Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 09:32

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I haven't started CALP yet but I've been doing Atkins for eons and one of my favourite lunches just so happens to fit the guidelines for CALP Mixed greens salad (radicchio, arugula, baby spinach, some other greens that I can't remember the name of now that come in the pre-washed salad bag ) and cucumber slices and then I throw in some small pieces of jalapeno havarti cheese and pieces of leftover steak/chicken/pork and topped with dressing.

As a guideline for me starting out on CALP, should I measure or check anything? For example, should I limit the amount of greens at all (I wouldn't think so but I want to know for sure) or limit the protein or dressing to a certain amount???

It's funny because I know Atkins inside out and backwards, could rattle off guidelines and advice in my sleep but now I'm starting over on a new plan ....

Thanks for any guidance on this!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 10:48

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Now that I'm pregnant my favorite RMs seem to consist of a salad and a meat! I get really weird cravings when I'm pregnant. Lately, it's been kielbasa salad: kielbasa cut up in tons of lettuce & one whole cut-up tomato with ranch dressing. Then I want fruit--fruit fruit fruit fruit fruit! I have to be careful on the fruit because when it comes right down to it, natural or not, it's still basically straight sugar and the body treats it as such.

When I was preg. with Colin I craved oranges and had at least one to two a day; often it was more like three. With Joey it was raw cauliflower and broccoli. Those were my actual *cravings* ("gotta have it") but I was also starving in general and ate non-stop & gained way too much. I'm trying to get a handle on that this time!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 10:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkil

As a guideline for me starting out on CALP, should I measure or check anything? For example, should I limit the amount of greens at all (I wouldn't think so but I want to know for sure) or limit the protein or dressing to a certain amount???

Low-carb greens don't really need to be limited, in my experience. The problem comes from the dressing. You don't technically need to limit the salad dressing but when all is said and done, it does contain some carbs (albeit just a couple), and usually a buttload of calories. You don't have to count calories in general...but if you use half a cup of dressing on each salad you have to know it will add up.

Limiting protein: No...what you need to do is eat until you're satisfied but never over-full. Your body will self-regulate this. Some days, one egg will do it. Other days it will need to be half a steak.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-05, 23:15

BF:

Thanks for the info, Glendora! It feels weird not to know my plan when I've been doing Atkins for so long, researching, etc., and am usually the one giving out the advice

When I was pregnant with my 2nd (I have 3) I craved fresh peaches all the time Good thing that craving hit in the summer time - I would have been in big trouble if I craved them toward the end (he was born in February)
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 07:34

Plan: CAD and 12 DD (Mayo)
Stats: 223/206/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Oooo I'm glad this got bumped. Post people! I need some more ideas!!!

Fave CM breakfast: a sausage patty or two and then two eggs fried in the sausage grease YUM! I buy the precooked sausage patties and heat them in a skillet for a few minutes on each side until browned and sizzling.

Fave CM Lunch: this varies a lot. Yesterday I had a simple egg salad. I was gonna have it on lettuce leaves with a little tomoato on the side but I ran outa time before having to pick up my son so I skipped the lettuce and tomato (didn't want it when I got back so I drank an extra glass of water to keep me full.) Most days I have a salad or green beans fixed one of several ways and a portion of meat. Boring boring boring!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 08:21

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

I like reading about what everyone is eating I don't know if I have a favorite CM. I am guessing it might be hotwings with blue cheese dressing. I seem to have them alot. I also like having LC coleslaw. I just buy the shredded bag of coleslaw (just the green, no carrots) and I add sour cream, mayo, white vinegar and 1 tsp splenda. I like having it on hand for CMs or RMs. (if I need an extra veggie) I seem to waver between Casear Salad or Balamic Vinegar Salad. I guess I grew tired of my basic salad with ranch dressing.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: VLC/Meat & Egg
Stats: 160/148/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 60%
Talking

Thanks for bumping this, too~

I'm jumping in with both feet soon. I have both books on order at my library and have also ordered used versions of the CALP and the Blood Type Diet. Hope one of them comes soon! I feel I need to read them first before going full tilt but till then, I'll just muddle along.
I coudn't be more excited about this plan! I've stalled on Atkins and deep down, I know this is a better WOE for me. Nothing against Atkins, though. I only have 10 or so pounds left to lose. Haven't really set a goal. I think I'll just let my body figure that out--since the scale and I are usually at odds! LOL!

I look forward to reading all the posts here and continuing to benefit from all the shared knowledge!

Thanks!
Olive
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 09:17

Plan: CAD and 12 DD (Mayo)
Stats: 223/206/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive77
I'm jumping in with both feet soon. I have both books on order at my library and have also ordered used versions of the CALP and the Blood Type Diet. Hope one of them comes soon! I feel I need to read them first before going full tilt but till then, I'll just muddle along.
I coudn't be more excited about this plan! I've stalled on Atkins and deep down, I know this is a better WOE for me.
Olive

Hi Olive! Welcome to CAD! I have looked through the BTD and need to get the books again. My mom is real big into and thinks it would benefit me and my immune-depressed kids. Maybe Sandy will jump in here too (or someone else who switched plans.) Don't be alarmed if you go up a little while your body is adjusting to CAD. Sandy just switched and went up a little before her body settled and went down again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4boys
I am guessing it might be hotwings with blue cheese dressing. I seem to have them alot. I also like having LC coleslaw. I just buy the shredded bag of coleslaw (just the green, no carrots) and I add sour cream, mayo, white vinegar and 1 tsp splenda.
Sounds yummy! What recipe do you use for your wings? And can you be more specific on the measurments for the cole slaw? I like numbers! I'm tired of plain ol' salad and ranch too!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 10:55

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

For the wings I bake them first, then in a sauce pan I combine 1/2 cup hot sauce & 1/2 cup of butter, then I put the wings in the sauce pan for a few minutes of bubbling

LC Coleslaw-
1 bag of pre shredded coleslaw mix with-
1/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup sour cream
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp splenda
1/2 tsp celery seed (optional)

I don't like my coleslaw swimming in dressing, this combination seems perfect for me. If you use a whole head of cabbage and shred your own this dressing recipe is doubled. Enjoy!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 11:39

BF:

I make a somewhat similar dressing for coleslaw:

1/2 c. mayo
1 tbsp cream/milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp splenda
black pepper, to taste

Mix all that together then add the whole bag of slaw and mix it up. For some, it may not look like enough dressing for the slaw but pop it in the fridge for a bit and when you stir it again it spreads more. I found this out the hard way and ended up with a bunch of dressing left over in the bottom of the empty bowl

I love hot sauce! I'm going to have to try out those wings Thanks for the recipe
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 12:31

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 210.5/210.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:

I love cabbage and cole slaw!!!

I am lazy and bought the hot wings at Sam's club and just put them on a pan and bake them and dip them in blue cheese dressing. I have been craving them lately.

I also bought the lime wings, haven't tried them yet.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 19:58
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks!

I know Sandy from a different BB. She's the one who inspired me to try this. Her journey has been nothing short of incredible!

I've been messing around and not getting down to business for way too long. I need to do wome walking badly!

I started a journal today just for the heck of it C'mon books!

I checked out some info on the blood type diet and most everything I should avoid, I dearly love! Spose there's a connection? LOL!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 10:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad-dawn
Fave CM breakfast: a sausage patty or two and then two eggs fried in the sausage grease YUM!

OMG! I do this too. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 10:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkil
Thanks for the info, Glendora! It feels weird not to know my plan when I've been doing Atkins for so long, researching, etc., and am usually the one giving out the advice

You'll be a CAD expert pretty soon too.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 12:14
Registered Member

BF:

I made the Spinach Ball recipe for breakfast this morning--except I put the mix in muffin tins (6) instead--they're delicious! I ate some leftover boneless, skinless chicken thighs, a cup of green tea and it was a great meal! Hope it sounds okay for a CM, I'm still waiting for my books

Here's the recipe:
Spinach Balls (muffins?)

2 10oz pkgs chopped frozen spinach
4 eggs,beaten
1 stick melted butter
1 large minced onion
1/2 c Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp accent ( I personally use crazymixed up salt instead)

Cook and drain spinach. Mix together remaining ingredients and combine with spinach. Chill until butter is hard enough for mixture to be shaped into balls. Bake for 20 mins at 350 degrees.

I sprayed the muffin pan with PAM.