Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 19:38

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%
Default When you pass a full length reflection... where does your eye go first?

Here's a bit of get-to-know you fun.

We never want to admit it, but most of us look at ourselves in shop windows, when we are squinting through the plate glass pretending to admire that *nice* pair of hip waders.

We know what stores in the mall have those narrow mirrors at their front entrance, and we grab a peek as we go by, slowing our pace ever so slightly. Might even double back a store or two for a second pass.

We get up in the morning and we do the front, back and side pose in the bathroom mirror to see if there's any visual change....

But where (what body part) does your eye go first ?

I'm a side-winder - I try to find a look sideways at my profile - I'm hung up on watching my pot belly. I'll walk past a window and do the sudden head turn - like there's a sale on something, and see how far it's sticking out -reminds me to suck it in.

Love to hear some ice-breaking stories of what everybody else does. Newbies? Oldtimers?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 19:54

Plan: Atkin's Diet
Stats: 243/216/105
BF:
Progress: 20%
Wink NO WAY!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't be caught dead RIGHT NOW looking at my reflection. I'm not where i wanna be yet!!!!!!!!

Now, for arguments sake, let's just say I was 105 pounds and I looked Hot!!!!!!!!!!Ouch,

Then I would be looking at my bum because I have a nice one when it's in shape!!!!!!!!! There u got it out of me.

(I hope I will be looking at my Bum One Day) (pondering the nice thought!)

Jessica
ok now all of u fess up, come on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 20:41

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yep, sidewinder here too. Looking now to make sure that straight line down from tummy is still straight; oh and to make sure that my shoulders are back. I love that my hips don't stick out like they used to and that there's no 'bulge' when I turn in profile.

Of course I have to check that my hair looks good too

N
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 20:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/194/130
BF:

Well, once upon a time I had a rear end like Jennifer Lopez! I still have a bubble butt.....just more of it! And, of course, with a larger rear, comes wider hips. That is my major problem area. So when I look in the mirrror (just at home cuz people would laugh at me if I did it in public!), I use a handheld mirror and stand in front of a larger mirror with my back to it while looking into the handheld. That way I can see my butt! Silly, I know, but for some reason the thought of one day seeing sagging panties on me makes me happy!!

I hope I didn't make you guys laugh too hard.

Angie
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 21:33

Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

mmm...nothing specific here - just the general "blob" usually averts my gaze!

...although I confess - like nat, it's nice to see those love handle wobbly bits disappearing

Whatever you do avoid crossing the street towards a shop front with mirror glass - the full frontal is tragic

Lesley
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 23:30

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

well, to make a short answer long..... when i was younger (well, let's just say before kids) i always looked at my hair. i had really good late 80's hair. then after kids, in the beginning, i was always looking to make sure i didn't have baby barf down my back, and to check out the bum (it got bigger w/ each one) then after the second kid, i would look to make sure i had clothes that at least matched and that i remembered to wear my shoes instead of my slippers. kid three, i think i stopped looking, or stopped going to malls, don't remember which.
now, i am always checking out the belly pouch (which bf says is sexy, YEA RIGHT, but thanks for trying) and to make sure i remembered to brush my hair.
so.... that's my answer, but when i've been strength training and lcing long enough, i'll be checking out my Madonna arm and Janet abs
brenda
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 23:52

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

Interesting Question...
Hmmm...I always used to sneak a peek, whenever the opportunity arose. Just to make sure I was looking together. Then one day...it was about a year ago...I caught my reflection in a window...and I swear...I looked behind me. I could not believe that was me in that reflection. The person I saw, was way too overweight to be me. I mean I have always had a weight problem, but I was always able to hide it pretty good. Well, in realizing that that reflection was me, I realized the hiding was over. One can only do so much. After that day, I pretty much stopped looking. I stored my full length mirror away, and didn't give it a second thought, because I was not ready to face myself. Since starting this LCing, I have taken the ol' mirror out, dusted it off, and look every day at myself. My eyes do not divert to one particular area, just the whole picture. It is hard to look at for the most part, but necessary just the same. I have noticed some changes. The so called "love handles" have gotten smaller, and the waist too. The hips and thighs, well they will take a while longer, it is always the last place to leave on me. I definitely have noticed a reduction in my face and chin area. And clothes are fitting better. I long for the day when I go try on clothes, and admire what is looking back at me. It will happen, I know it will.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 132/122/100 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

the first thing i notice is my gut and but is so big it makes me look like i have birdy legs..but thats all gonna change
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 15:10

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Sounds weird, but I look at my chest first. I went from a VERY FULL 40 C (just could never bring myself to buy a D cup) to a 36 C.
I guess I'm just afraid I'll loose them too! Sounds silly but I've gotten used to being a C cup. That's the one part of my body that I liked all these years of being FAT!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 19:48

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Way out there.

Okay, I guess you could say I have very high self esteem or I am just full of myself, but I tend to think of myself as a TALL person. Then I catch a glance of myself in a window and I always think - Gee, who's that short person? It's kind of odd.

In terms of dieting though, I'd love to tell you which body part I look at BUTT I don't think I will. I would BUTT it would be somewhat embarassing. I wrote it down here BUTT I erased it because it just looked stupid. And I'm sure no one here looks at the body part I do BUTT I thought I'd just put in my two cents anyway.

Ha ha.
N
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-01, 20:00
Registered Member

Stats: 210/194/130
BF:

NSmith, you crackme up! BUTT, I think we're in the same boat.

Angie
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 02:04

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Definitely a sidewinder because I too am checking out the little ol' pot belly.

From the front I look pretty good (w/ clothes on. w/o clothes you can see all my battle scars aka stretch marks. Not that I mind them. I think of them as Veteran's badges of honour and DH doesn't even notice because he's too busy trying to get his hands on me )

BUT, that dagnabbed pot belly just likes to keep sticking it's nose out!

I will not, I repeat, I WILL NOT revert to wearing girdles .

Hey, that makes me want to ask: What happens to all these famous stars that have twins and get really fat when pregnant and then lose all the weight afterwards? I know they must have stretch marks too but somehow they manage to be wearing skimpy clothes and showing off their bodies as if they never had children at all! What gives?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 08:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 249/230/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Reflections, Wonderful

Hello, Just had to reply on this one! The first place my eyes goes is to my mid area and my but. I dont want to see some belly potted over. I also look at my clothes as well as my shoes to make sure that they are flattering to my overweight body. Though I must say people like the doctors office or anyone that has to weigh me tells me that I carry my weight real well, that they would never have thought that I weighed that much. So my response to them is usually, thankyou but I must say that I would have been more thankful had you chose to say something like you carry your weight well, without throwing that that much in there. (ha ha)! But all in all I must say that I dont really like looking at my reflction because I dont like looking at what I let myself go to. Once I hit my goal weight then ask me that question, guarantee You cant get me out of the mirror!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 09:02

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/120/115
BF:
Progress:
Talking cool thread

I'm pretty new to this board (scroll up to see my introduction within another thread).

Anyways, I definitely look at myself more from the side to see if my belly has gone down. I've lost weight from everywhere, but my belly is lagging behind. However, I do see ab lines in there somewhere!!!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 09:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default ROFL...excellant post

Because of my body shape I like the side profile. I have very long legs and a short waist. In fact this is the 1st time in years I actually have a bit of a defined waste. Now here is something tho I want U all to think about. I have been at goal weight for over 2 months now BUT......when I look in the mirror I still see flaws. And we wonder why people have eating disorders???? Im 5' 6" and wear a size 10. Im 37 yrs old and had 2 kids by C-section. Do ya really think I can have a perfect body?????? NOOOOOO. So every time I look in the mirror and think " gee if only, if only" I give my head a shake and say " girl look where U were and look where U are now!" So any of U losing weight, dont get discouraged and think U still have a long ways to go. Accept yourself the way U are now and keep working at it.