Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 06:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%
Post Lowcarb Food in Supermarkets - database

I have been low carbing for for around 3 months and one of the main problems that i have is cooking myself meals that are quick, easy and cheap. There are a few things that can be bought that are processed that we can have that are just the ticket! I thought it would be a nice idea if everyone shared what they put into their shopping trolleys, top tips from the shelves of their supermarkets.

One of my favorite items is lamb Grills with a hint of mint from the Freezer at Somerfield 4 grills for about £1.99 - with trace amount of carbs.

If you have any favorites - please let me know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 13:15

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:

Hi Juicyjacki,

You can get Birds Eye Beefburgers and they have very few carbs which is a quick treat with cheese on top but if you want something that's tasty but takes a bit longer, Ken and Margaret make Shepherds pie with cauliflower, cream and cheese on top which is absolutely lovely and you feel like your having a major treat....Oxo's are only 2.2 carbs so you can add one or two if you like.

Any other good finds would be a bonus people so if you find something good then tell us too!!

Bez
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins - Aug 04
Stats: 204/204/133 Female 5ft 4inc
BF:
Progress: 0%

Great Idea Jacki.

I like the economy ham from tesco its only £1.99 for a large pack and is sugar free. I have this cut up into chunks to pick at while im at work.

Keep them coming everyone.

Emma

Oh, also i really like the al paso mexican fajita sauce. I called the help line and they told me the carb content (whoops i cant remember it now) but i know that i can have half a jar with loads of chicken and a bit of cheese as long as my other meals during that day are meat only. Its quick to cook, and doesnt taste as if your on a diet.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 17:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Red face

i really like that onion & garlic dip you can get from Asda in the chill section. its 4.3g per 100g and its great for dipping spicy chicjken pieces.

Chicken tonight do a very nice mild curry sauce for around 8 carbs per 1/2 jar. i make a huge chicken & califlower curry! Yum
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 17:31

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%

Hi

Can I add the Safeway Pork, Cheddar Cheese and Roast Onion Sausages that Daisy mentioned in the 'sausages and questions' thread. They are only 1.1g carbs each. Although they are a little on the expensive side at £1:99 for 6.

Keep smiling

Ken
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 18:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf

perhaps a silly question, but why aren't you all (apparently) entering this valuable and wonderful information in the international Low-Carb Yellow Pages (over there on the right of your screen, a Quick Link)?

Seems odd to me.

PS: are you aware of this website I just tripped over whilst looking for something else: LowCarb MegaStore UK ?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 16:59

Plan: Carbwiser
Stats: 290.8/247/203 Male 6ft
BF:Plenty
Progress: 50%

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IslandGirl
perhaps a silly question, but why aren't you all (apparently) entering this valuable and wonderful information in the [B]international Low-Carb Yellow Pages (over there on the right of your screen, a Quick Link)?

Done!!

Keep smiling
Ken
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 02:59
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins - Aug 04
Stats: 204/204/133 Female 5ft 4inc
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for the link Judi, i wasnt awhere of either of those pages.

Thanks again

Emma
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 01:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Talking you're very welcome!

anytime. We LOVE to share our information here!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 04:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 9 6/9 3/8 2
BF:
Progress:
Default any veggie ideas?

i only eat halal meat, which means i have to make special trips to a butchers t get my meet, and dont eat the meat you get in supermarkets because of religious beliefs. has any one come across any quick and easy foods on any supermarket which dont contaon meat? (i eat fish from superarkets
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 09:33

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool

Hello Faiz!

I noticed from another post that you are a student in London. How are you doing shopping-wise? Sometimes it is really hard to find specifics in London, even before LC!

From my own experience, Waitrose is good in their deli department (and also packaged, by the ready/bagged salad leaves) for things like roasted peppers, olives, marinated mushrooms, grilled eggplant and other easy snacks veggie-wise.
I also like their seafood salad, but wasn't sure if any of the ingredients (squid, mussels, octopus, prawns) were haram. I get mixed up with halal when it comes to shellfish. Just watch the carb counts and make sure none of the marinades contain sugar. They also have lots of different nuts (even macadamias!) and vegetarian or renet-free cheeses. Their web site to find a nearby location is www.waitrose.com --- you would think i worked for them! I would be happy to receive hard cash for this endorsement!!!

Sainsburys has much of the same, but nearer where I live, at least, price-comparison shopping showed that they were actually more expensive! Surprised me!

Marks and Spencers is almost useless to me, just because they have so many ready foods that have 'hidden' carbs. All the boxes and packaging make my head spin.

Safeways also has vegetarian cheese... I am not sure what else because it's been awhile.

Do you do much Middle Eastern cooking? Do I assume too much? I was going to say that baba ghanoush was 5g carbs, minus 2g fiber. I was also thinking that labenah might be good, but it doesn't seem right without pita! Do you have any hints for me?

Hope this helps!

Last edited by odd sock : Fri, Feb-01-02 at 10:24.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 18:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

odd socks, thank you so much for your comprihensive account of all th esupermarkets, i really appreciate it!!!1

i also live in surrey, where abouts do u live in surrey??

i have a waitrose really near my home,so that willl be really helpful.

#13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 19:00
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

odd sock,

i dont actually do much middle eastern cooking, coz im not from therr originally, r u?

i do, do alot of asian cooking though, and love stir fried okra.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 08:02

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Talking

Faiz! Sorry for the late reply... my computer was blitzed!

I am not from the Middle East, but have always been fascinated with other cultures-- the society, history, music, art, languages, and foods. I had a flatmate at university who was from Jordan and taught me about her cooking styles and some places to find ingredients (we were in the north, but pressured friends to bring up bulgar wheat, real pita, spices, and labenah from London!) I am hoping that I can incorporate at least some of what I know into LC. Some dishes really fit in, like lamb and okra stew and just about anything with roasted vegetables and aubergines.

I'm glad I could help with the shopping!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-02, 11:04
Registered Member

Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi Faiz and Odd sock,

I also only eat hala food and I am not from the middle east either. It does get a bit difficult for me sometime. Especially when it comes to snacking. I'm tired of eating boiled egges in between. When I'm at its just difficult, if you go to the cafetaaria the vegetarian food is always pasta or potato. The fish usually is battered. Being a student I'm strapped for both cash and time to cook everyday and everything. At this postion I'll have very little choice to be on anything other than induction the whole time...

What do you do about this? And odd -sock you seem to have a lot of knowledge about halaal and haraam, ey?

One thing I sometime make is fish cake. They're great but get tired of them too and the smell is not very welcoming all the time.

Sheila