Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 01:08
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
I make these little candies and eat them instead of desserts or snacks.

How? I've been thinking of trying that with mine.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 13:47

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Can someone post the recipe for the coconut oil treats??? I got my tropical traditions in and it does have a nice taste to it, but I am less brave than I thought and I don't see myself really eating it off a spoon or spreading it like butter.

Thanks!!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 08:52

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:

I bought a glass spray bottle for my coconut oil - it works great and no spilling, no mess. I guess in the winter this won't work because the oil hardens.

recipes for coconut oil : http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...87&postcount=60
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...50&postcount=58

There are other sections of this forum about coconut oil with a lot of info in them. It really matters what type and how its processed and if the oil is made from copra or milk, on and on... If you are serious about coconut oil, it requires some time and thought to make sure you are using the right kind. There is a ton of bad, cheap oil out there.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 10:39
library diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

I just bought some of this Saturday. The kind I got, which was more expensive, does have a coconut flavor to it. I used a few tsps in the protein shake I made - along with 2 tbsp natural pb, walden farms choc syrup, 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, cream, water, and ice. Good tasting. The coconut flavor definitely came through. I did feel a bit sick to my stomach later though. I am not sure if it was the coconut oil (the ony thing I'd never had before) or something else.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 11:39

BF:

Yeah you know, this morning I mixed a tablespoon of it into my coffee and drank it down and all morning I have felt nauseous. I can't decide if it's the oil, or not enough quality sleep last night, or my contacts (which often give me headaches and made me barfy)

I took my contacts out a few hours ago and feel better, but it was also a few hours ago that I had the coconut oil/coffee......
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 14:00
library diva

Plan: atkins
Stats: 242/156.5/130 Female 5'4"
BF:way/too/high
Progress: 76%

Will have to test it again. AT HOME!!!! When there is no risk of getting sick or having to run to the bathroom in front of coworkers.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 16:00

Plan: <1250 cal - Flexitarian
Stats: 243/199/130 Female 5'3.5"
BF:57%/Ugh/22%
Progress: 39%

Has anyone gotten any good (or bad) results as far as cholesterol readings? I just bought some CO today (Spectrum Naturals Expeller Pressed Organic Coconut Oil - it says refined for Medium High heat and neutral flavor), but I need to lower my cholesterol.

I have read about the benefits re: thyroid function (I have low thyroid) and increased energy, so that's why I thought I'd try it.

My only concern is the saturated fat and the cholesterol connection.

Thanks
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 20:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hey, sorry to leave you guys hanging.

Here's how I make my little candies:

melt 1C coconut oil (I use expeller-pressed from Tropical Traditions)
stir in 2T natty peanut butter
stir in 2T cocoa powder
Sweeten to taste, ideally with at least two sweeteners to lessen the potential bitterness of straight Splenda or straight stevia. I use 6 drops of Sweetzfree and a few good shakes of xylitol and that works fine.
Optional: add a couple drops of vanilla extract
Optional: add 2T of cinnamon. Chocolate, PB, and cinnamon is yum, and the cinnamon is good for ya!

Divvy up into a perfect 15-hole candy mold... or perhaps an ice cube tray. Pop it in the freezer until they harden up; shouldn't take long. Each serving is a little over a tablespoon.

Store in the refrigerator!

I've tried lots of other combinations, but this one is my favorite right now.

- -
on edit:

The barfy feeling might be candida die-off symptoms. Do a search for candida and maybe try the spit test if you have a lot of the symptoms...coconut oil helps kill the bad guys but apparently the die-off will make you feel pretty wretched for a day or two at first.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 06:24

BF:

Coconuts and coconut oil are laxitives. It took me 2 weeks to adjust to the oil. I had the weird stomach pain/cramps and I ran for the toilet a few times before I adapted to it.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 11:22

BF:

See, I haven't had the poops yet since starting coconut oil, but i have, after ingesting it, felt waves of nausea come over me. It's actually helped me be more regular, thank goodness, but I am scared to have my daily tblsp. this morning for fear I will feel barfy again.

So this could have something to do with Candida? Eek, would me getting suddenly sick with a head/sinus flu be part of it too? I got sick on Saturday (first time since October) and it seemed to have come out of nowhere.

I eat properly and exercise 5-6 times a week. THere should be no reason why I got sick!

Any input?
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 11:27

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I use about a tablespoon in my decaf every morning. No problems (don't know if it affects weight loss or not yet). What I do notice is that my hair feels much softer and healthier and my nails are actually growing longer and stronger. For years I couldn't get them to grow out past the quick without fraying, breaking, splitting, etc. Boy am I happy!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 09:55

Plan: zone
Stats: 147/145/130 Female 5 feet - 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Another good source for buying Virgin coconut oil is coconutoil-on line.com. It's about the same price as Tropical Traditions but tastes better.
Torson
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-05, 13:32

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I just got my Tropical Traditions oil after having tried some stuff from the health food store that was quite coconutty and sweet. Now I understand why people are trying to find ways to eat it...not quite as tasty. Now I can believe that this stuff could actually be good for me, the other seemed too good to be true. When I ran out of the other oil, my skin became dry and scaley again, so now I'm a believer in coconut oil.

I've heard that people have to start out gradually and work up their consumption because of bad gasto symptoms.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 09:20

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Does anyone taking the CO have updates??? Are you still taking it? I just got some and will start out slow and am crossing my fingers that I don't feel sick as some have posted!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 11:18

BF:

I am still using coconut oil as an cooking/baking oil - not as a supplement anymore. I haven't been sick one time since I started using it. I was sick quite a bit before, due to an enlarged tonsil. It didnt seem to help me lose weight, but my belly fat shrunk about an inch after a month or two of use and I wasnt on a diet at that time.