Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-05, 09:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Not a problem. In my signature there's a link that says "What is PSMF?". If you click that link it describes the diet and there's a link there to www.bodyrecomposition.com. The book is "Rapid Fatloss Handbook" and there's an excerpt under the "products" button you can read to give you an idea of what it is about.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-05, 10:29
Experimenter

BF:

I drained some NF yogurt last night and yeah, I think I understand why the greek yogurt is so expensive now. I was left with about half of what I started out with. It drained off over a cup of whey and looks like it reduced the volume just abuot by half.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 08:39
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, diet break is over. Restarting PSMF today. I am up three pounds, but still PMS'ing so part of that is water.

Something I noticed... I've been definitely more creaky jointed and ouchie on my diet break. I'm wondering if I might have an issue with wheat.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 10:30

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

I have gotten some great news for everyone! This week end I was at the SuperMarket and ran across this line of ice creams called No Pudge. Some of their products cater to LOW CARB and LOW FAT diets!! They use Splenda and fat free products which is WONDERFUL for us PSMF'ers! Check out their website for nutrional information! Tell me what you guys think...if these products are good ones to use as a cheat/free meal item!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 10:34
Experimenter

BF:

That's great, K! I have seen their ice cream bars in the past. I hope I can find some of their products still.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 10:38
Registered Member

Stats: 255/199.5/160 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I have some of their ice cream bars...they're not that good but not that bad either, especially if you can't really have anything sweet. To me, the sugar alcohols seem pretty high at 20+ g per bar, so it all depends on how those affect you.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 10:44
Experimenter

BF:

Ow! That would be painfully high for me, I think. Although I could be guaranteed of only eating 1 bar... else pain!
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 10:59
Registered Member

BF:

By the way, I'm really liking the effects of PSMFing! I'm going to copy and paste the post I made in one of my challenge threads today:

"Well, I mentioned doing a carbup last week before starting my new diet, which consisted of:

-6.75 oz Skittles
-8 oz Pepperidge Farms Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
-8 oz Tropical Dots
-8 oz Chocolate Covered Blueberries and Strawberries
-~12+ oz German Chocolate Cake
-4-5 Assorted Cookies
-2 oz Starburst Candy
-1 Little Debbie Brownie
-1 Kudos Bar
-1 Cup Full Carb Fruit-on-the-Bottom Yogurt
-1 Bowl Cereal and Milk
-~1 lb Pizza
-Spaghetti and Fried Chicken

Yes, it wasn't a structured carbup period, but I think it worked (I had a wonderful cardio session where I just kept going at a resistance level higher than I had used before). This was all consumned from Tuesday night starting around 9:30 p.m. until Wednesday night. On Tuesday morning I weighed in at 217.5 and by Thursday morning I was up to 223.5. Today, I'm at an even 215...this new diet diet rocks. Any chance I can count this last week as 8.5 pounds instead of 2.5?"

Once again, I understand this wasn't a structured refeed, but eating at Atkins Induction levels for 2+ months (calorie restricted after the first three weeks or so), it didn't seem like PSMF would be a big enough system shock so I decided to force it. I'm just impressed that I managed to take off an additional 2.5 pounds above the water weight in a matter of days. I know not to expect similar losses throughout the duration of the program, but I think I'll try to stick with this for close to the full 12 weeks. We'll see what happens!
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 11:16
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Any chance I can count this last week as 8.5 pounds instead of 2.5?"

Count it however you like! I had a lengthy carb-binge before I started and it resulted in a huge weight loss right after I started, mostly because of all the water pounds I dropped!

Did you have any weird side-effects of your carb-o-load?
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 16:00
Registered Member

BF:

Side-effects? Hmmmm...I felt mildly dehydrated (considering all the water weight I put on, it was tough to keep up with water consumption), had a very mild headache for about 15-20 minutes on Tuesday (probably because I dove right into the cake on Tuesday instead of starting with fruit/breads/pasta), some bloating, and horribly foul-smelling gas (sugar alcohols give me more gas but with neutral smell, apparently binging on sugar gives me less quantity but more potency). Still, the side effects were well worth it.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 18:31
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! I know what you mean about the gas, I noticed whenever I get carb crazy I gas up. Fortunately this gas doesn't cost $3 a gallon, or I'd be broke.

I also get a pounding, fast, hard heart beat when I eat a lot of carbs. Weird stuff!
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 18:34
Experimenter

BF:

Here's an open question to all you PSMF'ers. Do you feel tired, cold, fatigued, obsessed with food when you're on the low calorie portion of the diet?

I know I don't. I actually feel like I have better than normal energy. I do start to dwell on thoughts of food when I get 5 days into a low cal cycle but usually that's because I know I've got a free meal coming up and I'm planning it. Otherwise, I feel mentally alert, not particularly hungry (except at meal times), not terribly obsessed over food.

How do the rest of you all feel?
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 20:18

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I got all the signs you described at 4 weeks into the diet..doing the refeed fixed that. I think it happens when you get into Cat 2.

Am returning from Sydney this afternoon- being taken out for Thai lunch, then on to the plane. Back home I will resume a flexible diet for the second week of the break...I have eaten HEAPS in the past day or two. I still have a ways to go with my weight so will probably resume PSMF for another 4-6 weeks.

Val
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 11:47

Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

In the begining, I was obsessed with food, however, it has calmed down tremendously with time ( and when I know Im getting a few carbs in soon). I find that I feel healthier actually, and lighter when Im PSMFing. This week end I lost my mind at a Christening Shower that my family hosted and all I remember from the pig out session, is how uncomfortable and bloated and heavy I felt afterwards. I think those feelings are becoming deterants to eating the heavy carb/sugar loaded foods.

QUESTION: I see Truffle00's carb up was loaded with candy. Was that bc it was her own version of a carb-up? I thought Lyle said that a refeed/carb-up was suppose to be sugar/fat free, justing adding in carbs. Can someone explain this to me.

QUESTION II: I just came back from GNC and they are having a sale on Whey Protein. I keep seeing different types with different fat/carbs/sugar/calorie ratios. SHould I be concerned with all this stuff or just buy the cheapest?
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 11:55
Experimenter

BF:

I don't think he said fat free, but I believe he said it should be quite limited. I don't think Truffle0 was going strictly by the book... it was more like a pre-diet binge. Something I've done more than once.

As far as the whey, if they've added sugar you probably don't want it. Actually, whey has a lot of sugar since that is the most concentrated form of lactose. If it were me and money weren't an issue, I'd go with the lowest carb. But if they're just a few carbs difference, I don't think it'll make a huge difference to you.