Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 20:10

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

One is meant to put fluid in too- what did you use? I am thinking I might try a pouch 'coq au vin' and put some potato in (while still on diet break)...which could be sub'd with jerusalem artichokes for PSMF. I'll try this tonight and feed back.

Val
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 21:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I didn't put any fluid in because I couldn't see how it wouldn't spill out. I don't think AB did either. There was a wee bit in the chicken and the veggies. You're right though, the Good Eats show added various liquids. Hmmm... how'd it stay in? Oh wait, that was the foil pouches, not the paper ones.

Here's the recipes he used: http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season7/EA1G08.htm
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 21:21

He used 1/2 c white wine in the snapper recipe. And in the chart he shows liquids to use, e.g. fish sauce, stock etc.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 05:44

OK, parchment pouch coq au vin worked extremely well. Pouch contained: sliced chicken breast, mushroom, onion, garlic, tarragon, rosemary and 1/4c red wine. Delish!

Val
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 08:17
Experimenter

BF:

I still can't figure out how you put 1/4 cup of wine inside parchment paper! He uses a like a tablespoon in the parchment paper ones.

I was think that something like a bit of sour cream or yogurt cheese mixed with mustard would make a good sauce for a pouch.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 15:45

I dunno- I just folded them so that it didn't leak and I put the pouches immediately into a hot oven. I did use a lot of paper though. If you fold it so that the ends are on top, and then staple, I don't see what the problem would be.

Try some curry in the sour-cream-mustard sauce.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 20:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey...just for the record...ran out of eggs for the bowl muffins and made one anyway...just 1/2 cup carbsense, sf syrup (b-52 & raspberry), with unsweetened cocoa and water...came out pretty much the same and 75 calories lower. Will remember that if having one later in the day when calories are a bit tight.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 03:36

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up Feedback on lc/lcal pizza base

UPDATE ON THE PIZZA BASE!!!!

Ok, I made it Wednesday night and ate it Thursday night and man oh man apart from the slight chewy texture associated w chicken (prob reduced by adding more egg).
I made mine to feed one, I used 1 cooked and cooled med chk breast, 1 large egg, 3 garlic cloves, 2-3 tablespoons of grated parmesan and ALOT of italian herb blend. Whizzed it up, spread it on grease-proof paper (is it like ur parchment paper???) and cooked till golden brown- only 15mins- the kitchen smelt great and it looked very convincing.

Last night added sliced cherry tomatoes and some pesto and popped in oven to warm through- IT WAS GOOD! Next time I make it I think I will add a pinch of baking powder to make it a bit fluffier.

The pizza base didn't feel like I was eating a restricted diet at all. Occasionally if I am feeling lazy ands just grill chicken and boil brocolli I look down at my plate and think- 'I am missing out', but last night felt like naughty eating!!!I finished the meal off with strawberry and caramel s/f jelly and was full to the brim so should have eaten less.

I was feelin a wee bit reserved about the whole recipe but now I feel like I have found a Gem , will be making it again but a big batch of the base so I can have it a couiple of times this week- I am going to test some flavourings- you know cheese and onion, instead of garlic and herb, mebe sundried tomms and some tomato puree. I don't use any flour or lc bake mixes so last night was a real treat- I ate bready type stuff and wasn't off plan!!!

Also I made my lasagna the week before, but minus any cheese. Just layered low cal mince and veggies in tomato sauce w really thin slices of corgette & cooked in oven for 30-40 mins. I made a big dish- prob enough for 2 if you had extra veggies on the side and it was soooooo tastey, really filling and mighty delish- the secret is in the sauce. Plus I worked out at least 3-4 portions of ur 5 a day (UK government thing).

This coming week I am going to trial my cottage pie using cauliflower mash in replacement for normal mash and using lc veggies and NO gravy in the sauce.

Am wondering how to mimic gravy though. Low carb, low cal gravy must be out there I just gotta pull on my thinking cap- anjy ideas anyone.

Does anyone have any low cal low carb TASTEY recipes for tinned tuna BTW?
Struggling student so will be living off tinned tuna, mince, eggs and chicken for the next term. I can do stuff to all of it to make it tastey but he only low cal lowish carb thing i can do w tuna is nuke it w onions, tinned tomms, herbs, and loads of lc veggies- like a pasta sauce. Pretty nondescript and boring- so yeah likeI said any ideas or recipes u already do I would love to know......

Gem

Last edited by Gemmafafen : Fri, Sep-16-05 at 03:54.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 03:43

I would be inclined to try it with uncooked ground meat mixed with the egg and parmesan...will have to try it.

We have a low carb, low cal gravy mix here in Australia that is useful..surely you must have something similar.

As for tuna, I just mix it with mock sour cream..

Val
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 08:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
I was feelin a wee bit reserved about the whole recipe but now I feel like I have found a Gem ,

Funny how that happens around here....I used to feel that way about the bowl muffins till I finally tried them and low LC pancakes(made with almond flour and ground pork rinds).

Anyway, Glad you liked it. It can be a bit pricey for a crust but it sure is a nice treat once in awhile.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 10:23
Experimenter

BF:

Hey! Thanks Gem for having the guts to try out such a novel recipe! No excuse now for me not to try it! I've got an enormous basil plant in the back yard.... this is just perfect! I could even crumble up some turkey sausage for on top!

Yes, I think your paper is like our parchment paper. Sort of water proof stuff you can bake on.

Zajack, I have found leaving out the egg makes your bowl muffin not rise quite so well, gives it more of a bread pudding like texture versus a quick bread. But actually, I like that for my coconut bowl muffin. Steaming hot, coconut bread pudding! Its such a comfort food in the middle of winter. And my chocolate BM's (ew!) are always better without egg. Sometimes I think a whole egg is just too much and use a half an egg, but then they're not as filling.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 12:28
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Tuna is great mixed with egg and chopped scallion then fried in "patties"
you can make it higher fat using the whole egg and oil to fry it, delicious eaten with mayo that is mixed with dill... or make it low cal using egg white, frying on a nonstick pan with a spray and no mayo. Boring.. but serves the low cal needing protein cheap purpose.

I've eaten tuna straight from the can with chipotle/tabasco sauce out of desperation. When you're really hungry you can actually eat it that way and feel grateful that at least it's not plain.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-05, 21:00
Experimenter

BF:

LOL! I have an "emergency" can of tuna in my desk drawer. It takes a true hunger emergency to make me want to eat tuna out of a can. It only happened once so far!
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 00:11
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hey Nancy! I'm getting ready to try my first stint of PSMF, and am REALLY grateful for this thread!

Here's my contribution:
PSMF Chicken Pörkölt/Paprikas
Ingredients:
--one b/s (boneless/skinless) chicken boob, sliced or chunked
--chopped yellow onion (about a T or so)
--(optional) 1/2t olive oil
--1/2T (yes, tablespoon) of Hungarian Paprika (and get the good stuff! Keep it in your fridge! )
--salt, white pepper, garlic powder to taste
--1/4-1/2c defatted chicken broth (amt depends on size of skillet)
--T or 2 of ff/low fat sour cream**

Sauteé the chicken in a non-stick pan w/some cooking spray (PAM).

Remove chix, set aside. In same pan, sweat the onion in a bit of water over low heat, until translucent.

Now add the oil, if you're using it (it's not necessary for the dish, but paprika likes to dissolve in oil), remove from heat, and then add the paprika, white pepper, garlic powder.

Dump in the broth, and return to high heat. Cook for about 3-5', reducing the liquid slightly.

Return the chix to the pan, turn heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 3', or until chix is cooked through.

**If you serve it like this, it's Chicken Pörkölt. If you add in the sour cream, it's now Chicken Paprikas.
(Actually, REAL pörkölt and paprikas is made with lard, peppers and tomatoes in addition to the spices, but this is a quick and EZ substitute.)

This recipe increases well, freezes well, and is VERY yummy over steamed cauliflower.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-05, 02:14

Hi Lisa,

Welcome!! You know on PSMF, unlike Induction, you can have peppers and tomatoes...so go ahead and do the paprikas with them.

I will be starting back from my break on Tuesday AM and am actually looking forward to it. Because of the high protein it is pretty easy, and such clean eating! Making it delicious has been Nancy's and my Quest, hence this thread. There have been lots of good ideas so far.

Check out the pouches ideas...so far these have been winners.
And the lemon curd is marvelous.

Val