Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-06, 12:49

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 198/137/120 Female 5'3
BF:25.2
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerchic
I'm wondering if that is what is starting to happen to me, MrsLBrown............

I do high intensity step aerobic for AT LEAST 63 minutes, five days a week, and I have not lost any additional weight, but then again I have not gained any either!

I may have to cut back though, because lately I have been feeling tired and afterwards my feet kill me !!

I just read that you should never do the same exercise routine two days in a row, you need to allow your body to heal. I work out an average of 25 hours a week every week. But then again I only work part time. I vary up my routine by incorporating yoga, pilates, weight training and different cardio classes everyday.

I balance my life by prioritising and making lists. I find that if I can keep a sked and routine the rest just falls into place.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-06, 17:59

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

i'd take that advice with a small grain of salt - afterall, hardworking people (farmers, longshoremen, manual labor types of jobs, firefighters) work everyday, hard, physical work - and don't have to rest every other day to heal.
disclaimers: YMMV, yes-beginners might be different, etc.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 20:51

Plan: Low Carb in general.
Stats: 160/144/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslbrown
Yes, I agree with everyone. I can tell you from recent experience, just a few weeks ago, for 2 weeks straight, I exercised 2 hours per day, 7 days a week, eating between 800-1200 calories and keeping carbs at around 20g, and you know how much weight I lost? 0 pounds. Yep, that's right, nothing. So, during the third week I completely cut down my exercising to just 30 minutes, added some strenght training, raised my calories and carbs, and I have lost 3 pounds this week. It is no where near as much as I was trying to lose each week, but it is plenty for the amount of exercise that I am now doing, and for my santity. I was really starting to lose it by day 14. So, I am a firm believer that too much of anything is a bad thing, including exercise. It's better to just try different exercises, times, trainings, etc, to find which is most effective for your body. Chances are, if your body needs time to recover, it will shut down and all that work will be pointless!

You have really got me wondering now if possibly I'm trying too hard. When I first started, I dropped 16 pounds (2 lbs a week) and was thrilled. Then all of a sudden...NOTHING. Can't seem to lose another ounce. I exercise about an hour a day; 6 days a week (power walking or step), I include weight training with my cardio, I make healthy low-carb food choices and graze (5-6 small meals a day), and the scale hasn't budged in over two weeks. I just can't lose this BELLY fat (below my belly button) which is my problem area. I'm so frustrated and just wondering if I'm too old to have flat abs. I don't expect to ever look 18 again, but I'd like to at least look nice in my clothes. Also, I never dreamed that maybe I was over doing it. Something to think about, I guess.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 14:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 183/000/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 345%

Most people following a low carb WOE hit a "stall" their 3rd and 4th weeks; no big deal, your body is just getting use to the sudden weight loss you just experienced. Sounds like you're doing a great work out routine; right now I'm striving for 6 hours of intense cardio a week; so far I'm up to 4. Weight training is key and remember you can't target just one area (ie: belly fat) Exercise usually takes 6 weeks to tell the full effect. Stick with it!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-06, 19:35

Plan: Low Carb in general.
Stats: 160/144/125 Female 63
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGal8
Most people following a low carb WOE hit a "stall" their 3rd and 4th weeks; no big deal, your body is just getting use to the sudden weight loss you just experienced. Sounds like you're doing a great work out routine; right now I'm striving for 6 hours of intense cardio a week; so far I'm up to 4. Weight training is key and remember you can't target just one area (ie: belly fat) Exercise usually takes 6 weeks to tell the full effect. Stick with it!

Thanks for the pep talk; that really helps. Yes, I did know I can't target one area (belly), but it seems like the 16 pounds came off of everything except my stomach. So I'm trying to increase my crunches while keeping up with my cardio. I have a tailbone injury, so crunches on the floor are really difficult for me. So I ordered one of those exercise balls and thought maybe I could do the crunches on there without hurting my injured butt! Hope that works. I'll just keep on keeping on. Thanks again for the encouragement.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 02:07
Registered Member

Plan: custom low carb
Stats: 200/198/175 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default 500 calories

i am doing gym 6 times a week
35-37 min treadmill walking/running = 300 calories
10-20 min cycle = 100
stepper 10 min = 100
little weight training maybe 15 -20 min
total burn 500 calories per day (excluding weight training)
5-10 min sauna( feels great)
my diet is less than 2000 calories (197 pounds, 5 feet 11" age 30)
am i doing a lot or too little
goal is to lose 20 pounds
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-04-06, 20:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I am training for an Avon Breast Cancer walk in July which will be 26 miles one day and 13 miles the second day. I walk 1-3 hours, 5 days out of the week. One of the days, I walk 13 miles. I use a GPS and track my mph. I average 3.8 mph on flat land and 3.2 mph on hills. This is not intense working out (well, except for the hills.) I also do 1 hour of weight training 3 days per week.

Before this routine, I was working out harder and more intensly with high cardio (not high impact) sculpting classes.

I have dropped more weight recently with the less rigerous training than ever before. I had been in a 5 month stall prior to that.

Some say it could be the change in routine. They say you should do something different every 3 weeks.

My question is does anyone up their carbs when working out for 2-3 hours per day? So far, I feel great. No need to mess with it since it is working.

In any event, try something different with less intensity. Can't hurt.

Karen
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jun-06-06, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%

After seeing all the success lots of women that go to "Curves" are having with just 30 mins. 3 times/week, with all due respect I think it's crazy to exercise 3 hours and also unnatural and impractical for most. I can't join "Curves" now but I bought their book and I think I can modifiy the resistance workout (with dumbells) that I do at home to be similar to theirs, so I suggest to those that want to workout *smarter-not-harder* to look into this one.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 23:21
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

My trainer told me I was overtraining and to
1) Stay away from the gym for a whole week. I was allowed to do some walking and no more.
2) Cut back on the amount of time I was exercising.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-11-06, 23:23
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquel
After seeing all the success lots of women that go to "Curves" are having with just 30 mins. 3 times/week, with all due respect I think it's crazy to exercise 3 hours and also unnatural and impractical for most. I can't join "Curves" now but I bought their book and I think I can modifiy the resistance workout (with dumbells) that I do at home to be similar to theirs, so I suggest to those that want to workout *smarter-not-harder* to look into this one.

Curves was great - for about 8 months. After that I got bored out of my mind. I quit and went to 24 Hour Fitness and the change in routine got my weight loss moving again.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 22:06
Registered Member

BF:

Now that you mention it, the lack of variety could get boring long term for some of us. Since I've exercised at home for years now, I keep a variety of videos and have also used a couple of machines. But the point I was really trying to make is that there is no need to workout 3 hrs/day; in fact, that can be counterproductive. I read an article in a site about thyroid problems I used to visit that said working out more than half an hour at a time (especially aerobically) reduces thyroid hormone output, pretty ironical because that is actually slowing down the metabolism, the exact opposite of what we need!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 22:08
Registered Member

BF:

Now that you mention it, the lack of variety could get boring long term for some of us. Since I've exercised at home for years now, I keep a variety of videos and have also used a couple of machines. But the point I was really trying to make is that there is no need to exercise 3 hrs/day; in fact, that can be counterproductive. I read an article in a site about thyroid problems I used to visit that said working out more than half an hour at a time (especially aerobically) reduces thyroid hormone output, pretty ironical because that is actually slowing down the metabolism, the exact opposite of what we need!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-06, 22:58
Registered Member

BF:

I was doing 30 minutes of weights and an hour of cardio. My trainer said to cut back to cardio to 30. I've compromised - I do 30 minutes of weights, 30 minutes of intense cardio, then get on the treadmill and just walk for 20 minutes.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-06, 02:54

Plan: TKD/CKD
Stats: 247/180/180 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapestry
I am training for an Avon Breast Cancer walk in July which will be 26 miles one day and 13 miles the second day. I walk 1-3 hours, 5 days out of the week. One of the days, I walk 13 miles. I use a GPS and track my mph. I average 3.8 mph on flat land and 3.2 mph on hills. This is not intense working out (well, except for the hills.) I also do 1 hour of weight training 3 days per week.

Before this routine, I was working out harder and more intensly with high cardio (not high impact) sculpting classes.

I have dropped more weight recently with the less rigerous training than ever before. I had been in a 5 month stall prior to that.

Some say it could be the change in routine. They say you should do something different every 3 weeks.

My question is does anyone up their carbs when working out for 2-3 hours per day? So far, I feel great. No need to mess with it since it is working.

In any event, try something different with less intensity. Can't hurt.

Karen

you dont need to up your carbs because you are low-intensity. The higher intensity, the more your body can use carbs. So basically you could walk forever without increasing carbs, try running that same time though you'll be so fatigued.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-30-06, 06:23

Plan: 40-40-20
Stats: 118/112/105 Female 5'3''
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
I was doing 30 minutes of weights and an hour of cardio. My trainer said to cut back to cardio to 30. I've compromised - I do 30 minutes of weights, 30 minutes of intense cardio, then get on the treadmill and just walk for 20 minutes.

oh really, he says it was too much?
because that's what I'm doing, 6 days a week. (1hour cardio - 30min weight lifting)

do you guys think it's too much?