Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 11:55

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

The week end is coming up and I am fearful of loosing my mind in the kitchen. Its raining all week end here in NYC which means Ill be stuck indoors. This means that Ill be bored and want to eat more than ususal. I think I'll be heading to GNC today after work to buy some Hoodia because I seriously will not have control of my appetite. The more I think about my cravings, the harder it is to resist them.

Last night I had extra calories (coming from chicken and turkey), and this morning, according to the scales..I gained two pounds?! Needless to say, I was a little disappointed. I have been trying to cut my calories even more than where they are now, but it is proving to be a difficult feat. Im unsatisfied with my weight loss progress and need to get things going again. Im trying to get down to about 450-500 calories a day but the amount of food that comes out is scary--maybe a 3 egg white omlette w. a piece of ff cheese, and 2 small chicken breasts. How do I pull this one off?! Any suggestions, please let me know.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 11:58

Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I had a nice little surprise today!!! I'm down to 273!! -27lbs thanks to Lyle and his crazy diet!! A 3lb whoosh post travel, thank you very much I'm now only 3lbs away from my Atkins low and lbs away from true VT!! How cool is that

Truffle, I don't know how you do it with the canned chicken... blech I'd starve if I couldn't have my low fat mayo in tuna for lunch. Although I bet that chicken would be yummy with some low fat mayo. I use 1 tbsp, it's still dry, but better than nothing LOL!

Woohoo Nancy!! Nice to see those pounds leaving I hear ya on the measuring. I've lost 2 inches on my waist and 1 on my hips (I really need that reversed )

Hey Val - looks like you're still on your break... nice to see pounds leaving on break! That chili recipe made my mouth water this am. I gotta get more creative in the kitchen

Where's PG??
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 12:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
Last night I had extra calories (coming from chicken and turkey), and this morning, according to the scales..I gained two pounds?! Needless to say, I was a little disappointed. I have been trying to cut my calories even more than where they are now, but it is proving to be a difficult feat. Im unsatisfied with my weight loss progress and need to get things going again. Im trying to get down to about 450-500 calories a day but the amount of food that comes out is scary--maybe a 3 egg white omlette w. a piece of ff cheese, and 2 small chicken breasts. How do I pull this one off?! Any suggestions, please let me know.

You know, trying to get your calories down that low might also be causing the cravings. Make yourself some lemon curd, have it on cottage cheese when you get a craving. Its about 10 calories per tablespoon. Its an amazing treat and I bet your cravings will go away.

This week I haven't been obsessing over the calories, even allowed myself a bit of goat cheese and a few fiber crackers and the week has been a breeze and the weight loss was really nice. Sometimes I think we're unnecessarily harsh on ourselves.

As far as boredom... if I were you I'd go looking for closets or drawers that need organizing or cleaning! Work on sewing project, experiment with new PSMF recipes, clean the garage, reorganize my pantry (again!). Make some extra shelves for my cupboards.

Cindy, congratulations! At the rate you're going you'll will be there in no time!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Sep-16-05 at 12:25.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCookys
The week end is coming up and I am fearful of loosing my mind in the kitchen. Its raining all week end here in NYC which means Ill be stuck indoors. This means that Ill be bored and want to eat more than ususal. I think I'll be heading to GNC today after work to buy some Hoodia because I seriously will not have control of my appetite. The more I think about my cravings, the harder it is to resist them.

KCooky's unless you ate 2lbs of chicken and turkey, I doubt that's what caused the increase. Is is close to tom for you? Did you not have enough water yesterday? There's a million reasons beside eating a bit to much protein that could cause a blip.

Did you use the worksheet in psmf to find out how much protein you need? That's how you want to figure out how many calories you need. And those calories are protein ONLY. Not to include your veggies or other add ons. Are you using fitday to track?

Here's what it looks like for your suggested menu above:

Total: 444
Fat: 8 73 17%
Carbs: 4 14 3%
Fiber: 0 0 0%
Protein: 84 334 79%

That's with 3 egg whites, 1 slice non fat cheese and 8 oz of cooked chicken breast. Is 84 grams of protein enough for you?

Here's what my fitday looks like pre-veggies and add ons:

Total: 658
Fat: 9 80 13%
Carbs: 8 32 5%
Fiber: 0 0 0%
Protein: 126 503 82%

A lot more protein and only a little more than 200 calories. It's worth it to make sure you get enough protein in. I use NF cottage cheese, tuna and chicken to get to this level.

To get more food in, I highly recommend eating veggies and maybe some nf cottage cheese.

Definately try the hoodia. It may help tremendously with the hunger. You're a lot leaner than I am, so it makes sense hunger would be more of an issue for you. I don't think it's a great idea to limit calories to under 500 a day no matter what diet your following.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 15:52

Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

According to Lyle and my numbers, I only need about 88.8 grams of protein, which calculates to about 450-500 calories a day (derived from protein). And Im not lean....about 1/3 of my body weight is actually fat. Im a smaller fatty, which trust me, is very fustrating. I weigh 180 with 39% body fat and about 71 pounds of fat (leaving only 110 of lean muscle mass). Actually, the calories for 88.8 grams of protein is 355-400. I was actually being generous in saying I wanted to keep my caloric intake at around 500cals. ARRGHHHH! And if I allow myself a free meal, it tends to totally set me back a week bc I end up trying to get back to what i weighed verus loosing any additional weight.
I just bought the Hoodia so hopefully it'll keep me in check this week end.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 16:35

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

FYI, from Dana Carpender, a new book that also considers calories (sort of) apparently..perhaps someone over there might take a look and see if it is of interest:

"Now that my new book is listed on Amazon.com, some people have expressed
alarm at the title: The Every Calorie Counts Cookbook. People want to
know why, and if I've decided low carb is dead. So it's time to explain
this book to you all:

I do not believe that low carb is dead; surveys show that as many people
are eating low carb now as were eating low carb a year ago. But the two
major book chains, Borders and Barnes & Noble, have stated that they
will not, for the foreseeable future, be stocking *any* new cookbooks
with the words "low carb" on the front cover. It does no one any good
for me to write books that can't get into the stores.

At the same time, carb controlled diets have expanded past Atkins,
Protein Power, CAD, and South Beach (which of course likes to claim it's
not low carb, but about "good carbs".) We now have everything from
people doing Induction, to people who are simply adding more protein and
healthy fat, while cutting out sugar, white flour, and other highly
processed carbs -- with a big range of carb control in between. Over
and over I have talked to people who "aren't doing low carb" -- but now
eat eggs for breakfast instead of a muffin, and meat and vegetables for
supper instead of pasta. (Do you know *anyone* who builds a dinner
party around nothing but pasta anymore?)

All along I have heard from a lot of people who have to watch their
calorie intake as well as their carbs; before Borders and B&N put the
nix on specifically low carb cookbooks my editor and I were talking
about a "low carb/low cal" cookbook.

In the introduction of Every Calorie Counts I talk about the two
competing diet theories, low carb and low cal, and that low calorie
theory fails to take into account the facts that what kind of foods we
eat influence how many calories we burn, and that eating more protein
and fat and less carbohydrate has been demonstrated to reduce appetite,
too -- it's hard to keep calories under control when you're ravenous.

On the other hand, I point out, some low carbers have gotten the idea
that so long as they keep their carb count very low they can eat
unlimited calories. I know of no studies that show this is so, only that
the increase in metabolism and reduction in appetite means we can eat
enough calories to be *comfortable*. (Most clinical studies show that
low carbers lose weight at between 1800-2200 calories per day.)

In the introduction I am *very* clear that *I* remain a low carber, and
intend to be so for life, and that folks who have thrived on low carb
should continue with it. Further, when talking about "good carbs" I am
very clear that vegetables are the best of the "good carbs" and whole
grains, no matter how highly touted currently, are the least beneficial
of the acceptable carbs, completely inessential in the human diet, and
apt to cause bad reactions in many.

That being said, there are some grains in the book -- generally diluted
with a *pile* of low carb ingredients. For instance, a 1/2 cup of cooked
wild rice combined with a whole batch of cauli-rice. And those recipes
will include a note that you can get great results leaving out the wild
rice entirely.

There will also be options -- for instance, "low carb tortilla OR whole
wheat tortilla." (I'll take the low carb tortilla every time.)

There are more fruits in this book, and a wider variety of fruits.

There are many, many recipes that are totally appropriate for a true low
carb diet -- lots of meat, poultry, fish, eggs, low carb vegetables,
cheese. And I will talk about how to determine just how low carb you
personally need to be.

There are few low carb specialty products -- I learned my lesson when I
put a bunch of recipes using Ketatoes in 500 More, only to have the Keto
company fold.There will, of course, be no sugar, white flour,
hydrogenated oil, or other egregious junk.

The title refers to the fact that every recipe in the book is NUTRITIOUS
-- no empty calories (nor empty carbs.) Every food in it will serve
health. Every recipe will have not only a calorie, protein, carb,
fiber, and usable carb count, but also a nutritional profile -- a list
of the vitamins and minerals it supplies.

I hope the book will serve a broader community -- true low carbers,
along with those who have simply realized that bagels for breakfast, a
sandwich for lunch, and pasta for dinner is *not* a healthy diet.

So that's the deal. All I can ask is that when Every Calorie Counts
hits the bookstores, you pick up a copy, flip through it, and see if you
think the food sounds both tasty, and appropriate for your own personal
way of eating."
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 18:59
Registered Member

Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Just a few things:

-Nancy: It might be water retention, though I'm beginning to have a feeling it might also be...uhhh...food retention. I'll see what happens after another day then maybe take some action on that front.

-If you like to track all your calories, don't forget to add in 54 calories for the fish oil.

-Cindy: I think the biggest thing keeping me on the chicken now is the new brand I found. It's actually not dry, and is salted enough to where it's kinda seasoned. I think it also does a lot to keep my appetite down...if I begin to feel hungry, I think about the chicken and suddenly I feel like I can go a while longer...

-Kcookys: I believe I saw you mention on the Body Recomp forums that you had some EC stack pills? Those should help reduce your feelings of hunger as well, and are recommended by Lyle.
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 20:55
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
be...uhhh...food retention

LOL! Love the delicate way you put that. You might try a nice big dose of magnesium. Good for your bones, good for the lower part of the chowder chute too. Also I don't think psyllium husk would add any calories to your load. But you might already have your own repetorie of remedies for that particular problem.

Val! That's great about the new cookbook! I've bought a few of her other cookbooks. I will definitely get this one. I think we're going to see, and are seeing, a little migration towards lower calorie cooking in the low carb area. Its just what works for those of us with balky metabolisms!
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 00:39
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Good morning, PSMF'ers!
Ok, I'm finally at the point where it's feasible for me to try a stint of PSMF (getting ready to wean the Babe, and tired of verrrrry slow weight loss). Starting Monday! Woo hoo, or <cringe>?

Spending the weekend eating at maintenance, rereading the PSMF, and gathering tips and info. I really love Nancy's idea of lemon curd over cocheese,
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 02:23

Lisa, glad you are joining us! It might help to read the whole PSMF thread, although you probably know most of it. This group has been terrific support and we have had a lot of laughs along the way. Nancy and Sona came up with the idea of the recipes thread..

Cabbages and cauli are our friends. And we love to cook with heaps of spices so as to make the diet more palatable. I am actually looking forward to getting back to it on Tuesday after my 2 week break (and added 4 lbs!) With the free meals it is really all very easy. I am now in Cat 2 so am doing refeeds, although I don't know if I need to do them weekly- perhaps not.
I could tell that I really needed one after 6 weeks and my body tanked. So I am thinking that perhaps I should do them fortnightly now, after the break.

Val
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Gooood morning all!

Cindy, honey, you're doing marvelously! Very impressed with your numbers. I'm betting you'll be in "vt" in no time at all.

Val, if you want that recipe, PM me your email address. Some of the forum members are going to try it with low fat, or non fat cheeses. Friends Annie, and Maggie are going to make it with no changes.

I'm with Cindy, just the thought of canned chicken as my main protein would send me into the trench's.. plus all that sodium for preservatives.

I'm right back to where I was before I left for St. Thomas. I drank gallons of water, and kept my fat down. Not sure what my calories have been, but I've been living on huge salads, loaded with raw veggies...... AND, I found this fantastic salad dressing the other day. Newman's own "lite" sesame-ginger. It burns my lips, is spicey and has a sweet and tart taste. I'm loving it.

Fresh seafood has been really cheap around here lately, so I've been eating a lot of snapper, dolphin (mahi mahi to you), and grouper. So between the salads and fresh fish, I've been eating so clean, I squeek! LOL.

My fridge is now loaded with FF cheese, low fat mayo, low fat salad dressings, low fat cottage cheese, FF cream cheese, part skim mozzeralla. It took a long time to get rid of all the Atkins high fat stuff. Now I feel safe, and I can eat without being paranoid of falling back into the high fat syndrome.

Not to mention, one of the forum girls wrote about her dad's BP and high cholesterol, and how he had a stroke. It hit a nerve with me. I don't do Dr's, (I can't afford health ins), I don't take meds, but I know my cholesterol and BP are higher than normal. I'm hoping that I can "fix" some of it, with diet.

I bought tons of Hoodia, and it didn't work with me. It didn't affect me at all.
But..... I have read about something else that is much more valuable.

Anyone ever hear of Kannyaki? Google it. It's a Japanese tuber that is all fiber, no calories, no carbs, etc... I'm going to go hunt for it soon. Cleans the intestines, a good filler for soups, etc.

Other than that, all is well here. I'm having trouble going back to 800-900 calories per day. Plus my best buddy, Annie, joined my gym, and she and I have been going nearly everyday, riding the recombent bike and visiting. It's been fun.

Cindy, thanks for asking!
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 08:37
Experimenter

BF:

I wonder if Kannyaki is what those zero carb noodles are made out of. Shirataki? If so, I've had them! They're pretty bland and chewy. But perhaps it was just they didn't take to stir frying.

Good to see you, PG! Welcome back. You should get your BP taken. You might find that its perfectly fine. Everyone in my family has high BP except me, the low carb keeps it good. Once my carbs start going up, so does the BP.

Quote:
bought tons of Hoodia, and it didn't work with me. It didn't affect me at all.

Me too. I was looking at all the bottles of Hoodia crap I bought wonder what I should do with it. *sigh*
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You should get your BP taken.
Two days ago, it read 137 over 80. I'm working on it

Hoping all the exercise will help it along, as well.. Diet is good.
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffle00
-Cindy: I think the biggest thing keeping me on the chicken now is the new brand I found. It's actually not dry, and is salted enough to where it's kinda seasoned. I think it also does a lot to keep my appetite down...if I begin to feel hungry, I think about the chicken and suddenly I feel like I can go a while longer...

Yep...thinking bout canned chicken would kill my appetite too I won't tell you that I'm about to go cover some chicken breasts with a dry rub and grill them to perfection! My neighbors will think I'm crazy bbq'ing at 9:30am.

New psmf low for me again today!! 272.8 I have no idea how I did that after my cheat meal last night (details in my journal). And in 3 more lbs I'll be in VT!!

Welcome back PG! Congrats on getting back to pre-vacation weight!! yep...run by the drug store and get that bp tested. (which it now seems you have already done!) I seem to recall you're a good exerciser (don't you do a lot of beach walks). That helps tremendously with the bp, as does low carbing.

I'm sure PG and Nancy can come up with a hoodia recipe I haven't needed the stuff yet, but I doubt it would work for me. No other supposed appetite suppresent has yet
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 16:29

I remember reading one person saying that it took weeks of taking hoodia for the effect to happen...perhaps it is another one of those YMMV things, like everything else.

Lynne, my email is valewis~lagunacom.com.au...we have started a low calorie low carb recipe thread BTW, in this same subforum, so if someone works it out for low fat perhaps post it there.

The noodles in question are indeed quite bland but I like them anyway as a filler in asian food...they are "konjac" or "Konnyaku"
(Shiritaki is a general name for thin noodles and can be made of anything.) I buy them over here in small water packs and are sold in Asian supermarkets in Brisbane...the water is a bit fishy smelling and you drain them off and wash them..then just throw them in to whatever. They used to be popular in sukiyaki dishes in the old days of Japanese restaurants where a geisha-dressed girl would kneel and cook at a brazier next to your table, nodding and smiling...

Sukiyaki could be a good one to do actually...look up the sauce, which I think is probably mainly mirin and soya...just cook very thinly sliced good beef and lots of sliced onion, add the sauces (I would create a fake mirin using a white rice wine and a sweetener) and the konjac noodles. Hmm.. perhaps this needs posting in the recipe thread.

Cindy, congrats on further successes- you are becoming our poster girl!

Val