Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 21:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184.8/164.1/149.6 Female 165 cm  5' 4"
BF:>30%/19%/12%
Progress: 59%

Thanks black57, they are already beginning to get back to some kind of regularity - I had at least 2-3 weeks between the last ones, which was a lot better than than the 2-3 days I was having!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-05, 22:27

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Good to hear that. When I was about 16 years old, my periods were crazy like that for a few months. I was a mess and had to go home regularly to change my clothes. The doc gave me some pills that I think were vitamins and he made up some illness that I had never heard before. The periods began to improve. After all these years I finally think that I know what was wrong. I was not a low carb dieter, I was a skinny kid who ate a protein and fat rich diet. I didn't like bread or rice or even desserts. I had a naturally low carb diet that enhanced my periods.

Usul001, glad to hear things are improving. Take care!

Black57
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-20-05, 09:23

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default My Own Experience

Hi Usul,

When I was off thyroid meds for a few years my period got really screwed up. I had one at least every two weeks, I felt like the woman in the Bible who had a continual issue who touched the hem of Jesus to get healed, all I wanted was for it to stop…

Anyway as soon as I took Armour that changed and the periods got back to normal. The T3 is VERY important. Please try to find the right doc excessive periods are not healthy.

Also everyone is different in how they absorb T3, I think you should maybe experiment with your diet a bit and see if it works. Atkins didn’t work for me the second time around and I have had to change things.

About six years ago I lost almost 90 pounds on PP/Atkins. I had a doc at the time that believe in both LC and meds for borderline low thyroid function. I felt good, but since I was nursing at the time my periods were really unpredictable. I did not think anything of it until I stopped nursing and went back to work. Since my new job had new insurance I got a doc who took me off thyroid…it was terrible, I gained 60 pounds back and my periods were nuts, long, heavy and often…I was the women with the “Issue” again.

Finally changed insurances and went back to my old doc who was so angry with the idiot doc who took me off the meds, and immediately put me back on my LC regiment and meds. The periods normalized finally.

However, the weight came off me at a snail’s pace. Almost a year went by and I lost a total of only 10 pounds. I was soooo frustrated I gave up and ate like I wanted to for a few months, gained back the 10 pounds, felt like crap and then finally decided it was time to get serious.

I designed my own LC program. I had read so much I knew grains were effecting me but what I did NOT know until recently was that T3 MUST have some carbs to be processed so I did the unthinkable, I added carbs back to my diet in the form of 3 fruits a day. I eat the fruit with a glass of fiber water at the beginning of the meal. Each meal looks like this:
1 piece of whole raw low GI fruit, glass of water with 2 tsp flaxseed fiber
1 cup of veggies (even in the morning I eat them!)
5-8 oz meat of my choice
2-4 tbsp good oil (no more than 20% percent sat. fat daily, no trans AT all)

I eat no grains at ALL, that means NO low carb flour substitutes (gluten is not good for me) and very little dairy, even good diary. I eliminated it for now because SO much of it has additives that effects my thyroid function. I am going to add it back later a little at a time but only organic cheese and homemade yogurt when I do, for now though I am eliminating anything that might effect absorptions.
Anyway Usul I would not only suggest a new doc but experimenting with your diet a little. Are you eating too many low carb products with wheat gluten that could be effecting your absorption? or maybe not eating enough carbs so that your thyroid gland does not have enough energy to produce even a little T3?

Kellie