Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 13:15

Plan: My plan
Stats: 212/190/180 Female 62"
BF:go/n/down
Progress: 69%
Question Home-Made LC Chocolate

Hi Everyone!

I read a lc chocolate recipe in here last week that is made with cocoa, coconut oil, splenda, vanilla, & salt. sounds good!

Has anyone tryed this recipe? Is it good? Would you make it again?
Does the choclate melt if it isn't in the frig?
Are there any tips I should know about before making this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 14:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/183/130 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 23%

I've made it many times in the last two weeks! It's a little too good, if you know what I mean.Very much like a lovely dark chocolate bar. I keep mine in the freezer. I also add almonds. I think it would get soft if you didn't refridgerate it. I don't have any tips for making it, it's very easy. I just melt the coconut oil in the microwave then stir in the other ingredients. I put waxed paper in the bottom of a small cake pan and pour it in. Then I stick it in the freezer. It hardens very quickly.I break it into chunks and put it into a plastic bag in the freezer.I thought it might be nice to pour it into candy moulds but decided not to spend the money ( I don't have the moulds) when I like it as is.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 14:57

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I'm probably the one who posted the receipt you saw. I love it, my husband loves it, and so far everyone I've fed it to loves it. It is now a staple item in my fridge.

I have a nice selection of Russel Stovers low carb chocolate languishing in my cupboard because since I started making coconut candy we haven't touched it. Now I only eat it when we're traveling.

I do recommend keeping it in the fridge. Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees. Refridgeration gives it a more solid chocolate like feel in your teeth.

I favor the candy molds because I've figured out what a portion size is (by weight). 4 hearts or 2 flowers. But they're certainly not necessary.

Do portion control at some level. It is pure fat and the calories do add right up.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 15:44

Plan: My plan
Stats: 212/190/180 Female 62"
BF:go/n/down
Progress: 69%

Thanks Dahlia & Spit!
I will have to try this.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-05, 22:48

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Bat Spit is the best- she posted the recipe for this recently and now I am addicted to the stuff! Everyone in my house loves it. I just made some tonight and need to tie myself to this chair to prevent me from running to the fridge to get more of it! So far, I've been able to keep things under control and it hasn't slowed down my weight loss, though!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 03:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179/158/148 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 68%

what is recpe? where do i find it?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 05:51

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

#8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 06:11

BF:

thanks, i might make them and put them in icecube trays - then they will look like real candy...il avoid maing with nuts though - less cals///
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 06:59

Stats: 248/243/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Annasophia, I use icecube trays myself...it's very handy.

I don't really care for dark chocolate, but the bark is FABOO. It really helps with cravings and it totally works as a quick snack.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 07:23

BF:

Quote:
Bat Spit is the best- she posted the recipe for this recently and now I am addicted to the stuff!

Awww! Thanks. But you all need to know I take no credit for the idea. I saw it in Mosey's journal, adjusted the ingredients to suit me, and think it is so wonderful, and such a better option than low carb chocolate full of SAs and unpronouncible chemicals that I'm making sure everyone has the opportunity to hear about it.

Coconut bark

1 cup melted coconut oil
4-6T cocopowder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla OR 1/4 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp other extract like cherry or orange 2-3 packets of splenda to taste

Start there and mess around. I use a regular eating tablespoon and just use 2 really heaping spoons full. And I measure the salt by eye in my palm, but those measurements should be close. I like mine with less sweetener, my DH likes more. I pour them in molds I got at my local craft store and run them through the fridge. You can't let them set at room temperature, all the additions precipitate out of the oil. I keep the finished candies in the fridge, coconut oil melts at 76 degrees.

I've tried making other flavors than chocolate. You need some kind of particulate for the splenda and extracts to cling to. I've had decent results with almond butter and maple extract.

Enjoy!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 07:57

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

I have a sweet tooth and don't like the flavor of bittersweet chocolate, so I make mine with a lot more sweetener than Bat Spit. (I actually never liked chocolate much at all until I started to LC, and found myself craving something sweet that I could get low carb. They don't make my favorite treat, rock candy, in a LC version!)

I use 1/2 C.CO, 2 heaping tbls cocoa powder. 1 t. vanilla, 8 (at least) packets of splenda and a sprinkle of salt. I also usually put about 10 drops of Canadian Sugar Twin in because I read somewhere that blending different types of sweeteners produces a synergistic effect and gives you something that tastes more like regular sugar. I think the advantage of Batspit's recipe, though, is it probably has a more intense chocolate flavor, so any chocolate cravings would be satisfied more quickly and you wouldn't need to eat so many candies to get your chocolate "fix", thus saving some calories!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 08:33

BF:

just made it - i can really tast the oil...is that normal....tastes very coconutty too
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 08:35

Stats: 347/280/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 46%

This is agreat recipe, but the problem I have is consistancy. The sweetener and sugar seem to just fall towards the bottum, or at least in clusters. Any suggestions on this?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 10:58

Stats: 248/243/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 7%

I've found that if I've had to heat the oil because my apartment is cold enough for it to be a solid, then the stuff doesn't mix as well. If my apartment is warm enough for the oil to be liquid already and I don't have to heat it, then the splenda, etc. mixes in much easier and doesn't settle out once I put it in my icecube tray and into the freezer.

I've also used my food processor to mix it and have sifted the cocoa so it's not lumpy.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-03-05, 13:54

BF:

Quote:
I actually never liked chocolate much at all until I started to LC

ddaniels, if you don't care for the chocolate itself, try experimenting with nut butter and other extracts. I liked the maple almond butter ones I made, and peanut butter might go well with something like cherry or strawberry. You might not need it so sweet if you liked the basic flavors better.

annasophia yes, it's normal to have a definite coconut taste. I have finally trained my tastebuds to like fat, so the rich oilyness is satisfying for me.

ManonMoon it is the nature of things to want to settle out of oil. Oil is very cliquish and doesn't make friends easily.

witchiejen my house is NEVER warm enough for the oil to start out liquid.

Here's my method, maybe it will help you 2.

I scoop the cold oil into my pyrex measuring cup. When I have what I think will be the right volume, I put it in the microwave for 30 sec. to a minute, until it is completely liquid. Then I add the other ingredients and stir quite a lot until I'm sure its completely mixed. Put it in the molds and stick it in the fridge.

One of the reasons I like the candy molds is that they're fairly shallow, so even if the ingredients do settle out a little, they haven't gone too far and it's still all good once you've crunched it up. If you're using ice cube trays, you might try only filling them half way or something.

When it's time for the second batch to go in the tray, I make sure the oil is still completely liquid, if it isn't, I zap it again. Either way, you need to really stir it up again before filling the molds a second time.

I haven't ever tried using liquid sweetener, but I have a feeling it wouldn't work as well. The one time I tried to make candies without chocolate or nut butter, I got little bubbles of extract and the sweetener settled to the bottom much faster. On a temporary basis, the fat glues the chocolate and sweetener particles together, and the extract also clings to the chocolate. Because I don't tolerate artificial sweeteners well, I've been experimenting using 1/2 natural sugar like dyhydrated cane juice or honey, and 1/2 splenda. The honey would NOT mix with the oil. It fell out and made glue in the bottom very, very quickly. I would expect flavored syrups to do the same thing, but it's probably worth a try.