Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 14:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ned, how much do you consider "a lot of fat"? I'll have to check my sausages, but at 130 calories each, 5 to a pound, I don't think they're very fatty. They vary a lot though, from brand to brand. I got the ones that were lowest calorie and find them massively tasty.

You could definitely make your own sausages. I don't know how good canned chicken would be in them, but nothing like an experiment to find out. You could also buy frozen chicken breasts. I'm going to try that at some point.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ned, how much do you consider "a lot of fat"? I'll have to check my sausages, but at 130 calories each, 5 to a pound, I don't think they're very fatty.

Nancy,

I went out yesterday to Trader Joes and they didn't have
Turkey Sausage but they had chicken sausages IIRC.

The stats said something like 170 calories per serving
and 120 calories from fat. That's like 71% fat, right?
120/170 = 70.5%.

I am think'n the LEAN Turkey loaf that they have in
the market is better for me than that if I shred it up
and use it in chili and soups and such.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 16:52

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Well if there is that much fat, it kind of makes the macro's out of balance, as one wants to have more protein with this diet. But if it is just calories that worry you it sounds OK.

I have been making chiles with chicken breast- works out just fine by the time you add in all the tomatoes, onion and spices.
You could probably make these with erasers and it would still taste good.

I admit to making some chile with ground turkey- but this was from the deli section and they had no nutritional info, so could have had heaps of fat..I try to be sparing with the quantity when I think it could be fatty, and use heaps of veg with it.

The other thing to consider is that it is probably a good idea to get a bit of sat fat into the system now and again...just not daily perhaps if you are trying to lose weight.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 17:21
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedgoudy
Nancy,

I went out yesterday to Trader Joes and they didn't have
Turkey Sausage but they had chicken sausages IIRC.

The stats said something like 170 calories per serving
and 120 calories from fat. That's like 71% fat, right?
120/170 = 70.5%.

I am think'n the LEAN Turkey loaf that they have in
the market is better for me than that if I shred it up
and use it in chili and soups and such.

Good grief, that IS a lot of fat. Are you sure you weren't looking at a lump of pate foie gras or something? Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen a sausage wtih that much fat before. Not even pork sausage could have that much. I'll have to look next time, but I think the sausages I get are probably only 2-3 grams of fat each.

Were you looking in the deli-meat area at Trader Joe's? I know their uncooked sausages are fattier. I get the cooked turkey sausage it is in the deli/cheese area. But then again, your TJ's might be totally different from mine.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Good grief, that IS a lot of fat. Are you sure you weren't looking at a lump of pate foie gras or something?

Nancy,

I just went out and bought some Turkey Loaf that was
60 total calories/15 calories from fat. Using my same
method of figuring, that would be 15/60 which would
be 25% fat. That is about the same as hamburger.

I cut off a chunk and put it in some beans and veggies
I made a couple of nights ago and heated it with fresh
New Mexico Chili pepper (ground up.) It was pretty tasty.
I just hope it wasn't too much to eat.

On a related note, I also bought some LA TORTILLA brand
Low Carb TORTILLAS but was surprised when they charged
me $3.49 for TEN TORTILLAS! Jeebus! I told the checker
that they needed to do a REALITY CHECK (as opposed to
a Price Check) on that item. And I didn't even try them with
my chili since I was afraid that I might have eaten too much.

But tomorrow I can make some bean tacos and add some
fresh onion and tomatoes and a bit of tabasco and that will
be a REAL TREAT!

The Turkey Chili was tasty tho. Not my best cooking but it
hit the spot.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailew
Thanks Jude. I have no prob with eggs, but avoid tofu because of being hypothyroid. I wonder how many eggs would correspond to the tofu in that recipe? Would it be better to use just the egg yolks? ~Gail

It's been my understanding for some time (though I can't nail down the origins) that it's 'western-style' soya products such as soy 'milk', soy protein isolate, etc., that are most of the thyroid problem, that fermented or 'eastern-style' soya products, such as tofu, tempeh, etc., are not a thyroid problem.

Anyone know more about this possible difference? I haven't had time to dig into it...yet.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 18:41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
Yes I agree re the mock hollandaise. The problem is not the eggs which are hardly 'heart stopping' plus I try to avoid soya as well...all that grape seed oil is not an improvement either due to the calories. I think one could make a low cal mock hollandaise using 2 eggs plus 2 yolks, a tbsp lemon juice and 1/4c chicken stock..just thicken by cooking over boiling water, and add the tarragon, pepper and salt to taste. Then if that is too thick, add a little something else to thin it, e.g. ff sour cream. The fat in egg yolk is very healthy.

I haven't tried this yet, but I think it is feasible.

It would be very interesting to see if you still get an protein/oil emulsion without much oil.

I have to say that 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil over a 2 1/2 cup total yield -- or 10% of the recipe -- composed of exceeding healthful grapeseed oil loaded with antioxidants, well, I don't think it's a lot of fat calories, nor are they any less healthful than the fat in the yolks.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what the fats percentage would be in your 2 egg yolks and 1/4 C chicken stock version...?
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 19:13

Jude, I think you are right. It is only the fermented and precipitated soya that the Asians eat, and even then it is more of a condiment and often included in a meat broth. What has happened is that the enormous soya bean oil industry had oodles of mush leftover and this has been converted to an isolate that is then promoted as healthful and used for milk and in TVP etc. There is plenty of evidence that it is not healthful, can cause birth defects, cancers, etc. and hypothyroid issues..the phytate contents is really high in these products, which inhibits the important uptake of zinc and other minerals.
Vegetarians should not touch the stuff, and confine soya to small amounts of miso, tempeh, and tofu...combinations of legumes is a healthy source of protein, but I would still be supplementing with Vit B12.

And no, re mock hollandaise it makes a thickened sauce, not an oil-emulsion type sauce. I haven't checked what the macro's would be in the recipe yet, sorry. Hell, I haven't even made it yet! It might be awful, but my guess is that it would be an OK sub. I don't think the oil content of 4 eggs to make almost a half cup of sauce would be as high as real hollandaise.

I will go check and repost.

Last edited by VALEWIS : Mon, Oct-10-05 at 19:18.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 19:18

Here's the mock hollandaise using 4 eggs and 1/4 chicken broth

source grams cals %total
Total: 266
Fat: 18 159 62%
Sat: 5 49 19%
Poly: 2 22 8%
Mono: 7 61 24%
Carbs: 2 9 3%
Fiber: 0 0 0%
Protein: 23 90 35%
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 19:26

So a serving would probably be 133 calories, so yes, that does make it more calorie dense than the other recipe with 1/4 cup grapeseed oil.

Do try it and let us know what it tastes like..given that you are OK about eating the tofu as the protein source.
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-05, 19:35

On second thought, so that the egg recipe is not too thick, one would have to use about 1/2 cup of lemon juice as well, and perhaps more stock..this would increase the quantity and likely make it about the same calories.

So we need to try each recipe and see which one tastes better.
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 17:05
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
On second thought, so that the egg recipe is not too thick, one would have to use about 1/2 cup of lemon juice as well, and perhaps more stock..this would increase the quantity and likely make it about the same calories.

So we need to try each recipe and see which one tastes better.

...and if they BOTH taste great we have two options to alternate with...
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 17:15

Jude, OK I will eat fish tonight so will make a small serving of my recipe, using one egg, lemon juice and chicken stock plus herbs and maybe a tad of ff sour cream, and see if it works...verdict tonight/ tomorrow.
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 20:52

OK I just made some. As I never measure anything, it would have been approx. 1 small egg, scant 1/4c lemon juice, flavored with tarragon, and chicken stock powder. As it thickened, added a few tbsp chicken stock. Also added a pinch of dry mustard and maybe 1/2 tsp of ff sour cream. If it thickens too much as it cools in fridge I will add more chicken broth.

Its good.. Not swoon material, like lemon curd or real hollandaise is, but will do the trick on my fish and add a bit of extra protein from the egg.
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 22:07
Experimenter

BF:
Default Turkey in Red Hats

Taking someone's suggestion, I sauted about a pound of ground turkey with garlic and onions until nicely browned. Then I poured in a can of marinara sauce and I cooked off some of the moisture. I cut 3 large red bell peppers in half and deseeded. I stuff the meat mixture into the bell pepper halves and put them on a pan, covered with aluminium. Then I sprinkled a bit of myzithra (you could use parmesean) and a wee bit of mozarella and some low fat cheddar. I cooked in the oven for about 20 minutes... until I was about to gnaw the oven handle off it smelled so good. So I got impatient and turned on the broiler and broiled until the cheese browned.

Very good!