Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/283/250 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default i seriously need help

I never noticed doing this before....but when i did this today i knew i needed help...all day today i found myself thinking about binging on carbs...i was thinking of the diffrent days i could binge...and what i would do afterwards to continue losing weight....like i was sitting and thinking about how on certain events i will binge on all the high carb food...and then the next day exercise twice as hard and try to use a laxitive....i have never done this before...it sounds like im trying to develop an eating disorder....now i refuse to do this whole binge thing...but im scared now because i have never had thoughts like these before....what should i do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:18

BF:

i forgot to add....the last few days i been really hungry and i have been binging on LC food like icecream sandwhiches....some atkins ice cream with peanut butter...slim jims....could this just be because of TOM or is something wrong?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:30

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%

well certain times of the month, your going to be more hungry than others, thats not the worrysome part. The laxative issue is what worries me.....

I am not sure what to tell you, on how to stop thinking that, but I do know its not healthy and you know that too thast why you posted.

A long time ago I couldnt stay on track with this woe, I had so much else going on it seemed like I'd never stick with it... SO I wrote myself a letter of all the reasons why I deserved to be healthier & happier, no other reasons on this list except the reasons pertaining to me... I posted it to my fridge and kept a copy in my purse for motivation & inspiration!! Try it and see if it helps you. Its easy to change the eating, its hard to change the emotions on why you eat that way in the first place, you have to get control of the negative self talk, and retrain your brain to say positive things.....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:39
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

I get that.....then I tell myself, "Once I get to 170..then I'll go get that chocolate cake, Krispy Kreme, whatever.."....somehow the urge subsides because I kind of gave myself permission to...but then I forget about it, so far its worked for me.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/197/150 Female 5'4"
BF:46% :(
Progress: 55%

I think it's common to dream (even at night) about eating regular foods. However you eating all those sweets, even low carb sweets CAN and WILL trigger cravings. I absolutely connot have powdered Splenda in any way because it causes cravings!

You're setting yourself up for failure by thinking you can not have those foods anymore. Try to think of it as CHOOSING to not have those foods anymore because they make you break out in FAT.

But seriously. Cut back on the frankenfoods, they are not good for ANYONE. They are just as junky, full of fake stuff that is simply not good for your body. If you want something sweet, try a couple strawberries. They are one carb each.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:46
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

First of all, I'd eliminate the LC ice cream and sweets from your menu altogether. If you feel the need to overeat, try devilled eggs or veggies, anything BUT carbs or carb-alikes. Drink lots of water.

Once your food is stable, you can address the feelings driving you. I suggest seeking out a professional if the feelings get too strong. If you can't/won't, then work out in your journal what you're feeling and keep coming back here for help....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:54

BF:

maybe the powdered splenda is causing me to have cravings too..i dont know if its because of TOM though.....and besides ive been under a lot of stress...im going to see how my feeling and emotions are on monday...i think i need to plan out my menus as i did before when on induction..but i am gonna try writing the letter, i dont think i would forget if i said "when i hit (enter weight here) i will eat blah blah blah"...i know when i hit that weight i will eat it....but i will try and see.....and as for posting in my journal....i do that already..and i have one person ( omg i love her for this) that comes to my journal EVERYDAY and she post which helps motivate me a little but i think i just need some more motivation or something
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 15:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/159/145 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hi, the laxitive thing scares me also, I had a friend how abused laxitives and after awhile she had a hard time controlling her bowles and actually pooped her pants during a very important business meeting, and it was not descrete. After that she thankfully got help. I don't mean to sound gross by this story but it is reality.
Take care
Astrid
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 16:02

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Step away from the laxatives! If you are eating lots of fiber (as in veggies) and drinking plenty of water, you don't need them. I have been where you are once, and i did not handle it well. Now i know better. If I continue to feel hungry after ihave had my meals or snacks then I allow myself to eat a whole plate full of raw veggies with a little low fat dip or dressing. I can have as much as I want. Still hungry? Okay go for a healthy lc meal, even if it is the fourth meal of the day. At least you aren't sabataging your lc lifestyle. Stay away from grain carbs for a while. maybe they are driving your hunger. i know that if I eat them early in the day i am bound to be eating all day long. I have to save them for the last mealof the day to stay in control. Now of course if you do eat that extra meal your weight loss will be slower but it is sure better than a gain. Wishing you a whoosh.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 18:15
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

I've had those thoughts before too. Your body is programmed with a biological imperative to binge on carbs and gain weight--it's how we survived as a species! I think this instinct gets mixed up with your intellectual knowledge that carb binging is bad and causes some weird feelings.

You can't necessarily control your thoughts, only your actions. The fact that you are terrified of doing these things is probably proof enough that you are sane

We're all here for you--just hang in there!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 18:21

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 247/149/120 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

Nikki,
You know I'm here for you chica!We'll get through this along with all the great help on this forum
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 20:45

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 242/233/185 Female 5'5
BF:i/dont/no
Progress: 16%
Default hey

One time ...a long time ago i went on a low carb diet,and lost 25lbs in the first 3 weeks. The real catch was I devolped what they call EDNOS (Eating disorder non other specified)Meaning i had serveral eating disorders, binge,anoreixa,so on and so forth. I had felt really out of control and felt awful a lot because it got to the point where i was not eating,and if and when i did eat i only ate a bowl of lettuce a day, it scared me..I loved losing the weight but when the doctors told me that i needed to stop the weight loss and start putting some weight on or maintaining, and i couldn't do it thats when i knew i had a problem..I then got pregnant,and i forced myself to eat, the first couple months it was hard, and then by the end of my pregnancy i started gaining OVER enough weight 100lbs....if your having these feelings i'd suggest talking to a counsler or a doctor, alot of them will look away if your not underweight and say"u dont have a problem,you're just really wanting to lose weight"But i would insisit on them listening to you, but then again they may make you stop losing weight. use your own judgement on this, because there isn't really much a doctor can do besides force feed you and prescribe anti depressants (which some put weight on you) If you think this problem will keep occuring you feel free to talk to me, because trust me it's not something that i'd do again..
Not trying to scare you or anything, i'm not a doctor, so maybe i'm wrong. Maybe your just edgar to lose those last pounds. Laxatives are addicting,and DOES not make you lose weight, it just gets rid of the already digested crap and doesn't do much from there...

Well hun good luck,and don't worry things will fall into place.

cherry
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 22:34

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%

I don't have any advice, just pure support. (((((((2cute))))))) hugs!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 02:49
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

...uhhh. . . this might sound a little strange, but. . . are you thirsty? Have you been getting in all your water?

I find I'm much more vulnerable to snack-attack ideas when I start getting dehydrated. Also, echo above advice to go back to the basics, maybe even induction for awhile, then when you start to eat more liberally, watch and see what it is that triggers the skinkin' thinkin', okay, kiddo?

Let us know how it's going. . .
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 04:35

BF:

wow kathleen....i had only had like 16 oz of water...and i had put crystal light in it when i did....maybe that was why....besides i didnt really eat all that great yesterday. i mean i ate LC but not full meals i dont know....thanks...and yeah i took everyones advice and im going back to induction and now im thinking of the healthy foods im going to have to try to find to eat during big events (out to dinner, graduation party's, picnics)..i think im going to eat a LC food before hand so that i will be slightly full... and then carry a snack or too just incase