Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 07:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm sure lean ground beef would work well too. Those sound like good toppings! Oh rats, forgot about the cheese though. Actually, I saw the "Calorie Commando" cook do goat cheese on nachos, its a bit lower fat than regular cheese. That might be pretty tasty on a pizza!

I've got Tandori powder which you're supposed to mix with oil (I will leave that out), lemon juice and yogurt. Its like 1 part of each. Yum! Definitely going to put that on the "to make" list.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 08:00

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default I can't live with out cheesecake in my life

I made this recipe after I found it on internet and altered it a bit Sorry the instructions are so basic- I wrote down EVERYTHING I did so my housemate could make it for her bf (she's hopeless in the kitchen). there are loads of ways to tweak the recipe i.e. adding berries, l/f coconut milk etc. ust the basic idea I guess is what u want.

Jello Chesecake
4oz low fat cream cheese
4oz low fat cottage cheese
1/2 sachet of sugar free jelly (any flavour u prefer)
3/4 pint of boiling water 60ml skimmed milk

Chill the milk in the freezer in the container u'll be whipping it in-
don'tlet it freeze, just get it icy cold.
Whilst milk is getting cold, sort out the two cheeses and stick them in a
dish on the side so they're ready for plonking in. Also make sure kettle is
on to boil.
Get milk out the freezer and using a milk frother, whip the cream till u
get
it as close to whipped cream consistency it will go. Put it back in the
freezer.
make up sugar free jelly using ur 3/4 pint of boiling water and stir for two mins, till all the jelly crystals have completly dissolved.
Leave jelly for 5 mins to cool down a little.
Add cheeses to jelly and blend till smooth.
Pour into dish u will be chilling it in and fold in whipped milk.Smooth
down with a spatula and refigerate for 4 hours.

Makes 4 servings,
each serving has only 70 kcals and 4 grams of carbs and almost 10 grams of protein and it is lush!

N.B. u may want to add a calorie frere sweetener tablet to the jelly
crystals to sweeten it a little more, this doesn't affect the carb or calorie count if u use the tablets that u can stick in tea/coffee (I use Hermestas).
Also, u could use semi-skimmed or whole milk for a better whipped
consistency, it's up to u.

Haven't tried this one- but will do in the next 2weeks and report back. I have thought about omitting the egg yolks and the butter or mebe just the butter- depends on how much it makes and what the carb and calorie count is for a generous serving.

Cottage-cheese Cheese Cake
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1/2 cup Splenda (or any flavored SF syrup you like)

Blend until combined, maybe 15 or 20 seconds. Then slowly add:

16 ounces l/f cream cheese (2 packages, softened)
2 Tbsp melted butter

That's it! If you like, you can make a crust out of 1 1/2 cups almond meal (ground almonds), 1/4 cup splenda, and 1/4 cup melted butter.

Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. It won't look quite done, but it does firm up as it cools and has been in the fridge. To help keep the top from cracking, place a pie tin filled with water on the shelf below to keep the heat moist.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 08:06
Experimenter

BF:

Ah! Blessed are the Cheesecake Makers! Thank you for this, always looking for low calorie desserts.

This jogged a memory for me... I remember when I was a kid my mom was always making salads and desserts that were embedded in jello. And I remember some of them involved cottage cheese and fruit. I was just thinking that this would work for PSMF using NF cottage cheese, a few raspberries. Hmmm!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 08:29

BF:
Red face Don't even bother reading if u are allergic/hate cottage cheese

Ok,so the thread got me thinking about low cal, low carb eating and how to's.
Cottage cheese is muy high in protein.........
It may be too high carb or you may be on a dairy free diet/ lactose intolerant but well I have none of that going on so......I will confess.....

I have an obsession with cottage cheese, I must sneak it into everything. It's creamy so it feels indulgent! Here in the UK I get cheap (good as I am a struggling student) tubs of low fat w only 3g carbs per 100g ( I think that's good) cottage cheese.

It can be made sweet or savoury. You can use it as a sub for sour cream/cream cheese or normal cheese, even yogurt- if you blend it w water.

I like it w cinnaomon, davinci and berries in the morning.

Sometimes when I am feeling the chocolate fiend join forces with Aunt Flow, I add sweetener/davinci vanilla to cc and cocoa powder (obviosly s/f), mix sometimes nuke and gobble. Like chocolate cheesecakey, milky yum yummy stuff.

I like to eat herby, slightly tomatoey mince, with s/f, v. hot salsa (or tinned tomatoes and tobasco if student loan has run out )with a big dollop of cc on top.

One thing I haven't tried is low carb/low cal lasagna, mainly due to lack of imagination and time (always too hungry to spend that long waiting for summin to cook). But what about aubergine slices and zucchini slices as the pasta sheets and cottage cheese (blended till smooth- goes further, add wee bit of water to make smoother) as the bechamel sauce substitute poss w some nutmeg grated in (my ma puts nutmeg in the white, cheesey sauce for lasagna- tis beautiful), and then ur mince in ur fav low cal low carb way. You could cover it w grated low fat cheese, bake for 40 mins and I think there would be a reasonabley tastey dish- if you like cottage cheese

Scrambled eggs w cottage cheese- I cook eggs till nearly done (I like mine runny) then I add some drained tinned chopped tomatoes, herbs, black pepper and cottage cheese, warm it through and mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Cheesy, creamy, herby peppery yumminess.

I'm sure there tons of things you can do with it. I just wanted to get my dirty little secret out as its a really big part of my life and my bf is the only one that knows!!!!!!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 08:33
Experimenter

BF:

I do that SF syrup and berries too on my cottage cheese. Unfortunately the LF is a little too caloric for the low-cal phase of my diet, so I use the Non-fat. Which it tastes ok if you dress it up. Your ideas are great! You've got quite an imagination.

We also have non-fat cream cheese. Which is... about as tasty as eating your underwear. But it works pretty well in recipes. Basically, I think we have non-fat versions of most dairy products and they all taste like that. Sometimes I use a mix of non-fat/low-fat and that really improves things.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 08:43

BF:

Wow, I have yet to find non- fat cottage cheese or cream cheese here in UK. The cheepy cheepy stuff from Adsa here is 69 cals per 100g/3.5oz. It comes in 200g pots so my portion control is sorted as well (i don't have more than 1 pot per day) I am so taken by the pizza crust idea on here, can't wait for the feed back- I'm gagging to make it with cottage cheese on top. MMMMM, maybe some worchestire sauce, peppers and mushrooms, grilled, oh god, I hope it's good. Absolutely cracking thread Nancy- love LoVe LOVE it!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-05, 10:12
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I'm gagging to make it with cottage cheese on top.

LOL! I hope this means something other than what I think it means.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 11:06

Plan: low- to medium-carb
Stats: 114/105/105 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, guys! Glad to see this thread--I'm sure I'll find lots of terrific ideas here.

Here's a two-recipes-in-one idea. NancyLC, it's been a while since I've made this, so I'll need someone (you) to try it out and give specifics or tweaks.

Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup or Stuffed Cabbage

Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup

Large pot, cut up a head of cabbage (strips, pieces, whatever), add enough to cover of a mixture of water and tomato juice (make sure you keep tabs of the cal/carb count: 1 cup, 2 cups). Add either lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and then stevia to taste--I generally use about 2 T of the former, 1 pinch of the latter--but you'll have to play with the tastes, depending on whether you want it sweeter or more sour.

Bring to a boil, then simmer till the liquid is reduced and the cabbage is tender. Taste the liquid--make sure it's sweet and sour properly.

Eat! Make sure you measure how much cooked cabbage you're eating--2 cups? So you can get the counts properly.

Stuffed Cabbage

Steam a head of cabbage till tender; remove the major outer leaves--at least three to five. Set aside the rest.

1/2 pound (or whatever amount you want) ground beef, ground veal, ground turkey, ground chicken. Season with whatever you like: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, a combo of AC vinegar/stevia with a bit of tomato juice or paste. You get the idea.

Place a small clump of the ground meat in the center of a cabbage leaf and fold in the sides, then roll up the ends toward each other. Place into a saucepan that has a tomato juice/water/AC vinegar (or lemon juice)/stevia combo in it. Continue making rolls till all leaves and meat have been used up.
Cover and simmer till liquid is absorbed.

Keep track of how much you're eating (2 ounces? 3 ounces? of meat--3 cabbage leaves?) for the macros.

NancyLC or VaLewis, perhaps you can come up with ideas for tweaking this recipe. Tomato paste instead of juice, other spices, etc. Just keep the macros within lc/lc!

Best, sona
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-05, 11:35
Experimenter

BF:

AH! Love cabbage. I will try them out!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Default Cheesey Mashed Cauliflower

I made this dish this morning, and it tasted so good, I wanted to share it.

2 small heads of cauliflower, steamed.
4 oz of FF cheddar cheese with horseradish
1 small clove garlic mashed
salt and white pepper to taste.

Steam and drain cauliflower, then let set to get rid of most of the liquid.
While still hot, grate the cheese on top of the cauliflower, add garlic and mash.
add salt and pepper to taste.

There is 48 calories to 1 oz of cheese.
0 Fat

#26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 11:48
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default the Ethiopian spicy sauce location update

taken from the email:
The red sauce Awase as it is known in Ethiopia, could be only found in remote location accessible only traveling two days by donkey to a town called Gonder in the remote parts of Wstern Etheopia. Hahaha had you going there hu? Really though, I don't know if the stores in the US sell prepared awaze yet, they might. We get outs from my dad and Tutu's mom. I know there are stores in LA and SF and Oakland area don't exactly know where, but I'm sure they can find one in the local yellow pages under ethiopian restaurant and go ask. The food stores are usually near the restaurants. We'll ask and let you know if we hear of one.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-05, 18:19
Experimenter

BF:
Default Lemon Curd

Wow, wow, wow! I just made low carb, lowish fat Lemon Curd! The recipe called for 6 Tbls of butter but I decided to try leaving it out. I think its going to be ok without it.

Recipe called for:

3 eggs (used 'em)
3/4 cup of sugar (Used 1/2 C of Polydextrose, 1/4 cup of Erythrinol and about 1/8 tsp of liquid splenda)
1/3 cup of lemon juice (I used a bit more)
1 Tbl of lemon zest, I used probably more like 2. I love lemon!
6 Tbl of butter (I didn't use)

Anyway, you mix it all together and then cook it over a pan with simmering water, stirring constantly until it comes to 160 degrees. It should take about 10 minutes. If it cooks too fast or too hot, you get scrambled eggs. Take it off the heat once it reaches 160 keep stirring. Pour it into another container and put plastic wrap down on the surface of the curd, so a skin won't form. Refridgerate. It should be about the thickness of pudding that hasn't set up yet and it will firm up when it cools.

I used the bowl from my kitchenaid mixer and put it into a saucepan of simmering water. I have a probe type of thermometer I used to keep track of the heat.

Basically its just an intensely lemon custard. I'll be using it for toppings on yogurt and the occassional bowl muffin.

I decided to use the polydextrose because it has properties similar to sugar and I figured this might need that. I don't know what would have happened if I had left it out and only used splenda... I don't think it would have been a good thing.

2 Tablespoons should be about 20 calories, 1 fat gram, 1 carb and hopefully (still waiting for it to cool) simply splendid!

Edit: Ok, its cooled enough and its absolutely scrumptious! I spread some over a bowl muffin.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Sep-09-05 at 19:59.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 14:50
Experimenter

BF:

Update to the curd. Just read you can do this in the microwave. Just zap a little at a time then whisk it well. I have a temperature probe for my microwave I can use also.

And Val has made this without fussing with the PDX or erythrinol and I think she said it tasted fine. So don't let my exotic ingredients put you off.

And I was also thinking that one could make chocolate curd or Da Vinci syrup flavor curd!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 15:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Just a note about the pizza crust recipe...you can use it as the base for what amounts to bruchetta. Just top with fresh finely chopped veggies and basil...drizzle with italian dressing or olive oil and dust with parm.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 19:19
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! I found a new recipe/method I LOVE!

Pouch cooking. You need some parchment paper, that's paper coated with silicon.

I used chicken tenders, spices, onion, garlic, sweet red peppers, mushrooms and just a very small amount of goat cheese (only 70 cal per oz, probably used 1/3 oz). I fold parchment in half lay the chicken, veggies, spices on one half of the parchment and then fold the edges, stapling as needed so it won't unwind or leak. Leave some room for steam to form.

I cooked 1 pouch for 20 minutes in 400' oven.

It was incredible!

I made up 4 pouches and stuck the other 3 in the freezer in a ziplock bag. We'll see how they work as instant dinners later this week.