Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#91   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-05, 12:43
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
That's interesting to hear about the tiredness...because that's the way I feel every evening when I take vit D because I won't take it after 4:00. I've noticed I really sleep deeply when I take it.

Sleep with vitamin D is wonderful!!! Nice and deep and restful!!!

Amazing to me is the wide range of doses required for different people. There's three women, a 20 something Latina, a 50 year old Black (me) and 62 year old white and we're all needing to take 10-14k UI/day while some report headaches if they get over 2k. It makes me wonder if it's the fillers or oils that are keeping people at the lower doses, or perhaps the timing of the doses. I know location and outdoor exposure plays a big part in D's needs too. We're all workbound but one's in the Northwest US, ones in Southern Virginia and I'm in DC. Me and the one in VA are certainly not that far north. I think it really has to do with the depths and longevity of D deficiency too.

This stuff is just so fascinating to me!!!

I almost want to prostelitize. What, ALMOST, I DO IT!!! I almost spoke to a pregnant woman yesterday about D. And on my neighborhood bus everytime someone mentions a related sickness...I put in a plug for vitamin D!!!

I'm sure I can be so annoying about vitamin D sometimes. At least my daughter sighs, or asks who started me off. But...she takes her D, lol!!!
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 10:35
Finding the Pieces

BF:

I just posted this in Triple Digits

Vitamin D – Implications in Obesity

I had an epiphany last night. Suddenly something clicked.

Vitamin D is stored in fat.
Obese individuals require 2-3 times the vitamin D supplementation of normal weight individuals because some amount of vitamin D is stored in fat and, therefore, is not bio-available.

Vitamin D controls insulin…insulin causes hunger/cravings and stores fat…fat captures vitamin D and makes it not available for the body to use…

Resulting in less vitamin D which means less insulin control …higher insulin causes more hunger/cravings and stores more fat…fat captures vitamin D and makes it not available for the body to use…

Resulting in even less vitamin D which means even less insulin control …even higher insulin causes even more hunger/cravings and stores even more fat…fat captures vitamin D and makes it not available for the body to use…

And on and on and on.

Another thought.

Initial weight gain leads to more clothes covering the body and less time spent outdoors in the sun, and when you are out less skin is exposed to the sun for vitamin D production which leads to vitamin D deficiency which starts the above cycle.

Now I know some of you are saying here she goes again. She’s obsessed with vitamin D. Well, you are correct!!! I am obsessed, lol!!! It’s such a simple, logical, and, to me, completely understandable connection of how our bodies work that I’m totally awed!!! And angry at the part of the medical industry that just doesn’t get it. Or maybe want to because natural vitamin D is cheap and unpatentable and entire medical industries, i.e., cancer and immune disease, would disappear if everyone were routinely tested and supplemented to optimum D levels.

Now I know some of you are going to say, “but D is toxic in high levels and no one should take more than 800-2,000 IU/Day. To that I say bumpkus!!!! That’s just websites perpetuating the big lie!!

--Natural vitamin D is named D3, manmade vitamin D is named D2. Always use natural vitamin D made from fish oil.
--Natural vitamin D has been tested at 20,000 IU/day over a 5 year period and found non toxic at that level.
--No incident of natural vitamin D toxicity has resulted in death.
--Cases of proven vitamin D toxicity have been the result of industrial accidents or accidental megadoses in excess of 1 Million IU/day over a prolonged period.
-- Hypercalcemia has been pointed to as an indication of vitamin D toxicity; however, hypercalcemia is also, and more often, a symptom of vitamin D deficiency.
--A 2 year old was given 4 Million IUs of vitamin D over a 5 day period resulting in diarrhea, stomach ache, and hypercalcemia. He was treated for the hypercalcemia over a period of 3 months and fully recovered with no negative results.
--Vitamin D toxicity arises at a blood level of >250 ng/ml.

Other vitamin D information.
Vitamin D is not really a vitamin; rather it is a powerful steroid and a super hormone that tells your body how to work. Its deficiency has been implicated in over 70 illnesses and diseases. Vitamin D has been proven to prevent or remit 28 kinds of cancers.

--Vitamin D levels can be easily tested with a 25-hydroxy-vitamin D or 25(OH)D test (same test, different names).
--Ignore the lab ranges for normal on this test as the norms were established using a D deficient population.
--Any reading below 60 ng/ml is deficient.
--Readings of 75-125 ng/ml are optimal.
--Individuals in the tropics naturally have vitamin D levels ranging from the mid 100s-200 ng/ml.
--Suggested vitamin D use by the body has been put at 4,000 IU/day.
--Proven vitamin D use by the body has been shown at 7,000 IU/day.
--Use of sunscreen/block of even SPF=8 cuts 95% of vitamin D production.
--Vitamin D cannot be produced by sun shining through glass.
-- People with dark skin pigmentation need 20 - 30 times as much exposure to sunlight as fair-skinned people to generate the same amount of vitamin D.
-- The further you live from the equator, the longer exposure you need to the sun in order to generate vitamin D. Canada, the UK and most U.S. states are far from the equator.
--There is no possible vitamin D production from the sun during winter for those living above 51 degrees latitude north or south of the equator.
--Clouds, aerosols and thick ozone events reduce the duration of vitamin D synthesis considerably, and can suppress Vitamin D synthesis completely even at the equator.
--Sufficient levels of vitamin D are crucial for calcium absorption. Without sufficient vitamin D, the body cannot absorb calcium, rendering calcium supplements useless.
--If it hurts to press firmly on your sternum, you may be suffering from chronic vitamin D deficiency right now.
--Chronic vitamin D deficiency cannot be reversed overnight: it takes months of high dose vitamin D supplementation and sunlight exposure to rebuild the body's bones and nervous system.
--Having kidney disease or liver damage can greatly impair your body's ability to activate circulating vitamin D.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Sat, Dec-10-05 at 10:42.
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 11:58

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It does seem reasonable that the more fat you have, the more fat-soluble vitamins you would need. I am taking only 2000 IU/day of the vitamin D (I took 400 in the past) and I seem to be taking the shorter days better (psychologically) than in previous years.
  #94   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-05, 20:08

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

I seem to be managing well around 2800 IUs right now. I will probably increase some as winter deepens.
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 20:12

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Zuleikaa,

I just ran across your thread and don't have time to read it all, but I did fast scan the first page. All I can say is WOW!!!

I put up a thread on Vitamin D deficiency at http://ppwol.suddenlaunch3.com/inde...&num=1132423057
And now will have to back and edit to point your thread here.

More when I have some time,
Larry
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 09:03

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Well, I'm still having the same problem I did last year; if I try to bump it too much I get really irritable.

So I'm having to keep it at 1800 a day.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 09:07
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Well, I'm still having the same problem I did last year; if I try to bump it too much I get really irritable.

So I'm having to keep it at 1800 a day.
Have you tried taking it in uneven doses? Are you taking the dry form? A lot of people have a reaction to the oil gels. What's your timing?

1800 sounds way too little.

Oh well, every body is different.
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 09:15
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Please use caution and be well informed with your Vitamin D experiment!!

HN
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 09:33

Plan: My Own Mix
Stats: 185/185/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm reading...I'm liking...I'm up for trying.

South Florida gal here with SAD, Scandinavian (100% Finnish). I think I'd go mad if I was living in Finland and in the dark 1/2 the year!

From what I'm gathering - please correct if I've it wrong:
I should start at 2000 IU D3 in dry form, 1200mg calcium, and 600-800 mg magnesium.

Work up by 1000 IU D3 biweekly.

Split the doses of D3: less in am, more in afternoon, but not after 3pm.
I'd like a feel-good winter for a change (I know you're thinking, "She's in south FL!!"); for the last 10 years (after having children) my SAD has increased each winter.

Thanks for all the information; will be keeping in touch.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 09:41

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Have just come across this interesting article and thought it might be an idea to post it here - apologies if someone has already done so.

How Vitamin D Protects Your Heart
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 13:52

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Hi, Zuleikaa.

yes, I've tried taking it every which way I can. I've always taken only the dry form. When I get too high I start sweating profusely, feel like my heart is coming out of my chest and get very irritable. It's like a major upper.
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 14:56
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Hi, Zuleikaa.

yes, I've tried taking it every which way I can. I've always taken only the dry form. When I get too high I start sweating profusely, feel like my heart is coming out of my chest and get very irritable. It's like a major upper.
Are you on thyroid meds?

As D levels improve, medical situations need to be monitored and meds adjusted because as D corrects symptoms and body chemistry...an individual can become over medicated.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Tue, Dec-13-05 at 15:08.
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 15:05
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by finngal
I'm reading...I'm liking...I'm up for trying.

South Florida gal here with SAD, Scandinavian (100% Finnish). I think I'd go mad if I was living in Finland and in the dark 1/2 the year!

From what I'm gathering - please correct if I've it wrong:
I should start at 2000 IU D3 in dry form, 1200mg calcium, and 600-800 mg magnesium.

Work up by 1000 IU D3 biweekly.

Split the doses of D3: less in am, more in afternoon, but not after 3pm.
I'd like a feel-good winter for a change (I know you're thinking, "She's in south FL!!"); for the last 10 years (after having children) my SAD has increased each winter.

Thanks for all the information; will be keeping in touch.
Finngal
More in the am, less in afternoon. The starting dose looks good. Increase gradually and only as need to feel "normal" and mentally balanced. You might want to start the calcium at 1800 mg and 1400 mg magnesium, later it can be lowered to the range you mentioned as your bones become repaired.
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 15:09
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Hi, Zuleikaa.

Then I would stay at the level you so well on and monitor any medical conditions you have for meds adjustment.
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 15:13
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
Have just come across this interesting article and thought it might be an idea to post it here - apologies if someone has already done so.

How Vitamin D Protects Your Heart
Thanks!!! Any additions are appreciated.
Closed Thread