Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 14:46

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

If you like the GI Diet, just wait until you see the "next step", the GL Diet There's a new-ish bulletinboard run by the author and friends where you might find some interesting info. Right now it's UK oriented, but all are welcome

http://dietfreedom.co.uk
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 15:02
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

GI! GL!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 16:36

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hey all..that fruit thing might be why my tummy has been so poofy lately. Hmmm...I'd heard that, but I really didn't think it mattered. Well I'll try to keep it limited to empty stomach, but thatd have to be first thing in the morning ONLY. I eat all day But I have noticed that I;m more *ahem* regular...and a bit more gassy as well...sorry for being gross.
And as far as the combining, I tried to fig it out, but really, who has the time to do that?!?!?
I'll keep posting when I find my stride...haven't found it just yet, and I;m still not weighing...couldn't pay me to get on a scale right now!
Well I'll chat it up later
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 18:26
empress of fashion

BF:

The Montignac method recommends a piece of fruit in the morning then breakfast about 15-20 minutes later, Sybs. His theory is that fruit really just wants to get through the body quickly. When eaten with other foods this process is held up, allowing the fruit to ferment and there you have the bloating/gassy effect.

Bought the GI book!

Mind if I post my menus? I welcome your feedback.
Today: one peach
breakfast: two slices whole grain bread, simply fruit spread, cottage cheese, coffee
lunch: one deviled egg, ham, one tomatoe
dinner: lentil soup (homemade), baked fish, asparagus
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 05:24

BF:

Ah ha! Got it. Gassy fruit...who knew
I will make sure to have it before I eat anything else. But, again, it's gonna have to be early morning cause I doubt my stomach has any time to empty comlpetely during the day. I'll post results! Thanks Iowagirl
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 05:49
empress of fashion

BF:

Read the GI book last night. Call me crazy but I didn't find it as clear as Montignac. I guess I was looking for more defined parameters and I did not see any sample menus. Anyway, after looking at both ways of eating I have decided to glean a little from both. I like the idea of protein at every meal as Gallop suggests. As for Montignac, I like the fruit on an empty stomach (I eat mine first thing in the morning too, Sybs then work out or take my shower then have breakfast) and I like the light, actually vegetarian dinners he suggests. I believe it is the European tradition to eat a hearty lunch versus supper as we Americans tend to do and it makes a lot of sense. Why eat a big meal during your least active time of the day?
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:16
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Iowagirl, your menu looks pretty good to me. As far as the fruit goes, I haven't had much yet - I'm going to the produce stand today. I'll have to try the part about eating the fruit first!

Sybs, I was really gassy (gross) last week, but it is much better this week. Gallop says it takes 10 to 14 days (I think) for your body to adjust.

I like the suggestion about lunch being the heartiest meal of the day - I've seen that on other plans also. I think I sleep much better when I don't eat as much for the evening meal! There was some saying about eating breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and supper like a pauper.....

Meals for today:
B- 1 slice of high-fiber bread, scrambled egg, skim milk

Snack - probably yogurt

Lunch - grilled chicken salad with olive oil/vinegar

Snack - yogurt or fruit/almonds

Supper - baked chicken, new potatoes, vegetable, salad

Exercise - Hopefully I'll do SOMETHING!

Have a great day!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:19
empress of fashion

BF:

Hey - I didn't see anything about seeds in these books. Can I have pumpkin seeds? It is only 9am and I'm hungry!!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:25
Just keep swimming

I don't know about seeds - nuts are okay, like a handful of almonds or macadamia nuts. I'm getting hungry too - time for a snack!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 08:36

BF:

Hey...I did try out the fruit on the empty stomach this morning. I had a nectarine, then did my workout/shower get ready and THEN ate breakfast. I noticed that I was able to run longer without getting tired as fast and that when I got ready for breakfast I was actually hungry! My tummy was growling! I also drank some water. So I'm gonna keep trying this and see how it works out.
I also brought my Krusteaz Carb Watcher brownies to work today...for others...they are SOOO good, but I bet they;re full of sugar. I didnt read the label, I just wanted something chocolate and good so I made them. Anyhoo, no more for me today. I made them muffin size so I could cut down on portion size. So out they go today!
So far
Pre-workout - nectarine and water
B - 1/2 c Fiber One
my last Krusteaz Brownie (low carb)

S - 1 wedge of Laughing Cow lite Swiss spreadable cheese (1carb)

L - Turkey with veggies and kidney beans
1/2 before 12 other 1/2 at 1 or 2pm

S - 1/2 c. cottage cheese

D - not sure yet...
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 11:46
empress of fashion

BF:

I had a taco salad for lunch. I don't suppose that was my best choice, was it? It was at a restaurant, not a fast food chain (possibly less grease, who knows?) and I ate about 1/3 of the taco shell bowl. The rest was meat and lettuce, sour cream, salsa.

Gallop suggests removing cheese from the menu, doesn't he?
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 12:02
Just keep swimming

He does. Fat-free cheese is "green light," but to me is totally nasty and not worth bothering with! Low-fat is "yellow light." I'm trying some low-fat cheese to see if I can tolerate it, otherwise, I'll just cut back a little and have the real stuff! Gallop himself says he does the diet 90% of the time, so I guess that allows for 10% of doing whatever. I'm trying to follow it during the week and allow for a little more indiscretion on the weekend. I may not lose as fast, but I'm over that and am looking at what I can live with forever!

I changed up my lunch a little and made this (I was having a rare creative moment - one of my teenagers even loved it):

Shrimp Stuff (scampi maybe)?

I had a bag of the frozen small salad shrimp, already cooked and deveined with the tails off - thaw in a colander under cool running water.

Whole wheat penne pasta - boil and drain.

Stir fry in a little bit of olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice with some broccoli/mushrooms/whatever chopped vegetables and set aside when still crisp.

Add 1 cup of white wine (Gallop says that cooking with wine is fine, even for phase 1, because the alcohol evaporates) to the skillet and boil until the liquid cooks down. Add cooked shrimp and vegetables and stir until heated.

Serve over the pasta.

YUM!!!!!!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 12:21
empress of fashion

BF:

Am reading the forums for the link you posted, Sylvia. People are ordering Indians and eating Pimms. What on earth could this mean????
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 14:43

Plan: calp
Stats: 185/140/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

this diet sounds very interesting. Can anyone post some typical day's menus? I can't buy the book because I have no money. Thank-you, Amy
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 14:49
empress of fashion

BF:

Scroll up and to the first page, Amy - we are posting our menus.
Closed Thread