Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 21:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%
Thumbs up amazing but true...

If anyone out there is skeptical about pork rind french toast, I admit I sure was too! But OMG these are sooo good. I honestly have to say these are up on my scale next to the cauliflower mashed potatoes. Give'em a try!!!!

bebe
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 08:24

Stats: 170/145/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%

OHMIGOSH!!!!!!! I JUST had this french toast for breakfast, and was it good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was getting a little burnt out on eggs and the occasional mock danish! I have found my new favorite breakfast! LOL!!!

lauri
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 13:51

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Default What about stuffing it?

I used to absolutely love Village Inn's stuffed french toast and now that another chain is advertising it again I have been craving it. Bad!

So tomorrow I am going to take the french toast recipe, cut each peice in half and add a cream cheese/splenda combo for the stuffing (almost like an eclair).

Stuffing variations:
I would think you could add any of the sf syrups (hazelnut etc.) to the cream cheese mix or maybe just some almond extract?? That is what I think I will add this time since it's what gives cream pie toppings their great flavor.

Topping variations:
This could be an endless subject. I have decided that I am going to do blueberries and sf maple syrup tomorrow. But I might try some chopped nuts and sf maple syrup too.

I'll be back tomorrow to let you know what I learn!!
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 13:06

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

The stuffed french toast was great!! Very rich. I can't wait to try variations.
  #95   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 16:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/134.8/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default WOW !!!

Well I had my doubts, but was looking for something new to try. WOW, they are SO GOOD! If I hadn't prepared them myself, I would have trouble believing they are low carb! Thanks so much for such a yummy treat!
  #96   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 10:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

M'kay, last week I omitted the spices and sweetener, and added parmesan cheese and oregano. I fried it up into one big flat pancake and budda-bing: a flatbread to wrap around my chicken souvlaki!! It was fantastic! I can't believe it's LC!

It was a little fragile, though, so I just wrapped the whole thing in foil like they do in restaurants.

Two thumbs up!!
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 12:21

Stats: 200/189/140
BF:
Progress: 18%

Tried this over the weekend...so filling and very tasty. Recipe made 2 "bread sized" pieces and I could only eat one!
Served mine with DaVinci's syrup.
Funny I used to eat 3-4 pieces of "french toast" !!!!!
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 11:30

Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

They are also very filling. I only had one silver dollar pancake sized serving (I cooked it in the "Perfect Pancake" pan I got for Christmas. Gotta love the relatives that do all their holiday shopping on infomercials ), but it was so filling I could barely finish it.

I can't wait to try a non-sweetened version for a pizza crust or something like that.

Has anyone tried to bake this mix instead of frying it? I was just curious since it tasted so much like cornbread to me, that it would be a great LC cornbread if it was thicker.

If I get adventurous I will give the baking a try and I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes if I do.

With all this cooking I've been doing lately I'll have to get me a chef's hat
  #99   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 19:04

Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

I just tried this as a pizza crust (just eggs, cream and rinds) and it was pretty good. I first cooked it pancake style. Then I put a a tablespoon of my "pizza sauce" (tomato paste, parmesian cheese, and garlic salt) and loaded it with cheese, canadian bacon, and pepperoni. It turned out pretty good. Not as good as a real pizza, but not bad for a LC alternative.

If the crust would get a crispier it would be almost perfect. I'll have to keep experimenting.

Last edited by dustoweb : Fri, Apr-11-03 at 10:16.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:50

Stats: 173/158/130
BF:
Progress: 35%
Thumbs up french toast topper.....

I made the french toast yesterday and my husband and I loved it. The sugar free splenda syrup is pretty good. Then I made a batch and added crumbled cooked pork sausage and that was even tastier. So today I'm so excited about french toast again, and not eggs, that I went one step further and made sausage gravy to put on top and just about died and went to heaven!

I just crumbled up two cooked sausage patties, added 2 tablespoons or so of cream and two teaspoons of splenda maple syrup and a little pepper and reduced it on the stove for a little while. It made enough for a batch of french toast and was so good. Since I just winged this the measurements are't exact.

Let me know if you like it!
  #101   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:36

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
M'kay, last week I omitted the spices and sweetener, and added parmesan cheese and oregano. I fried it up into one big flat pancake and budda-bing: a flatbread to wrap around my chicken souvlaki!! It was fantastic! I can't believe it's LC!

What a good idea!!
  #102   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 09:39

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%

I made this MOCK FRENCH TOAST this morning...very yummy!!!!! And, very satisfying. I didn't have any sryup..so i sprinkled some more cinnamon and splenda on top...
  #103   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 17:49

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

This was an amazing recipe! I was making meatballs to go with my spaghetti squash and had crushed up some pork rinds when this recipe crossed my mind. I just bought some sugar free Log Cabin syrup that has zero carbs (has malitol, sorbital and Splenda and tastes like the regular Log Cabin syrup!)...so I just made up a batch. Other than the texture being a slight bit different than French toast (I couldn't really put my finger on it...but had to be the texture), it was JUST like French Toast!!! I couldn't believe it.

Whoever came up with this one has a terrific imagination!

L
  #104   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 14:03

Stats: 229/229/180 Female 73"
BF:Mostly
Progress: 0%

Never in all my years did I think I'd be using pork rinds for any purpose. Made the Mock French Toast this morning, it was great!

Made it in dollar pancake size pieces, topped it with butter mixed with maple flavoring and Splenda. DH loved it also.

Who ever came up with this recipe, thank you!
  #105   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 17:57

Plan: ATkins
Stats: 170/159/140
BF:
Progress: 37%

Wow I just make this and it is wonderful. Thanks so much.

But I have a question. Is the 4.88 carbs for the whole recipe? I got two good size pieces out of the recipe, and 1 is plenty for me.

I know there are hidden carbs in most things but if the cream & pork rinds are carb free and the eggs are only .6 each where are the rest coming from. I did not use the sweeter because I can not stand the taste, I figured I would just let the syrup do that.

Ok make that two question. I guess I need to understand how to find these hidden carbs.

Thanks
Pam