Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:52

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default thanks

maybe we could have a no nuts day so i can banish my vices?(lol)
brenda

p.s. - i am slowly making it through v.1 of the project and finding it most insightful.

i never thought i'd invest this much time and energy into MYSELF. i have all of you to thank for bringing me up to the next level.
brenda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Calorie Boost discussion

Do, I'm thinking about this and am inclined to stick with the targetted minimum of 10 kCals, with option to go over residing with the individual.

Quote:
I wonder if it would be best to have the calorie boost days truly BE boosting calories, meaning ... have the calories of the two days ... the Stillman day, and the calorie boost day following ... average 10 calories per lb.

I truly had difficulty making 13X calories on CB Day, for the most part, and pretty well believe I need to keep calories down *somewhat* and the Stillman days helped me do that without hunger, which is why I proposed 2 Stillman's instead of a FF and a Stillman. My daily kCals averaged 9.6, 10.8, 10.8 and 11.5 over the 4 weeks of V1.2, with a final overall average of 10.7, so they were slowly climbing (accustomization?).

That's why I proposed a minimum of 10. There is room for individual tweaking in CB for those that need to eat more rather than less, whether it's spread out on RegLC and CB days, or just on CB days... It's also why only 2 Stillman and only 2 CB, it provides a measure of control, I think, without making it too easy to either undereat with more Stillman days or overeat with more CBs...
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile also ..

If my rusty memory serves correctly ... the Calorie boost days were pretty strict about limiting the source of carbs to green vegetables ONLY. So no eggplant or tomatoes or purple cauliflower! And NO NUTS!!! I think there was a 5-carb "grace" to permit such luxuries as coffee and eggs ... But, the thinking was that avoiding dairy on those days would also avoid the carbs from the lactose.

It was really difficult, and required discipline and creativity to get in the required 25g carbs from green veggies alone AND to eat enough overall calories after the lean protein fast without using cheese and cream to "pad" the menu!

I will likely join in the challenge ... I'll have to think about how my old fibro-body will respond .. I'm already working on upping my protein intake now, so it should be a fairly easy transition.

My biggest challenge will be trying to find a coffee that I can stand to drink without cream 4 days in a row. Ya, I confess to my addiction ... I'm working on that too.

Has an official start date been proposed yet??

Doreen
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 13:57
Registered Member

Default no Nuts?

We'd all have to go away

Seriously, unless there are nuts on your Regular LC (and you can do what YOU want to do on those days), Nuts aren't a requirement for either of the "controlled" (Stillman or CB) days on this Project V2.

Know Thyself
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 14:03
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: Calorie Boost discussion

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
I truly had difficulty making 13X calories on CB Day, for the most part,
No kidding!! Judi, I remember there were days I thought I was going to be sick, from eating so much!!

I actually started getting up early, so that I could start eating earlier in the day, and not be stuck late in the evening trying to stuff in 300 or 400 more calories' worth of food. Aacckk!

Until I clued in that I was eating mostly lean chicken and fish -- so I switched to nice juicy steaks, and added a little more mayo and olive oil into the equation

Doreen
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 14:14

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Re: Calorie Boost discussion

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
I actually started getting up early, so that I could start eating earlier in the day, and not be stuck late in the evening trying to stuff in 300 or 400 more calories' worth of food. Aacckk!

Awwww gee, Do. That's only 3 or 4 tablespoons of flax oil!

N
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 14:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: also ..

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
My biggest challenge will be trying to find a coffee that I can stand to drink without cream 4 days in a row.

OMG I hadn't thought of it that way. Time to stock up on some green tea I think.

N
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 14:23
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

Speaking of flax oil .... I'm going to stop counting it in my daily calories anyway, whether or not I decide to participate in this project.

According to Udo Erasmus, the EFA's, especially linoleic acids in flax -- are used by the body for non-energy purposes. "Sort of" like fiber ... they aren't used for calories (although they are absorbed). I'm taking 2 Tbsp flax oil a day, plus 1000 mg salmon oil for my fibromyalgia and other chronic health issues. I've added the salmon oil, rather than go up to 3 Tbsp of flax, to avoid creating a deficiency of Omega-6's, which can happen after about 6-months of Omega-3 (flax) alone, and I've been taking the flax daily since August.

This will be a good challenge for me, since undereating is a problem for me ... this will FORCE me to seek other foods to meet my calorie-requirement ... so more x.virgin olive oil or walnut oil, and larger meat portions.

Unless anybody wants to cry foul, and say I can't have the 2 Tbsp of flax oil on the low-fat protein days.???????

Doreen
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 19:53
Registered Member

Default supplement oils

Since I'm not aware of any of the encapsulated supplementary oils having calorie values on the label, seems reasonable to me to say this:

if you put it on food (salad, soup, shakes....) the oil(s) must be counted
if you take it in capsules or sip {shudder} it it's supplements and needn't be counted

Whatcha think, Do?

PS: pumpkin seed oil YUM YUM YUM
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 20:11
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: supplement oils

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl if you take it in capsules or sip {shudder} it[it's supplements and needn't be counted
the whole world knows I sip it, slurp it, glug it down off a spoon, chased with a glass of water (the morning dose gets chased with a glass of water mixed with NoSalt potassium chloride). Why?? because I'm TOUGH!

Quote:
PS: pumpkin seed oil YUM YUM YUM
PS: Hemp oil PUFF PUFF PUFF

ROFLsnort
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 20:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Re: supplement oils

Quote: ROFLsnort

That's me too after reading this thread!

OK, I'm going to go check out V1.2 & think about joining V2. I do believe that I need something to jolt me out of my LC rut. My challenges will be a week out of town (on Vanc Island, yay!) and of course the pre-christmas social round. Hmmm, but with 1 week of V2 under my belt, I may be able to manage the week away.

Inquiring minds want to know: why wait until Nov 23? Why start on a Friday? Is it so that on Christmas Day we are wonderfully slim, the lightest we've weighed in years and our clothes hang on us?
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-01, 21:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/190/165
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Should I or shouldn't I?

Yes!!! I should!

I had originally signed up for the Christmas Challenge, but I am in a stall and didn't want to feel discouraged for not losing. Found this challeng and have decided to bite the bullet and join.

So, I'm in!!! Love the idea of starting just after Thanksgiving (thanks for the thoughtfullness) and ending up with a new, slimmer us for Christmas.

This will give me time to plan out my menus so that I don't mess up and have to give up in the middle.

Here's to new adventures!

Lorrie
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 01:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Why?? because I'm TOUGH!

So, then you're tough enough for black coffee!

By my own thinking, the no dairy on CB days was to keep those days "clean" of dairy fats and to force you into looking at other fats as a calorie boost.

It was brilliant Doreen when you discovered that you were eating too much lean protein on CB days.

I didn't find CB difficult because I'm a piggy.

Karen
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 01:12
Registered Member

Cool WhooooooEeeeeeee guys!

Well, me and my 'machine' (and I use the word loosely) have survived Phase 3 of the Computer Troubles and Stabilization Project and it's still GRONKINGLY slow but somewhat better. 32mB more RAM (I'm not excited, it's only 64 now), somewhat cleaned up hard drive, 32-bit disk mgmnt, a USB port that works, a new and working floppy drive (for those emergency boots) and 1 full Backup down, 1 to go.

Ha! Probably more than ANYONE needs to know, so I won't go on about Phase 4 of the Computer Troubles and Stabilization project.

Darlings:
NAT! Fab new Pho-To! You look beeyootiful!
RUTH! Lorrie's kind of answered your question, I hope? I think it will be, like V1.2, maneuverable within a week or so (just to keep us kind of together) to allow for personal schedules and wishes. Say, probably anywhere within Nov 16th and 23rd for an officialstart date for reporting purposes...
DO! You SWILLER of oil, you. Watch out for the oil slick

Of course, you can start any time you want, might want to get in some practice on the tracking and planning (and reporting). I'm getting DESPERATE over here and think I will starting this coming Monday ... so Tuesdays will be my first Protein Day (portable homemade jerky to take to bowling and chow down while all about me swill beer and heft[B] fries/B] ! )

Last edited by IslandGirl : Fri, Nov-09-01 at 01:26.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-01, 22:39
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen

So, then you're tough enough for black coffee!
Indeed!

I've been looking for such love in all the wrong places! The problem was rot-gut coffee, not cream.

There's a story here, I'll save it for my Bootcamp journal .. Bottom line is, I rediscovered my old favourite that I used to drink black all the time. I've had it the last two mornings, black and wonderful. Coffee, that is

Doreen