I agree with Lisa and Potato its a bit silly to be doing this without doing some reading and research first).

I am yet to 'meet' anyone nominally following Atkins (for example) who follows it by the book - ie all four stages, adding carbs 5cg at a time, doing the (non negotiable) exercise!! etc, so in that case "My Own" is at least accurate!

But of course if you deviate from the path and get 'lost' ... it is pretty silly to blame the map!

Cheers,

Malcolm