Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 23:22

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 230/230/160 Female 5 feet5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Cad vs. Atkins

wats better CAD or atkins?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 23:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscali
wats better CAD or atkins?

Neither one is better than the other IMHO.
It's just a matter of which plan will suit you and your lifestyle, and which one are you going to be able to stick with.

We have many successful losers here on many different plans.
Only you know which one you will be most comfortable with.

Good luck to you!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 23:50

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I agree with Rosebud. Both have very sound foundations as to why they work. It's your individual chemistry that will determine which will work for you. But one thing they have in common is that they both stress whole, unprocessed, low carbohydrate (including low-carb vegetable) foods.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 08:17

Plan: calp
Stats: 185/140/130 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Yes it is up to you, but, personally, I like CAD a whole lot better, because, when I tried to do Atkins, I was so miserable not being able to eat any carbs, that I totally binged on carbs one day. I can't handle the diet. I also think that if you can handle it, you would lose faster on Atkins because of the restricted carbs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 13:47

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 230/230/160 Female 5 feet5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

ur wrong! in atkins u can have carbs but just up to a limit
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 16:35

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Right, MissCali...that is true...but CAD allows for many more carbs. Sometimes 100-150 a day. I think that's what people mean.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-05, 08:47

BF:
Progress:

yeah, not being able to have more than 20 carbs a day is like saying you can't have air. I can't live without air, and I can't live without carbs. CAD is the perfect diet.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 17:55

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I love CAD and CALP, however, in defense of Atkins, few people stay at 20 grams of carbs per day. That is only meant to be for the first 2 weeks. After that many people climb as high at 50 or 60 grams of carbs per day, but usually it is 30 to 40 grams and that is still quite low compared to CAD and CALP, so I realize what you're saying. Everyone is so different. People on Atkins will be able to have higher fat than us though and perhaps able to eat more calories too, because of ketosis being calorically wasteful. My problem with sticking to Atkins was that I ate too frequently and too much. I need to eat less frequently, unless I'm doing the Fat Fast, which I have done on occasion. That is tiny tiny meals spread throughout the day and equaling only 1000 calories and upwards of 70% fat. This is only for people who are very, very resistant to weight loss and find it hard to remain in ketosis or get into ketosis for that matter.

I think there is a plan for everyone and not every diet plan suits everyone. Ironically Atkins suits more people than CAD or CALP does. I'm not sure why that is, because the latter is much easier for me. Again, just shows everyone is different!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-05, 20:35

BF:
Progress:

I like saving up my carbs for dinner, because that is when I am most hungriest for the foods I love, and I get to eat a normal meal with my family. I am going to try to eat around 60 carbs a day, most of them with dinner.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 16:45
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

I really like both plans Atkins and CAD and both have worked for me when I could be dedicated to them. Last time when I was doing Atkins I got to a point where I just felt like I couldn't stick to it anymore and kept cheating to have just a regular dinner with my family not evan something really great or especially tempting so I decided to try CAD and that really fit that time in my life great...I got to goal on CAd and surpassed my original goal and felt great.

I am currently doing Atkins because I was having problems controlling and balencing my Reward Meals and Atkins felt like a better fit right now...but soon when it feels right I will switch back to CAD.

Oh I also don't eat more than 4 times a day even whne doing Atkins...just a hang over from CAD that works good for me...also no snacking/grazing eating over long periods of time.

On CAD I can consume more carbs per day and maintain/lose than on Atkins I figure on Atkins I can have 40-60 max and I gain, on CAD I may have 60-80 or more? but I don't eat big at my Control Meals and often was not hungry for breakfast.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 21:37

Plan: CALP
Stats: 140/125/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Interesting, Becca! I also have Atkins days thrown in here and there and everywhere.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 08:08

Stats: 165/163/134 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Question Moved lost book!

Can someone give the basic rules od CAD? I misplaced my book due to a relocation. Thanks ginger
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-05, 08:45

Plan: Plant-based
Stats: 200/168/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerale
Can someone give the basic rules od CAD? I misplaced my book due to a relocation. Thanks ginger

If you look in this forum a few pgs back you will find a thread titled "cheat sheet" that may help you a bit
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 21:43

Stats: -/-/- Female 5'3"
BF:way/too/much
Progress:

Does this work? Can you do Atkins and throw in a few CAD days? How exactly do you work this around? Does it have any bearing on your weight loss- do you gain, stall, lose? Thanks for any info you can provide!!! Dianne
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-04-05, 22:05
Registered Member

Plan: cad
Stats: 136/125/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it should be one or the other. When you do CAD the reward meal has to be within one hour but you cannot eat nuts for instance at any other meal or as a snack. The Hellers say nuts are carbohydrate act-alikes but Atkins allows nuts. In Atkins you are in ketosis but not in CAD. I cannot see how you could integrate both plans successfully. I guess it would be OK on CAD to have an Atkins day and just not have any big carbs in the reward meal but on Atkins you would not do a CAd day as you would no longer be in ketosis if you have a real reward meal.