Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 16:34
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%
Default Fried pork rinds in a 'microwave popcorn bag'???

I was speeding thru the check out at Wally World(Walmart) and saw a package that looked just like a microwave popcorn package that said "Fried Pork Rinds" hot and spicy. When I felt the bag, it felt empty and never had a chance to really read what these were. Anyone know? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they were to be microwaved and they were 0 carbs...??? Might have been fried pork rind pops on the package? Afer 2 hours with a tired 4 year old and after skipping breakfast(I know Iknow) I couldn't be sure I even saw pork rinds...lol..no I did...just don't know what they were!!
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 17:17
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

A lot of people swear they're delicious. I tried them, and the smell made me gag so much I couldn't get past it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-27-05, 18:01
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

potato,
Do you actually cook them like popcorn> Just curious. I hate the things, but my hubby loves them! I used them for french toast once and while crunchen them up, I almost tossed my cookies!! lol
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 12:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/130 Female 5' 2
BF:22 %
Progress: 81%

Yes, you cook them just like microwave popcorn, except you don't hear any "popping" sound. The bag just gradually expands. I like them as a lunch on the go..........
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 13:24

Stats: 225/202/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 29%

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Omy gosh PORK RINDS, PORK SKINS, are a life saver for me..they actually make me feel full, the only think is sometimes they hurt the roof of my mouth..I cant wait to go to wal mart and find some I can put in the micro. Thanks for the info. [/ FONT]
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 13:25

Stats: 225/202/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 29%

Omy gosh PORK RINDS, PORK SKINS, are a life saver for me..they actually make me feel full, the only think is sometimes they hurt the roof of my mouth..I cant wait to go to wal mart and find some I can put in the micro. Thanks for the info. [/
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 16:05

Stats: 341/284.0/210 Male 72
BF:Unknown/32.5/17
Progress: 44%

I have a box of these in the pantry for emergencies only as I cant stand the way they smell when you "pop" em ha ha ha. They are decent at best and usually come out tough or burnt.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 18:17
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by juelz4u
potato,
Do you actually cook them like popcorn> Just curious. I hate the things, but my hubby loves them! I used them for french toast once and while crunchen them up, I almost tossed my cookies!! lol

Then you'll want to make your husband "pop" his own! You DO have to watch them closely and time them carefully, or they scorch and get even uglier!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 05:19
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

PLUS, they make your house smell somthing awful... P------YEW !

Angel
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 09:47

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Microwave pork rinds are the best!!! So much better than the ones in the bag. I have tried the ones from Walmart and they are not bad but I really like Lowrey's much better. There are also other brands that you can get online that people say are even better than Lowrey's (and have many more flavors) although I haven't tried them. There is one brand that you can buy in large buckets and then just use small paper bags to "pop" (much more economical this way).

The microwave pork rinds keep forever as long as they aren't "popped". The beauty is that not only do they taste so much better than the pre-bagged ones but they are always fresh when you "pop" them. You do have to experiment and find out the exact time needed to "pop" them in your microwave. They can burn quickly if cooked too long. I would always start with the recommended time and then adjust from there, accordingly. I, personally, have never noticed a bad smell when popping them.
The walmart ones and the Lowery ones come in two flavors... plain and hot & spicy. My husband and I love the hot and spicy ones dipped in plain sour cream. My husband does not lc and never wants to try any of my lc stuff. I had to force him to try the hot and spicy ones dipped in sour cream... now... he likes this snack even better than chips (and he is a true chip addict). I am really sorry that I ever introduced him because now I have to share... half!!!!

You should give them a try. If you don't like the Walmart brand, don't give up... try Lowery's or another brand. (I think the Lowery are two or three times better than the Walmart brand.) They are wonderful and can be used for so many things.

I use the plain ones for dips, spreads, chicken salad, etc. When I don't eat an entire bag, I save the remainder and grind them to coat meat and vegetables for frying. Shrimp is exceptional coated in the hot and spicy ones!

Phyllis
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 16:04
Registered Member

Stats: 255/240/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 11%

I loved these! They took about two minutes tops in my microwave. The directions say they are done when the bag stops expanding. They don't pop when cooking. However, the funny thing is when you take them out and while they cool off they pop like bacon cooking. Lol. I thought it was a hoot. They even pop in your mouth like that old candy pop rocks when we were little. I also found the hot & spiy ones. Wish I could find regular. The hot & spicy got to be a bit much for me about halfway through. But then again, I'm a wimp! Zero carbs though, and very yummy,I'll pick them up again!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 14:26

Plan: VLC
Stats: 321/299/280 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile Hi!

Hih "popcorn" porkrinds are very good!! Yeah, the smell the bad, but if you get past that you fine.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 23:08

Plan: none
Stats: 180/180/180 Male 69 in
BF:
Progress:
Default what store

is lowreys available in stores?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 17:07

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

But do they just taste like pork rinds? The stuff in the bags? Smelly faintly-bacon-tasing farts?

Or are they like real pork skin....?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-19-10, 06:06

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I usually get the bagged ones. I like them.

I have nuked the bagged ones a few times, they taste even better that way.

I will have to try these.

I like them dipped in sour creme or other dip.