Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 20:07

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

LOL...I am 65 and pretty weak with various injuries, so my exercise regime would be of no use to you. I just meant that it would take at least 6 months, not weeks (you had said you were just a few weeks into it), to see any results with weight lifting. But I would give it a year. In any case, it should be a WOL along with eating lower calorie, and not a quick fix. If you had started doing all this 2 years ago and stuck to it, that person at work would have had nothing to be nasty about. So think how you will be 2 years from now if you keep this up and do weights and don't worry about what you look like at the moment. Its still early days.

Val
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 21:17
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Kcookys: You're still pretty young, so even though it's unlikely that you'll pack on the pounds by weight lifting, you should notice muscle before 6 months. What have you been doing the last few weeks? If your reps have been in the 12-15 range and you think you're ready for more weight, try dropping to 8-10 reps (or even better 6-8, which is where you want to end up) for muscle gain. I'm not sure you can really sustain that on this diet though...Anyway, if you do get into the more intense weight lifting remember to bump up your exercise level in the spreadsheet (it should put you at 1.5-2 g protein / LBM pound).
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 21:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've heard our bodies change for a year after we lose weight. Things readjusting and tightening up.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 22:25
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

OMG I cannot believe she did that, maybe a 4 year old child who is genuinely curious (I remember asking my mom why her belly looked like "that" - she was slim but had 4 kids rather quickly)...

Anyway... as for things looking worse - even being in my early 20s when I lose weight things look a lot worse before they get better. Thighs seem to empty out and look flabbier and saggy, as does the stomach... it really does look better though once you adjust after the weight is gone. Your weight lifting won't affect the SKIN, it will make you hard and shapely underneath the jiggle. The hardness will come pretty quickly (weeks to a couple mos) if you're really working at it, thesize and shape will come less quickly because as Valewis pointed out, it takes time to build muscle. Keep at it you're doing really well and obviously making progress. Check out dry skin brushing as something to help your skin over time.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 09:21
Experimenter

BF:

I remember when I was little I used to love to play with the flab on my Mom's arms. I didn't understand why she didn't like me to!

Day #4 and I'm hovering .5 pound away from my low after my diet break, TOM, etc. Yay!
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 12:02

Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

Should I be counting my vegetables on Fitday, or is it just calories from protein i should be worried about?
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 12:38
Experimenter

BF:

Lyle said in his book that you can have unlimited veggies. But he cautions its the stuff that we put ON the veggies, the "ride alongs" as it were, that we need to be wary of.

I think there's someone on his message forum that is eating astonishingly large volumes of veggies, along the lines of several heads of cabbage every day.

I put everything in Fitday for curiousity's sake, but I don't limit my veggies.

Hey! I had 2 turkey sausage for breakfast today. Big un's. They come five to a pound and they REALLY stuck with me. Its my usual lunch time and I'm not hungry yet. Only 130 calories each.

Quote:
even being in my early 20s when I lose weight things look a lot worse before they get better. Thighs seem to empty out and look flabbier and saggy, as does the stomach...

Thighs on me, fer sure. Imagine if you had a zip lock bag and it was all the way full of jello. So tightly packed you couldn't possibly get any more in. That was my thighs before. Now if you remove half the jello and added in some water, that'd be my thighs now.

Boobs are definitely doing something similar, only they're just hanging more! *sigh*

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Sep-15-05 at 12:44.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 15:19

Just reporting in that being back at home after my trip away and one week of diet break, I had gained 6 lbs! So being able to resume low fat eating and carbs to what is required on the break, I have already dropped 2.5 lbs in 2 days. Feeling a bit less bloated, but will be glad to resume low carbing again when the break ends on Tuesday.

Val
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 16:02
Registered Member

BF:

In the event anyone cares to join me on the canned chicken, broccoli, green beans, and cottage cheese mPSMF, and you have the option of going to Costco or Sam's for your chicken, choose Costco's. Costco's weighs less (0.5 oz), has 5 g more protein per can, and 50 fewer calories. Also, while Sam's is dry and not too great, the Costco chicken is soft and moist.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 16:11
Experimenter

BF:

How is it going so far, Truffle? I'm looking forward to hearing how you're doing!
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 21:21
Registered Member

BF:

Now that I found the better chicken, it's great! I wasn't too keen on having to switch over to tuna without mayo or other sauces (fish burps all day), so this is a perfect fix for both the calories and overly dry chicken. As far as weight...these last two days I seem to have stopped losing weight. I think I just dropped a lot of weight really quickly, and my body is adjusting or holding on to the remaining fat as tightly as it can. I hope to start losing again soon.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 22:11

You can get fat free sour cream to mix into tuna, then eat over salad veg...this is quite nice. You are going to want to have a break from canned chicken! Also, try buying some ground turkey and make some chile with it- a tin of diced tomatoes, onions, Mex. seasonings, and chile..just simmer. Eat it in lettuce cups with fat free cheese on top, and mock sour cream. I also buy the leanest beef hamburger too.

We all found that we don't lose weight every day so don't worry about it- a few pounds a week after the initial loss...take a look at Cindy's progress for example.

Val
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 09:22
Experimenter

BF:

Truffle, have you looked into using non-fat mayo, sour cream that sort of thing? Not as tasty as the full fat versions, but really not bad!
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 11:37
Registered Member

BF:

Actually, I tried fat free sour cream, but it was on accident. I buy my FF cottage cheese at Dominick's, and their store brand uses containers that are exactly the same for sour cream and cottage cheese: red design for full fat, green or something for reduced, and blue for fat free, the only difference beingthe words "Sour Cream" or "Cottage Cheese" on the front. Now, I guess I wasn't the only person who got confused by this because someone stocked both the sour cream section and cottage cheese section with sour cream. The tubs were turned around, so I just picked up two and left...I didn't find out about my mistake until I got home and opened the container. I wasn't too happy about that.

Anyway, to me, FF sour cream tastes just like yogurt, especially when I put a little vanilla syrup and cinnamon in it. It's pretty weird. It has more carbs and less protein than my cottage cheese, though, so I can't really justify eating more of it unless I'm considering going off the diet and this keeps me on. Ditto with the FF mayo...I have the container, I just haven't opened it yet. I appreciate the food suggestions, but I want those to remain as backups for when I just can't stand plain chicken anymore.

And I understand that people don't lose weight everyday...heck, I didn't when I was on Atkins. I've gone down another 0.5 pounds in the last 3 days though, so I guess I'm still moving, but much more slowly now. I just tend to get my hopes too high, but I think I'm strong enough to give up. We'll see what happens.
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 11:43
Experimenter

BF:

One thing to tune into is how your clothes are fitting. For me, I'll feel my weight loss in my clothes before I see a drop in the scales. Then it'll be a drop at the scales after some serious water unloading. For instance, I was up about 5 times last night to pee and was down 2 pounds this morning.

I didn't suddenly lose 2 pounds of fat in one day, I lost it over a period of several days, but I think there's some water retention going on there when you lose fat. At least, that's my theory!